• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just got the car back, now it wont start

Just got the car back from the shop. Started fine, drove like a dream, made a few pit stops on the way home. No problems. Get it home and wash her then boom wont start. Will fire for less then a sec (the engine dies before your hand is off the key). Assuming this is the main relay, engine is getting power, but no fuel (at least thats the assumption among the friends and i).

Just checking to see if everyone agrees.

Edit: I think god hates me. Havent got to drive the car since April. :(

Check your fuses and if those all look ok, pull the main relay and check the solder joints.

So..
Te car cranks over for a little bit and then dies? Appears that it's not getting fuel - then it's probably not getting fuel.

Check the fuses, especially the fuel pump fuse which if, I remember properly, is the 3 or 4th under the dash 15 amp fuse.

If that looks good, you'll have to listen for the fuel pump if it clicks on with some help. If you have a loud ass fuel pump like me, it'll be easy. You can also turn it to the first position and give it some gas, you may be able to hear (or not hear) fuel being pumped into the cylinders.

Main relay could still be a factor, but usually when it cools down ( at lest for me, for now) it works since the joints contract enough...

What was it in the shop for? Tell us exactly what is going on.

So..
Te car cranks over for a little bit and then dies? Appears that it's not getting fuel - then it's probably not getting fuel.

Check the fuses, especially the fuel pump fuse which if, I remember properly, is the 3 or 4th under the dash 15 amp fuse.

If that looks good, you'll have to listen for the fuel pump if it clicks on with some help. If you have a loud ass fuel pump like me, it'll be easy. You can also turn it to the first position and give it some gas, you may be able to hear (or not hear) fuel being pumped into the cylinders.

Main relay could still be a factor, but usually when it cools down ( at lest for me, for now) it works since the joints contract enough...

What was it in the shop for? Tell us exactly what is going on.

had the timing belt/timing belt tensioner/water pump/thermostat/rear tires/brakes done

not the relay just tested it with the casing off and you can hear/see the springs move when the car is turned over. Engine will stay running as long as I keep the key turned. Shuts off as soon as I let off the starter.

I'm stumped.

Still think it's not getting fuel. Will check all the fuses

i had the same issue on mine a couple of years ago...
the car would start when i cranked the key but when i let go of the key the motor would stop.

i don't remeber the exact part name but my issuse was the ignition itself where, or atleast the piece at the very back where the contacts are, was worn out. when removing the ignition from the column i needed to replace the very back piece with all the electrical wires comming out if it.
your problem sounds similiar to mine, so i hope this helps.....

Vikas

Last edited:
It could be the ignition switch pigtail problem. Once you turn the key to start and the ignition switch should fall back to "ON" position but the pigtail terminal may move further to the "ACC" position which cause the car to stall so that's why once you use your hand to hold the key, the car doesn't stall. That's happen to my old ass Accord!!
Just my guess....:biggrin:

I would also call the shop and tell them about it. Strange that:
1.) You took the car in for major work
2.) Took the car home

and then it won't start..

Ask them if htey tried to start it and if it had any of these issues, if they touched anything electrical, if they may have affected the ignition or fuel delivery, hoses etc...

If they act fishy or doge the question, then you should suspect something is up.. If they know NSX's, they should be able to point you in the right direction, or offer to take a look at the car for free to determine whether it's something they did, or whether it's a conicidence

I would also call the shop and tell them about it. Strange that:
1.) You took the car in for major work
2.) Took the car home

and then it won't start..

Ask them if htey tried to start it and if it had any of these issues, if they touched anything electrical, if they may have affected the ignition or fuel delivery, hoses etc...

If they act fishy or doge the question, then you should suspect something is up.. If they know NSX's, they should be able to point you in the right direction, or offer to take a look at the car for free to determine whether it's something they did, or whether it's a conicidence

Oh ray was very honest, he's probably one of the best tuners/mechanics for imports in the entire state.

not the relay just tested it with the casing off and you can hear/see the springs move when the car is turned over. Engine will stay running as long as I keep the key turned. Shuts off as soon as I let off the starter.

I'm stumped.

Still think it's not getting fuel. Will check all the fuses

I would check the connector for the Fuel Pump Resistor located directly above the fuel filter in the engine bay. If this is not connected it is the exact symptom;).

HTH,
LarryB

Sounds like the ignition switch to me;

If you are satisfied that the main relay is OK, pull the pigtail off the back of the ignition switch.

It should be simple to open it up and clean the contacts, or at least see their condition and decide if you need a new one.

mine cost $60 plus shipping - 45 minute job (should have kept up with the yoga)

totally off topic.
I assure you God doesn't hate you. If so, you wouldn't be here to tell us of your car problems.
FWIW, I haven't driven my car since February.

This might be a clue-
"Get it home and "wash her" then boom wont start."
Maybe water on coil packs etc. I always drive for 15 minutes or so, immediately after washing, to evaporate water from the engine compartment. If you have an air compressor- blow off the entire engine. Air, fuel and spark are all that's needed to run, assuming water isn't shorting out the electrics.

Fixed it. Never would of thought of this.

Orange connector in the passenger foot well was unplugged (Labeled #460 on the electrical diagram for Security System)

Plugged it back in and BOOM fired right up, running rough right now, but probably from messing with the damn fuel system for the last 3 days thinking my relay was out.

Fixed it. Never would of thought of this.

Orange connector in the passenger foot well was unplugged (Labeled #460 on the electrical diagram for Security System)

Plugged it back in and BOOM fired right up, running rough right now, but probably from messing with the damn fuel system for the last 3 days thinking my relay was out.

Congrats! That kind of stuff happens tome all the time.... The service manual should have a, "before you try real diagnostics,
try id10t stuff first like connector and ground wire attached." :) I can't tell you how many times this was the case

It could be the ignition switch pigtail problem. Once you turn the key to start and the ignition switch should fall back to "ON" position but the pigtail terminal may move further to the "ACC" position which cause the car to stall so that's why once you use your hand to hold the key, the car doesn't stall. That's happen to my old ass Accord!!
Just my guess....:biggrin:

Pretty sure this is the problem. Got the car running beautifully the friday. New plugs in and everything was fine. Got just outside of town yesterday and the car just dies while doing 50 on the road. Wont start.

I put the ignition in 1 position and i get stereo and ac. Put it in 2 position, still only stereo and ac. Have to turn the key almost to the point its about to crank the engine before I get dash lights and power to the windows and everything else. Car refuses to start at all now. Had to get it towed back home.

Anyone happen to have part numbers for the ignition switch/system. I'm digging thru acuraoemparts.com and its rather horrible at finding a specific part unless you have the numbers already

Back