• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice from BMW M5 owners

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2006 M5 with SMG III from it's original owner.
I know nothing about BMW's or M5's and would appreciate hearing from any owners who can give me some guidance here.
Jim

Test drove one when I was thinking of buying in 2010'ish. Love the engine. Hated the SMG for daily driving. It was clunky and noisy not befitting a luxury sedan. Some people may have a higher tolerance for such things though. Drive it first.

I can't speak to maintenance cost, etc.

My buddy ended up buying a 550 with the M Sport package. I felt that was a better all around car in terms of a comfortable daily driver.

It's a tale of two opposite extremes. And those two extremes mostly delineate on the "m button." Transitioning into the performance extreme is astonishing. The exhaust wakes up, power is up, the HUD comes on, and the car does things that put into the sports car realm. I think the diff and suspendo change as well. That V10 is, IMHO, one of the best engines ever put into an automobile. Swoon.

The electronics are equally astonishing but not in a positive way. I couldn't deal with the aesthetics or the frustrating electronics and bought an e39 M5. Really, you have to drive a good example and determine for yourself.

I owned the previous gen, a 2003. While I enjoyed the car, and I am glad I scratched that "BMW itch," it also cured me of any desire to own another bimmer. Although the i8 certainly looks nice.

i read the bmw forums a lot,the previous generation m3 came with an smg as a option and it appears to be pretty universally thought to be a bad transmission. if you want an m5,i would look for a manual transmission.

the motor is a whole different story.the v-8 in my m3 derives extensively from the older v-10 in the m-5,and it's one of the finest ever,amazing throttle response and sound,they have won numerous awards.mine redlines at 8400,pretty impressive for a v-8.

Last edited:
I loved my E60 M5 with an Eisenmann race exhaust. The only reason I traded it in was because the warranty was expiring and I had a brake job coming up. The only problem I had under warranty was the clutch needed to be replaced (SMG III). I wouldn't own one of these without an extended warranty. It adds up too quickly.
Also, I would avoid 2006 models. First year, most problems.

Thanks to all for their comments.
It sounds like there could be much cost associated with the transmission.

I loved my E60 M5 with an Eisenmann race exhaust. The only reason I traded it in was because the warranty was expiring and I had a brake job coming up. The only problem I had under warranty was the clutch needed to be replaced (SMG III). I wouldn't own one of these without an extended warranty. It adds up too quickly.
Also, I would avoid 2006 models. First year, most problems.
Holy cow Matt! An upcoming brake job pushed you to trade it in? I hate to ask how much was the brake service..

Would you be kind enough to break down exactly how was the SMGIII to drive? What did you like/dislike? How was it to live with? What annoyances?

Like I mentioned above.. I drove an E60 M5 with an SMG. It was clunky and thud noises occured. Sounded like the diff was about to let go or something. Kind of unerving. With that said.. I had no idea how to tune the M Mode or spent any time tuning the SMG settings.

I've been casually looking once a month for a nice E46 M3. I've almost been tempted to buy an SMG because some of these guys are just giving them away. Everytime i'm about ready to make a phone call... I read about how some people dislike the SMG and every single owner i've asked would say, "eh.. It's not that bad". That's typically the best reply I could get out of any current owner or previous owner.

Would really love to hear some real, first hand experience from NSX owners who've also owned an SMG II or up.

Last edited:
I drove an E60 M5 for a couple months. I love the car and despite the single clutch SMG, you can lift during the upshifts and blip the throttle on downshifts to greatly improve the smoothness of the gearbox. I was in the market for one as they are one heck of a deal right now however after reading more on the electronic gremlins, its a crap shoot between a car with no issues and many that are expensive nightmares. With a warranty I wouldn't hesitate. Due to this, I ended up getting a E90 DCT M3 which had a much better gearbox and essentially the same engine -2 cylinders.

After reading up on the V8 M3s, both the S65 & S85 V8 & 10s suffer from rod bearing failures. There's thousands of posts on the issue and possible causes and reasoning. At the end of the day, both motors are specced to run a 10W60 in one of the tightest tolerance production bearing clearances for an engine out there. Many are resorting to a thinner oil and even frequent bearing replacements. At the end of the day, I wouldn't hesitate to own one under warranty but grenading a motor out of warranty would be pretty bad and it happens a lot.

Billy summed it up perfectly.

The brake job was around $4k for rotors and pads at the time. Then I was going to have to pony up for an extended warranty. So to keep the car, I was looking at around $8k. Looking back, I should have paid it. Because I traded it in for an m6. Hated that car and dumped it within 6 months for a gtr

For most BMWs, you can save a TON of money if you change your own oil, brake pads, rotors, and simple problems by reading the forums. The BMW community is one of the best in this regard since there are ton of cars, many owners are enthusiasts, are on forums, and communicate/post DIYs/etc...

For my E36 M3, I saved ~$2,000 by removing my A/C controller, opening it up, and re-soldering a joint which are known to break. Just took a couple hours. Unfortunately, Just like for most current cars, i'm not sure how serviceable all of the electronic gizmos are going to be to fix in the future. However DCT is pretty reliable, but poor use of SMG can burn out clutches quickly.

So....................

I'm looking at an Automatic E36 M3 sedan. I know everyone tells me the Automatic is shitty but i'm really looking for a commuter. I'll be looking at one later today. These things are cheap these days that it almost seems worth it if you're comparing to a commuter Honda Accord or something.

Any thoughts on the automatic slushbox in this car. I mean.. Is it REALLY that bad for a commuter? I don't plan to track this car at all or even see any canyons with it.

E46 330i much better car
I can't find one for $4k which is the price I may be able to pick up this M3 for (if not sold already). I do agree on the E46 330i for sure but can't find them cheaper than $6-7k. I'm not trying to be a cheapass but $4k seems like a good deal.

I figure i'll drive it for a couple of years.. once something big blows up i'll gut it and turn it into a track car for another $5k maybe.

What happened to your brz?
I still have it. Still fun. Still great mpg. Still awesome 6AT but.. There's always a BUT.. The rear suspension sucks. Virtually no shock travel back there so even in stock form it's harsh. A bit too harsh for me especially with a daily Downtown LA commute thru some of the worse roads on the planet.

2k is probably worth it for a much more modern and newer car with a way better trans.
Always good advice Billy. I guess the answer is... the E36 M3 auto trans is *really* that bad huh :)

Well, as it turns out.. I think the deal fell thru anyway. Seller suddenly chooses to ignore me.

2 words: Don't buy

Out of warranty this car is an aging time bomb. The SMG tranny is very old technology. Unless driven hard it's not really a good car and that v10 is one of the thirstiest engines ever. The e39 and F10 are the more desirable M5's.

Back