• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Blackberry Bold vs iPhone 3G?

Currently I'm using a Blackberry Curve and love everything about it. I do have a white 16gb iPhone as well that I occasionally switch back and forth from (sucks I have to call ATT to change my plan each time though).

Advantage Blackberry Curve:
1) Longer battery life
2) Instant emails and quick access to all Inbox's
3) Blackberry Messenger
4) Super LOUD audio playback

Advantage iPhone 3G
1) itune music browsing
2) youtube playback
3) Easy Internet surfing
4) Quick pictures slideshow
5) GPS

I was reading about the new Blackberry BOLD - looks to be a promising unit and like how it will allow me to be able to use my Itunes music libraries. What do you guys think about the new Blackberry? worth buying?

I would think a huge advantage for the iPhone would be all of those 3rd party applications that are available.

I would think a huge advantage for the iPhone would be all of those 3rd party applications that are available.

Only if one uses them. In my experience, most BB users only really care about email, phone, and a little bit of web surfing. They wouldn't know what to do with a SuperMonkeyBall.

that new phone from verizon looks huge compared to a curve let alone an iphone.

i think the bold will do the iphone justice imo. however, i think the curve suits me just right.

iPhone all the way. Better user interface, and probably more stable OS.

Have iTune and every thing can be backed up with no effort.

You get e-mail, voice mail, web, GPS and more, plus the otpion of supermoneyballs and Dynolicious!!!

After looking at the iphone 3G and learning it did not fix most of its flaws (cut and paste, MMS, video recording, non-swappable battery, etc.) I can't justify owning one over the Samsung Omnia, or the upcoming HTC Touch HD (the HTC Touch Pro has lagging issues with its software).

If Blackberry phones have been the preferance in the past, the upcoming Blackberry Thunder should be considered. It's the first touch screen Blackberry to come out. I haven't seen any videos yet so I can't comment on its UI capabilities.

Some Pics/Vids:

Blackberry Thunder (Will be release with Verizon as Blackberry Storm)
rim_blackberry_thunder_9500_series.jpg

Samsung Omnia (Will be released as the Samsung Mirage with AT&T)
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95Ky6nwR8ms&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

HTC Touch HD
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aiw5PsQ50Uc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
(Audio was re-recorded with English translation)

Another notable mention is the Sony X1 Xperia

i've got a sprint curve and i really like it. I have an ipod touch and it makes me want an iphone even more!! I don't have mms with my srpint curve and neither does the iphone. i have the simply everything package and that enough is making me stay with the Curve. How are the talk time packages with the iphone?

i've got a sprint curve and i really like it. I have an ipod touch and it makes me want an iphone even more!! I don't have mms with my srpint curve and neither does the iphone. i have the simply everything package and that enough is making me stay with the Curve. How are the talk time packages with the iphone?
Go with Iphone!!:biggrin:

The 3rd party applications provides unlimited fun and productivity. You can do market research, trade, real time ticker, really games, dyno, music, videos, and more. It would be a shame if people with Iphone don't take advantage of this, many applications are free.

The Blackberry Thunder looks to be a true contender and extremely attractive even for an Iphone fan like myself. I do put my money where my mouth is in a big way. The HTC dream and Nokia's new Tube all look promising, but Blackberry Thunder is the first one that makes me worried with its attractive package.

I wish I had sticked to my unbiased attitude and looked at bigger overall picture. I still think Iphone is best by far, but it is scary how fast and how soon other companies are putting out attractive Iphone alternatives. The Blackberry Thunder could very well hurt the sales of Iphone in a dramatic way. Please let me be so dead wrong for once.

$20k potentially down the toilet with AAPL at $108, could be my only true mistake yet. :frown:.

Last edited:
Sorry for newbie question, I've never had an iPod, or any Apple product. I just got the iPhone over the weekend after much research and talking to friends.

Where do I find these nifty iPhone applications?

The iTunes Store. Just look for the App Store.

Last edited:
I know people with the iphone and they complain that AT&Ts coverage make the phone almost worthless as a cell phone.

I guess it just depends where you live and travel. I've been with sprint and verizon in the past and never found a place I couldn't make a phonecall.

No problem using it in Durango, Mexico. When traveling outside of US, turn off data roaming or you will be unpleasantly surprised by your next AT&T bill.

My 2 1/2 year old absolutely loves it. She plays with the educational apps that I downloaded for her and watches her educational videos and podcasts (with a time limit of course) on it when we are traveling.

Wish it had some of the functions available on my Palm TX, but still no regrets.

$179 T-Mobile G1 by HTC with Google Android OS

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/?WT.mc_n=g1presale_customer_home1&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

* 3.17" display with the same resolution as the iPhone
* true capacitive touch screen
* WiFi
* 3G data (for T-Mobile USA, Europe, and Asia)
* full QWERTY keyboard
* GPS
* 3 megapixel auto-focus camera
* microSD memory card slot

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CHe8ujV9GuY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CHe8ujV9GuY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Did anybody actually get bold yet. I bought and instinct to try out and gave the curve a rest. I was impressed but any touch screen iphone contender has got to be able to beat the iphone web browsing, and be as fluid(pertaining to the accelerometer). NOW im trying to decide between the bold and the storm, unfortunatley neither is available on sprint, which has that incredible, "simply evrything" plan. Im guessing selective voicemail is not available with either BB?

Hold tight.

My buddy who owns a couple of Sprint stores says the Storm will be coming to Sprint in the future.

(current 8830 owner)

Have a Blackberry and iPhone and prefer the iPhone by far. When my employer upgrades me to the Bold, that may be a different story.

But for now, I can instantly check weather, my stocks and mutual funds (not that I want to right now), listen to Pandora, check traffic, check movie times and buy tickets online, read the news, get directions, actually read email attachments, email whomever, etc, and keep up on F1, all the iPhone.

I also prefer the iPhone. In fact I returned my free Blackberry from work and bought my own iPhone. Email on small devices is not my cup of tea, and the iPhone does everything else so much better than anything else I've seen so far. YMMV.

I stopped by the ATT store to play with the BOLD a few days ago and the graphics on this screen is EASILY as good as the iPhone - only problem is it's still a bit smaller :(

The BOLD also shoots video at really good quality which the Curve/iPhone could not do.

The one thing that I've learned by reading the Blackberry forums is that the BOLD draws a lot more power and many owners are saying the battery only lasts one day or less if used a lot. This was one feature I loved about the Curve since it can go for up to 3-4 days with on one battery!

The Storm looks VERY promising but again I'm worried about battery life. I'm going to keep my Curve for now and decide on the BOLD/Storm when it gets released.

btw, where I live Verizon is KING OF SERVICE - ATT sucks especially with the iPhone! A few of my buddies who use iPhone is always losing calls no matter where we are at (bowling alley, mall, etc) while my Verizon flip (biz phone) works perfectly. I'm on ATT only for the data plan for my Curve.

rick

Hold tight.

My buddy who owns a couple of Sprint stores says the Storm will be coming to Sprint in the future.

(current 8830 owner)

LOL I do NOT see that happening

<---coming from a guy who's a district manager for Verizon

I've played with the storm a few times recently, and I will say this, it's like nothing you've had before

Last edited:
iPhone is the first, just like iPod. iPhone will continue to dominate the market, just like iPod. iPhone has the most stable OS, with only periodic updates. Therefore, an iPhone five years from now are most likely be able to continue to be backwards compatible, you cannot say the same about other phones.

Others will imitate, and offer "some" better features over the iPhone while iPhone is in between models, at the end, iPhone will still be more superior dominated phone because those missing softwares/hardwares are easy to add. The only thing that is pulling iPhone back the the service, with ATT only, imagine if that changes.

Unless you're a Apple hater just absolutely refused Apple products, get the iPhone.

iPhone is due for an update to hold more charges, soon. Keep your eyes open.

Last edited:
The Bold has been out in Canada for over a month. It's a great keyboard phone.

The decision should be based on use: primarily entertainment or email? If it's email, then get a Blackberry.

Back