• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX a go..?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/29/rumormill-honda-to-build-road-going-hsv-010-next-year-pigs-to/

Straight out of the Snowball's Chance and Swine Aeronautics department comes a report from Autobild that says the Honda HSV-010 is headed for production next year.

Why are we so skeptical? Aside from the fact that taking the HSV from the tracks of Japan to the streets of tomorrow would be a task of epic proportions, the last time we talked about the GT500 racer with Honda's high performance team they began tearing up about the NSX successor's stillborn status.

Regardless, ze German rag reports that the HSV-010 will undergo a slight makeover in the transition from race car to road car, with a slightly narrower track, more sculpted sides and the removal of the Cessna-sized rear wing.

A V8 will supposedly still be nestled up front, but instead of the SuperGT car's 3.4-liter V8, a 500+ horsepower 5.0-liter will take its place.

So, is the Lexus LFA finally going to get a worthy competitor from it's cross-town rivals? We'll continue our regularly scheduled breathing regime until we get an official word from Honda, but the possibility of an NSX revival – for real this time – has us panting a little bit harder.

Now that you've got us all excited .............................................? :frown:

500hp+ V8. Me like. Were do I sign:biggrin:

so when you guys all get this next year, think anyone would want to donate me their nsx?? haha

just kidding

but that will be sweet. nissan lexus is gonna have some real competition now.

anyone else bet that this will be shot down within a week??

Gentlemen. Nothing will come of this ito said so himself. Besides the car was taken apart as was the team that built it. The engine was scrapped as well. Do they really think Honda is gonna whip up a production engine in a year??

What Perry said. If there is a new Honda sports car, it will have a V6 and be "green."

The engine is in the wrong place. Not really a NSX with that layout.

The engine is in the wrong place. Not really a NSX with that layout.

I know what you mean and I for one feel cheated or stabbed in the back - I just can't believe they left the mid engine - what are they thinkin!!!!!

I just read in my R&T today about the new C7 coming - ok - they said that if they hadn't been in Chapter 11 they were going MID ENGINE!!!!! Can you believe it - A Corvette with a mid engine - a complete departure from their roots and so what does Honda do - geez - and look at the LFA or the GTR - I mean what the heck is going on.

Acura sets the pace in 91 - well there have been other mid engine designs - like F cars for one - Lotus Evora - for another - now Corvette coming along and not to mention the R8 - and Honda comes up with this stuff.

I DON"T GET IT and frankly - I'm really disappointed - it seems like they have let all of us Primers and NSX owner/appreciators down - BIG TIME! :rolleyes:

I think the "next" NSX has a lot more riding on it than engine placement and horsepower. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Let's not forget the high standards set for the original NSX....comfortable, ergonomic, reliability and performance. Yes, Honda wants another "zinger" to stirr up the automotive community. <O:p</O:p
Since the unveiling of the first NSX, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and countless others have all accomplished these things and produced astonishingly good cars. <O:p</O:p
What bar does Honda have left to raise with the new NSX? <O:p</O:p
Hybrid power is the biggest scam of our lifetime. We all know at the end of the day the gains are too small and the cost is too high. Electric power has yet to catch on and automakers haven't put the effort into hydrogen that it deserves. <O:p</O:p
The GTR, Lexus and even the Evo and WRX have enough performance and ergonomic appeal to make the success of a new NSX questionable. At the end of the day, that's what Honda is worried about: Investing a billion dollars into a new sports car that sells as poorly as its predecessor. <O:p</O:p

Yeah, and who would want a Honda sportscar with decent mileage from a V6?!?

:wink:

Sigh ...what's really sad is had Fukui not listened to public opinion that the HSC was "under powered" it would've fit right in and excelled in this market. Honda stop listening to the public and Honda enthusiasts.

Honda fans screamed that the HSV was blasphemy now they're screaming build it.

Sochiro/Honda didn't follow public opinion and we got the NSX.

I think the "next" NSX has a lot more riding on it than engine placement and horsepower. <O:p</O:p
Let's not forget the high standards set for the original NSX....comfortable, ergonomic, reliability and performance. Yes, Honda wants another "zinger" to stirr up the automotive community. <O:p</O:p
Since the unveiling of the first NSX, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and countless others have all accomplished these things and produced astonishingly good cars. <O:p</O:p
What bar does Honda have left to raise with the new NSX? <O:p</O:p
Hybrid power is the biggest scam of our lifetime. We all know at the end of the day the gains are too small and the cost is too high. Electric power has yet to catch on and automakers haven't put the effort into hydrogen that it deserves. <O:p</O:p
The GTR, Lexus and even the Evo and WRX have enough performance and ergonomic appeal to make the success of a new NSX questionable. At the end of the day, that's what Honda is worried about: Investing a billion dollars into a new sports car that sells as poorly as its predecessor. <O:p</O:p

NSX technology trickled down nicely but it became a curse in that everyone thinks the next NSX has to out do everything. The original NSX didn't. The Lotus Espirit and ZR1 both out performed it. The V10 HSV would've been great but no one would listen except Honda to public opinion.

GTR is great press as was the NSX. Lexus is losing money on every LFA just like the NSX did. Evo and WRX are relatable nowadays against 20yr old NSX the same way it's comparable to old 911's and Ferrari's. Would you relate an EVO or WRX to GTR or LFA:confused: They really are econobox's with race parts. Of course they're pretty expensive nowadays ..lol

<O:p</O:pHybrid power is the biggest scam of our lifetime. We all know at the end of the day the gains are too small and the cost is too high. Electric power has yet to catch on and automakers haven't put the effort into hydrogen that it deserves. <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

I don't know about that. I have a Honda Insight and have averaged 62.2 mpg over 60K miles. Do the math and you'll see I've used about 1,000 gallons over the life of the car. At an average cost of $3.00 per gallon, that's about $3000 I've spent on fuel since I bought it in 2005. Apply those figures to a 30 mpg Mini, for example, and you'll see I've saved a bunch of money.

Or, just look at the hybrid Porsche Spyder.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133527&highlight=hybrid+spyder

Last edited:
MakeMineRed - makes a few good points but at the end of the day - one of the things you will note about Porsche is - "ADVERTISING" - not with Lambo or Ferrari - but then they sell out thier limited production almost immediately and they always get tons of free pub by the magazine dudes. But for serious manufacturers that rely on numbers of production models to make a living - Porsche advertises their "hot cars" with great slogans and quite frequently in all the right places - what the heck did Honda/Acura do for it's own sake in so far as advertising goes. I mean anyone out there just looking at magazines almost forgot that Acura sold the NSX before it stopped producing it - it was the most rediculous and detremental affect on an automobile I've ever seen. It's almost like they didn't want to advertise it or do well with the car - trying to find a reason to STOP production rather than carrying it forward and really improving the machine. It has to be one of the saddest chapters in automotive history imho. So guys this new Honda sports car may have an alterior motive - as racing GT. I don't know but it seems a bit ass backward for a company like Honda to go at production like this which is mainly a mainstream company that also, every once in a while comes up with a fun ride.

Toyota with their new hot wheels program - if it gets going - is gonna blast the rest of the Japanese manufacturers out of the water - maybe Nissan will follow some kind of way with their NIZMO stuff - who knows.

I don't understand Honda at all?????? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I heard a rumor that the "new NSX" is not going to be anywhere close to a NSX, it will be a Nissan 370z competitor that will look and cost around the same.

I truly believe if they came out with a midmounted jseries motor at 4.0L putting out 350hp and getting 25/30mpg and combined with their AWD system and clad "again" in Aluminum they would have a STRONG win on their hands. Is it a true "exotic", no...but a sports car they can sell, yes.

Think HSC with the above powertrain...then going FI. cool would be an understatement.

Great insight!

Sigh ...what's really sad is had Fukui not listened to public opinion that the HSC was "under powered" it would've fit right in and excelled in this market. Honda stop listening to the public and Honda enthusiasts.

Honda fans screamed that the HSV was blasphemy now they're screaming build it.

Sochiro/Honda didn't follow public opinion and we got the NSX.

Honda isnt going to make the HSV a 370z competitor. They might have a honda badged, less powerful and reskinned version on the same platform to compete with the likes of the Z........but they keep screaming "tier 1" luxury for Acura. Thats why they need a much more powerful, more exclusive car that competes with ferraris, lambos and porsches not to mention their crosstown rivals, LFA and GTR.
Im pretty sure GTR and LFA are all sold at a loss considering the technology that went in to them but it keeps their manufacturers relevant especially in the sports car world. You cant use profitability as a baseline when thinking of the aforementioned cars.........thats why we have accords, altimas and camrys.....those cars pay the bills!

They are thinking, "Gee, we really want to race in the SuperGTseries, but they are mandating that ALL cars be FR."

Aren't there Porsche's and Ferrari's raced in SuperGT?? The Porsches are rear-engined, I'm not sure which Ferrari is being raced, but most of them are mid-engined.

Aren't there Porsche's and Ferrari's raced in SuperGT?? The Porsches are rear-engined, I'm not sure which Ferrari is being raced, but most of them are mid-engined.

Actually only one model of Ferrari is mid engine. Everything else is front engine 612 , 599 , California. Only Lambo has all ( well two :rolleyes: ) it's line up as mid engine.

Back