• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX a go..?

Honda isnt going to make the HSV a 370z competitor. They might have a honda badged, less powerful and reskinned version on the same platform to compete with the likes of the Z........but they keep screaming "tier 1" luxury for Acura. Thats why they need a much more powerful, more exclusive car that competes with ferraris, lambos and porsches not to mention their crosstown rivals, LFA and GTR.
Im pretty sure GTR and LFA are all sold at a loss considering the technology that went in to them but it keeps their manufacturers relevant especially in the sports car world. You cant use profitability as a baseline when thinking of the aforementioned cars.........thats why we have accords, altimas and camrys.....those cars pay the bills!

That's what I always thought as well. Unless you're Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo sportscars are a loss but more of a showcase of your technologies. Honda currently has all it's tech in it's low models. I'm mean the RL is the flagship but SHAWD is on several lower priced models. The ZDX doesn't have any tech you can't get on the MDX.

The HSV from all the information Honda was giving us on it was their technological "Tour De Force". The body itself was everything they learned from F1. It wasn't just a bad move for enthusiasts it really was a blow for Hondas image. They don't seem "advanced". "Smart luxury" seems like a cope out or an "oh sh*t". Everyone else was able to go ahead with all their plans and are still in business whereas Honda just cut back on everything and seemed to just throw up their hands.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad they were able to weather the storm that most were saying would be a catastrophe but it's really disappointing to look at the current C&D and not one future car from Honda is on the list for enthusiast to wait for:redface:

Screw Honda, we got the NSX already, that's the best car they ever made, they will never do anything like it again, game over, all we need it's an R8 or a 360CS .. or anything else that has BALLS and looks good as our NSX's ... again, screw Honda, they are done with us, we are done with them, period.

Oscar

PS: Sorry, this is a rant @ Honda .....

I feel all your pain. I work for Honda and there is nothing that they currently sell or plan on introducing in the near future that excites me. CRZ? thats a poor excuse for a sports car.....i doubt we'll sell any.
Meanwhile, NSXs just became more affordable to me so im going to be in the market soon! After all these years i still get the same great feeling everytime im in the presence of an NSX. You guys own a legend in its own right and i dont see Honda/Acura ever building anything that could make us forsake this car.

I feel all your pain. I work for Honda and there is nothing that they currently sell or plan on introducing in the near future that excites me. CRZ? thats a poor excuse for a sports car.....i doubt we'll sell any.
Meanwhile, NSXs just became more affordable to me so im going to be in the market soon! After all these years i still get the same great feeling everytime im in the presence of an NSX. You guys own a legend in its own right and i dont see Honda/Acura ever building anything that could make us forsake this car.

Agreed! Not being negative or anything but there is nothing in the pipeline. The HSV was it and Ito is in for another four years. If the next president is an enthusiast and moves to develop something much like Fuqui did with the HSV we've got a good 10+ years from now ( including development time ) before anything comes out.

Honda also is killing the Civic Type R in Japan so expect more of the same as far as no products for enthusiasts beyond the Fit Sport. Yep the Fit Sport. Accord coupe gets good numbers though so I guess we can include that.

I think the "next" NSX has a lot more riding on it than engine placement and horsepower. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Let's not forget the high standards set for the original NSX....comfortable, ergonomic, reliability and performance. Yes, Honda wants another "zinger" to stirr up the automotive community. <O:p</O:p
Since the unveiling of the first NSX, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and countless others have all accomplished these things and produced astonishingly good cars. <O:p</O:p
What bar does Honda have left to raise with the new NSX? <O:p</O:p
Hybrid power is the biggest scam of our lifetime. We all know at the end of the day the gains are too small and the cost is too high. Electric power has yet to catch on and automakers haven't put the effort into hydrogen that it deserves. <O:p</O:p
The GTR, Lexus and even the Evo and WRX have enough performance and ergonomic appeal to make the success of a new NSX questionable. At the end of the day, that's what Honda is worried about: Investing a billion dollars into a new sports car that sells as poorly as its predecessor. <O:p</O:p

I don't know about that. I have a Honda Insight and have averaged 62.2 mpg over 60K miles. Do the math and you'll see I've used about 1,000 gallons over the life of the car. At an average cost of $3.00 per gallon, that's about $3000 I've spent on fuel since I bought it in 2005. Apply those figures to a 30 mpg Mini, for example, and you'll see I've saved a bunch of money.

Or, just look at the hybrid Porsche Spyder.

Think of what a milestone the original NSX was.
The next NSX would have to be Carbon fibre and hybrid and ? to match the original's stratospheric standards.
Porsche stole the mold with the 918.

A front engined V-8 or V-10 ?
I'm going to puke.
They say you cant go back;
And with the NSX it's true.
Enjoy what you have.

Last edited:
So....they're riding the NSX name plate again?

Personally a V8 with 500HP is good, however with two conditions;

1. Don't call it an NSX, call it the SSX, GTSX..etc

2. Don't price it and sell it like the LFA - Price it in the rhelm of 150 - 200k (if it's as good as the LFA, Gallardo and 430 are supposed to be). That way, you get the Acura reliability without the Lexus, Ferrari or Lamborghini premium (granted the latter two give you a bit of a better status thing) and you still get performance that can keep up.

The NSX short of 1000HP and the reliability/drivability and balance it was originally built with isn't going to be as ground breaking as the last. Many can daily drive their Ferrari or Lamborghini without worrying about breaking things...especially with Audi backing Lamborghini...

Plus the Next true NSX is already here...it's called the Evora.

Agreed! Not being negative or anything but there is nothing in the pipeline. The HSV was it and Ito is in for another four years. If the next president is an enthusiast and moves to develop something much like Fuqui did with the HSV we've got a good 10+ years from now ( including development time ) before anything comes out.

Honda also is killing the Civic Type R in Japan so expect more of the same as far as no products for enthusiasts beyond the Fit Sport. Yep the Fit Sport. Accord coupe gets good numbers though so I guess we can include that.

I agree, Perry. I don't see them making anything for a while. Honda's best chance was to continue the existing NSX production in MY2006 with a "NA3" refresh. That means to me: modern brakes, revised ABS with VSA, updated interior with sound system/navi and an engine update. In my mind, they had two choices: (1) factory-stroke the C32 to 3.6L by going from 78mm to 88mm; or (2) tweak the J35 with DOHC and Ti internals for 8000rpm operation. I think they could have continued selling ~500 cars per year no problem.

Second best chance was a more extensive refresh using the HSC as a base (aka the Honcho/WingZ NSX rescue plan).

Neither one of those chances happened, so we're stuck with the Fit Sport.

I agree, Perry. I don't see them making anything for a while. Honda's best chance was to continue the existing NSX production in MY2006 with a "NA3" refresh. That means to me: modern brakes, revised ABS with VSA, updated interior with sound system/navi and an engine update. In my mind, they had two choices: (1) factory-stroke the C32 to 3.6L by going from 78mm to 88mm; or (2) tweak the J35 with DOHC and Ti internals for 8000rpm operation. I think they could have continued selling ~500 cars per year no problem.

Second best chance was a more extensive refresh using the HSC as a base (aka the Honcho/WingZ NSX rescue plan).

totally agreed...

So....they're riding the NSX name plate again?

Personally a V8 with 500HP is good, however with two conditions;

1. Don't call it an NSX, call it the SSX, GTSX..etc

2. Don't price it and sell it like the LFA - Price it in the rhelm of 150 - 200k (if it's as good as the LFA, Gallardo and 430 are supposed to be). That way, you get the Acura reliability without the Lexus, Ferrari or Lamborghini premium (granted the latter two give you a bit of a better status thing) and you still get performance that can keep up.

The NSX short of 1000HP and the reliability/drivability and balance it was originally built with isn't going to be as ground breaking as the last. Many can daily drive their Ferrari or Lamborghini without worrying about breaking things...especially with Audi backing Lamborghini...

Plus the Next true NSX is already here...it's called the Evora.

They weren't going to call it the NSX. Funny the R8 and the Evora are the new NSX. Your giving the Evore high praise indeed especially for a car with a Camry engine that meets the same specs as a car that came out 1990.

Dude this is totally what Toyota did when they whittled down to the Celica GTS to the Celica GT being the sportiest model. Honda has followed the same plan. But whereas Toyota met the the Euro's on a platform to platform level Honda will only match on mid level not high. Seems as though they decided to accept second class status and just be the best second best they can be.

The new "Smart Luxury" is since people perceived Acura as near or entry level luxury due to lower prices they've decided to accept that instead of trying to push higher and just "spin it" .... sad

Also I thought there was an engine ( the one that was powering the HSC ) called the C36 that was to be used as replacement:confused:

I actually found out that the J series is maxed and they plan on releasing a new engine soon so our project is a no go:frown:

Finally not sure how long there'll be a Sport Fit at this rate and I really don't believe that we'll see an "Si" version of the next Civic.

Have to agree the Audi R8 or the Gallardo is what the next NSX should have been.

They could have dropped jon martins 3.8L stroker in the latest NSX or NA3 and that would have been cool....C38....awww yeah.

We need to let go of the whole "not mid-engined, not an NSX mantra". Everyone acknowledges that. I for one, would love to see a great Honda sports car hit the streets regardless of its layout.

We need to let go of the whole "not mid-engined, not an NSX mantra". Everyone acknowledges that. I for one, would love to see a great Honda sports car hit the streets regardless of its layout.

1. Honda enthusiasts never let anything go ..lol

2. Ito's perfect sportscar will be hitting the streets soon but until then
Honda says ( see image )

Attachments

• cw_hondafit.7qcppskqsccg8c40csskk0ogo.744udiu1mgw008ocgk8gg8o8k.th.jpg
    cw_hondafit.7qcppskqsccg8c40csskk0ogo.744udiu1mgw008ocgk8gg8o8k.th.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 93
They weren't going to call it the NSX. Funny the R8 and the Evora are the new NSX. Your giving the Evore high praise indeed especially for a car with a Camry engine that meets the same specs as a car that came out 1990.

It's name keeps changing though, I think HSC then it never had a name...I don't remember.

I use the Evora because it does meet the same specs...a new NSX should probably go higher up on the food chain, but at where we are and how the NSX left, it's now just an Evora. That was my point really, in 15 years it didn't change too much, why start now ;)

I agree with Sean though, we really should let go of the mid-engined thing. I'd settle with a TSX coupe (30k price) and a coupe in the 75k price range.

Hell no, mid-engined or bust!

It's name keeps changing though, I think HSC then it never had a name...I don't remember.

I agree with Sean though, we really should let go of the mid-engined thing. I'd settle with a TSX coupe (30k price) and a coupe in the 75k price range.

The name keeps changing because they keep changing cars. HSC, ASCC, NSX/S2k mule, HSV, they have all been different cars.

I use the Evora because it does meet the same specs...a new NSX should probably go higher up on the food chain, but at where we are and how the NSX left, it's now just an Evora. That was my point really, in 15 years it didn't change too much, why start now ;)

Actually no it doesn't. The HSC was the concept for the next gen NSX. Had it ever been made it would've been an NSX much like the 996 became the 997 for example. The ASCC was a concept to show what direction Honda was heading in. The HSV would have been the final name for that concept and although it didn't go into production it is an actual vehicle and we see it being raced in Japan.

Eh it doesn't matter Honda fans complain no matter what position it's in and now we'll have nothing from Honda since they never got any support from their fan base and they would lose money on whatever they put out they've thrown in the towel using a myriad of benign excuses saying "green this and green that". The sportiest thing you'll be able to get from Honda will be either the Fit sport or the TL SHAWD six speed manual. That TL model will be gone pretty soon as Honda's Championship is now Toyota beige ... Honda now equals YAWN.

Correct. The sportiest thing they have now is the TL SHAWD 6 SPD, or maybe an accord V6 coupe 6SPD. Otherwise, everything else is basically vanilla.

Correct. The sportiest thing they have now is the TL SHAWD 6 SPD, or maybe an accord V6 coupe 6SPD. Otherwise, everything else is basically vanilla.

Have you driven it yet? Still shocked that Honda beat back the Germans 335i/535i manuals with that one. Oh well one last hurrah before they go completely old Toyota uh I mean Vanilla:biggrin:

Have you driven it yet? Still shocked that Honda beat back the Germans 335i/535i manuals with that one. Oh well one last hurrah before they go completely old Toyota uh I mean Vanilla:biggrin:

Havent had a chance to drive the new 6MT TL SHAWD as yet but i heard its a blast! It beat the S4, 335,535 and G37s around willow springs i think it was. Hopefully they come out with a type-S with the same drivetrain and more power with the brembos to go along!

Havent had a chance to drive the new 6MT TL SHAWD as yet but i heard its a blast! It beat the S4, 335,535 and G37s around willow springs i think it was. Hopefully they come out with a type-S with the same drivetrain and more power with the brembos to go along!

I personally like the 2004-2008 TL's the best....actually the 2007-08 type-s model is my fav.

It did not beat the S4... what are you smoking? :smile:

...and btw, having driven the new TL.. all I can say is yikes. Honda/Acura, get your shit together. You're not even in the same league anymore. I WANTED to buy a new TL SHAWD... I'd be an idiot to not take the S4 over it, which is why I ended up with one.

Last edited:

No actually it didn't but it did beat the 335i
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/four-door-firepower

A Type S on the new car would be AWESOME but I doubt we'll see anything like that under Ito

...and btw, having driven the new TL.. all I can say is yikes. Honda/Acura, get your shit together. You're not even in the same league anymore. I WANTED to buy a new TL SHAWD... I'd be an idiot to not take the S4 over it, which is why I ended up with one.

Not an Idiot just rich ..lol

Honda actually does have it's sh*t together as for Audi to beat the TL 6spd you have to spend $20k over the TL. Base S4 will not beat the the TL on a track and SHAWD is superior to the regular AWD. Audi makes you get their new "trick" differential to get maximum performance and that's an option just like the "sport package". Just those two puts you at $50k then your going to want leather HID's and some features putting you at basically $60k before tax. Which is again $20k more than a TL 6spd.

Audi pulled a fast one with that car by giving it a "low" base price so it can be compared to the 335i instead of the M3. Yet the same car with any decent equipment becomes priced comparably to the M3. Why buy an S4 over the M3 with your loot is what I can't figure out Doc ..lol

Sorry to dissapoint Doc but i wasnt under the influence that night at least! Heres the article:
http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2010-acura-tl-sh-awd-6mt-first-drive.html

In your defense it was the old body S4 because the new one wasnt out as yet. I dont think the S4 is worth 20k more than the 6MT TL but if i was spending that kind of money i'd get an M3.

This thread started about the HSV potentially being released and we have ended up talking about the Fit Sport and TL. :frown: *sigh* This is the state of things at Honda.

This thread started about the HSV potentially being released and we have ended up talking about the Fit Sport and TL. :frown: *sigh* This is the state of things at Honda.

Tisk tisk:frown:

Back