• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Multiple carseats in the back....

Hey NSX'er parents and/or those familiar with this setup....

Looking to get a bigger vehicle as we have another (our 2nd) baby on the way. This means ill have 2 car seats in the back of a vehicle and both rear facing for a while as well. Current child is 19 months FYI. I'd like to hear what vehicles you have with 2 car seats. I'm open to vehicles but thinking something along the lines of (used) newer M5, M3, e63, s63, alpina b7 maybe.... You get the idea I think...sporty, fun, fast, and big enough. Looking to stay at/under $60k if possible.

Any ideas?

Save the money and get a used minivan. With the leftover money buy a toy.

Our baby Hauler is a Yukon, but then again we live in Montana and don't have to worry much about traffic, tight parking spots, etc...

If I was in your shoes, I'd lean toward something a bit cheaper, and put the money toward another toy too. I am also in the boat of (almost) having 2 kids to haul around. Baby #2 is due in December and my first is 19 mos old.

Hey NSX'er parents and/or those familiar with this setup....

Looking to get a bigger vehicle as we have another (our 2nd) baby on the way. This means ill have 2 car seats in the back of a vehicle and both rear facing for a while as well. Current child is 19 months FYI. I'd like to hear what vehicles you have with 2 car seats. I'm open to vehicles but thinking something along the lines of (used) newer M5, M3, e63, s63, alpina b7 maybe.... You get the idea I think...sporty, fun, fast, and big enough. Looking to stay at/under $60k if possible.

Any ideas?

911 turbo or 911 c4s

Our baby Hauler is a Yukon, but then again we live in Montana and don't have to worry much about traffic, tight parking spots, etc...

If I was in your shoes, I'd lean toward something a bit cheaper, and put the money toward another toy too. I am also in the boat of (almost) having 2 kids to haul around. Baby #2 is due in December and my first is 19 mos old.

We have a Honda Pilot as the family car. It is great.

Forget the M3 unless you're one of the 7 dwarves and don't mind your knees up in your face.

Cars that I had decent luck with for moving around two rear facing child seats that the kids then grew into (currently the kids are 7 and 8):

G35 sedan
RL
Pilot EX-L
Odyssey Touring (far and away the best kid hauler ever)
CR-V EX-L (just got this, compared to the Odyssey it's a big BLEH. Having leaser's remorse on this one).

Cars I've owned since kids that are not comfortable for multiple kids
NSX (obviously did not work at all!)
M3 (works in a pinch for short trips but the kids are uncomfortable and my daughter has to let her legs hang into "my sons side of the car"). Also very narrow seats require very narrow car seats in order not to damage the seat cushioning.
Celica GT (this was my wife's car when we had our first born, also worked for short trips)

M5 would be a friggin awesome family hauler. I finally decided to go with the M3 because I wanted a convertible but M5 was a close second. I was really torn. I went into the latest purchase thinking I wanted an M5.

Last edited:
I may face this issue soon, was the thinking about a Legacy GT. I haven't driven one yet, but my thoughts were that it should be a bit more roomy than a WRX, with nearly as much power and good potential for mild engine and suspension work. AWD is attractive too, although in Seattle there's maybe three snowy days per year.

I may face this issue soon, was the thinking about a Legacy GT. I haven't driven one yet, but my thoughts were that it should be a bit more roomy than a WRX, with nearly as much power and good potential for mild engine and suspension work. AWD is attractive too, although in Seattle there's maybe three snowy days per year.

That awd is awesome in the rain. Our forester had a bit more rear leg room than my sti but really they're both too small. We changed the forester to the pilot and never looked back.

......do you mean bigger car or suv ect...?

Thanks all for the replies.

Docjohn, not totally opposed to SUV's. The new jeep SRT8 is a monster. I like the cayenne, but would be hard pressed to find a non-beat up turbo in that price range I think. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would think the srt8 jeep would be perfect.........

We had a 2003 Grand Cherokee that we absolutely loved. Sold it, simply because it didn't get driven very much. We were looking at the newer Jeeps too when we bought our Yukon and I don't think I could swallow the 70K price tag on one of the new SRT8, although it is a sweet ride.

The way we kind of look at it is this - our daily driven vehicles are just that, nothing overly special - used to serve a purpose. Hers (the Yukon) to go to work, haul little dude to daycare, haul a stroller, and be able to tow our snowmobiles if she wants to bring them up to the cabin with her parents. Mine, is a F350 Crew Cab long box. It's my work truck, plain and simple. Its got a ton of miles (since I put about 6K/month on for work) and is a diesel. I use it to tow my race trailer, the 5th wheel and it constantly has about 1,000 lbs of tools in the bed.

I'd shy away from the Subaru, only because I have a friend with 2 daughters and as they were getting older the car quickly became too small for them. His was a forester too, he ended up getting into a Toyota Sequoia which I actually really like, I just couldn't find one locally in good enough shape to justify buying (hell, we went to Seattle to pick his up when he bought it).

If mileage isn't too much of a concern, I'd suggest getting something a bit larger. If it is, my Dad bought my mom a Pilot and even though it is a tad smaller, it is an all around awesome vehicle. I wouldn't even be opposed to one for a baby hauler for myself. Although not very fast, or "sporty", the V6 in it makes it move decent enough for what it is. Plus, parts are cheap and they're super simple to work on.

We have a Cayenne S and it has been great. Bought it as a lease return with only 30k on the clock. It is a bit on the smaller side when when you have to pack things in there. We are looking to get out of it and into a Q7.

Got a Q7 and although it is a good SUV, there are some flaws, specifically that water can drip into the Bose amp in the back and then you have nothing. The MMI will NOT engage and it will be over a 1K repair. Also, AC fan bearing can fail and then you have the pleasure of SERIOUS squeaks in the car. Still like the car but now wishing that we had gotten the Porsche Cayenne S or Turbo. We really need the SUV for towing a boat and snowmobile trailer. Good tow vehicle.

We have a Cayenne S and it has been great. Bought it as a lease return with only 30k on the clock. It is a bit on the smaller side when when you have to pack things in there. We are looking to get out of it and into a Q7.

- - - Updated - - -

911 turbo or 911 c4s

rear facing seats will not too well in a 911 turbo but otherwise, I agree. My 6 and 8 year old fit fine in the rear seat. Height wise, they are both in the 90th percentile although I am only 5'8" so my seat is moved forward.

I would really consider something like an Allroad. Our 2001 Allroad has 350 HP and over 200K miles without any major issues. We test drove the new Allroad and it is really nice with lots of room. Bought an Evoque instead because of the superior in car entertainment for the kids. Had an 01 M3 and 08 M3, actually like the 01 better (It was at XPO last year with my father in law) Father in Laws kids also preferred the 01 M3 for rear seat comfort (Age 10 and 16)

rs6 with low miles is under 30, and then you have 500+hp ( with simple reflash) 5 person sedan

Maintenance costs are a bummer, but it does have a huge trunk as well

You can pretty much get away with most vehicles out there. We have an Odyssey as a dedicated baby hauler. We have 3 kids...3.5 y.o, 22 month, and a 7 day old baby.
My 2013 750i is perfect if I need to put all 3 in the back.

Maintenance costs are a bummer, but it does have a huge trunk as well

considered this as well before going with the M3 and saw the maintenance costs were an absolute nightmare. same reason i bought an NSX instead of a mondial back in 1996 :)

My luxury family hauler. I'd want an auto. The M5 has a shitty auto. I'd get a lexus ISF. Big V8, more reliable and better resale than BMW, lower interior noise levels.

And you can get a good one about 40K.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd even seriously look at a brand new lexus IS350 F sport:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EEwcE9ngKXA&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEEwcE9ngKXA%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Gonna have to disagree with Turbo on those choices. There is very little room in the back seat of an ISF or IS350. Less even than an M3 and the M3 is only good for short drives with the family due to lack of rear space. Great cars but definitely not a family hauler. I still go back to the M5. I wouldn't buy an auto though.

Really? I don't remember them being nearly as tight as you say but it's been a while.

Back