• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modifications You Regret Making

Jaytip> Geez, I don't know....Sebring Silver's a pretty nice colour...to want to change it seems like a pretty risky proposition. I can see why you're regretting the change, especially with the way the paint job's turned out. But on the other hand, had the result been satisfactory, the new colour(s) would have ensured that you'd be the proud owner of one truly unique car. Are you suing for specific performance or damages?

Lazarus said:
Jaytip> Geez, I don't know....Sebring Silver's a pretty nice colour...to want to change it seems like a pretty risky proposition. I can see why you're regretting the change, especially with the way the paint job's turned out. But on the other hand, had the result been satisfactory, the new colour(s) would have ensured that you'd be the proud owner of one truly unique car. Are you suing for specific performance or damages?
i am going to speak to the local trading standards officer and see what options are open to me.what i would really like to do is take the car to a different bodyshop to have them correct the job and then get the original body shop to pay the bill.
after the heated arguement that i had with him i would not trust him with my car again.he and his wife who is a part owner and also works there doing the paper work,were extreamly rude and vindictive towards me and my girlfriend(the wife even threatening to hit my girlfriend),so i do not know what they are capable of doing to my car,knowing that any work that he has to do now,he will be doing for no profit.

That sounds like the right thing to do. There must surely be a superior bodyshop that you could go to to get the job done right.

Good luck to you.:)

What a great thread! I just lurk since I sold my NSX a few years ago (it's in Hawaii now, lucky car) but had to add a comment.

My experience with modding has finally given me this perspective: Fantasy vs Reality. Most mods can be viewed this way: the fantasy of the improvement the mod is supposed to make, how good it will feel, how great it will make your car; the reality of how little difference the mod really makes, its sub-OEM quality, its poor fitment and the comprises you must suffer with due to its installation.

To each his own but to me the vanity mods -- which for some reason are supposed to look mean or cool -- are the worst. People do these things to their cars that absolutely destroy their driveability... but it looks cool. I guess that's fine if one is all about looks and not substance. The other is trying to make a track car out of a car that spends 99% of its life on the street. If those mods actually work, well, then at least it's substance. If the owners wish to live with the street compromises, they're entitled, but I don't get it.

My bottom line, especially on a high-end performance car, is they are carefully engineered by people who know what they are doing to achieve a certain balance -- with much more development dollars than any aftermarket maker can afford. I'm not going to spoil my car and waste a lot of money. I now enjoy my cars for what they are and appreciate a pristine stock example more than any other. If I think I want to make a mod I see it and feel it on someone else's car first to see how close the reality is to the fantasy. Most of the time, it's not even close.

The only mod that I did that I quickly reversed was to put on the Taitec JGTC exhaust with the cat by-pass pipes. After one hour of driving the car I couldn't stand it anymore and put the cats back on.

All of the mods that I have done are easily reversible. If someone who didn't know too much about an NSX looked at my car they probably wouldn't even recognize the mods that I have done. The newest mod that was completed yesterday was the installation of the 2003 rear valance. :) Since it's a factory update I don't even consider it a mod.

jaytip nsx said:
i am forced to take him to court.
(the wife even threatening to hit my girlfriend),so i do not know what they are capable of doing to my car
Hmmm... the UK, a violent, litigious, and vindictive society. I thought that's what folks elsewhere thought of the States... :D

I truly believe that one day the NSX will be worth more money than what we all paid for ours. Styling, exclusivity, and technology all will play a part in the future value.

That being said, I would carefully consider any mod before following through. I, personally, will not put anything on the car that is permanent.

We are simply temporary caretakers for these cars. Imaging yourself one day trying to track down that original shift knob you tossed, or paying a small fortune for those OEM wheels you sold.

The same exact thing occurs when you restore a car. Tracking down parts and buying non oem replacement parts. I know I've paid a small fortune on my 67 Camaro.

I'd agree with that. As time goes by, pre-owned NSXs will be much more valuable if they're unmodified.

Besides, modifications add virtually zero value in the second hand market.

Are you all kidding me ,I can't wait to receive best in show at Pebble for the pristine bumblebee in 2020!:D By that time brakes will be magnetic and people will pay good money to hear that sssqqqueale,lol!

Re: Pass it up

92NSX said:
I couldn't keep quiet anymore when saw this thread.
I think everybody knows what my biggest regret was. I'll just leave it at that.

Ouch! Even I remember that thread.

And yes, I'm sure that Sochiro Honda wouldn't be pleased with some of the NSX's out there. In particular, any body kit by Mugen. Ick!

paint

jaytip nsx

Go after them for the paint job. I paint for a living and with a flip/flop color you have to paint the entire car at the same time with all the body parts on the car to get it to look right, if not the panels will not match. It is an art to spary this paint and takes a top notch painter to do it right. Sounds like the painter did not have very much experience with this type of custom paint. I would go after them for a complete repaint at a more experienced shop.

http://media.granturismo.com/gallery/nsx/aaz

That front splitter cracked to pieces within 2 days. My car is lowered 1.5" with TEIN-RA as well. I am back to OE splitter.

Actually it would be a good mod for track use possibly, but way too low for street use.

Eibach Pro-Kit spring + Koni shock. As stated above, those are now gone. Eibach springs don't help the driving feel of the NSX at all. I think it is the progressive nature of the spring which creates some sway effect that doesn't give good feedback to the driver.

Last edited:
jas said:
What a great thread! I just lurk since I sold my NSX a few years ago (it's in Hawaii now, lucky car) but had to add a comment.

Hey JS, is that you? If so, first time I've seen you post! :)

Darkcyd said:
I concur as well. The Exedy clutch was the absolute worst mod I ever had done. I hated my car and seeing as how it is my daily driver, the pedal was so stiff that I pulled the muscle on my left foot a few times from driving too long in traffic. I was in heaven when it finally got switched out for a Centerforce.

I will be installing an Exedy very soon on my street/track car. I'll let you all know if I have pulled my leg muscle as well.

Andrie Hartanto said:
I have Recaro SPG in the car and love it. All my cars uses race bucket seat. Once you get used to bucket seat, you won't go back to regular plush seat.

I drive for long period of time to tracks (5+ hrs) and enjoyed it. The bucket seat forced you to seat at the correct position. The stock seat actually let you slump lazily on long drives. In the end of the journey I feel less tired than I am with stock seat. One thing you have to be sure is to get seat that work with your type of body.

I totally agree. I also use Recaro SPGs in my NSX and they fit my body size perfectly. You should sit in as many bucket seats to see which one fits you properly.

Re: Exedy

I've never felt an Exedy clutch before, but I can sympathize as I had a 3500# Borg & Beck in my Cuda. That thing was so stiff that after a few months it'd make your left calf look like a Popeye arm.

That was 12 years ago, and now I prefer a stock or stock-ish clutch in my NSX.

I guess the only NSX mod I regret is the K&N filter element. It didn't add any power and the added noise is not my cup of tea. Actually, it's the only aftermarket mod I made to my car.

Hey Ben!

Yeah, it's me. Like I said, with no NSX I mostly lurk. Hope everything is going great for you. I've seen pics of Chris' car in Hawaii and it still looks fantastic -- not one of my brighter moves.

Happy Holidays!

Tan -- I assume you went with the single since you have a later model car, and the multiplate doesn't work with your car's input shaft. In that case, your findings will probably be different than others, who are using the multiplate.

-- Chris

Tantheman said:
Damn I just ordered the Exedy Clutch for mine.

Tan

Chris@SoS said:
Tan -- I assume you went with the single since you have a later model car, and the multiplate doesn't work with your car's input shaft. In that case, your findings will probably be different than others, who are using the multiplate.

-- Chris

Thanks Chris! Yes I told the Exedy Dealer that I had a 2000 NSX-T; although the clutch is not worned yet I thought I purchase a high end clutch also he made me an offer I could not refuse on the price. He told me that the single plate was the one that would fit a 2000. I thought the references to the Exedy applied to all their clutches.

Tan

jas said:
Hey Ben!

Yeah, it's me. Like I said, with no NSX I mostly lurk. Hope everything is going great for you. I've seen pics of Chris' car in Hawaii and it still looks fantastic -- not one of my brighter moves.

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays! I know exactly how you feel my friend! :)

NetViper said:
I will agree. I drove a friends at nsxpo 2002 and it was AWFUL. He actually sold it and went back to stock within a few months.

Hey thats me! I think I was one of the first on this site to unfortunately experience the Exedy clutch. No matter what anyone tells you, that is NOT a streetable clutch in any shape or form. It did great on the track at NSXpo 2002 though...it was one of the big reasons I was leaving you in the dust, NetViper! :)

-Deep

Soulstice said:
Hey thats me! I think I was one of the first on this site to unfortunately experience the Exedy clutch. No matter what anyone tells you, that is NOT a streetable clutch in any shape or form. It did great on the track at NSXpo 2002 though...it was one of the big reasons I was leaving you in the dust, NetViper! :)

-Deep

Deep! Never thought you would post again!

Yes, his clutch did suck large. However, he normally ate my dust.... not the other way around... And he sure would not with that little S2000... :)

Back