• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help!! Just baught an nsx from FL with a rebuilt title w/ 57k miles on it

I baught a rebuilt title nsx from a dealership in FL with 57k miles. I live in NY. Car had an accident and was repaired to rebuilt title status. It was registered in FL twice after before I purchased it. In the history it declares Salvage title. I am trying to register the vehicle in NY. At the dmv I realized they do not register rebuilt titles. Do I have to go through the Salvage Vehicle Examination? Or is there another way around it?

The car was recently delivered to my home. Looks beautiful but at the moment I cannot drive it legally. The car came with custom steering wheel and gages on the passenger side. I may have to remove them and replace it with factory steering wheel and airbags thats if I have to go through salvage inspection. The thing is Florida state passed the car went through inspection 2-3months ago. I am clueless at the moment. What should I do?

P.S.- If I have to remove the steering wheel with the gages and replace with factory steering wheel and airbags, can I purchase these Items from another nsx owner and have them replaced in order to pass inspection?

Go to the NY DMV and have them do an inspection, if it turns and parts aren't falling off, I'm sure it will "pass."

Whether it's a good car or one that you like, that's a different question. If you got a 'great' deal and the car drive straight and you plan on keeping it forever, just enjoy it, you'll be fine..

Do I have to go through the Salvage Vehicle Examination? Or is there another way around it?

http://www.nysdmv.com/salvexam.htm

You should also have LarryB check it out for you.

Take note that activated/removed airbags require that you install NEW ones, not used parts. You can't "borrow" someone's airbag since you need receipts that match the parts in the car.

Last edited:
Aren't these things you should know about BEFORE you buy a car and understand the process in your own state BEFORE buying??

Can you give us some specs - I'm interested to know the year, color, mileage, a pic or two, and what you paid for it. (curious)

Take note that activated/removed airbags require that you install NEW ones, not used parts. You can't "borrow" someone's airbag since you need receipts that match the parts in the car.

When I lived in Europe, a group of people attempted to steal the NSX that I owned at the time. During their attempted theft, they damaged the air bags. Fortunately my insurance covered everything, but I remember the replacement of the air bags cost a fortune.:eek:

Good luck

a lot of problems with laws are based on 'semantics'- the OP was aware of the rebuilt title and he knew he was buying a vehicle that was damaged and repaired. what he did not know is that most states require a higher level inspection when rebuilt titles are involved.

OP- you will not have any problems passing the inspection as long as the original equipment is present- i do not know what they will say about your steering wheel but they may just ignore it- afterall lots of people change those. salvage inspections are common, matter-of-fact procedures- they do a lot of salvage cars (last time at our dmv there were 20 brand new fords that were 'totaled' due to light hail damage- salvage does not mean catastrophic damage or accident but 'buyer beware').

Last edited by a moderator:
I baught a rebuilt title nsx from a dealership in FL with 57k miles. I live in NY. Car had an accident and was repaired to rebuilt title status. It was registered in FL twice after before I purchased it. In the history it declares Salvage title. I am trying to register the vehicle in NY. At the dmv I realized they do not register rebuilt titles. Do I have to go through the Salvage Vehicle Examination? Or is there another way around it?

The car was recently delivered to my home. Looks beautiful but at the moment I cannot drive it legally. The car came with custom steering wheel and gages on the passenger side. I may have to remove them and replace it with factory steering wheel and airbags thats if I have to go through salvage inspection. The thing is Florida state passed the car went through inspection 2-3months ago. I am clueless at the moment. What should I do?

P.S.- If I have to remove the steering wheel with the gages and replace with factory steering wheel and airbags, can I purchase these Items from another nsx owner and have them replaced in order to pass inspection?

You will need receipts for all the parts which were replaced because of the accident. All the vin tags on the body panels of the car will need to be visable and they HAVE to match the receipts you have. The state inspector can AND will impound the car.
You will HAVE to install all the safty componets on the car that were on the car when it came new from the dealer.

You will not be able to register the car in any other way shape or form in NY.

OR

you can apply for dealer plates.

Or

register the car in another sate,
Was the car registered in Florida?

I live in Fla and they don't really "inspect" cars...you can drive anything down here as long as it has a motor....there are virtually NO regulations to what wonders the roads and how they are registered!!! Big time place for scams and shady characters for that reason...sorry to hear the news about that transfer tho...I moved from PA long time ago and was amazed coming from a state that had real inspections to here...holy crap... just about anything can get registered as a "vehicle" here and get a Florida title...and just about any rusty scrape heap has a gun in it too lol :biggrin:... which is also legal here....

if the car was titled post florida inspection as you stated then you should be able to immediately register it because title has already been branded. Im a NY dealer and can review your paperwork with you if youd like, call me Mike 631-662-8822 and look on the bright side.......................you own an NSX now.

I see a lot of cars on ebay from Florida... is this part of the reason? Easier to "wash titles"?

BIG TIME !!!!!

Very very very little paper work needed...for Driver's Lic, title... anything lol great place if your here illegally or have illegal or sketchy stuff...lots of ways around the "proper" way here sadly enough...always be triple cautious when getting stuff from our state :frown:

I see a lot of cars on ebay from Florida... is this part of the reason? Easier to "wash titles"?

BIG TIME !!!!!

Very very very little paper work needed...for Driver's Lic, title... anything lol great place if your here illegally or have illegal or sketchy stuff...lots of ways around the "proper" way here sadly enough...always be triple cautious when getting stuff from our state :frown:

Very true , some states are very easy to obtain paperwork.

New York and here in Connecticut they bust your butt. I like to call the DMV 'The Department of Motor Vehicles , Homicide'
( They kill your time )

Lots-o-paperwork here , lots of documentation and inflexible regulations.

The only up-side about buying a car/boat/bike here is it usually has a better paper trail.

This has been a very informative thread. Didn't know about the Florida title thing. Yea, all those cars for sale in Florida...
4dce1656815acc30

I hope things work out for you, rodhkill. If needed, hopefully Mike can be of help. Good luck!

I bet that the "custom" steering wheel in the car costs 1/10 the cost of the OEM steering wheel and that is why it is there. Every time I see an add for a car with a "custom" steering wheel I think accident that was not fixed properly. That is unless the owner includes the original wheel with the purchase.

BIG TIME !!!!!

And here I always assumed the amount of Florida cars was because of the nice weather and lots of money in FL. All the tourist heading there with money burning holes in their pockets, and drug trade money.

My NSX was born in Japan & grew up in CA and NV. It is now in the heartland.

This site is full of interesting information... things to be aware of, etc.

Back