• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

Somebody please chop it in different colors.

What about with an integrated spoiler :D I know I suck at paint but hey it gets the point across.

395067_10100664310054171_5000185_55134566_2009716473_n.jpg

Well I hope it's me, but I'll bet money it's you. :biggrin:

1. I don't care who you talked to, I seem to remember the CEO of Honda showing off the last one and then axing that as well.

2. Sorry, but I just don't believe this will happen. If your talking economics, then why don't they just build it at their plant in Thailand where there are no unions and skilled labour is a LOT cheaper. Yes America WAS the largest market for the NSX previously taking 50% of total NSX production, I do not believe that will be the case in 3 - 10 years time based on sales figures trends from the European exotics manufacturers.

As TURBO2GO said... "In a couple of years we will revisit this post. One one us will look like a fool. :biggrin:"... I'm happy to be that fool! I just don't think I will be...

1. No you don't remember that as it never happened. It's well known Ito hated the V10 ASCC. It was the first thing he pulled the plug on when he came to power in 08. The V10 ASCC was Fuqui ( Former Ceo ) answer to the fact that everyone though the V6 HSC wasn't powerful enough.

2. You have PM

So if this car is 300 to 500 lbs lighter than GTR, with 450 to 500hp on tab, and a much lower center of gravity... I have to think it will beat GTR in every aspect in terms of performance.

PLUS, if they do deliver so called v8 performance with 4 cylinder fuel economy, I think they'll again set a new benchmark.

The GTR is 3800lbs -- what a fricking pig! I have no idea how that car manages to defy physics given its weight and high center of gravity.

I think it's possible for Honda to get this car down to 3300lbs minus the batteries. The big question is sizing the batteries in order to provide consistent power on demand, and balancing that against the weight penalty. Can they go as low as 220lbs (as on the F599h) and not be constantly running out of juice?

I'm sure they can make this weigh less than the GTR even with the batteries, but it'll probably also have less torque+HP. If this thing can be competitive with the GTR, even at a $150k price point, I think Honda will have a winner on its hands. Having said that, I really don't think the GTR is what Honda is aiming for. I just wish they would forget about all this "green" nonsense and focus on maximizing the use of the electric motors for performance and handling, and not waste time trying to get better gas mileage.

The Z06 have a beastly power to weight ratio. Your talking about a under rated 505hp engine in a 3200 lb chassis. I doubt Honda will ever be able to match that.

Since this car is being built in America mostly for Americans, I have a couple of questions.

1. Maybe this will have multiple engine or drivetrain options? Could it be possible that a top of the line car will be sold with all the techno gadgetry, and another, cheaper version with just the V6 and rwd?

2. I'm sure they will be selling a version in Japan. I would assume it to be a Honda rather than Acura. Should I also assume that the nose would be different (and hopefully bolt on compatible)?

Why am I even asking, 3 years is a long time...

Detroit Award

The redesigned 2013 Ford Fusion sedan, the new 2013 Dodge Dart, the sleek Acura NSX concept and the open-air 2013 Porsche 911 cabriolet have been singled out by the editors of Autoweek as award-winning vehicles at the 2012 Detroit auto show.

The new Fusion earned the Autoweek Editors' Choice Award for Best in Show. The aerodynamic design, backed up by a menu of EcoBoost four-cylinder engines, reaches dealer showrooms later this year.

"The Ford Fusion bucks the midsize-sedan trend of playing to the broadest common denominator," editor Wes Raynal said. "Where many of the big players are aiming for an inoffensively bland look, the Fusion delivers bold styling that projects a more luxurious message than we expect for its broad, family-car mission. The Fusion is built for the 99 percent, chock-full of 1 percent panache and punch."

Others considered for the Best in Show award were the Dart and the NSX.

dodge-dart.jpg&maxW=460

Most Significant

CEO Sergio Marchionne has pushed the Chrysler Group to move fast in overhauling its product lineup. And with an assist from corporate cousin Alfa Romeo, Dodge is climbing back into the compact-sedan game with the Dart.

Dodge started with a widened version of the platform used for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta and layered in an overhauled lineup of 4-cylinder engines and 6-speed transmissions. Aggressive styling completes the package.

Executive editor Bob Gritzinger said, "Dodge is reentering the crucial small-sedan market with a Fiat-based car that we think drills the target dead center. The bold Dodge styling, the sport-tuned Alfa Romeo Giulietta chassis and the attention to interior detail will draw buyers into the showroom, while the strong fuel economy and $15,995 starting price should close the deal. The Dart gives Dodge a highly competitive entry in a market segment where it hasn't been a player since the middle of the last decade."

Others considered were the Fusion, the BMW 3-series and the Cadillac ATS.

acura-nsx.jpg&maxW=460

Best Concept

In Acura's 25-year history, no other car has earned the luxury brand recognition the way the NSX sports car has, which was sold from 1990 through 2006. And Honda's luxury division used the Detroit show to signal its plans to revive the NSX. The concept revealed in Detroit has the heritage basics--two seats and a V6 mounted midship--but backs it up with a hybrid powertrain. Honda plans to build the car at a facility in Ohio.

"In a show filled with standout concepts, the NSX rose above all for its styling, performance potential and spiritual connection to the original, which remains a favorite of enthusiasts," news editor Greg Migliore said. "The new all-wheel-drive system intrigued our editors, and we look forward to the production execution in the next few years. The NSX received strong consideration for our Best in Show award, and it clearly topped all of the other concepts in Detroit."

Others on the short list in this category were the Lexus LF-LC, the Lincoln MKZ and the Toyota NS4.

911-cabrio.jpg&maxW=460

Most Fun

Porsche brought the open-top version of its redesigned 911 to Detroit and left with accolades for the good times on the road it promises.

Senior road test editor Natalie Neff said it was an easy choice. "Though whimsy sometimes wins out when it comes to our Most Fun choice, top-shelf performance in a premium package also turns our heads. We love the all-new Porsche 911, so it should come as no surprise that we would endorse a drop-top variant for our Most Fun car of the show--in this case, by acclamation."

Others considered were the Mini Cooper roadster, the Hyundai Veloster Turbo and the Mercedes-Benz SL.

The full report on the Autoweek Editors' Choice Awards will appear in the Feb. 6 issue of the magazine.

I won't quote the shopped picture from last page because I wouldn't want to spam the picture around, but I have to admit something about it. As much as I dislike the front, this 45° angle shot from the rear along with the more "realistic" rims do make the car look much, much better. :)

It gives me hope

I think I'm blind b/c I don't see the integrated spoiler. Did you upload the wrong paint shop?:confused:
The parts between the taillights are unfinished.

Lol it's cool. Just use your imagination man. I used MS paint which is crappy way to mess with pictures. Just imagine that the LED strip is attached to a tail. The rear window extends further down. The uniform color between the lights would be like a flat/smooth lid that goes under the spoiler just like our current NSX.

That's the best I could do maybe if someone with more PS skills could do it better you would see it more easily.

Mitch, you're on candid camera! Great meeting you out there. Experience of a lifetime!

mitch_interview.jpg

YIKES!! That is horrible!! I would say you got my bad side, but EVERY side is my bad side. LOL!! :D

Great meeting you too. How did those chili dogs treat you on the way home? :cool:

Is that you? why are you being interviewed like you know anything about anything? :confused:

:biggrin:

Okay, some additional updates for everyone.

A small group of us (about 8 people) had the opportunity to sit down with the Vice President of Operations for American Honda, and also one of the Senior PR gentlemen, for a closed door round table where they asked us for 100% honest feedback about the cars, the perception of the company as a whole, and anything else relating to Honda and Acura products. They were very clear that they wanted us to be honest. No sugar coating. They needed feedback from real people.

I took your words to the table and conveyed to them that a concern of current and past NSX owners right now is that with 3 years until production time, many people are concerned that the car they see at the show will be nothing like production. I also asked them how likely it was for the car to change dimensions due to it being a non-running design study more than it was a real car, and was told with great certainty that they could absolutely make the car a fully operational vehicle without changing the dimensions of the car at all. We were also informed that they do not want to make any significant changes to the car's appearance, and that the only thing they could not control would be any government safety standards that would be mandated between now and then that may or may not impact the vehicle's design. To paraphrase their statement, they could absolutely make the car we saw on stage, and make it perform at the highest levels of exotic car performance.

Additionally, I conveyed to them the concern about the performance of the car. That current NSX owners, and past ones looking at this as a possible return to NSX ownership, are looking for a certain type of vehicle feel and performance level. Also, I inquired about their benchmark setting for this car since it is a full 3 years out. My point with them was that if they are using cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi R8, and Nissan GT-R, as comparable models, all of those will be due for a replacement at the time of the new NSXs introduction, and that the last thing NSX owners want is a repeat of last time. Where the NSX was current for about 2 - 3 years, and then was outdated when Ferrari came out with the F355, and Porsche unveiled a new 911, and so on.

As a final note, I mentioned that many NSX owners are a bit hesitant to get excited since we were all burned when we thought the HSC was coming out, and never did. Also, without pricing being in the cards yet, they needed to remember their target market and not price themselves out of the game with what could be an extraordinary car.

It is my honest opinion that Honda / Acura wants to do this right. The feedback I got from the VP of Operations, all of the senior PR people, the head designers, and also Jeff Conrad (VP of Sales for Honda North America), was that Honda was aware that they slipped up previously and that a veritable reinvention of the brand was in order. They seem to be taking the steps needed to really get back to their roots and make fun to drive luxury vehicles, and that the new NSX is their halo car again to show that they can build amazing performance cars when they want to. The slogan 'Acura DNA' was heard a lot. Expect to hear it more as they work on getting back to their roots.

I know some of you are still going to be all 'bah-humbug'. But having actually been there. Having seen the genuine pride on the faces of the entire American Honda team. Having heard first hand the excitement with which they spoke of the NSX and the new direction of the company. I simply say give them the benefit of the doubt. I really think we will be seeing great things in the near future, and they want to make the NSX the biggest example of this new corporate vision and direction.

Last edited:
Okay, some additional updates for everyone.

A small group of us (about 8 people) had the opportunity to sit down with the Vice President of Operations for American Honda, and also one of the Senior PR gentlemen, for a closed door round table where they asked us for 100% honest feedback about the cars, the perception of the company as a whole, and anything else relating to Honda and Acura products. They were very clear that they wanted us to be honest. No sugar coating. They needed feedback from real people.

I took your words to the table and conveyed to them that a concern of current and past NSX owners right now is that with 3 years until production time, many people are concerned that the car they see at the show will be nothing like production. I also asked them how likely it was for the car to change dimensions due to it being a non-running design study more than it was a real car, and was told with great certainty that they could absolutely make the car a fully operational vehicle without changing the dimensions of the car at all. We were also informed that they do not want to make any significant changes to the car's appearance, and that the only thing they could not control would be any government safety standards that would be mandated between now and then that may or may not impact the vehicle's design. To paraphrase their statement, they could absolutely make the car we saw on stage, and make it perform at the highest levels of exotic car performance.

Additionally, I conveyed to them the concern about the performance of the car. That current NSX owners, and past ones looking at this as a possible return to NSX ownership, are looking for a certain type of vehicle feel and performance level. Also, I inquired about their benchmark setting for this car since it is a full 3 years out. My point with them was that if they are using cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi R8, and Nissan GT-R, as comparable models, all of those will be due for a replacement at the time of the new NSXs introduction, and that the last thing NSX owners want is a repeat of last time. Where the NSX was current for about 2 - 3 years, and then was outdated when Ferrari came out with the F355, and Porsche unveiled a new 911, and so on.

As a final note, I mentioned that many NSX owners are a bit hesitant to get excited since we were all burned when we thought the HSC was coming out, and never did. Also, without pricing being in the cards yet, they needed to remember their target market and not price themselves out of the game with what could be an extraordinary car.

It is my honest opinion that Honda / Acura wants to do this right. The feedback I got from the VP of Operations, all of the senior PR people, the head designers, and also Jeff Conrad (VP of Sales for Honda North America), was that Honda was aware that they slipped up previously and that a veritable reinvention of the brand was in order. They seem to be taking the steps needed to really get back to their roots and make fun to drive luxury vehicles, and that the new NSX is their halo car again to show that they can build amazing performance cars when they want to. The slogan 'Acura DNA' was heard a lot. Expect to hear it more as they work on getting back to their roots.

I know some of you are still going to be all 'bah-humbug'. But having actually been there. Having seen the genuine pride on the faces of the entire American Honda team. Having heard first hand the excitement with which they spoke of the NSX and the new direction of the company. I simply say give them the benefit of the doubt. I really think we will be seeing great things in the near future, and they want to make the NSX the biggest example of this new corporate vision and direction.

Very cool.
Very exciting.
Gave me chills reading... thinking that Acura might actually build a car that could produce as much excitement as it's predecessor when it was first introduced.

Okay, some additional updates for....

......think we will be seeing great things in the near future, and they want to make the NSX the biggest example of this new corporate vision and direction.

Hey Mitch,

Did anyone in this meeting mention the discontent that many enthusiasts feel about the "beak/shield" and if they are going to address that? Seems like a really stupid thing not to remove from their designs since it is the main complaint I hear about anything Acura.

Last edited:
Guess I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with the sheild.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the sheild either but if a large chunk of your target audience is hating on the car/brand because of this small design element I would believe you should go with the moto "The customer is always right" and fix it.

That's really awesome Mitch! It's really great that they spent time talking to real customers to get their feedback on the new design and understand their concerns. Were you the only NSX owner in the group or were there others? It sounds like they're all genuinely excited about making this a great car!

That beak looks it's best on a silver car because it kind of blends in. On a color like Monaco Blue the contrast is large. I love my NSX and would fight to be first in line for the new one, but that ugly-ass beak has to go. Look at some of the front-end designs of past NSX or S2000 concepts, without the beak, for some inspiration.

I think my opinion is in the vast majority and Honda/Acura best listen.

Mitch, thank you for all the information. It is great to have a Primer in the inner-circle.

mitch,did you get any more impressions about their plans for the brand other than for the nsx?i have thought about a tsx for a dd,the new one has a less ugly beak,but could wait a few years if i thought thet were going to be coming out with some really exciting cars.

thanks for all the great info.

Thanks Mitch for your efforts to be there and to convey all of our passion for the current and next nsx.It would not surprise me at all if those few minutes talking to them does help to shape the next new cars.More so then the usual customer surveys.This should be the only thread on the matter:wink: btw did you tell them you were disasembling your car just to clean it better:cool:

Last edited:
After digesting the new car for a few days now, I have to say the passage of time is making me like it more, not less. I haven't felt this way about a car since...the Integra Type R, and that was the best automotive purchase ever in my life. I feel like if the final resulting car is about as good as I am hoping, I will figure out how to own one someday (whether that means new or used).

I'm not looking for a 458 or GT-R killer. I am hoping for something like a refined, larger Exige. Fast, relatively light, very trackable, but also refined and streetable. Kinda like the NSX! Numbers like 500 hp and 3 sec 0-60 (totally unrealistic, whoever thinks that) are not as important as driving feel. The dose of hybrid tech and good efficiency are pluses.

I also think the expectation of 3000 lbs is not going to happen. We are talking about a car with 3 electric motors, a battery pack, full safety equipment for 2015 and beyond, a full interior, a gas engine, dual clutch trans, and a fuel tank. If it is under 3300 lbs I will be impressed. 3500 lbs seems more likely to me.

I also hope they keep the variants to a minimum. And for gosh's sake, don't flood the U.S. market with 98% stupid/softly suspended/heavy targa versions and keep the hard core versions for foreign markets. That would piss me off A LOT.

Last edited:
Back