• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

Okay guys, I've extended the rear of the car to accommodate the longitudinal engine... what do you think?
FY12_FV_NSX_WALLPAPER_01.jpg

Last edited:
Okay guys, I've extended the rear of the car to accommodate the longitudinal engine... what do you think?

Here is another rendition...
Seemingly, the recent LA Auto-show NSX-v2 model looks nothing like this NSX-Concept model from the side-profile. The former has been greatly sanitized, whereas the latter had a muscular/Coke-bottle type of design from the side.

Seemingly, the recent LA Auto-show NSX-v2 model looks nothing like this NSX-Concept model from the side-profile. The former has been greatly sanitized, whereas the latter had a muscular/Coke-bottle type of design from the side.

Wait what?? The NSX V2 wasn't at the LA Auto show

View attachment 108072

The rear wheels probably will not be this far back. They had to extend the rear not to accommodate the engine orientation, but to add crash protection / crumple zone behind the transmission - which sticks out a decent bit behind the rear axle. So take the old car, add a little more behind the wheels.

Those same Honda R&D executives tell us the only external change necessary to accommodate the new drivetrain layout was the slight lengthening of the rear end to provide more room for crash structure to protect the drivetrain.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/...ura_nsx_supercar_gets_big_drivetrain_changes/

Last edited:
What was recent auto-show with the white NSX-v2 on the rotating display with the Asian dude/dudette in denim+boots? (Tokyo?)

That what I meant!

Looks like the same concept shown last year, just painted white. The next time they show the car, it will almost certainly be the production version.

I was wondering what form of VTEC do you think the new NSX motor will have? current i-VTEC, or do you think we may finally see Advance VTEC used on the NSX?

- - - Updated - - -

interesting how the intake manifold, wider v angle, and cam covers look VERY similar to the now defunct twin turbo v6 from formula1 that put out what...1000hp?

Swift you used to be over on AcuraLegend right? I think I remember your username from there.

I was wondering what form of VTEC do you think the new NSX motor will have? current i-VTEC, or do you think we may finally see Advance VTEC used on the NSX?

- - - Updated - - -

Swift you used to be over on AcuraLegend right? I think I remember your username from there.

Yeah been around with them since 2004. here for a long time also.

I think they have to go with some sort of advance vtec. They need to pull out all stops with this one.

And I am curious what tech will be along with the turbos. You know it won't just be plan run of the mill turbo charing system, variable vanes I am sure or something similar.

Safe to bet that whatever is going on here, it is considered eXperimental. And isn't that the point? When was the last time we talked this much about a Honda. In a good way I mean; usually we get to bash them for their flops such as, oh I don't know, the entire rest of Acura's line up.

I still believe that Honda will introduce a Hybrid turbo system. This is a system that uses both Electrics in combination with the engine exhaust, to keep the Turbos at the optimum boost levels at all time.
This is the same system that is being introduced on F1 engines starting in 2014.

Bram

imagine piezoelectric valves....imagine a world free of disease and dental decay....a world where sign language interpreters no matter how psychotic can rub shoulders with the worlds leaders......that day is here!!!!!!!

Hehehe. I found that highly entertaining, thank you.

It strikes me as fantastical to think that a technology will hit a $150k street car the same year it hits F1. (Or one year later, to be picky.) perhaps it is coming but I would be awfully surprised.

I think there will be a lot more to this car than we know about so far. They will have something up their sleeve for the NSX

NSpec used to have some photoshops of the car with a slightly longer rear end, I wonder how accurate his photoshops will be?

- - - Updated - - -

Just be happy it didn't link to an rx7 or gto fan page.

...or its a trick to get your facebook password so he can change all your pictures to RX7s and GTOs.

Explanation of the 2014 F1 engines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lyBFmkAKw

Someone mentioned the electric turbo thing before (explained in this video), I wonder if that's one of Honda's "innovations" for the new engine? Does anyone have any further info on how this would work in a real world sense? What kind of power would the engine be generating at 1,500 rpm if it had instant boost? More NA power at lower RPMs than normal + instant electric power could make for some interesting dynamics. A 500 hp car that was significantly faster than other 500 hp cars of identical weight for instance (because it has 300hp off the line)?

It seems like full boost means more or less full torque. Of course, there will be some losses due to the nature of the airflow and mixing at slower speeds, so full boost at 1500 rpm isn't actually the same torque as full boost at high rpm. But NA dyno plots show a relatively flat torque curve. Of course, power is proportional to speed, so the power at 1,500 rpm will be about 1/10 of what it is at 15k rpm.

These new F1 engines are pretty impressive. That's some serious boost for a 1.6L engine that makes ~200 hp naturally aspirated to exceed 600 hp and provide full torque across the band, assuming that you are willing to spend the electrical energy to drive the turbo. Plus additional torque from the electric-kinetic system.

On a different note, I recently heard that the outgoing V8's idled at 5k rpm. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising given the 19k redline, but it still strikes me as wonderful.

Explanation of the 2014 F1 engines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lyBFmkAKw

Someone mentioned the electric turbo thing before (explained in this video), I wonder if that's one of Honda's "innovations" for the new engine? Does anyone have any further info on how this would work in a real world sense? What kind of power would the engine be generating at 1,500 rpm if it had instant boost? More NA power at lower RPMs than normal + instant electric power could make for some interesting dynamics. A 500 hp car that was significantly faster than other 500 hp cars of identical weight for instance (because it has 300hp off the line)?

What is funny is that the hp rating may be spot on(no gentlemen's agreement and all) but an NSX with electric motors(instant torque), similar weight to other partial supercars, with turbos with very little boost lag...and getting the power to the ground via AWD. holy hell this thing will be fast.

Back