• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie looking

Greetings,

I'm a 2007 STI owner whos been looking to an NSX. Having lived in Japan for 7yrs in the 90s-2000s, I lived through Japans turbos (owned a couple 180SXs (SR20DET), Silvia, Z32 (VGDE30TT), and an R32, and had the pleasure of being passed by a herd of NSXs (team Top End) on Yokohama Bay Bridge on my FairladyZ32 (later spoke with them on Daikuko Futo). I returned to the US and all the turbos died and was left with either the Evo and STI, and so picked up the STI ~6yrs ago. Goal is to use that as my down payment/trade in.

Right now theres an NSX <100 miles from me and going to take a looky the next week or two. Just had my STI block tested w/ impressive results (all 137+/140), with nearly 90k miles. Hoping for the best. Its a Red 1991 NSX, and more importantly, near me. Already spoke with the dealer, but trying to hold off and see what else pops up in the near future (you know how sometimes regret for not waiting as something else better/cheaper shows up...).

Any advice is highly appreciated... still looking through the newbie/faq's in regards to models/buying guides... maybe theres someone here who knows what to look for and near.

The only advice is " The longer you wait on the purchase, the longer you are deprived from happiness " Ok, Ok on a serious note remember you get what you pay for, so consider the price of the car, condition and you're expectations from the car; For example when I bought mine I initialy wanted to spend the least so I did, but it meant the car was due for a few scheduled maintanance and repairs such as the clutch wich's price alone ranges from $1500-2500 and up, plus labor; but I was ok with this since I figured once I invested in these issues the price would be back up ther with competing similar nsx's that were being sold, only difference was I would know exactely were the car stood mechanicly and cosmeticly:smile:

Last edited:
"The longer you wait on the purchase, the longer you are deprived from happiness "

I agree. If you're ready to buy, and this one happens to fit the bill, go for it! You may not find another one so conveniently located anytime soon. This specimen looks pretty good (with the exception of the exhaust, which isn't to my liking but may not be a big deal for you).

Get a PPI, and try to negotiate the cost of any needed maintenance (including tb/wp, and check to see if it's in the snap ring range) into the price. And if you do decide to buy it but don't want to keep the daytime running lights, sell them to me. :biggrin:

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
Going from your STI to an NSX, you will definitely feel a huge difference in performance and space, but it'll be well worth it. Good luck with your purchase :cool:

Would like to say thanks for the help. Will be visiting dealership saturday and see if we can work out a deal. However, 34k for a 1991 with 50k miles seems a bit high.

Would like to say thanks for the help. Will be visiting dealership saturday and see if we can work out a deal. However, 34k for a 1991 with 50k miles seems a bit high.

Not if it's in good shape. I would say you would be lucky to get a 1991 in good shape with 50k for that price. Is the maintainance up to date?

Mike

Last edited:
My biggest advice is don't settle or limit your search because a car is near you.

I bought my prestine 1995 NSX-Targa from New Hampshire... I live in Southern California. :smile:

Secondly, definitely look at multiple NSXs, to get a feel for them and the note condition and prices for each of them.

However, 34k for a 1991 with 50k miles seems a bit high.

Might be able to knock a bit off the price depending on warranty. Also depends on what other shoppers are inquiring about the car. With the warm weather on the way, sporty cars are moving and sales people know it.

From what I have been seeing based on sales it seems that paying just north of $30k for a fairly low mile (under 80k) early year vehicle is not uncommon. There are of course outliers

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I had to deal with that during my NSX search, and it's no fun. :mad: I'm glad I was able to buy my NSXs from sellers that I knew personally, and was thus able to avoid that issue.

got my eye on a car. Anyone know anything on this? What rims are those (pics not too good). Owner on here? I think car is a little high priced(?)

Went to several dealerships yesterday. Got an offer letter from carmax, not too bad.:cool:

Thinking I'll just go back to carmax and cash in the letter... unless the NSX dealer can offer me more...:eek:

Next week should be interesting:biggrin:

Last edited:
Looking at this picture...

96350756_21.jpg

reminded me that, while difficult to arrange in there, you can fit a dead hooker into the trunk! Guess they couldn't figure out the arrangement and had to place her in the passenger seat in this car!

Anyway, congrats on the car. I hope everything goes through for you at the Honda dealership!

I paid a visit to several dealerships over the weekend. I was a little insulted at the majority of their prices. While I'm aware that I could never get back what I put into the STI, I dont want to deal with private sales. As recommended by a few dealerships, I also visited Carmax which had the highest offer, and I was OK with. The Honda dealership had me email my Carmax offer letter and said to come on down. I was a little surprised that the rate was less than half what my STI was.

A little excited... I'm sure most of you remember what this was like.

Dealing with private sales isn't that bad, and can be a win-win for the seller and buyer as long as both parties keep their emotions in check. Here in AZ, there's an extra incentive to purchase from private as it doesn't require the collection of sales tax. I absolutely abhor purchasing used cars from dealerships due to the crappy sales tactics, lack of history/documentation, and paying unnecessary tax.

Anyway, good luck getting your NSX!

Back