• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just bought a 2005 modded.......comments please

I really don't think the automatics will be "more valuable" some day. If you look at the prices of the C2 Corvettes you'll find that the automatics don't bring as much money. That being said there will always be a need for automatic cars because some folks never learn how to drive a stick. On that same topic a buddy of mine has a brother who used to fly the F117 fighter (now flies F16's) and he never learned how to drive a stick. I always thought that was funny.

Beautiful car by the way. Enjoy it.

Not interested in starting a battle over manual/automatic.....but consider that perhaps the single most important factor in collector car value is rarity. You can see any number of collector cars whose value has been driven up by a single, trivial option that was ordered on the car, making it one of one. By the time these cars start acquiring serious value, they'll be purchased by collectors who will probably be driving them very little. Given that in any particular year Honda built about 7-12 automatics and several hundred/thousand manuals - well, you do the math. Just my opinion - certainly won't deny you yours.

Not interested in starting a battle over manual/automatic.....but consider that perhaps the single most important factor in collector car value is rarity. You can see any number of collector cars whose value has been driven up by a single, trivial option that was ordered on the car, making it one of one. By the time these cars start acquiring serious value, they'll be purchased by collectors who will probably be driving them very little. Given that in any particular year Honda built about 7-12 automatics and several hundred/thousand manuals - well, you do the math. Just my opinion - certainly won't deny you yours.

I think this is a cool car. Minus 2 things of course that it is auto and those wheels. I watched this car for a while and wondered if anybody would buy it cuz mostly its auto. If your daily driving this car this is a perfect car.I hope you enjoy it.

Ok, it's a great looking car and you've got all the nice stuff of the 02+ cars with the interior upgrades - and everyone loves that about the last gen cars. I think of them, rightly or wrongly, as the NA3s but it's just nomenclature. You've got a great car - wish mine was as new but the car I have - I like the coupe.

Anyway, no one has been willing to venture a guess as to what you may have paid for the car. If this were a manual tranny with the SC and being an 05 and having an SC it most likely would have gone for 55k to 60k - somewhere in there and maybe more - but probably not seeing how we are in a depression of sorts. But you don't have a manual - if it didn't have the SC but was just a stock automatic - I would say that would reduce it's value by as much as 5 to 8k - that's a big range which would put it at 50k to 55k. But you have the SC - I would say a good deal on that car with the mileage so low would be around 55k. You may have paid around 58k. Not bad.

Here's what I would say to you, depending on how you drive and what you are looking for out of this car- you may seriously want to think about what the SC might do to that auto tranny. Recently we've had a fellow on here that has around 100k miles on an earlier model coupe automatic - he took it to the track - ran it hard over two days - he lost the transmission. Now maybe they changed the automatic since the early cars - maybe they didn't I really don't know but I believe that indicates an inherant weakness and what Honda expected the drivers that went automatic to drive like. Not hard that is. With that in mind if you take it easy you may be able to stand the extra power if it's not applied with happless abandon - like many would be tempted to do. If you can't stand that temptation - then you may want to consider selling the SC and still you may not want to be standing on the throttle. That would at least put 5 to maybe 7k in your pocket.

I'm sure you will enjoy the car - it is a real looker! I hope you got a great deal. Would it be ok to ask why you opted for the automatic?

Good luck with it - it's a beauty! Congratulations on the purchase.

Anyway, no one has been willing to venture a guess as to what you may have paid for the car. If this were a manual tranny with the SC and being an 05 and having an SC it most likely would have gone for 55k to 60k - somewhere in there and maybe more - but probably not seeing how we are in a depression of sorts. But you don't have a manual - if it didn't have the SC but was just a stock automatic - I would say that would reduce it's value by as much as 5 to 8k - that's a big range which would put it at 50k to 55k. But you have the SC - I would say a good deal on that car with the mileage so low would be around 55k. You may have paid around 58k. Not bad.

Here's what I would say to you, depending on how you drive and what you are looking for out of this car- you may seriously want to think about what the SC might do to that auto tranny. Recently we've had a fellow on here that has around 100k miles on an earlier model coupe automatic - he took it to the track - ran it hard over two days - he lost the transmission. Now maybe they changed the automatic since the early cars - maybe they didn't I really don't know but I believe that indicates an inherant weakness and what Honda expected the drivers that went automatic to drive like. Not hard that is. With that in mind if you take it easy you may be able to stand the extra power if it's not applied with happless abandon - like many would be tempted to do. If you can't stand that temptation - then you may want to consider selling the SC and still you may not want to be standing on the throttle. That would at least put 5 to maybe 7k in your pocket.

I'm sure you will enjoy the car - it is a real looker! I hope you got a great deal. Would it be ok to ask why you opted for the automatic?

Good luck with it - it's a beauty! Congratulations on the purchase.

Supply and demand. There is close to 0 silver\black 05's out there for sale. So it was out of nothing else being available that brought it about.

As far as price, given it is a auto, with a SC and only has 13K miles, I thought around $55K would be fair. Now I think it may be a bit high. But who knows. I am a stickler about getting a good deal lol

Supply and demand. There is close to 0 silver\black 05's out there for sale. So it was out of nothing else being available that brought it about.

As far as price, given it is a auto, with a SC and only has 13K miles, I thought around $55K would be fair. Now I think it may be a bit high. But who knows. I am a stickler about getting a good deal lol

If you got this car for 55k I'd say you did very well. The darned Comptech SC is worth 5 to 7k no doubt. So you didn't go wrong. If you sell that off and get 5k for it even - you will have done very well. If I were you I'd seriously think about that. How does the tranny feel to you?

55K? Wow I over guess by over 10K. Good jorb.

congrats.. on a beautiful car, you did very well for the 05 year,with very low mile, the wheels, and SC. enjoy her for now and down the road if you want sell the SC and convert her back to oem stock for the last model year, i say you will come out on top.

Dont waste your time asking these guys about an auto nsx. They just dont know and speaking out the backside. How do Speak on something when You have No First Hand Experience with it? And say it like you know for sure when in reality you really dont know.
Drive your car and drive it hard and YOU get back to us on how strong the tranny is or isnt. As you know more than ANY of these guys who Dont have or Never had an Auto nsx.
If a year from now you say your having tranny problems. THAN ONLY THAN FINALLY SOMEONE WITH FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE IS SPEAKING AND ALL OTHER AUTO NSX OWNERS SHOULD LISTEN.

You are and I am the test subjects on these auto trannys with turbo and SC on them that can let these people know if it works or not. As they have NO OTHER PRIMER ON NSXPRIME who they can point at and say hey it worked for him or didnt work for him.
If I am wrong a year from now on my car or yours I WILL BE THE FIRST TO COME HERE AND ADMITT it so OThers dont make the same mistake. As No one BEFORE ME and you HAS came on here and said hey I tried it and it didnt work.
My Whole point is drive it, Enjoy it and than YOU tell US how the tranny holds up or Doesnt hold up. AS you are the living example on if it does hold up or not.[/B]
Happy Motoring!!

Last edited:

Not sure if you saw this thread or not, but it was under the owners discussion forum. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142479. Level 10 http://www.levelten.com/ is located in New Jersey...may want to consider checking into this if you are concerned about the auto handling the added power. I've never dealt with them, but it may be worth looking into. I have heard many different sides about autos. Some people say Honda went conservative with the auto and underestimated what it can take, others argue that had it right. If I went CTSC I would consider the level 10 transmission upgrade. Seems like a better option than removing the sc :wink:.

congrats.. on a beautiful car, you did very well for the 05 year,with very low mile, the wheels, and SC. enjoy her for now and down the road if you want sell the SC and convert her back to oem stock for the last model year, i say you will come out on top.

I was thinking the same thing !!
And updates to come on how it runs with the auto!

Owned 5 NSX's...last being '05 6 speed. 1 of those was an auto - '97 Spa Yellow T (first year for yellow on an NSX - loved the color on the NSX) & had just come out of a black '94 5 speed coupe.

Installed Comptech headers, exhaust, intake, Eibachs etc. Still never felt the car had enough muscle even with the mods. At Monterey/Laguna Seca '99 NSXPO it won "Best of Show" in the Zymol Concours (170+ cars that year). The driver's school at the track proved the unwinding of my feelings that an auto was just as good as a manual. It was never in the right gear at the right time ever. Switching it to manual mode using the lever behind the steering wheel was a joke too. Was a complete slushbox. Obviously looks weren't everything.

At NSXPO, Acura had a Zanardi on display at the track and hotel. When I returned back to WA, dumped the '97 & purchased #17 Zanardi. Did all the Comptech equipment including the S/C. That was the ultimate NSX & never should never have sold it!

In closing, way back, I owned a '69 Yenko Chevelle w/auto, the exception was that I installed a Hydromotive Manual Control Valve Body in the GM400 transmission. That auto knew how to do it's job. Never should have sold that one either........

Below at Laguna Seca NSX drivers school:

8860NSX_Laguna_Seca_1.jpg

Last edited:
well with the SC its a has a tiny bit more HP that a bone Stock Manual tranny. with that being said someone is gonna post the dyno of this car and make me feel stupid so go ahead and post it

nice car. the rims alone are worth 4-5K HRE right?

I am sorry I just cant get over the Auto tranny.

dont track it cuz with that torque with the SC you will tear that tranny up.

thats why they DE-TUNED the Auto engines to reduce the torque as the tranny cant handle it.

its still only 3.0L engine 1991-2005 autos are 3.0L.

dont floor it. you might hear a bang and a clank that would be your tranny

WTF ????!!! :confused:

I do not under what the wtf is about? Are this comments that far out there?

I think it was the a/t comments and the last statement lol

gotcha, well shawn is known to be very vocal and appears to not think before he types lol. but thats how he feels can't knock a man for standing for his beliefs. I like most manual owners prefer the stick over the automatic for our own reasons. I will reserve final judgment until I see how well that trans holds up. Baynsac made a good point, non of us have long term experience on the durability of the auto with prolonged hard use. If your trans holds up than that will be great.

Last edited:
Our regional Honda tech/service rep was in our store today and we discussed the causes of Honda's automatic failures in their Odyssey's 10 years ago. He suggested that the transmission fluid be completely flushed out of Honda Automatics every 15,000 miles. If you were doing heavy duty (we discussed towing - you have higher HP) he would drain old out, fill it up, then cycle the transmission, drain the fluid - do it three times, and that should get rid of 90% of the old fluid.

He recommended it be done this way because the Honda A/T transmissions are different than the GM A/T transmissions in how you can drop the pan & screen and get the fluid out. The contaminents in the fluid can screw up the transmission so just draining/changing it once may not get all the old fluid out of a Honda A/T. I suggest you do this process with your A/T NSX now that it is your car.

Ok I just finalized the price and subsequent purchase on this 2005:

05 ACURA NSX-T
4-spd A/T
13,760 miles
Comptech Super Charger
Comptech Headers
HRE Rims
Lojack

My questions are:

What do you think I should have paid for it ???
I know people are anti a/t and CTSC kits, but if it not “beat on” is it really an issue ??
Honest thoughts, comments or opinions on the car ????

Thanks everyone and it is nice to have another NSX. The last one was a 93 about 7 years ago.

i read or watched somewhere that it is smart to buy an auto NSX because they are usually babied and therefore more reliable than a stick, since most people replace the 5 speeds with 6 speeds simply replace the auto with a 6 speed and you have the best of both worlds ( a reliable 6 speed).

i read or watched somewhere that it is smart to buy an auto NSX because they are usually babied and therefore more reliable than a stick, since most people replace the 5 speeds with 6 speeds simply replace the auto with a 6 speed and you have the best of both worlds ( a reliable 6 speed).

You saw that misinformation at best motoring hot versions when they were testing tuned na1's against the na2 R.

The best way to get a manual nsx is to purchase a manual nsx. The difference between the 2 models are more than just the transmission. The cams are different, the redline is 1000rpm lower, and depending on displacement you are at a 20-40hp disadvantage. Their reasoning is the dumbest reasoning I have ever heard. It is prohibitively expensive to do and you will still be behind the curve on a "true" manual nsx.

lets do some math here

a clean 91 5 speed will cost $25-30K

a clean 01 auto will cost $25K now add used trans for $3K, clutch kit for $1200, master cylinder, slave cylinder $300, Cams $1200, Ecu reflash to raise redline $300, labor $2000 + so that = $33000.

and you will have horrible resale not to mention that its still a science project in the end.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that no auto company has perfected the auto/manual trans. BMW's SMG and Ferrari's F1 gearbox is basically a manual with a hydraulically actuated clutch. The vehicle rolls backwards on a hill in neurtal and all. You can feel the car jerk as it bangs shifts.

That would be the old style sequential gear box's though since the dual clutch DSG style trans like the ones found in VW's and the GTR is the wave of the future. They have uninterrupted power delivery and behaves like a true manual but only faster.

You saw that misinformation at best motoring hot versions when they were testing tuned na1's against the na2 R.

The best way to get a manual nsx is to purchase a manual nsx. The difference between the 2 models are more than just the transmission. The cams are different, the redline is 1000rpm lower, and depending on displacement you are at a 20-40hp disadvantage. Their reasoning is the dumbest reasoning I have ever heard. It is prohibitively expensive to do and you will still be behind the curve on a "true" manual nsx.

lets do some math here

a clean 91 5 speed will cost $25-30K

a clean 01 auto will cost $25K now add used trans for $3K, clutch kit for $1200, master cylinder, slave cylinder $300, Cams $1200, Ecu reflash to raise redline $300, labor $2000 + so that = $33000.

and you will have horrible resale not to mention that its still a science project in the end.

i think that is where is saw it. probably on u-tube. i think you are correct - it is a bad idea.

Congrats on your purchase, I'm assuming the auto transmission had something to do with the price. Great deal!

I guess, that and a soft economy.

Back