• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Clarification on Window Grease

I have repeatedly seen references to Honda Hi-Temp Urea Grease. When I went to the dealer the parts guy checked with the NSX tech and sold me the Silicone Grease (08798-9013 vs the 9002).
I drove all the way back a few days later when my regular parts guy was back from vacation. Same story. Now I am reviewing the threads on the window rails and every one talks about the Hi-temp grease that the dealer told me stay away from. (Tube of silicone grease vs. jar of green goo)
I do not understand the need for a hi-temp grease but, that having been said, I do not want to do this job over because I was mislead.
Clarification please.
Thanks.
Michael

Thanks for the info.
I guess I am going to go back to the dealer (third time) and buy the Urea Hi-temp. At least it's an excuse to drive the NSX :biggrin:
I had read the threads you referenced and really did not understand the dealer's argument against the "right" grease.
Michael

You definitely want to use the Hi-Temp Urea Grease. It comes in a small plastic white/red jar.

It holds up very will with temperature and age. It lubricates the guides extremely well.

This is great stuff. I use it on my guns all the time and it holds up very well to heat and cycling. I put it on my AR15 bolt group and fire several hundred rounds through it.

I sprayed mine with wd40. Not sure how long it'll hold up, but before, when the weather gets cold, the old grease causes the windows to slow down.

WD40 is not meant to be a lubricant. It is a water dispacing solvent. I would only use Urea grease.

I sprayed mine with wd40. Not sure how long it'll hold up, but before, when the weather gets cold, the old grease causes the windows to slow down.

WD40 is not meant to be a lubricant. It is a water dispacing solvent. I would only use Urea grease.

What Big_D said.

Also, when it is cold I would be willing to wager that it is not cold grease that is making your windows slow...but stiff rubber, less power output from battery, and insufficient grease. This past winter on very cold days my accord's windows got so slow they wouldn't go up all the way continuously (circuit, protector, whatever would trip and I'd have to give it a 2nd/3rd/4th try). No problems after applying the green high-temp urea grease from Honda in the little red/white jar.

Or you can stay in the Honda family with a tube of Shin-etsu grease. It's also great for conditioning all the rubber weatherstripping. In reality, it's probably the same crap as the NAPA stuff.

shin.jpg

Now it's clear as mud...but it covers the ground. :confused:

Hugh has a pic of the grease the dealer sold me instead of the hi-temp and he says it's fine. Others say no. Well, it's my call and I will use the hi-temp as that seems to be the consensus.
It's been a fun discussion here and in the previous window operation threads.
Michael

Back