• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my bbsc install...IAT temps

i recently installed an air temp gauge since i dont have aftercooler yet.
car dynoed at 420 on dynpack but that is high compared to mustang dyno which would probably be around 385rwhp.
weather here in socal is close to 90's...temp showing in gauge is below 120f or at 120f. when i punch it, it would raise
to 150f easy but no greater.

what are your inputs on this ? i honestly think it's safe but i need to hear your opinions. also, i am running cold air intake.

thanks guys!

in a hot summer day if ur under 160F I would say that your pretty safe (with the right tune, supporting mods, etc.).

BBSC is a centrifugal blower (there are 3 types of blowers) and it really "throws" the air instead of compression like the roots and twin screw blowers.

This means less parastatic loss/drag and less heat. Saves $$$ on intercooler and/or meth/water injection requirements.

Only down side is that centrifugal blowers seem to require rebuilds more often than their positive displacement counterparts.

i was going to meth injection but i hear it's not good for the car. they said use only meth of your' boosting more than 10psi..
my car is properly tuned with FIC, 750cc, stock pump and boosted 7.2psi on dyno that showed 420rwhp on dynapack.
i honestly punched the car one time and i was keeping my eye on boost gauge. it didnt seem to reach 7psi but again i didnt stay
that long on 2nd gear, redline was below 6500rpm. car runs really good in my opinion. blower is just very annoying with it's noise.
the kit has the updated blower N2000.

I heard about that. im also thinking of installing greddy type fz BOV. what are your inputs on this if vented to atmosphere?

I loved the noise of the blower. IDK why meth would be considered "bad unless you run 10 psi." that makes zero sense. After 10 psi all of a sudden it's "good?"

what bov were you using? vented or circulate ?how do you like it ?

I loved the noise of the blower. IDK why meth would be considered "bad unless you run 10 psi." that makes zero sense. After 10 psi all of a sudden it's "good?"

- - - Updated - - -

dont know much about meth either. a friend of mine with evo raise his boost up with a bigger turbo, was running meth
but still blew up his motor. maybe it wasnt properly tuned, i am not sure.

what bov were you using? vented or circulate ?how do you like it ?

- - - Updated - - -

dont know much about meth either. a friend of mine with evo raise his boost up with a bigger turbo, was running meth
but still blew up his motor. maybe it wasnt properly tuned, i am not sure.

so the guy is running larger than stock turbos, and meth, and blew up his car... so blames the meth? lol

No chance he could have had a bad tune, bad gas, boost creep, etc? Never heard of meth blowing an engine. Since it adds effective octane, and lowers the intake temps... IDK i'm no physicist, but...

not sure peiserg, i was just told a bit of the story...not the whole thing. some are biased on meth. they said it's good, some feel it's not good at all. im on the same boat...i'm no pysicist...lol !!

When people talk about blowing up the motor they need to clarify what exactly blew up. LOL

Did it blow up from detonation or was it due to the power limits of the engine parts that just couldn't take it and flew apart (ie - stretched bolts, something stripped from the block, con rods bent/stretched or cracked, etc.)

ah, i think if i recall it blew up due to detonation. he blew a piston i think. the raised the boost so high i suppose.
they track the car i heard.

anyways, wheather today is around 92's F and i drove the car since im heading to the shop to get some
braided lines installed. not going to punch it but i wud like to see what my temps wud be driving normal.

When people talk about blowing up the motor they need to clarify what exactly blew up. LOL

Did it blow up from detonation or was it due to the power limits of the engine parts that just couldn't take it and flew apart (ie - stretched bolts, something stripped from the block, con rods bent/stretched or cracked, etc.)

werd. If Bozo with his stock motor making 640 rwhp on his turbo/e85 blows up someone will probably blame the e85, rather than stock pistons making 640rwhp. My bbsc cracked a ring land... after something like 50,000 PLUS miles of boost including thousands of track miles, AND methanol. I hardly blame the bbsc, or meth. take a stock part, double its output... gee whiz...

i think the main thing with meth is the corrosive nature and complexity that's added to your system.. one more part to fail, so to speak. WIthout tuning for extra power, the car made another 30 rwhp by adding 100% meth spray. I'm sure i could have picked up another 40 or 50 rwhp by advancing timing, but was worried if my meth pump fails, the nozzle clogs, the tank runs dry, bad gas etc...

Last edited:
Amen!

I'm not sold on Meth/water injection kits.

Adding more parts to the equation to mitigate a potential problem also adds something else to the "parts failure" equation and in the case of meth injection another element of headaches (damaged components from the corrosive nature of the Meth).

Also, I'm not sold by E85 for the following (based on tuner shop feedback, friends that are running it, and my own research):

1. E85 quality control just isn't really there (all over the place on the "octane" consistency and overall fuel quality) making me think it's a "hobby fuel" where it's at ur own risk
2. E85 is corrosive for cars that weren't designed for E85 in the first place. Mine as well do a sulfuric acid spray. I'm already hearing news of friends detonating from fuel starvation due to clogged injectors
3. unacceptable MPGs (thanks to alcohol having a lower power density to gasoline)
4. not too many E85 stations where I live.

Amen!

I'm not sold on Meth/water injection kits.

Adding more parts to the equation to mitigate a potential problem also adds something else to the "parts failure" equation and in the case of meth injection another element of headaches (damaged components from the corrosive nature of the Meth).

Also, I'm not sold by E85 for the following (based on tuner shop feedback, friends that are running it, and my own research):

1. E85 quality control just isn't really there (all over the place on the "octane" consistency and overall fuel quality) making me think it's a "hobby fuel" where it's at ur own risk
2. E85 is corrosive for cars that weren't designed for E85 in the first place. Mine as well do a sulfuric acid spray. I'm already hearing news of friends detonating from fuel starvation due to clogged injectors
3. unacceptable MPGs (thanks to alcohol having a lower power density to gasoline)
4. not too many E85 stations where I live.

i agree there are questions with e85. my answers to your points as pertaining to me...

I have an e85 test kit i keep in my car. cost me $16, and takes about 60 seconds to test the E85 before fillup.

If e85 was that corrosive, i doubt mainstream manufacturers would use it much. Ive read quite a bit on it, as i converted my nsx over. The main culprit i've found is the hygroscopic nature. Which is definitely something to think about. But the best defense i found was to make sure you have constant usage of the vehicle to keep fuel flowing through the system regularly

MPG? Lol. YOu telling me you watch your MPG as you strap on the power adders? haha.

I have an e85 station 3 blocks from my house :)

hey guys, out of curiousity and prolly a dumb question.... with bbsc, does the car need to redline in order to hit full boost?
i noticed on mine i hit close to 7psi when im almost hit redline on 1st and 2nd. do i need to tighten the belt more ??

thank you

hey guys, out of curiousity and prolly a dumb question.... with bbsc, does the car need to redline in order to hit full boost?
i noticed on mine i hit close to 7psi when im almost hit redline on 1st and 2nd. do i need to tighten the belt more ??

thank you

yes. totally different boost profile vs. the whipple. Don't tighten the belt any more than required or you'll ruin your carrier bearings, if you're lucky. You'll ruin your crank bearing if you're not lucky. I tightened it to where it JUST stops slipping, and then maybe half a turn more at max.,

BBSC and other centrifugal blowers seem to be more evenly matched with motors that start life with more TQ from down low, like a large displacement domestic V8, or even my S-10 4.3 V6. I spin the tires off the line and right when the OEM heads can't support life on it's own the blower fills in that area towards the top end.

Last edited:
ok, thanks guys! i honestly think my car is properly tuned then.

Back