• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Ferrari 488 GTB Raises the Bar Again

Gorgeous - and likely over double the price of the NSX, IF your local Ferrari dealer is kind enough to consider taking your money as a first time customer!

The 488 to be released this year the new NSX will be benchmarked against a superseded model that's what happens when you take 3+yrs to go to market.

You do realize that 3+ years to market is actually very good for a new car and that this process and schedule is same for every manufacturer, right?

I don't understand this bitchfest over Honda taking time (3 years) to research, design, plan, and build a brand new NSX that is this good: twin turbo, hybrid motor integration, SH-AWD, longitudinal engine (change done in 18 months), big 'ole brakes, and a beautiful interior. Should they design the NSX for Ferraris that aren't even in the idea stage yet? Sheesh.

It's delusional to think that the NSX team didn't see this coming and allow for it. Heck, that's part of the reason why they haven't announced final power figures for the NSX yet.

You do realize that 3+ years to market is actually very good for a new car and that this process and schedule is same for every manufacturer, right?

I don't understand this bitchfest over Honda taking time (3 years) to research, design, plan, and build a brand new NSX that is this good: twin turbo, hybrid motor integration, SH-AWD, longitudinal engine (change done in 18 months), big 'ole brakes, and a beautiful interior. Should they design the NSX for Ferraris that aren't even in the idea stage yet? Sheesh.

Agreed. The C7 Corvette was in development for nearly SIX years. So, three years is nothing.

I really like the design of that 488GTB. I love the new NSX and want to be loyal to Honda but if I have the money, and just by the looks, I will go for the 488GTB or Aventador. I know...., they are more expensive.

Hopefully, 2nd and 3rd iterations of the new NSX will have an option for twin turbo V8. There is no replacement for displacement, and you just need it to compete with these bad boys now.
Most engine manufacturers are keeping the weight of these things manageable, so I still think the wave of the future is V8 and not V6. Lambos with their V10 and V12 are bulky, big, heavy and unnecessary.

I don't understand this bitchfest over Honda taking time (3 years) to research, design, plan, and build a brand new NSX...
Probably because they've been pissing around for a decade now since 1.0 ceased production. Nevermind the fact that that model should've had a replacement, at most, 10 or 12 years into its cycle.

I mean, out of every sports car out there I can't think of another that took so long for the introduction to its successor. It'll be 25 years (or longer) from when the '91 went on sale to the time 2.0 hits the showrooms!

blooooooody hell! considering how incredible the current 458 is, not even including the Speciale in this statement, I just don't see anything keeping pace with that. God must be Italian...

I prefer the refined/minimal details of the original 458 over the afterthought of the large side intakes and new front bumper of this 488. At first glance, I thought it was a magazine's photoshop guess.

I am excited to hear how it sounds and witness the performance. Peak hp at 8000 rpm translates to 8.5K or 8.2K redline?

the 458 is an incredibly elegant car. the 488 looks like it just got pumped up on steroids, which it did with a couple of turbo chargers. this car should be as mental as it looks. can't wait to hear how it sounds myself, I'm quite curious as to if it will retain it's screaming V8 sound...

Last edited:
I mean, out of every sports car out there I can't think of another that took so long for the introduction to its successor.

Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, 3000GT, MR-2, Espirit…the list goes on.

Makes me almost wish Honda gave it differing nomenclature so incessant whining would stop. But then the same people would whine that they didn't call it an NSX. :shrug:

Makes me almost wish Honda gave it differing nomenclature so incessant whining would stop. But then the same people would whine that they didn't call it an NSX. :shrug:

Precisely. No one is really familiar with history at all. It was almost a miracle the first gen NSX lasted as long as it did.

I know I might get accused of being a bit biased, but i like the NSX better. I don't care for the longer front overhang with the super short rear and it looks chopped up a bit on the side. Don't get me wrong, it is cool and even beautiful from some angles but if we can get past the fact that its the new Ferrari, I think we might see some of the flaws.

With those huge side scoops, I wonder what Mr. Cumberford would say?

Oh yeah, I forgot, he's under the spell too.

Last edited:
Mitsu & Lotus are in total disarray, so cross them off. Also, one can argue the 3000 was never a true sportscar as it weighed 4000 pounds and shared its platform with a sedan.

The Nissan, using your logic, that means there was no successor to the 240z, or 280z; surely you must know that after the '96 model year the car had a successor not 7 years later.

MR-2 had the MR-S about 5 years after it went out of production. And nevermind that Toyota more than made up for not making a successor to the mid-engined mediocrity with the introduction of LFA. Which, one could also argue that by doing so also acts as a replacement for the Supra (which happened to also have been built off a sedan platform, although it weighed several hundreds pounds less than the Mitsu, but was still a porker).

The RX-7 was last seen as a '95 here in the states (although it ran through '02 in its home market). And thanks to majority ownership by Ford we were given a 4-seater, not-quite-the-pure-sportscar-as-the-7, but still powered by a rotary.

To maybe restate myself -- is there another company with the capital of Honda that initially made a hell of a car/statement, rested on its laurels for a decade and a half, then waited another 10 years to bring another to market? I don't think so.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on some of these. the Supra doesn't have a current successor, nor the MR2, 3000GT or Esprit. although the Esprit did get quite a few changes in it's time. adding a turbo, adding an intercooler and subsequent bigger Turbo in the SE, to the S4, to the V8 twin turbo, there were quite a few iterations of that car. and each time it gained a sizable amount of horsepower.

the 3000GT was always the same car, and the MR2 had three very distinct models running consecutively from start to finish of its production run. the RX-7 was still being produced until 2002, and the RX-8 actually came on the scene in 2003. the 300ZX to the 350Z was a 9 year gap I believe, that's probably your closest comparison with the NSX successor..

I think people are warranted to complain about the amount of time the NSX was left out to pasture. literally and figuratively...

- - - Updated - - -

It was almost a miracle the first gen NSX lasted as long as it did.

I'd have to agree with some of the others in that it shouldn't have lasted that long without some major updates. and not just a 20 hp boost...

Mitsu & Lotus are in total disarray, so cross them off. Also, one can argue the 3000 was never a true sportscar as it weighed 4000 pounds and shared its platform with a sedan.

The Nissan, using your logic, that means there was no successor to the 240z, or 280z; surely you must know that after the '96 model year the car had a successor not 7 years later.

MR-2 had the MR-S about 5 years after it went out of production. And nevermind that Toyota more than made up for not making a successor to the mid-engined mediocrity with the introduction of LFA. Which, one could also argue that by doing so also acts as a replacement for the Supra (which happened to also have been built off a sedan platform, although it weighed several hundreds pounds less than the Mitsu, but was still a porker).

The RX-7 was last seen as a '95 here in the states (although it ran through '02 in its home market). And thanks to majority ownership by Ford we were given a 4-seater, not-quite-the-pure-sportscar-as-the-7, but still powered by a rotary.

To maybe restate myself -- is there another company with the capital of Honda that initially made a hell of a car/statement, rested on its laurels for a decade and a half, then waited another 10 years to bring another to market? I don't think so.

I feel like an old history teacher repeating myself. 20K units was contracted for the NSX. It took 15 years to reach this global goal because the 90s was a rough time for Japanese "supercars" and sports cars in general. Had they sold the 20K units in 7-8 years as originally thought, the NSX would have had a proper evolution. This is why the NSX received slow updates whereas the likes Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota totally gave up mid 90s in 96-97. Atleast the NSX got refreshes whereas sports cars from the other big 3 and then some ceased to exist.

So please stop whining about history, it's in the past and can't be changed.

Get more people to want sports cars and manual gear boxes if you want those kind of choices for sports cars. Just be happy automakers are actually aren't petrified to make sports cars in the foreseeable future like they have been.

Luckily the new Acura car has turbos this time so they can actually stay relevant in the power arena this time. They ALMOST made the same mistake as last time which I think would have been hilarious bc they almost deserve it for their sacrilege. This ferrari looks killer IMO- I didn't like the 458 all that much (though it was well received). Plus turbos now... Oh la la Ferrari does it again.

You asked for sports cars that took a long time for a successor. I gave you sports cars that still don't have successors. So logically, the mere introduction of a new NSX would get you hot and bothered…nope.

I'm not sure I'd agree with you on some of these…I think people are warranted to complain about the amount of time the NSX was left out to pasture. literally and figuratively...

See above. I think people will whine on just about anything possible. You can't even agree on sports cars that have taken a while for a successor…or even without a successor. Ridiculous.

Honda didn't make new nsx , people bitch.
Honda makes new nsx, people bitch.
Ferrari makes new 458, people bitch on Honda.
It's a bitching world we live in.

Well, to be fair: the new NSX took a little bit more than three years if you take into account the previous prototypes but I don't know if they took over some technology of them.

It's really funny to see that with every new Ferrari that it has to be a successor of the previous model. Now, the value of the 430 and 458 are going down to hell. 355 and 360 are already down there and wait for a buyer like on a big junkyard. Product differentiation is not their strength.

It's not a downside, not at all, it's a plus to have 25 years between two models. This preserves the first model some time on it's way to the happy hunting ground. :) I guess prices (in the US) won't go down for the 1st gen if the 2nd def. appears.

Back