• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Orleans Wal-Mart Looting video

SHE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: If there is more important things to do than deal with non-violent offenders then GO DO IT instead of STEALING....While in UNIFORM!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My Gawd. Only too often am I reminded of how so many in this great country believe that they deserve something for nothing. Shame on the cops for perpetuating such thievery. Instead of helping they are out lying and looting.

Disgraceful.

hmmm...

Well, does this make any sense?!? :confused: :mad: :eek: :frown:

==========================================================

findloot.jpg

Those photos are from two different sources, two different photographers.

The photographer has made a statement as to the choice of the word "finding" over "looting."

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?i...://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=88106

"Chris Graythen wrote the caption for his photo of two hurricane survivors with bread and soda.
"I believed in my opinion, that they did simply find them, and not 'looted' them in the definition of the word, " he writes.
"The people were swimming in chest deep water, and there were other people in the water, both white and black. I looked for the best picture. There were a million items floating in the water - we were right near a grocery store that had 5+ feet of water in it. It had no doors. The water was moving, and the stuff was floating away. These people were not ducking into a store and busting down windows to get electronics. They picked up bread and cokes that were floating in the water. They would have floated away anyhow.""

I think it's all in the context of it. If one is "looting" to survive, go for it! I would. Would you steal food to keep your family alive while your house was underwater? I would. Would you clothe your kids if the only clothing they had was the dirty stuff they were wearing? And remember, a lot of the water there is dirty and has sewage spills mixed in it. I sure as hell would grab them clean clothes to keep them warm and clean of any virus that's in the water.

Now the people looting in excess for monetary gain & greed should go to jail.

But IMO it depends on what's being taken and why. Without knowing everyones situation, you gotta be somewhat easy on them. Some of those "looters" would be happy to pay for stuff, but they can't even get to their money without an open bank within swimming distance, or a working ATM machine, let alone an open store to actually buy from. The people that work at that Wal-Mart probably can't even get to work, and THEY might not even have a home to sleep in at night.

Man, those people are screwed and you gotta feel bad for em.

It's the bad apples that make the whole situation look like a bunch of common criminals pillaging. (ie. police officers with a cart full of shoes!)

That video just makes me mad....and it makes me even more upset that the idiot officer pretends like they did not just FILM HER LOOTING!! She starts walking around pretending to do her job after that.... :mad: :mad:

Most of the people in that Wal-Mart are so poor they couldn't leave New Orleans. That does not justify stealing TV's and power wheels(that one killed me) because those items are useless at a time like this. Stealing food or items for survival I can understand. Wal-Mart has plenty of insurance. The thing that kills me is I read a news story on Yahoo and there was a quote from a Sri Lankan man who talked about how his heart went out to all of the Americans who were affected by this, but he referred to the big difference in the way people from the tsunami reacted. He mentioned that people in Sri Lanka were not looting and were helping each other. Sad... JMHO

Deuce B said:
I think it's all in the context of it. If one is "looting" to survive, go for it! I would. Would you steal food to keep your family alive while your house was underwater? I would. Would you clothe your kids if the only clothing they had was the dirty stuff they were wearing? And remember, a lot of the water there is dirty and has sewage spills mixed in it. I sure as hell would grab them clean clothes to keep them warm and clean of any virus that's in the water.

Now the people looting in excess for monetary gain & greed should go to jail.

But IMO it depends on what's being taken and why. Without knowing everyones situation, you gotta be somewhat easy on them. Some of those "looters" would be happy to pay for stuff, but they can't even get to their money without an open bank within swimming distance, or a working ATM machine, let alone an open store to actually buy from. The people that work at that Wal-Mart probably can't even get to work, and THEY might not even have a home to sleep in at night.

Man, those people are screwed and you gotta feel bad for em.

Said Perfectly!* This is so heartbreaking.

This is a small, small group of people out of the many that unfortunately got most of the limelight. I personally met some of these evacuees today, and they are so grateful and happy to be out of New Orleans. That's all they wanted. It only takes a few to cause everyone to stereotype the whole bunch.

Food yeah, thats okay but TVs and stuff? Celine Deion (whatever her name is) was on TV last night after I came from a sweet 16 and I hear this "its okay for them to take the tvs and things" WTF BE-ACCH! sorry about that but she is crazy...and Kanye West for what he said about Bush not caring for black people...he has guts..but for those who do listen to hjis style of music (not many I belive) he is one eggy person and will speak his mind and not give a damn where you like it or not

The tsunami was a different disaster. It was in and out rather quickly. What was hit was destroyed. The level of looting is reflective of the nature of the disaster that hit a very poor area of a city, not a reflection on our society.

Let's also remember that kids were sold basically as sex slaves after the tsunami. I highly doubt you will see that happening here.

NSX-Stalker

That's disgusting!.......as for the so-called "police officers", you (usually) get what you pay for......pathetic salaries, sad standards and marginal background investigations yield the like........

I heard once and never again on CNN that the prisons and jails were emptied into the streets right before the storm hit. Did anyone else hear this? Sure would explain a lot.

nsxpilot said:
That's disgusting!.......as for the so-called "police officers", you (usually) get what you pay for......pathetic salaries, sad standards and marginal background investigations yield the like........

Not around here. To be a cop here you must have a 4 year degree. With overtime the job pays 100k or more.

Back