• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Job - not this crap again!!!

Guys I know I bounce work ideas off you guys every once in a while. Well it's that time of the month again. :biggrin:

Well after seeing that myspace dude with 3 exotics, I got a nice break recently.

I started a new job a few weeks ago and I really love it. My co-workers and superiors love me. I'm making pretty good money as well to boot for 40 hours per week of work (let's say I don't need to stand by the freeway with a "will work for food" sign).

Anyway, I got a call from a good friend / former co-worker of mine, who just got promoted to a high level position. He asked me if I'd take his old job, and I'd work for him. Well this guy and I are great friends and get along great, and he'd make sure I'd succeed at his old job (which I have done before as well).

The only thing is the new job requires getting back on the road again. But I'd have a lot of flexibility working for my friend, so I could arrange to be home quite frequently.

To make the offer sweeter, I'd be getting a 40% raise in compensation! :eek:

What do you guys think?

Take the job and get a cushy position working for my buddy, get a 40% raise.

Or stay where I'm at, be happy, and don't be tempted? Keep in mind the job offer is for a job I used to do and love, and now I will have a buddy for a boss, whereas before I had a rather unpleasant boss whom I didn't get along with, which is why I left several years ago.

:confused:

Hmmm tough call. The only problem is what happens when something at work goes sour and it effects the friendship. That would be the one thing I can see as a potential conflict.

And the 40% increase in salary has to be a factor too. I say go for it!!!

40% raise never hurt anyone. I think I'll have to start asking for $1.40 instead of $1.00.

Seriously though, if you stated all your pros and cons, doesnt sound like a bad trade off at all.

If you take the job, can I have $1.40?:smile:

40% is 40% I guess, but order of magnitude makes a bid difference as well. If you are already being paid 'well'.... 40% represents a lot of cash.

As long as the new job does not introduce a stability issue... it may be worth a gamble. If you think you would be happier at your current job, perhaps inform them of the unsolicited offer by an old contact and let them know that you would like to stay if they can close some if not all of the $40% comp gap.

NsXMas said:
<snip> I started a new job a few weeks ago and I really love it. My co-workers and superiors love me. I'm making pretty good money as well to boot for 40 hours per week of work (let's say I don't need to stand by the freeway with a "will work for food" sign).

Anyway, I got a call from a good friend / former co-worker of mine, who just got promoted to a high level position. He asked me if I'd take his old job, and I'd work for him. Well this guy and I are great friends and get along great, and he'd make sure I'd succeed at his old job (which I have done before as well).

The only thing is the new job requires getting back on the road again. But I'd have a lot of flexibility working for my friend, so I could arrange to be home quite frequently.

To make the offer sweeter, I'd be getting a 40% raise in compensation! :eek:

What do you guys think? Take the job and get a cushy position working for my buddy, get a 40% raise.

Or stay where I'm at, be happy, and don't be tempted? Keep in mind the job offer is for a job I used to do and love, and now I will have a buddy for a boss, whereas before I had a rather unpleasant boss whom I didn't get along with, which is why I left several years ago. :confused:
i don't recall the industry you work in but a couple of thoughts come to mind:
1) is the 40% ote or guaranteed?
2) if the job were open to interviewing, could / would you be the #1 choice or are you in the role because you're his friend; in other words, if your friend to gets shot / hit by a bus and you were left in the company w/out him, what "standing" would you have?
3) would you want the job if your friend weren't there?
4) in your industry, if you were to leave for any reason in the next 12 months, would you job longevity survive scrutiny in your industry?

in '85 i accepted a job that an older friend created in his company. turns out i was the right guy for the gig; it changed the company's future (sales went from <$1M - >$12M in 15 months, they sold it for a bit of cash) and it changed my life.

good luck.

Sig said:
perhaps inform them of the unsolicited offer by an old contact and let them know that you would like to stay if they can close some if not all of the $40% comp gap.

I wouldn't do this: if it is the money the real driver then go to your friend and do not show your current employer that it is money the reason for the leave. It may turn against you in the long run, specially if they agree on a pay rise and the relationship would probably be compromised.

Would you go to your friend's if he was not the boss/if he was not there but the 40% increase remained true?

To me money isn't everything.

I have turned down jobs that would of included a lot more than a 40% raise. Why? I like my lifestyle, with the new job I would of been on the road a lot, couldn't plan vacations as easily, hang out with friends, would have to miss things I would deem important. I like to workout and eat fairly well that is not always possible when you are on the road and living in hotels either, you can really run your body into the ground in a travelling position, dinners on the company, drinking etc. I like my social life too...its all a trade off but I do know some guys who have gone down that path and their biggest regret is that they worked so much through their late twenties that they feel like they gave up a huge part of their life.

The ironic thing is that since they were on the road they didn't buy homes as I have...I have more money in equity in my home than they have in the bank...they do have nice cars but they are never around to drive them.

Also as someone pointed out what would happen if your working relationship went south with your friend, what if you have working disagreements, are you going to be able to leave that at the office?

Another question to ask is what is your potential for growth at your current job.

Lot to think about, let us know what you decide:smile:

Carl

ccns23 said:
Hmmm tough call. The only problem is what happens when something at work goes sour and it effects the friendship. That would be the one thing I can see as a potential conflict.

And the 40% increase in salary has to be a factor too. I say go for it!!!

What he said. Seems like a great offer, but with the possibility of problems at work then translating into problems between your friendship, thats a tough call. :confused:

Oops... I missed the part about traveling. Frank, honestly I would never take a job where travel was a big part of it (almost never). 40% is no joke though when you're making 6 figures or more (especially when it's substantially more). I'm assuming your friend is a work buddy that you met at the job that you were at previously. If this is the case, then you already have a proven history of working well together and enjoying each other's company. I know how difficult it can be to leave a job soon after you start when they've already invested a lot of time and money getting you aboard (read: Intel :wink: :smile:). In the end, you have to do what is best for you though. If 40% means that you can send your kids to an Ivy league college... go for it. Put in some time and get out after 2-3 years, then take a 10% pay cut on the way out. I hope it all works out well for you Frank!!!!!!!

donwon said:
40% raise never hurt anyone. I think I'll have to start asking for $1.40 instead of $1.00.

Seriously though, if you stated all your pros and cons, doesnt sound like a bad trade off at all.

If you take the job, can I have $1.40?:smile:

Sorry you are capped at a $1.00 the company can not afford anymore. If you need me I will be on the golf course.
Sincerely, your boss!

I say that it sound slike an awesome offer, but there is the rule (mentioned before) that you should never mix friends and business.

Thanks Guys for the feedback.

Just to clarify - this is a co-worker that I worked with, and we became good friends through work. So I don't have any concern about mixing friends & business, because we worked together in the same roles before.

I've decided that if everything pans out, I'm leaning towards working for my buddy. That would mean some extra nice toys or savings each year!!! :D

Be like Fight Club. Split your personality in half and work both jobs with two different personas unbeknownst to each other. You’ll be crazy sleepy, but at the end of the day, you’ll be like “where’d the heck did all this money come from!”

Vega$ NSX said:
Be like Fight Club. Split your personality in half and work both jobs with two different personas unbeknownst to each other. You’ll be crazy sleepy, but at the end of the day, you’ll be like “where’d the heck did all this money come from!”

Haha best response yet :smile:

ABhagat said:
Haha best response yet :smile:

Forget the split personality thing, just go into your bosses office and beat yourself up.

Anywho, to the OP, you just started this job but the first thing you mention is wanting to have money. Things can quickly change in a new job. You may want to determine possible future positions with your friend. If they're not going to be available, it sounds like a move is in your future.

Personally, I'd take the job working for a friend, for that very reason, I'd be working for a friend. I've found that work is only as fun as it is when things are going bad. Having real friends at work let you look back at the good old times. Having fake friends at work make those the bad jobs you just couldn't wait to get out of.

Back