• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No coolant to radiator

I am not getting any coolant to my radiator. If I rev the engine, I do get coolant to the radiator. I am thinking it is either a bad thermostat or water pump. Has anyone experienced this, if so, what was the problem.

Rob

We need more info...

1) coolant level in tank? And what brand tank? oem? Dali? SOS?
2) heater works?
3) all air bled in system first?
4) temp guage reads what after idling for 10 min?
5) does radiator fan kick on?
6) does temp guage rise to red? or fall once heater kicks in?

Step # 1 you need to do is burp all air out of system 2 under the hood, and 2 near engine first. (do a search if you do not know how to do this)

Once all air is out, fill tank about 2/3 to 3/4 during this test.

fill us in some more infor before we can just say it is a thermostat or H2O pump.

One thing noticed on mine was that the timing belt was quite loose when changed. The belt actually drives the pump, but from the back (non-toothed) side of the belt. It was loose enough that the pump could be easily spun by hand. I don't know if there is more tension applied during normal engine operation, but just something to keep in mind. Also, I have found that the NSX is VERY sensitive to getting all of the air pockets out of the cooling system, so bleed, as noted, prior to digging too far.

It is the stock tank,

heater works when engine is reved up
all air was bled out of system twice
coolant overheats in engine and coolant tank
radiator fan is on
guage rises to red, very quickly, then when reved, lowers quickly.
it was working fine for a long time and it happened all at once, so I can't imagine any air got into the system.

I will check the tension on the timing belt.

Sounds very familiar.

1)Re-bleed all air out of system,
2)Fill the tank 2/3 to 3/4 full.
3)start and let idle for a few minutes.
4) repeat (2) (several times) until level stays consistant in tank (full system volume may be low)
5) wouldn't hurt to re-bleed again here.

Then start and let idle heater off. you should see guage go just a tick below 50% and the fan up front should go on/off/on/off etc. It should NOT go into the red!

It WILL go into the red if there is air in system and/or system volume is low.

Do this and then get back to us.....

For more in-depth info PM "NSX3.0" here on Prime.

When I bleed an NSX I always have the radiator lower then the engine. Raise the car on rear jack stands only. Then go through the bleed process. Make sure the heat is on, or manually open the water valve for the heater core.

This method has been 100% for me.

Typically this symptom would not be indicitive of an open thermostat. What I have experienced when this is the case is very slow warm up, and on cool days, at highway speed, the temp gauge will actually drop.

HTH,
LarryB

Back