• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

Another opinion---my wife says she likes the original NSX lines far more then the new design. My son says---the original has the curves of a beautiful women and this has the angles of a Stealth Fighter--not a sports car.
Me---I think Honda is trolling for feedback cause they really haven't got a clue---thus the customer inqueries. No power train means they pushed this out the door unprepared---their design team is pitiful in so many ways---hell even the Jags look better. I suspect they will build the car and except for the NSX lovers--it will flop.
In 91 the competition was not very stiff and their design, test, and build was leading edge in almost every way. Today, the competition is way stiffer. The elec motor on the front wheels is nothing exotic ---Ferd Porsche did that on all 4 wheels prior to WW2!! I kind of like the look of the car but If I wanted to buy the perfect NSX---it would be a extrememly low miles 04-05.
Styling is in the eyes of the beholder but behold---15 years ago I went to a sports car ralley--there were Porsches, Jags, Ferrari's, Aston Martin, Morgan, and one dumb ass with a cherry red 57 Thunderbird---care to guess where the girls flocked---Yep that dumb ass's t-bird. Styling rulled.
Now for performance--I would never buy a car that had electric motors controling the rotation of the front wheels. One stray mouse chewing on the wrong wire could kill you. Just my .02----.

Hey Mitch,

Did anyone in this meeting mention the discontent that many enthusiasts feel about the "beak/shield" and if they are going to address that? Seems like a really stupid thing not to remove from their designs since it is the main complaint I hear about anything Acura.

I remember someone asking about that part of the styling, yes. But I will also say that it really does look better in person.

That's really awesome Mitch! It's really great that they spent time talking to real customers to get their feedback on the new design and understand their concerns. Were you the only NSX owner in the group or were there others? It sounds like they're all genuinely excited about making this a great car!

There was one other one. But I was the one with the longest tenure. 17 years behind the wheel of an NSX as a daily driver. :)

What's ACURA DNA? So has Honda or acura kinda lost its way?
KO

The 'Acura DNA' is their way of referencing that they are going back to the basics that made them stand out originally. Building cars with a fun to drive performance edge....just like they did when they first came out back in 1987. Personally, my favorite time for Acura was the early years for their fun to drive cars. If I could have a garage with a perfect 1990 Legend LS Coupe, 1991 NSX, and 1992 Integra GS-R, I would be in heaven. Now THOSE cars were fun!

Last edited:
Guess I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with the sheild.

You are not the only one, I really disliked the ridculous grill/shield on the 4th generation TL and the 2010 MDX but the one on the NSX2.0 design study is subtle and seems to blend better with the front end of the car. As long as the headlights remain as narrow and with a similar shape as the concept the front end looks ok.

...Mitch, thank you for all the information. It is great to have a Primer in the inner-circle.

Happy to do it! I felt it was important for them to understand the difference between building a car that their marketing people wanted, and one that actual enthusiasts would buy, and that NSX owners would consider buying. I made clear that they need more involvement in the development by speaking to real life customers, and people that would be writing the checks to buy the car. Developing a car in a bubble without real customer input would be a poor idea.

My statement to them was simple. I said, 'What you need to remember is that for this car to be successful, you should make greater use of current NSX owners, and sports car enthusiasts, since we are the ones that are actually going to be writing the checks to buy these cars. Basing a car like the new NSX off of your Marketing Department, almost none of whom will likely buy the car, makes no sense at all'. This seemed to spark genuine thought and outside the box thinking on their part, which was nice to see.

Last edited:
You are not the only one, I really disliked the ridculous grill/shield on the 4th generation TL and the 2010 MDX but the one on the NSX2.0 design study is subtle and seems to blend better with the front end of the car. As long as the headlights remain as narrow and with a similar shape as the concept the front end looks ok.

but do you want your halo car's front to look just "ok?" or for people to "have no problem with" it?

the overall shape and line of the concept is nice... but i still think the beak looks bad and so does a lot of other people.

Thanks Mitch for your efforts to be there and to convey all of our passion for the current and next nsx.It would not surprise me at all if those few minutes talking to them does help to shape the next new cars.More so then the usual customer surveys.This should be the only thread on the matter:wink: btw did you tell them you were disasembling your car just to clean it better:cool:

You are welcome. I agree that the personal interaction helped. I think that since they could see our genuine enthusiasm for the new car, and on the flip side, our dislike for the cars of their recent past, it really hit home with them. It is one thing to read reactions on a piece of paper. But to be sitting across the table from your most ardent enthiasts and customer base, is something completely different. I applaud them for taking the time, and hope that they genuinely take that information and use it in a positive manner.

Side note....yes, actually at dinner they saw pictures of my car in disassembly and were shocked at why I was taking it apart. My pictures ended up making it to executive management because they were so amazed by my dedication and enthusiasm for the car. Possibly a little shocked too. :D

Last edited:
I remember someone asking about that part of the styling, yes. But I will also say that it really does look better in person.
I really don't get it. The only place you read negative comments about the 'beak' is on this forum .. not in almost any of the online articles or reviews that I've read or seen. Besides the NSX, I own an '05 TL and I really didn't care for the grille on '09 TL. But, go back and look closely at the grille on the concept. The five edges that make up the signature Acura grille are not the 2" thick 'frame' .. but rather almost invisibly thin chrome strips. The only thing that is prominent is the thick bar that lines up with the lights and that could probably be slimmed or blacked out....a very minor styling change. And if by 'beak' you mean a pointy nose like the old Pontiacs, then I think you're mistaken. Go back and have a close look at a side shot and the grille barely sticks out at all. Then go and look at the new Lotus and have a look at the beak on that. I don't think people are being anywhere close to being rational about this. If you want to see what an ugly 'beaky' grille looks like, take a look at the new LF-LC concept .. it protrudes and the outline of the grille can't make up it's mind if which way it's going.
.rant off

Mitch,

I want to express my thanks for your time in going to the show and relaying the information back to the rest of the NSX family. Additionally, I believe you represented the essence of our community to the executives.

From your commentary on the meeting, it sounds like this car will really happen barring some silly/stupid governmental intervention or regulation.

I'm curious, will this model be making the rounds at the other auto shows? I ask because if they draw in similar focus groups it may behoove us to attend the shows and interact with some of these people when they visit our cities.

You are welcome. I agree that the personal interaction helped. I think that since they could see our genuine enthusiasm for the new car, and on the flip side, our dislike for the cars of their recent past, it really hit home with them. It is one thing to read reactions on a piece of paper. But to be sitting across the table from your most ardent enthiasts and customer base, is something completely different. I applaud them for taking the time, and hope that they genuinely take that information and use it in a positive manner.

Side note....yes, actually at dinner they saw pictures of my car in disassembly and were shocked at why I was taking it apart. My pictures ended up making it to executive management because they were so amazed by my dedication and enthusiasm for the car. Possibly a little shocked too. :D
Mitch .. I'm going to re-ask an earlier question that I think got missed. One of the major breakthroughs for our cars was their leadership in finding cost effective ways to make the production of aluminum bodies a reality. McLaren has recently implied that they are making similar breakthroughs with carbon fiber. Did they hint at whether the car is likely to be aluminum or CF or some mix of the two?

Personally, I like the new headlights and I don't recall anyone else taking this route so they're showing some style leadership. As someone else commented in one of these threads .. it reminds me of the treatment on the BMW M1 Homage concept. Unfortunately, gather from Autoline that all the designers got together and voted for their favorite designs of the show .. and the NSX concept didn't even make the short list of 3. The LF-LC won .. even the Lincoln MKZ made the short list which next to the Lexus has the ugliest front end at the show this year. What are these designers smoking?

Last edited:
^ Good point on the carbon & AL materials. By going with carbon fiber ( ala the MP4), painstakingly employing great weight reduction methods, then, after all that adding hundreds of pounds in electrics seems pointless....for a sportscar project. Why not do such a thing for the RL?

Oh boy, I too have resist to react but can't hold on forever, here is my H.O. :

It's an ooOOOOHhh NOOOOO!!!! for me. :(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::frown::frown::frown::mad::mad::mad:

Disappointing!!!!... SAD SAD SAD & SOooo SAD, this is Ito's idea of a supercar..LOLLOLOLOLOL... Ito needs to talk to Jerod Shelby @ Shelby Super Car (http://www.shelbysupercars.com/tuatara.php) he has a better idea of a REAL supercar that will soon take the world speed record back from Bugatti.

I just don't understand, there is nothing wrong with the 1st gen NSX, it was very sexy & handsome, it just needed some major overhaul.
Ito should have kept close to the first gen original design & do some major overhaul & updates like wider panels for wider wheels, redo interior with CF/super strong light materials, more CF parts all over, & more powerful engine/drive train then it will be a hit.

Oh well so much for the hope of the new NSX (disappointing) successor....
I guess i will continue to put the redesign in my own hands & start fabricating the drawings that i have for the hatch & valence.

Oh boy, I too have resist to react but can't hold on forever, here is my H.O. :

It's an ooOOOOHhh NOOOOO!!!! for me. :(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::frown::frown::frown::mad::mad::mad:

Disappointing!!!!... SAD SAD SAD & SOooo SAD, this is Ito's idea of a supercar..LOLLOLOLOLOL... Ito needs to talk to Jerod Shelby @ Shelby Super Car (http://www.shelbysupercars.com/tuatara.php) he has a better idea of a REAL supercar that will soon take the world speed record back from Bugatti.

I just don't understand, there is nothing wrong with the 1st gen NSX, it was very sexy & handsome, it just needed some major overhaul.
Ito should have kept close to the first gen original design & do some major overhaul & updates like wider panels for wider wheels, redo interior with CF/super strong light materials, more CF parts all over, & more powerful engine/drive train then it will be a hit.

Oh well so much for the hope of the new NSX (disappointing) successor....
I guess i will continue to put the redesign in my own hands & start fabricating the drawings that i have for the hatch & valence.

Wow really? How can you compare both cars? The tuatara might have amazing performance but it is downright ugly imho, and how much does it cost? 1mill? :rolleyes:

After digesting the new car for a few days now, I have to say the passage of time is making me like it more, not less. I haven't felt this way about a car since...the Integra Type R, and that was the best automotive purchase ever in my life. I feel like if the final resulting car is about as good as I am hoping, I will figure out how to own one someday (whether that means new or used).

I'm not looking for a 458 or GT-R killer. I am hoping for something like a refined, larger Exige. Fast, relatively light, very trackable, but also refined and streetable. Kinda like the NSX! Numbers like 500 hp and 3 sec 0-60 (totally unrealistic, whoever thinks that) are not as important as driving feel. The dose of hybrid tech and good efficiency are pluses.

I also think the expectation of 3000 lbs is not realistic. We are talking about a car with 3 electric motors, a battery pack, full safety equipment for 2015 and beyond, a full interior, a gas engine, dual clutch trans, and a fuel tank. If it is under 3300 lbs I will be impressed. 3500 lbs seems more likely to me.

I also hope they keep the variants to a minimum. And for gosh's sake, don't flood the U.S. market with stupid/soft/heavy targa versions and keep the hard core versions for foreign markets. That would piss me off A LOT.

I Agree with all of this, but I think there will be a topless model. I thought they said that?

Mitch,

I want to express my thanks for your time in going to the show and relaying the information back to the rest of the NSX family. Additionally, I believe you represented the essence of our community to the executives.

From your commentary on the meeting, it sounds like this car will really happen barring some silly/stupid governmental intervention or regulation.

I'm curious, will this model be making the rounds at the other auto shows? I ask because if they draw in similar focus groups it may behoove us to attend the shows and interact with some of these people when they visit our cities.

You are welcome, and thank you for the compliment. :)

I think this car is going to the Chicago Auto Show next. At least I thought I heard some of the PR people talk about sending it there, so that would not surprise me to see it show up and continue to generate buzz.

I haven't posted on Prime in so long that I'd wonder if anyone even remembers me. :) One of the main reasons I stopped visiting was the never-ending blathering about the NSX successor that appeared unlikely to happen, or worse, to happen in a way that would make me vomit.

Anyway, I was one of the biggest protesters when the HSC was introduced. The HSC had some nice lines, yes, but too much of it was strange or Corvette-like, and I moaned pretty damned loudly to that effect. I doubt I could matter so much, but I was so distressed about the direction they were taking with the HSC that I even wondered afterward if the vehemence of my complaints and those who agreed with me had had any effect on the decision to scrap the project. I'm sure not, really, but that's how much and how hard I complained.

The ASCC was a freakish abomination and I started to want the HSC back. It was so incredibly bad that I refuse to think about it long enough to make any additional comments at this time.

As for this NSX 2.0 concept?

Niiice! I like it! It's purty, it's mid-engined, and in general seems to be motivated by automotive desires similar to mine.

I don't have the urge to whinge or moan or anything. Sure, there are a few minor details I'd personally tweak, but even so, I'd be pleased enough with it as-is. I'll nevertheless hope for some tweaks, but I feel good about the plan this time. I don't even mind that they're using the "NSX" name.

Personally, I think they listened to us. They've undone pretty much all of the past mistakes. They put the engine where it's supposed to be. Some of you say you don't see our NA1/NA2's lines in it, but I sure as hell do, and you know I appreciate that. I also see a memorial to the HSC along the side, and the best part is that what I see is the lines from the original HSC drawings that I felt had been lost in translation to the physical prototype.

As for the minor details I'd change, like the wheels, I'm not going to concern myself with that stuff. Worse comes to worst, I need to buy different wheels. The beak? Yeah, not appealing, it'll date this generation of Acuras, and I wish it weren't there in any of them, but as someone else said, this one is one of the most inoffensive versions of the beak that I've seen. I still hope they do something else with it, but hey, at least it'll give the bodykit guys something to modify right out of the gate. :) I might also prefer black pillars/arches to match the roof, but that's largely just about paint. At heart, this thing has the right idea.

If I'm honest about myself... I'm a very finicky, bitchy, difficult-to-please person. For me to have read this entire thread, watched the videos, perused a bunch of galleries, and still not feel bad or even particularly anxious about this car, is a very good sign to me. Granted, we have no clue about the interior, and no proper details about the drivetrain or pricing, but what I see is reassuring enough that I feel some optimism about what I can't see. I'm especially pleased to hear that they made a point of getting feedback after the reveal from people like Mitch.

Anyway, those are my two cents. I might be back with more in three years' time if they make the thing. I'm hoping that, with a better reception this time, they really will make this one.

Mitch .. I'm going to re-ask an earlier question that I think got missed. One of the major breakthroughs for our cars was their leadership in finding cost effective ways to make the production of aluminum bodies a reality. McLaren has recently implied that they are making similar breakthroughs with carbon fiber. Did they hint at whether the car is likely to be aluminum or CF or some mix of the two?

DOH!! Sorry. Missed that one. There was not any discussion of materials that I heard. Maybe someone else picked up on it. But most of the discussions centered around the car's appearance, its likelihood to make production in a given timetable, and the direction that Acura is looking to go in general, as well as making this car a genuine standout in the high performance sports car segment.

Oh....one more thing. I know that they are in talks with a major Indy Car driver to do some development work on the new NSX too. So that is encouraging.

Meeyatch
You should have called me...I would have put you up at my place if your still allowed in Canada.
My wife went to the show as she works for one of the tier 2 companies that is supplying parts for Honda. She told me that SHE is going to get one and I can't drive it.

Oh....one more thing. I know that they are in talks with a major Indy Car driver to do some development work on the new NSX too. So that is encouraging.

Are you trolling us?! LOL...

You keep waiting for the conversation to die down then casually walk in and throw another grenade into the room before you casually walk back out...

WTF!!! They said this?!!

Last edited:
How come no one has commented on the flying butresses yet? I think that is an awesome design detail!

Back