• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a 97-01 fixed roof coupe

Hey guys,

Was hoping to get some advice. I'm looking for a 97-01 fixed roof coupe NSX. Preferably unmodified.

I'm hoping to spend no more then 40K on it, but will go up to 50 if necessary. Is that a reasonable price for a clean 3.2L coupe, or do they typically go for more?

That said they are a pain to find - I've been scouring craigslist and autotrader with no luck so far.

If you go to the thread on Red/tan combinations - there is a chart that CL65 Captain furnished that will show you how rare they are and not produced after 02 i believe. There are very few of them - so you could be waitinga a while and you will most likely spend close to 50k for one. There was a Silver one that had been for sale for some time - I suppose it finally sold. He wanted a premium for it and I'm not sure but it may have had some accident damage that had of course been fixed. I would love to have one too. You'll probably find a few that would get excited if one came up. Be sure of one thing if one comes up you'll hear about it on Prime - my bet anyway.

Good luck - rarer than hen's teeth

If you want to find one for $40K, you're winking in the dark.

Hey guys,

Was hoping to get some advice. I'm looking for a 97-01 fixed roof coupe NSX. Preferably unmodified.

I'm hoping to spend no more then 40K on it, but will go up to 50 if necessary. Is that a reasonable price for a clean 3.2L coupe, or do they typically go for more?

That said they are a pain to find - I've been scouring craigslist and autotrader with no luck so far.

Mate, there is like 21 cars produced (excluding Zanardi NSX's) and to find one up for sale is like winning the lottery. tbromley is right, there was a silver one recently for sale. Expect to pay top dollar for one...$40k is not top dollar...

Wow, only 20 something examples? I had no idea they were so rare. I was assuming they were being manufactured at a reduced rate but had no idea it was that low. So they made less coupes then automatics? :eek:

Doesn't seem likely I'll be able to get one then.

Try to get a Zanardi... for whatever weird reason, they dont seem to carry the same premium. There was just one that went and, while it did have some history, that history was fully known and wasnt horrible (Id argue no worse than a LOT of cars but the buyer never knows) and I dont think it went for much more than 40.

Nice tip on the Zanardi - looks like I just missed that auction. I'll keep my eye on ebay too. The only thing I don't like about the Zanardi is the lack of electric power steering, but I guess with production numbers of NA2 coupes so low I shouldn't be picky.

I don't mind a car having a bit of history. I'm the type of guy who drives the car and will track it. I'm not betting on appreciation value for these cars, I just want to enjoy it for what it was made for.

Try to get a Zanardi... for whatever weird reason, they dont seem to carry the same premium. There was just one that went and, while it did have some history, that history was fully known and wasnt horrible (Id argue no worse than a LOT of cars but the buyer never knows) and I dont think it went for much more than 40.

I beg to differ. Try to find a pristine, no history, well cared for, up to date maintaince Zanardi, and you will see what demand/premium these Zanardi carries. I am speaking from my very personal two years search for my Zanardi.

Warm regards,

I don't mind a car having a bit of history. I'm the type of guy who drives the car and will track it. I'm not betting on appreciation value for these cars, I just want to enjoy it for what it was made for.
This tells me that you are actually a perfect candidate for an early coupe :wink:
The electric PS is good, but I like the non-assisted feel better!

Brian

I'd beg to differ, when they are stock, low mileage and have NO stories....they bring all the moolah if not more.

I'd beg to differ, when they are stock, low mileage and have NO stories....they bring all the moolah if not more.

Have to agree here with the Kid and Dat. I've seen em go for less but there is a story - like Mlambert said of the one that just sold. No stories and the Zanardi sells high. I'd love to get one if only they made em with the tan interior. Too much moolah to change that out.

Coupe 3.2s are really a premium and I believe I've only seen one advertised since I was looking since last April. But I don't look all the time. They are so rare as to almost be non existent. I'd love one too! That would surely be my preference.

I believe if a nice one came up - there would be a bunch of folks bidding on it - it would be "bid wars"! So get ready! Hitch up yer britches and get out the check book and WAIT! Good luck though. I have seen a 95 coupe though. So you can find later models.

Get a coupe for 20K then have SOS upgrade it to the 3.3L engine.

Then Bing bang boom you have what your looking for.

Get a coupe for 20K then have SOS upgrade it to the 3.3L engine.

Then Bing bang boom you have what your looking for.

Except for power steering and the six speed - that's worth a lot in my book. I would surely love the 6 speed in mine, but not enough to shell out the big bucks for it. :wink:

That's the one! Man I sure wish he'd trade me for mine....:biggrin:

I am surprised it's still for sale.

Type of roof has no connection to type of trans. I would look hard at that silver one. I have never driven an NSX with EPS, but given the cost if it craps out I would look for one w/o EPS. I greatly prefer manual rack & pinion steering. The feel is just excellent.

Wow, only 20 something examples? I had no idea they were so rare. I was assuming they were being manufactured at a reduced rate but had no idea it was that low. So they made less coupes then automatics? :eek:

Doesn't seem likely I'll be able to get one then.

That's the only one anywhere, get it.

I don't think I'm speaking out of line when I say that the "white one" has been offered for sale recently and it appears the the right price has yet to be negotiated.

I don't think I'm speaking out of line when I say that the "white one" has been offered for sale recently and it appears the the right price has yet to be negotiated.

I am still trying Ken.... can you help me out?!! :biggrin:

Lot's of us would like that "white one". I had heard that it was going up for sale about a month ago. Now that is THE ONE! If ever there was a collector's piece that is it! Those may actually be more valuable than the Zanardi. I just wish I had the funds for that one......alas. Dreamin my life away....

Back