• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

Re: Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

Salesman said to me.

"Don't touch the interior pieces." Gave me a good stare. I just walked out and bought the car somewhere else. Ended up buying one from Boulder.:rolleyes:

Re: Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

When mom was looking to choose between an RL, and a GS.

The dealer walks us over to an ES and says that it beats the RL in every category. He tried telling me that the ES has 300 horse but I wouldnt buy it. Instead we ended up buying an 03 RL instead of 05 from that same lexus dealer. we traded in an 05 impala (biggest POS), he then told us that our impala is a peice of crap american junk, its used for rentals and its for the lower class. Of course this was after we bought the RL. but its gone now.

I was going to trade my 1990 300ZX in for an Acura Integra back in 1995. They took it for a test drive, and offered me $4500. I almost fell over. I said do you know what this car cost brand new? He said "um I don't know $12K" I said it was $38k, and I am insulted that you would even consider offering me $4500 for a 5 year old car with aftermarket wheels. I walked. I sold it in the paper for 5 times their offer.

I also stopped at a Honda dealer asking about the rumor of a CTR coming out. (ended up being the Si hatch instead) but three Honda sales guys said "whats a CTR?" I said it is just like the ITR, but a civic instead. They looked confused. :biggrin: I said Integra Type R. They said we don't sell Integra's. I am like no shit idiots. They had no clue if a Si was even coming out. I told them that they are out, and they had one on the lot! Again I was here asking about the CTR rumor. Man it was like I was talking to the wall.

I was at a GM dealer once getting a work car oil change, and I overheard the sales guy bragging to a customer about the Caddy Catera, and how Caddilac put a lot of technology, testing etc to get this car right. I interjected a "GM bought it from Opel in Europe, it is not a real Caddilac, it is imported, and re-badged" He did not know what to say.

steveny said:
Driving a 4WD vehicle in tight circles will create wheel hop. An AWD vehicle will not have wheel hop while in AWD mode.

I have never had wheel hop driving a 4wd vehicle in tight circles unless you lock the differentials but that wouldn't be good for the vehicle at all.

Carguy! said:
I have never had wheel hop driving a 4wd vehicle in tight circles unless you lock the differentials but that wouldn't be good for the vehicle at all.

If the hubs are not locked there is no 4wd so you would not have wheel hop.

The only Mazda dealership around me refused to honor the warranty of the engine they installed in my old FD because I had aftermarket seats installed between the time I got the car back from them and the month and a half it took the motor to die. Soon after that I sold the FD and got into the Honda world.

AutoEuphoria said:
The only Mazda dealership around me refused to honor the warranty of the engine they installed in my old FD because I had aftermarket seats installed between the time I got the car back from them and the month and a half it took the motor to die. Soon after that I sold the FD and got into the Honda world.

I can understand this if it were racing seats. :biggrin: I wonder if they would have denied coverage if you had installed super plush van seats or Cadillac seat from and old 70's eldorado? :biggrin:

steveny said:
If the hubs are not locked there is no 4wd so you would not have wheel hop.

I haven't had a car that had manual hubs that you needed to turn since an '89 Bronco. Believe me you can put most vehicles in 4wd and you won't get wheel hop, if you don't believe me go to any Ford, GM or Chrysler dealership and try it on one of their trucks.

Carguy! said:
I haven't had a car that had manual hubs that you needed to turn since an '89 Bronco. Believe me you can put most vehicles in 4wd and you won't get wheel hop, if you don't believe me go to any Ford, GM or Chrysler dealership and try it on one of their trucks.

Last four trucks I have owned, 97 f-150 ford 4wd, 99 Silverado 4wd, 2002 Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd, Current truck 05 Titan 4wd. All of them had/have automatic locking hubs from a 2wd/4wd/4wd-low switch on the dash. All of them have/had wheel hop when in 4wd mode and I was making tight turns with the truck.
I have a Phaeton, Touareg and a Audi A-6 4.2 all AWD no wheel hop with any of those vehicles while making tight turns.
Here is a good article about each system. They refer to hop as crow hop.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/healey/sidebars/2001-02-23-impreza-side.htm

Anosa said:
I am a 19 year old but i am saving every cent for my NSX, even with this im still dismissed at car dealerships when looking at most cars, ie i go to a honda dealership to look at an s2k and am quickly shown to the new civic. ( which in my opinion is terrible... ( the gauges are awfull and the engine bays too small )QUOTE]

Hi,

Respect for saving already for the NSX - you won't regret it! Only think of interest is your criticism on the new Civic for not having enough engine bay space? I have to say that isn't the deal breaker for me when buying a car...:confused:

Are you worried you won't get your 3.2 V6 in there or something?

Cheers,

Matt.

It's not technically wheel hop. It's binding in the transfer case since it doesn't have a differential. No way to allow front & rear drive shafts to turn at different speeds unless you are on snow/ice/mud where the lack of traction allows for it by wheel spin. Which is why you're not supposed to use real 4WD on DRY roads. If they are dry, that's what 2WD is for.

RED/BLACKUK3.2 said:
Anosa said:
I am a 19 year old but i am saving every cent for my NSX, even with this im still dismissed at car dealerships when looking at most cars, ie i go to a honda dealership to look at an s2k and am quickly shown to the new civic. ( which in my opinion is terrible... ( the gauges are awfull and the engine bays too small )QUOTE]

Hi,

Respect for saving already for the NSX - you won't regret it! Only think of interest is your criticism on the new Civic for not having enough engine bay space? I have to say that isn't the deal breaker for me when buying a car...:confused:

Are you worried you won't get your 3.2 V6 in there or something?

Cheers,

Matt.

thanks, and the only reason that i criticise its small engine bay is whenever i look at a car, i always think of the aftermarket, and with an engine bay that small it seems like it would awkward to work with, and im used to all of the older civics having very roomy engine bays, and beeing easy to work with. in myfriends 92 hatch iwas able to literally stand in his engine bay.

The salesman offered me a ridiculous low offer for my trade because he had to wholesale the car at auction. I asked if there was any chance he would try and retail it on the lot, he was absolutely sure he would wholesale it. So I said there is no way you will make a profit on the vehicle at auction then? He said no the only profit we will make on the sale is the profit from the car we are selling you. So I said fine lets do the deal you run my car through the auction and give me the proceeds over and above the agreed trade-in price. He was silent for a few seconds then agreed.
Then the dealership ran the car through the auction and got $4800 more than the trade-in price, which I knew they would because I had the sales figures from the previous auction. I then got the sales figures from the auction where my car went through and headed to the dealership. They said the vehicle did exactly what they gave me for trade. Then I dropped the auction sales sheet on their desk and they wrote the check to me. They were pissed to say the least.

Steve you're my hero. :biggrin: You never let anybody take advantage of you and you prove that knowledge really is power.

steveny said:
The salesman offered me a ridiculous low offer for my trade because he had to wholesale the car at auction. I asked if there was any chance he would try and retail it on the lot, he was absolutely sure he would wholesale it. So I said there is no way you will make a profit on the vehicle at auction then? He said no the only profit we will make on the sale is the profit from the car we are selling you. So I said fine lets do the deal you run my car through the auction and give me the proceeds over and above the agreed trade-in price. He was silent for a few seconds then agreed.
Then the dealership ran the car through the auction and got $4800 more than the trade-in price, which I knew they would because I had the sales figures from the previous auction. I then got the sales figures from the auction where my car went through and headed to the dealership. They said the vehicle did exactly what they gave me for trade. Then I dropped the auction sales sheet on their desk and they wrote the check to me. They were pissed to say the least.

White92 said:
Steve you're my hero. :biggrin: You never let anybody take advantage of you and you prove that knowledge really is power.

...and with each situation I learn a little more. Next time I will be sure to have them agree to the tax savings I would have recieved had they given me the correct trade-in price the first time.

Craig, I was working on that stuff you emailed me and my lap-top died. All the info is on the lap-top and the POS no longer works. If you want to resend it, let me know and I can have a go at it again.
Steve

steveny said:
Craig, I was working on that stuff you emailed me and my lap-top died. All the info is on the lap-top and the POS no longer works.
Steve

Sounds like some salesman sold you a lemon laptop... how could you let that happen? :biggrin: :tongue: Just kiddin'

wtgonnsx said:
Told a used cars salesman that I was a sales manager in my line of work (many moons ago) and just give me the simple rough prices as I am familiar with the routine. He started his run of sales talk. I then started naming the sales techniques and the tapes it was off of. He walked away and left me on the lot...go figure?

Okay, spill the beans: which tricks was he using and which tapes were they on? :wink:

steveny said:

why didn't you run the car thru the auction yourself?

Ko-nsx said:
why didn't you run the car thru the auction yourself?

I am not a car dealer but I have a good friend that owns a dealership. He couldn't get me the car I wanted so I was forced to trade my car in else where. My friend was at the auction the day they ran my car through.

My friend couldn't find me an NSX when I was looking for one of those as well. Plus I really wanted to buy an NSX that I had the time to examine with a fine tooth comb, not possible at an auction. I really did not want to pay retail for an NSX either. So he and I went to the auction and I just looked for the best deal I could find on any car. I ended up buying a STS Caddy and then I traded that in on an NSX. I netted a little on the trade and thus getting the NSX for less was the final outcome because of the money I made on the trade.

Well, I worked in Motorcycle sales for a short time before getting tired of being screwed out of commissions. One lie I heard from another salesman:

That GSXR will be comfortable for long trips just like any other bike.

I will say the reality of test driving a car is nothing compared to trying to test drive a bike. It's virtually unheard of beyond a BMW dealership. Kudos to BMW for implementing a viable test ride plan, but try to test drive a $10K sportbike and see how far you get without a deal written up and clear credit check. I would have sent you right out the door. And we're talking about $90K NSXs in this thread, so I'm not surprised noone was allowed to test drive. I've purchased MANY racebikes in my life, frequently 2 at a time, and I do get test drives at my local dealer, so it is possible, but usually very very rare as most bikes aren't even prepped until sold.

Salesman to me, best story of all:

Lotus dealer in South Florida, with no less than 32 Elises sitting on the tarmac that I counted - "this car is limited production and very hard to find, we should be adding an ADM to it!".

This after the 2005 Elise had already been replaced by the 2006! "Hard to find" with 32 on the lot made me laugh hysterically! They called me a week later and offered the car to me at cost.

Carguy! said:
Believe me you can put most vehicles in 4wd and you won't get wheel hop, if you don't believe me go to any Ford, GM or Chrysler dealership and try it on one of their trucks.

Carguy you are indeed correct.

The only time you will get wheel hop is if you modify the 4WD to have LOCKING differentials... And locking the hubs does not lock the differential.

Not stupid but d!ckheaded comment by salesguy. I was checking out a 2 year old used G35 coupes at the infinity dealer.

me: Can we take that one out for a test drive?

salesguy: How close are you to buying?

Note, it was my 2nd trip there. First to LOOK at new ones. 2nd time to check out the used ones. It wasn't like I walked in there looking like a complete dirtbag, either.

Happend today. I was at the a local Audi dealer and looked at the new Q7. Salesman saw me, unlocked the car and gave me the key so I could check out the interior and play around with NAV etc. I asked him if the car fits in a standard garage (5x2,5) he replied their target group doesn't own 'standard garages".

I think that smilie: :eek: pretty much describes my face after I heard that.

The Kid said:
To all of you that get mad at dealers that dont let them test drive EVO's, 911 Turbo's, Z06's, Enzo's and whatever else.....Please, please, please, please come to work at my dealership for one day and rethink your way of thinking.

Everyone comes in and just wants to drive, I keep a file of all the things that have gone wrong on test drives due to aggressive and over anxious drivers. We specialize in Sports Compact Cars and im sure you could imagine some of these scenarios. Can you walk into an Acura Dealership and ask to test drive a new NSX? Lets say the car has 30 miles and it and 2 people test drive it, now it might have 65. The next potential customer doesnt want a car with miles and thinks that since this is such a collectable car, it shouldn't be driven. Or Im dont want anyone else to drive it except for me.

We have customers buying TSX's and RSX's and they wont even let us PDI the car and gas it up, or clean it, or they buy a swapped in car with 75 miles on it and refuse delivery.

Amen.

Having been in the car biz previously, you wouldn't believe what some customers say when they come in.

Those guys that would walk in thinking they knew it all, and I was just some schmoe sales guy... I always found it hilarious when they tried to play stump the chump with me and found themselves wanting. It didn't take much. They didn't call me "the Wiz Kid" for nothing...

No you cannot test drive the S2000 with your buddy...
No you cannot test drive the S2000 for the weekend...
No you cannot test drive the S2000 in the rain...
No you cannot test drive the S2000 in the snow...
No you cannot test drive the S2000 without a deposit (this was in 2000, and we only had 5 coming to the dealership that year)

Funniest thing I ever said to a customer whom I had reached a negotiations impasse with?

Me: Sir, you look as if you are looking for a good buy...
Guy: If I can't find it here I will go somewhere else
Me: Ok, Goodbye! :smile: (opening the door, while dangling the keys to his POS oldsmobile trade-in that he wanted to sell me for a million bucks while buying my car for peanuts) :eek:

Funniest thing I ever did on a test drive? (the following occured on a testdrive in a V6 5-speed VW Passat)
Me: Pull over here I want to show you something.
guy: Ok (pulls over)
Me: (after pulling the key out of the ignition) Do you realize you just drove through a residential neighborhood at over 80 mph? Are you insane? Get out! I will drive us back to the dealership.
Guy: I want to talk to your manager
Me: Please do so, and you best be glad I don't stop at every house on the way back so you can apologize to the parents of the children who play on your personal race track!

The Guys wife spent the trip back to the dealership calling her spouse and idiot, and when we got back they got in their car and left.

Admittedly, there are an abundance of dumbass salesman out there, mostly because a lot of dealers turn over personel so quickly that the sales people rarely get the opportunity to develop into professionals, but every once in a while you come accross a good guy that knows his product, and deserves his paycheck.

What do you do when you meet that guy? Most times you try to keep him poor by beating him out of his commision, then go off and brag to your buddies, and on the internet about how you took advantage of him.

That seems like an incentive to stay in the business doesn't it?

Why do we never have a thread about the proper way to negotiate for a car?

Enjoy your stories, hopefully someone is out there that makes you folks feel like dumbasses for trying to do your job.

I know that when I see these threads full of gull for auto salesman I feel like a fool for ever trying to be fair with a client on the sales floor.

It is no wonder that long time sales people eventually turn so bitter they look at you like a mark, treat you like a mark, and take you like a mark.

you just might deserve it.

Philip

Last edited:
Back