• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

most miles traveled on full tank

Don't really pay that much attention to it. I don't hardly ever fill the tank completely up unless I'm going out of town. I only drive it on weekends so I can't see filling it up and letting it set there for so long.

Driving from Denver to Lake Ontario in New York State, I got one tank to take me 514 miles -- Put in 17.8 gallons after that. This was across Kansas and Missouri. I was almostly exclusively on two lane highways, and on this leg I only wound out third gear a dozen or so times (You have to be really sure you are well past the car you are over taking!) Otherwise I was traveling about 65 - 80 quite steadily in 5th gear.

This was in very late June -- and there was a not inconsiderable tail wind. Also note that I probably dropped 1500 feet of elevation -- although that was probably not a factor worth a hoot.

Several times I have gotten just over 30 mpg. Note that I walk to work and my only driving is highway.

Highest miles before fill-up was 453 miles with a 16.8 gallon fill-up.

Best ever fuel economy for 400+ miles before filling up is 29.1 mpg.

Largest fill-up was 17.5 gallons.

I went 404 miles before my last fill-up (16.4 gallons). I average 278.1 miles before each fill-up.

NSXtasy,

Thanks a lot for your infomative comments on this forum! You always seem to contribute in a meaningful way and I just wanted to acknowledge it....you have responded to many of my posts.....yes, I have logged in 24 mpg on the highway when I was driving my NSX back home. Thanks again!

Off topic: I usualy get less than 120 miles of a full tank (yes, it's on the racetrack and I usualy pit when the fuel light begins to flicker, no fuel supply problem in corners 'til that point, there seems still to be a lot of fuel in the tank).

NSX-Racer said:
Off topic: I usualy get less than 120 miles of a full tank (yes, it's on the racetrack and I usualy pit when the fuel light begins to flicker, no fuel supply problem in corners 'til that point, there seems still to be a lot of fuel in the tank).
Yes, I too typically get 7-9 mpg on the track. The gauge reads low and the light flickers because the car is taking corners hard and, I assume, this makes the fuel slosh to the side and makes the level sensor think the tank is empty. This happens when the tank is as much as one fourth full. The gauge returns to normal at the end of the session when I come off the track.

i recall a thread like this before, but it may have been on the mail list. one of the things that stuck with me was a story about two guys driving an NSX back from the west coast (was it Larry B maybe?) and trying to out do each other on the mileage between fillups. As I recall, one of them actually managed to hit 500 miles on a tank. Crazy!

I fill up when the needle gets near E, before the light comes on. I typically get almost exactly 300 miles at that point. I think the longest I've pushed it is maybe 380 going well toward "D" (D comes before F and E, right? :)).

for me, i filled up the gas when the light came on, and the reading after the light came on again was (worst 179 and best 210) i have auto and i drive mostly in the city.

I had around 425 miles once or twice.....gas light was on for a while. Oh well. :)

By actual measurement I went from Newport to Parker on a tuesday (light traffic)... 333.1 miles (based on trip odometer) after top-off at departure and took 12.605 gallons (same top-off level) upon arrival... except for one stop was on cruise control (70 to 78 mph per speedometer) all the way... that would compute to 485 miles or so on the full 18.5 gallons.

Vic

no computing allowed :p. if you want to use that method, i've driven 34 miles per gallon over a few gallon period... computed thats 629 miles a tank!! woohoo!!! just put 17 gallons in the other day after 355 miles.

Sorry, robr, if I broke the rules (grin)... just thought that 333.1 actual, continuous miles all in the same day with an accurate gallonage might be of interest, and would give other owners some insight into the possibilities. As pemnnance I guess I'll just have to go out and drive a full tank bone dry... just hope it runs out within hiking distance of a go-juice depot (smile). Hey (chuckle), you're not related to Mr. Wolf, are you?

i wish i could get 333 miles on 12.6 gallons..... i just cant keep my it out of VTEC. im waiting for my wife to start yelling at me about it. she's encouraging me to take her celica GT when I go out because i drive such a 'gas guzzler'.

Well... (bashfull grin)... then there's my porsonal worst... 156.6 on 9.505 gallons... seems the twisties up in the mountains north east on Hwy 39, then across to Baldy Village, and since that wasn't enough to lighten my lead foot, home via the Ortega Highway... let's see... that was a big 16.47554 MPG (grin)... but my use of 159.178 gallons for a total of 3357.6 miles since May 5 2004 when I bought my Beauty, gives me an average for my fairly evenly mix of city, highway, lead footing and relaxed long cruise control trip cruising of 21.09337 MPG. Can't kick abaout that, I guess... I say, "what an incredible car!!!"

My best mileage on a highway 2 lane not interstate was 29.5 miles per gallon. In the city I regularly run 22 miles per gallon. That is one thing we can be happy about is good gas mileage from a great car. Compare that mileage to any other exotic and we really come out ahead. :)

nsxexotic said:
Hey you guys forgot to state if your car was automatic or manual.... it makes a huge difference. Bigger wheels will affect mpg as well.

'92 5 speed with 105K miles on the odo, Comptech headers, custom Magnaflow exhaust, Home Depot intake mod, oem RE010's on '94 oem 7 spoke rims, Ground Control springs with Koni shocks. I cruise in 4th at 70mph.

Mr.Wolf said:
Depends on how many "Passengers" I have. :D
You got that right. That trunk is a tight squeeze, sometimes i have to dislocate there joints to make it work, ha ha............. Ok, i took it to far

YUMNA2 said:
today i hit 240 miles and the gas light didnt even go on yet.. anyone try to push it even further? i drive in the city most of the time and i guess 240 miles isnt bad..

As of right now I have 280.8 miles on just below HALF a tank of gas. This is highway driving mostly though. :smile:

Meeyatch, I would guess that the gauge isn't that exactly - you may already have a lot less than half of the fuel and the gauge will come down more quickly for the rest of its travel downwards... that's at least my experience.

Back