• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Ferrari 488 GTB Raises the Bar Again

It's not all young or unsophisticated people that use hashtags. It's really just a means on gauging and reaching into the public or social media.

in my own personal opinion, the only hashtag of note since the inception of the hashtag was muttered at the end of SNL skit when after 4 straight minutes of two young guys saying "hashtag something" everytime they opened their mouths, someone else opened the door and said "hashtag shut the f*#k up!"

I don't think the G35 or 350Z resembled the Z32 300ZX at all. The G35 and Turbo 300ZX were very close in weight. Besides the Z namesake, the 350Z was more Porsche/Audi TT like than the low stanced 300ZX.

O, and the epitome Z32 300ZX example is twin turbo V6 with 300 HP, not the NA 222 hp V6 or the 2+2 tanker.

regardless of what anyone reckons, I'd have to say the 350Z is the next model in the 300ZX line, with the 280 and 240 going before it. since Nissan did in fact name it a "Z" car, I don't think there's any debating that. while myself and others didn't particularly like it, it is certainly a superior car and was a huge sales success. I'd say Nissan is quite happy with it.

and the last iteration of the "high rev" engine did produce 307 or more horsepower, depending on the model.

however the original point of bringing up the Z cars was to distinguish the fact that Nissan hadn't left it sit idle as long as the NSX, which I think we have also covered at this point. considering Nissan has been making "Z" cars in one variant or another for over 45 years without lapse.

I've been a diehard 300ZX fan long before I owned the NSX. Many Z32 owners or enthusiast will agree the 300ZX was the special "Z" and Nissan botched the direction completely after that car. I think one day, they'll make another twin turbo Z tho with better looks than the current Z too I hope...

I think you're being awfully lenient to a mediocre sports car that sold well because it was cheap, considering the level of detail you've gone to debate with me here.

I think you're being extraordinarily unrealistic to say the 350Z was not a significant and proficient sports car and also a huge sales success.

Again this been a Ferrari thread, it is a good thing that Ferrari keeps producing evolutionary as well as revolutionary cars that keeps their customer base happy.

and again, to get back to this being a Ferrari thread. can we pretend Ferrari ever left any of their model lines stagnant?

Not in your previous statement:

"I've driven a factory boost gen3 swapped 93+ MR2 and it felt faster in a straight line than the NA1 NSX. "

Do you have a link of a BM MR2 vs. NA1 NSX? BM has many gross errors in not only their on track 'races' but many acceleration tests as well where they don't launch two cars at the same time. Look at this ridiculous comparison of the MR2 Vs. a 348 (which the NSX was faster in acceleration than) where the MR2 launches way before the 348 and they call them dead even in the 1/4 mile:

I was including my own personal experience, but I never ran that MR2 on a 1/4 mile to get precise numbers. The numbers I was quoting was from BM:

In the first link I posted, go to 4:10 mark. BM lists the MR2 at 13.1 and NSX at 13.2 400m along with various other cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEi-0Rx6J0

This one has the 3rd gen going against the 2nd gen at 13.3 vs 14.2 which in inline with the USDM times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsY8zv_6G3M

I can't find the video with several NSX variations race but 12:08 you can see the regular NSX -13.4 vs NSX Type S -13.07 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrxPyEcfTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bULZt__huE

Do you disagree with the above?

Wikipedia has the 348 as a 5.6 sec to 60 and 13.8 in the 1/4

The 348 is usually running in the 14s. That 13.8 is optimistic and the MR2 was a 2nd gen not 3rd going against it. I have a pdf scan of the 348 doing 14.4 against NSX 13.8 and 911 13.8 from AutoCar. Even Supercars.net, a site notorious for using lowest numbers list it at 14.3:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/564.html

http://0-60.reviews/ferrari-0-60/

Do you have a link? I have not seen a publication that recorded a stock NSX in the high 12s, while the 360 frequently hit 12.8 or better. I'm not sure about an NSX-R (which probably has 300hp) but the F355 has 75hp on top of that and beat the NA2 NSX-T by a good margin in every acceleration test i've seen. With 100hp+ over the NSX, and having tracked a 360, i'm pretty sure it will out drag one on the track without too much trouble.

There was a non-targa NA2 coupe on Car & Driver 7/98 12.9 @ 110 MPH. The 1999 Zanardi was clocked at 13.1 so it's not a stretch. I also remember seeing a 2002+ Targa running low/flat 13 from templeofVTEC I believe...

Due to its excessive anti-squat, the 350 is probably one of the best drifting cars in stock form that was ever made. The VQ35HR in the last model was a pretty good 306hp engine that took well to forced induction. At the time, i'd probably take a 350 over an S2000 due to its increased power, torque, longer wheelbase as a more fun daily driver. The 370 was a big improvement and I like those too.

I think you're being extraordinarily unrealistic to say the 350Z was not a significant and proficient sports car and also a huge sales success.

and again, to get back to this being a Ferrari thread. can we pretend Ferrari ever left any of their model lines stagnant?

SM and FA, check out the 3 part video that VP posted of the 300ZX, 350Z, and 370Z when you have some time to kill. The duo's review is spot on IMO with the pros and cons of each generation, especially the 350Z review of how the car was just a release to get things going. I think the general consensus, along with 2Slow2Speed's input is that the Z32 300ZX was a great car compared to mediocre more tech advanced 350Z and then faster/sharper 370Z.

And FA, you're comparing Honda, a company that makes bread-and-butter FF cars to Ferrari that depends solely the sales of sports cars. Honda has made 2 actual real sports cars - The S and N series. The S2000 came a few decades after the first S800. The new NSX is some 2 decades later from the original NSX. Honda clearly does not depend on sports cars to survive. If the entry F series from Ferrari was left untouched, the company would die. Honda clearly has not. Now who's being unrealistic?

N Spec, I reckon whatever you do for a living now, you should immediately resign your position and start running Nissan. you seem to know a lot more about producing and marketing their cars than they do.

as for comparing Honda to Ferrari, I'm comparing their mid-engine competing models (the purpose of this very thread). a company to company discussion is an entirely different thread, however Ferrari seems to be doing just fine in selling every road car they make, regardless of where the engine goes. even considering their extraordinary cost and less reliable reputation and value (in contrast to Honda).

but as happens so often, before we got off track as we generally do, we were comparing Nissan to Honda. both companies of similar merit...

I was including my own personal experience, but I never ran that MR2 on a 1/4 mile to get precise numbers. The numbers I was quoting was from BM:

In the first link I posted, go to 4:10 mark. BM lists the MR2 at 13.1 and NSX at 13.2 400m along with various other cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEi-0Rx6J0

This one has the 3rd gen going against the 2nd gen at 13.3 vs 14.2 which in inline with the USDM times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsY8zv_6G3M

I can't find the video with several NSX variations race but 12:08 you can see the regular NSX -13.4 vs NSX Type S -13.07 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrxPyEcfTE
I'm still skeptical with BM's times and there are some discrepancies with measuring acceleration times, if you allow a rollout or not can be a few tenths of a second difference, which is one factor among many for seeing such great 0-60 differences in magazines, which is why I don't put a ton of value into them.

So that 13.3 vs. 14.2 3rd gen vs 2nd gen are both substantially faster than the 14.6 the 2nd Gen did against the 348...

The 348 is usually running in the 14s. That 13.8 is optimistic and the MR2 was a 2nd gen not 3rd going against it. I have a pdf scan of the 348 doing 14.4 against NSX 13.8 and 911 13.8 from AutoCar. Even Supercars.net, a site notorious for using lowest numbers list it at 14.3:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/564.html

http://0-60.reviews/ferrari-0-60/

There was a non-targa NA2 coupe on Car & Driver 7/98 12.9 @ 110 MPH. The 1999 Zanardi was clocked at 13.1 so it's not a stretch. I also remember seeing a 2002+ Targa running low/flat 13 from templeofVTEC I believe...
The 348 in the BM video was 0.5 seconds behind the MR2 at the launch. Since they both crossed the line at 14.6 seconds, the 348 really performed a ~14.1 in that video. I don't put much value into magazine times and i've already been hypocritical in this thread since I don't like bench racing, but I will give it to you a 3rd gen is pretty close to a NA1 NSX in terms of acceleration, but it's suspension is vastly inferior and I still stand by the NSX being faster around a given racetrack, and a 355 (and especially a 360) faster than an NA2 around a racetrack. If you can come up with some MR2's, NSXs, and Ferrari's, I would be more than happy to give each a proper validation to end this question ;)

N Spec, I reckon whatever you do for a living now, you should immediately resign your position and start running Nissan. you seem to know a lot more about producing and marketing their cars than they do.

but as happens so often, before we got off track as we generally do, we were comparing Nissan to Honda. both companies of similar merit...

I never claimed to be smarter than Nissan or their marketing strategy. They seem to be doing just fine with Renault, but recognize the difference between a best seller and quality products. Just because something sells well does not mean it's a very good product. The majority of world has proven to want cheaper things more than sophisticated or well-designed things. So defending a sports car based on it's sales volume can't go but so far in the actual merits and substance of that vehicle.

As far as critiquing goes, the 350Z's success was due to its starting low price and virtually the only 6 cylinder FR coupe sports car from Japan at that time. It was not anything fantastic or even great. Many people have concurred with this. That was my point in the beginning of mentioning it as not being a great successor to the 300ZX (as the Z32 attempted to be "super" or exotic) in response to MoreRPM's claim that Honda was lazy whereas Everyone else was moving forward. Moving forward to what point? Because the Rx8, 350Z, and MR-S were like steps backwards.

as for comparing Honda to Ferrari, I'm comparing their mid-engine competing models (the purpose of this very thread). a company to company discussion is an entirely different thread, however Ferrari seems to be doing just fine in selling every road car they make, regardless of where the engine goes. even considering their extraordinary cost and less reliable reputation and value (in contrast to Honda).

I understand you are comparing the mid-engine aspect, but your retroactive thoughts about "O, Ferrari wouldn't let one their cars go stagnant like the NSX," is irrelevant in a general sense. Honda kept updating their bread and butter cars like the Civic, Accord, CRV, etc. The NSX, while similar to the 458 or 488, is meant to be the flagship for Honda/Acura. Honda has never solely or even partially relied on the sales success of the NSX to survive like Ferrari does for their limited selection of vehicles, because if they did, there would have been more updates and sales of the NSX. Honda builds family cars and even few decades enter the sports car gauntlet.

So unless Honda creates a new sub-brand that specifically caters to sports car only built by Honda, it wouldn't make much logical sense to expect them to update any of their sports cars if they don't feel like it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still skeptical with BM's times and there are some discrepancies with measuring acceleration times, if you allow a rollout or not can be a few tenths of a second difference, which is one factor among many for seeing such great 0-60 differences in magazines, which is why I don't put a ton of value into them.

So that 13.3 vs. 14.2 3rd gen vs 2nd gen are both substantially faster than the 14.6 the 2nd Gen did against the 348...

The 348 in the BM video was 0.5 seconds behind the MR2 at the launch. Since they both crossed the line at 14.6 seconds, the 348 really performed a ~14.1 in that video. I don't put much value into magazine times and i've already been hypocritical in this thread since I don't like bench racing, but I will give it to you a 3rd gen is pretty close to a NA1 NSX in terms of acceleration, but it's suspension is vastly inferior and I still stand by the NSX being faster around a given racetrack, and a 355 (and especially a 360) faster than an NA2 around a racetrack. If you can come up with some MR2's, NSXs, and Ferrari's, I would be more than happy to give each a proper validation to end this question ;)

Stuntman, you actually agree with me more than you disagree. I already said that the NSX in any form will outhandle the MR2. Thanks for conceding that the NA1 and MR2 are close in terms of acceleration. I don't question your assertions that the F355 can outperform the USDM* NA2 on the track ;-) The mythical Type S and Type R NSX from overseas seems to be "better" than the F355 tho haha.

I agree that BM has some questionable videos and it's more for entertainment than absolute validity. There is some level of accuracy (if not the highest) behind the actual performances shown in the videos tho. For some fun, look at this video I found while searching for sources. 458 v F360 vs NSX-R vs ZR-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzAylRPJkI

The results are not unexpected at all, so I don't think there's much propaganda behind the videos. The Drift King's skills couldn't save him much this time!

Just because something sells well does not mean it's a very good product. The majority of world has proven to want cheaper things more than sophisticated or well-designed things. So defending a sports car based on it's sales volume can't go but so far in the actual merits and substance of that vehicle.

As far as critiquing goes, the 350Z's success was due to its starting low price and virtually the only 6 cylinder FR coupe sports car from Japan at that time. It was not anything fantastic or even great. Many people have concurred with this. That was my point in the beginning of mentioning it as not being a great successor to the 300ZX (as the Z32 attempted to be "super" or exotic) in response to MoreRPM's claim that Honda was lazy whereas Everyone else was moving forward. Moving forward to what point? Because the Rx8, 350Z, and MR-S were like steps backwards.

I'm defending the 350Z and G35 because I have personally driven several Z's and owned two G35's myself, personally. I found them to be fantastic products, well designed and sophisticated. in my own experience, I have found these cars to be reliable, comfortable, well engineered and very solid. full of substance if you will? equally adept at smashing corners hard or set on cruise control on a boring 7-hour highway drone. these are my own personal observations. as for the volume of sales, I think those speak for themselves. also remember, I have owned the 300ZX as well. and while I don't personally like the looks of the 350Z, inside or out, it is a far superior automobile to even the Twin Turbo model previous.

I understand you are comparing the mid-engine aspect, but your retroactive thoughts about "O, Ferrari wouldn't let one their cars go stagnant like the NSX," is irrelevant in a general sense. Honda kept updating their bread and butter cars like the Civic, Accord, CRV, etc. The NSX, while similar to the 458 or 488, is meant to be the flagship for Honda/Acura. Honda has never solely or even partially relied on the sales success of the NSX to survive like Ferrari does for their limited selection of vehicles, because if they did, there would have been more updates and sales of the NSX. Honda builds family cars and even few decades enter the sports car gauntlet.

this is why I used Nissan as a comparison to Honda, but you conveniently left that out of your quote. since Nissan makes Sentra's, Maxima's and Pathfinders, etc. they have a flagship too, but exist on selling grocery getters, just like Honda. but unlike Honda, they keep the GTR updated a little more often...

I agree that BM has some questionable videos and it's more for entertainment than absolute validity. There is some level of accuracy (if not the highest) behind the actual performances shown in the videos tho. For some fun, look at this video I found while searching for sources. 458 v F360 vs NSX-R vs ZR-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgzAylRPJkI

The results are not unexpected at all, so I don't think there's much propaganda behind the videos. The Drift King's skills couldn't save him much this time!

"questionable videos" is something i'm sure Stuntman would also agree on. however you can see that it's absolutely not a contest when acceleration is unleashed with the other three cars. and in such low grip conditions as those with snow trackside, the NSX and 370Z should have a lot easier time putting down less horsepower. but in the end, it's inevitable. the NSX-R has no chance...

The 350Z is easily a successor to the 300ZX. Stock for stock, the Z33 is a better package/development with better suspension which is more balanced and easier to drive, plus its ~300lbs lighter than the TT Z32. While close in performance, its also a faster car around a racetrack than a Z32. All of these would be considered an improvement even though the first 350 had less power and was a little slower in a straight line.

I find it interesting in general how people tend to defend their purchases and take negative comments more personally. NSpec: have you owned a 350 or 370? What year NSX?

I too still love the "glory days" of the 1990s sports car wars of the 300ZX, 3000GT/Stealth RT/TT, Supra, FD RX7, NSX, GTR, and would like to have all of them in my garage. While I get your point that many 2000s cars arent as romantic as these, the GTRs and Zs were developed into better cars.

OP, can you revise the thread title to Nissan 300/350/370 - Sports Car Brand Succession Theory 101 - Best Motoring Fact or Fiction? - and Advanced Circular Argument, please?

Thanks! ;)

1993 NA1 dry weight around 2800-2900lbs? 270hp 210 ft/ lbs
1993 JDM MR2 turbo dry weight around 2600lbs? 245hp 225 ft/ lbs

I imagine the times would be pretty close? 1993-1995 motor runs like double the boost than the 1991-1992 3s-gte

OP, can you revise the thread title to Nissan 300/350/370 - Sports Car Brand Succession Theory 101 - Best Motoring Fact or Fiction? - and Advanced Circular Argument, please?

Thanks! ;)

This had me literally laughing out loud nonstop for about a minute...and then on an off for about another 3 minutes.

Just typing this response had me chucking some more.

Today is my Birthday so your timing for this genius was perfect. :)

The 350Z is easily a successor to the 300ZX. Stock for stock, the Z33 is a better package/development with better suspension which is more balanced and easier to drive, plus its ~300lbs lighter than the TT Z32. While close in performance, its also a faster car around a racetrack than a Z32. All of these would be considered an improvement even though the first 350 had less power and was a little slower in a straight line.

This is why I used Nissan as a comparison to Honda, but you conveniently left that out of your quote. since Nissan makes Sentra's, Maxima's and Pathfinders, etc. they have a flagship too, but exist on selling grocery getters, just like Honda. but unlike Honda, they keep the GTR updated a little more often...

FA, I told you I like the G35/G37 better than the 350z as an overall package - the exterior looks better and interior more refined. Unlike you and Stuntman, I look for more than simply performance around a track for a sports car. The 350Z came some 13 years after the Z32, so I would hope they improved suspension and chassis technology by then. The 300ZX was also regarded more GT than sports cars.

Either way, I'm personally looking at the overall package and how a car makes me feel. So exterior and interior design is important to me and many other people who buy sports cars. It's not solely based on track performance for me, that's just one variable whereas you two seem to prioritize that as a very big variable. The 370Z is close to besting the Z32 IMO, with vastly improved performance, but it still does not look all that special even if the interior has also been upgraded nicely.

And like I said FA, Honda has built 2 rwd car models in their whole history. Nissan has a considerable history of building RWD sports cars since the 240Z, Skyline and Silvia, let alone their Infiniti lineup. Where is their Silvia lineup now? Every manufacturer gave up something during the 2000s downfall. The Z badge was never going to fall like the Corvette name considering the countless iterations, but still, it disappeared for 7 years in the US, the country that made the 240Z and Datsun/Nissan famous. So comparing Honda and Nissan is still like apples to oranges. Nissan actually depends on Z car sales for profits and again, Honda does not rely on the NSX for much profit at all.

"questionable videos" is something i'm sure Stuntman would also agree on. however you can see that it's absolutely not a contest when acceleration is unleashed with the other three cars. and in such low grip conditions as those with snow trackside, the NSX and 370Z should have a lot easier time putting down less horsepower. but in the end, it's inevitable. the NSX-R has no chance...

Indeed, the video was fun to watch. The leaps of technology shows how the NSX-R and outclassed 370Z could simply not keep up. It would have made more sense to have the GTR in the battle.

I find it interesting in general how people tend to defend their purchases and take negative comments more personally. NSpec: have you owned a 350 or 370? What year NSX?

I too still love the "glory days" of the 1990s sports car wars of the 300ZX, 3000GT/Stealth RT/TT, Supra, FD RX7, NSX, GTR, and would like to have all of them in my garage. While I get your point that many 2000s cars arent as romantic as these, the GTRs and Zs were developed into better cars.

I've extensively test driven many 350Z variants, the 370Z, G35 and G37. I still remember being extremely frustrated with finding a replacement for my totaled TT 300ZX and the 350Z was not pleasing at all. I was leaning towards the G35 but could not pull the trigger. I considered a brand new G37 before buying my first 95 NSX as the choices were that limited. I now have a 92 GPW NSX and not to get off topic even more, but I'll admit, I am a bit biased towards the 90s JDM sports cars for various reasons:

10948978_734671689985534_25430358_n.jpg

10354571_297243883778090_1607001043_n.jpg

10375884_1443074109277167_659501743_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This had me literally laughing out loud nonstop for about a minute...and then on an off for about another 3 minutes.

Happy Birthday Stephen! And I blame this extreme tangent on MoreRPMs! Haha.

To keep this on Ferrari vs. Honda topic. I consider buying a F355 spider also. I drove my NSX to go test drive one and while it sounded fantastic, I was not impressed with the exterior or interior much with my NSX right beside it. That's just my 2 cents on the 90s Ferraris.

- - - Updated - - -

1993 NA1 dry weight around 2800-2900lbs? 270hp 210 ft/ lbs
1993 JDM MR2 turbo dry weight around 2600lbs? 245hp 225 ft/ lbs

I imagine the times would be pretty close? 1993-1995 motor runs like double the boost than the 1991-1992 3s-gte

The biggest difference was the turbocharger change. The gen3 turbo CT20B holds boost all the way to redline (7250 rpm) and it made much more power than the smaller gen 2 turbo CT26 that ran out of steam at 5,500 rpm. The turbine was ceramic also which aided in fast spool.

Unlike you and Stuntman, I look for more than simply performance around a track for a sports car.

I think performance is usually paramount to the preferences of people purchasing a performance car. the 350Z and G35 are basically (I said basically!) the same car with a different shell. your distaste with the 350 seems very personal based on its looks, and that's fine. I don't like it either. but it's still a better car than the 300Z.

Nissan actually depends on Z car sales for profits and again, Honda does not rely on the NSX for much profit at all.

this part of the conversation should be comparing the GTR to the NSX, flagship model to flagship model.

and now, back to the Ferrari. excuse me while I drool a little bit...

^ I'm still not convinced by the side intake or front bumper, but the rear end does look much better like some have mentioned. Can't wait to see and hear it in action.

^ I'm still not convinced by the side intake or front bumper, but the rear end does look much better like some have mentioned. Can't wait to see and hear it in action.

I agree. The setup of the side intake looks akward...incongrous to the overall design. I like the design of the new NSX better. And I'd imagine the NSX will be quicker off the line.

I'm glad I was able to make you laugh…even better that it was on your birthday. HBD and please sign up for the next class: "Zaino vs. Mobil1 vs. JDM Gears - I forget what we're debating but I'll defend it in perpetuity."

It's a gorgeous car that, I'm sure, will look even better in person. And one good thing about the thread, at the very least, is that we didn't get it locked down. ;)

The biggest difference was the turbocharger change. The gen3 turbo CT20B holds boost all the way to redline (7250 rpm) and it made much more power than the smaller gen 2 turbo CT26 that ran out of steam at 5,500 rpm. The turbine was ceramic also which aided in fast spool.

Like a slap of nostalgia, I miss my old MR2, I had forgotten about finding my used CT20B and how much of a difference it made. Well partly because my CT26 was pooched.

8433830051_large.jpg

8433830062_large.jpg

Last edited:
Like a slap of nostalgia, I miss my old MR2, I had forgotten about finding my used CT20B and how much of a difference it made. Well partly because my CT26 was pooched.

Clean! Koseis? I can't hate on the white on white haha. And the CT20B is much better than any healthy CT26...

when I purchased an MR2 as a teenager, it was in my mind the predecessor to the ultimate goal, buying an NSX when I grew up. it was the poor...err, less wealthy man's mid engine Japanese sports car.

fortunately when I grew up i was able to join the NSX owner's club.

the NSX will always be my absolute favourite motor car, bar none. but the 458 is the new target in the not too distant future. I almost bought a (Fiorano Rosso edition - pictured below) 360 F1 over a year ago in the $90,000 range. what an exotic machine, what a visceral experience. what a looker, what a sound!

- - - Updated - - -

but driving the 430 and 458 quite a bit before ever driving a 360 with the F1 box was a huge mistake. because that tranny was absolute shit in comparison. in the end I decided I preferred the rarity of the 2002+ NSX (everyone in L.A. either has a Ferrari or a Prius, I think you get your choice of either when you get a driver's license?). after my search for a '02+ lingered on a while, I almost picked up a v8 Audi R8, in my opinion another awesome machine. 430 horsepower is 140 and 30 horsepower more than the NSX or 360 respectively. and having spent a lot of seat time in that model also, I'm a fan of the German. fortunately an Imola was brought to my attention soon after and I'm happiest to have it over any of the aforementioned cars.

depending on how big of an improvement this 488 is, it may become the new target. how Ferrari can improve on the 458 is beyond me. the base model car is astoundingly good, absolute perfection, the Speciale is legendary. It can lap within 2 seconds of the 918 despite having 1/3 less thrust. that's absolutely ridiculous. and for the price conscious, it's another 1/3 cheaper than the power deficit. while I love the NSX, and I don't plan to ever part with this one, there is nothing like a Ferrari. I'm massively excited to see what this 488 can do...

Last edited:
when I purchased an MR2 as a teenager, it was in my mind the predecessor to the ultimate goal, buying an NSX when I grew up. it was the poor...err, less wealthy man's mid engine Japanese sports car.

fortunately when I grew up i was able to join the NSX owner's club.

the NSX will always be my absolute favourite motor car, bar none. but the 458 is the new target in the not too distant future. I can afford and almost bought a Fiorano Rosso 360 F1 over a year ago in the $90,000 range. what an exotic machine, what a visceral experience. what a looker, what a sound!

- - - Updated - - -

but driving the 430 and 458 quite a bit before ever driving a 360 with the F1 box was a huge mistake. because that tranny was absolute shit in comparison. in the end I decided I preferred the rarity of the 2002+ NSX (everyone in L.A. either has a Ferrari or a Prius, I think you get your choice of either when you get a driver's license?). after my search for a '02+ lingered on a while, I almost picked up a v8 Audi R8, in my opinion another awesome machine. 430 horsepower is 140 and 30 horsepower more than the NSX or 360 respectively. and having spent a lot of seat time in that model also, I'm a fan of the German. fortunately an Imola was brought to my attention soon after and I'm happiest to have it over any of the aforementioned cars.

depending on how big of an improvement this 488 is, it may become the new target. how Ferrari can improve on the 458 is beyond me. the base model car is astoundingly good, absolute perfection, the Speciale is legendary. It can lap within 2 seconds of the 918 despite having 1/3 less thrust. that's absolutely ridiculous. and for the price conscious, it's another 1/3 cheaper than the power deficit. while I love the NSX, and I don't plan to ever part with this one, there is nothing like a Ferrari. I'm massively excited to see what this 488 can do...

I've with you in that endeavor. I would like to own a 458 or maybe 488 in the future also as much as much I would like to own the new NSX. The 458 has been the definitive Ferrari for me. It's on my bucket list for sure... Maybe in another decade or so for me :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

And actually, I would like to obtain an 02+ NSX in Imola also but the odds are very low so GPW or Red on Black and hopefully that will be my ultimate first gen NSX.

The 458 is/was an awesome car - some say the best Fezza to date. I'm sure 488 will be even better. But for me, I can't get rid of my affection for the 288 GTO. Actually, an F40 or a 512 BB would come before the 458.

the 288 GTO and F40 are classics, legendary. the 458 is immeasurably better in every way, but my favourite Ferrari of all time is the 1974 Dino 246 GTS...

Last edited:
I used to think of the 328 as the "ultimate" Ferrari shape, but lately I've been very partial to the 360. I know the 458 is technically a better car, but I'd love a 360 with a manual. I think 360's are about at the bottom of their depreciation curve, but when it came right down to it, I felt much more comfortable in the NSX.

Last edited:
by the looks of things 360's have started to go back the other way and appreciate lately. however it seems all Ferrari's are appreciating, from 328's to Testarossa's.

the 360 was the first Ferrari to get a lot more reliable with much longer service intervals. all in complete thanks to the NSX...

Happy Birthday Stephen! And I blame this extreme tangent on MoreRPMs! Haha.

Thanks Dude!!! And this little excursion of a tangent was really the icing on the cake!

- - - Updated - - -

Ferrari? Oh yeah I forgot about them. I hear they are coming out with a new model.

Back