• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MOTUL x-lite 0W/30

Another oil thread, I know, but this stuff replaced the 0W/40 and is Ester-based. They claim it to be for high-reving engines.
Background: 0W/30 is hard to find in Europe, most oils are 0W/40 like Mobil 1. We don't have Amsoil and the stuff you have in the US. I'd like to switch from Mobil 1 0W/40 to an oil Honda recommends, means grade = 30.

What do you think?

Run it, send it to Blackstone or Terry Dyson and they'll tell you exactly how great or not great the oil is. Scientific vs. anybody's guess method.
Alternatively, try bobistheoilguy.com. There are lots of quasi-informed, quasi-scientified opinions there.

My personal quasi-scientified/quasi-informed advice is that I like Motul and have used it in the past, but Terry calls it "expensive garbage"........................ enh.

Last edited:
You can go for the MOTUL 8100 MAX 5W30 and it is ester based. You live in Europe, I thought MOTUL is manufactured in France unless there is no demand for x-lite 0W 30. I use Motul and love it, I feel the difference compared to Mobil One. This Ester base is great as they say it lubricates the engine so during cold and or dry starts the engine is always fully lubricated, great engine protection.

Last edited:
I've had contact to their customer service and the competent person had a S2000 himself, so he was very willing to tell me more about their oil. :wink: He said that their 0W/30 is much thinner than the 10W/30 the manual recommended (he looked it up). He said it would be better to go with x-cess 5W/40 or even go with their 300V 5W/40 Power which is a racing oil and double ester based. He uses the later for his S2000. This oil is slightly thicker than 0W/40 but has a higher polarity which should result in a thicker oil film being left on the engine parts waiting for the next cold start while 'normal' oil has to be pumped from the oil pan first. Not unreasonable but I'm no expert and can't prove it either.

Back