• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX 2.0 pictures from the NAIAS

General question. When the first nsx rolled off the assembly line, how long was it before a company offered a supercharger? I wonder how a supercharger on the new nsx would effect the front electric motors. I have a yamaha sx230 dual jet drive, one prop is in perfect condition but the other has some chips and at full throttle the bad prop creates drag. So Im guessing if you put on a supercharger on the new nsx we might have to upgrade the electric motors? Does this sound correct?

If the car is built right in the first place, with enough power to get the job done, there won't even be a need for FI.

The whole point of the NSX Concept is that you can get the same performance boost effects from "clean" electric motors that you used to get from "dirty" FI. Think of the motors as an instant torque turbo. That's how Honda is thinking of them. If they can make it work, I think it will change the industry.

General question. When the first nsx rolled off the assembly line, how long was it before a company offered a supercharger? I wonder how a supercharger on the new nsx would effect the front electric motors. I have a yamaha sx230 dual jet drive, one prop is in perfect condition but the other has some chips and at full throttle the bad prop creates drag. So Im guessing if you put on a supercharger on the new nsx we might have to upgrade the electric motors? Does this sound correct?

BALLS is what it needs!

I can't believe some of you are bitching, I mean. we all can think whatever we want but let's be positive here.

POSITIVES:

• MID ENGINE
• LOOKS EXOTIC
• IS NOT A PIG
• HAS CLEAN LINES
• WILL BE PACKED WITH TECHNOLOGY
• Apparently will perform accordingly
• Will be built in the US, which means better cost, better for us

NEGATIVES:

• Funny face, EU crash regulations really SUCK
• NO Real HP numbers
• Looks a bit generic of supercar (still is fine, means will last like ours)
• No production date yet
• Although almost killed, there's still the Acura idiot current front there

REALITY CHECK:

• Is not going to be 230+K .. therefore guys, seriously, be thankful we have hope and a car we can look fwd
• Name is Fine, as long they come with GREAT HP and performance like ours
• Transmission .... sucks, but is what everybody is doing, is more efficient but really kills the MT guys (like me)
• Built in the USA, honestly, is OK as long as they keep the standards like ours
• It better comes with 450HP
• it better keep under 3,100lb's
• It better take corners better than current competition
• Technology is different and like or not Honda might share some to built this car

Give me the new NSX as it is and I'll make mine like this:

nsx_hybridc3.jpg

And I will be extremely happy till my last days, I am happy with this new concept, give it BALLS and we are talking!

Oscar

Re: BALLS is what it needs!

I can't believe some of you are bitching, I mean. we all can think whatever we want but let's be positive here.

POSITIVES:

• MID ENGINE
• LOOKS EXOTIC
• IS NOT A PIG
• HAS CLEAN LINES

NEGATIVES:

• NO Real HP numbers
• No production date yet

REALITY CHECK:

• Is not going to be 230+K .. therefore guys, seriously, be thankful we have hope and a car we can look fwd
• Transmission .... sucks, but is what everybody is doing, is more efficient but really kills the MT guys (like me)
• Built in the USA, honestly, is OK as long as they keep the standards like ours
• Technology is different and like or not Honda might share some to built this car

nsx_hybridc3.jpg

And I will be extremely happy till my last days, I am happy with this new concept, give it BALLS and we are talking!

Oscar

Couldn't agree more.

LETS just be happy it's even in the works!!

Showcasing Honda's F1 prowess in the 80s makes for great DNA for the engineering team. I question the passion from where this car stems from. I love the look but I hope it can perform. That's really the most important.

Will the SH-AWD be the groundbreaking hybrid tech similar to VTEC in it's day? I'm not sure.

Will this generation NSX have a Senna to help guide and make key last minute changes? I'm not sure...

I hope this isn't just a shell that will be rushed to production since Ito got more than an earful from the social media army saying "Honda has lost its way".

That's what worries me... Hang on to your NA1 and NA2 guys!

They are now saying 2015. I hope to wait a couple of years and get one once the bugs are worked out. So a new NSX for me in 2017 I guess???

That's what warranty is there for. And there is something about having the FIRST one, just like the when the GTR, R8 S2K came out... and NSX which [still] had lots of bugs (compared to the NA2 models).

If I will be able to afford, it, and half as cool as I think it will be, I'm buying it..

some topics to discuss

1) no longer being manufactured in Japan like our cars and the production/engineering team being Honda R&D Americas, Inc., will the new NSX have that as I call it "samurai spirit"?

2) Looks wise, why does it have a similar design as the R8, MP4-12C, '13 Lotus Espirit?

3) For people who have read up on the Porsche 918, the concept for the electric twin motors in the front is very similar to the new NSX

4) Have they discussed about the weight of the car yet?

5) I wish it was a bit more sleeker

Last edited:
The whole point of the NSX Concept is that you can get the same performance boost effects from "clean" electric motors that you used to get from "dirty" FI. Think of the motors as an instant torque turbo. That's how Honda is thinking of them. If they can make it work, I think it will change the industry.

LOL You can keep telling them this counselor but people aren't hearing it. TURBO SUPERCHARGER is what they wanna hear:biggrin:

The system that Honda is using is them trying to attack the GTR brute force with tech. The tranny , the twin motors all generating so much tq vs high hp all of it will be tuned for maximum traction , grip and speed to make the car fast!

John Mendell said we'll see a lot of at the track testing with this car before it hits the street. So expect VIR , MID OHIO and the rest testing:biggrin:

I hope they bring someone Like Damon Hill, or ANY driver that has won an F1 championship and still BAD ASS to do the tuning ...

Oscar

LOL You can keep telling them this counselor but people aren't hearing it. TURBO SUPERCHARGER is what they wanna hear:biggrin:

The system that Honda is using is them trying to attack the GTR brute force with tech. The tranny , the twin motors all generating so much tq vs high hp all of it will be tuned for maximum traction , grip and speed to make the car fast!

John Mendell said we'll see a lot of at the track testing with this car before it hits the street. So expect VIR , MID OHIO and the rest testing:biggrin:

It is very commendable that Acura/Honda has decided to actually do something about their image after all these years. The shape of the design prototype itself is lightyears ahead of the HSC/ASCC disasters.

That being said I would take anything that the Acura/Honda marketing executives say with a grain of salt. (In other words don't drink too much Cool Aid)

The biggest problem that Honda/Acura will have will be in regards to how practical a chemical battery solution will be for real world track driving.

The current generation of vehicles that use regenerative braking leave quite a bit to be desired, the brake pedal feel for the hybrid cars that I have driven is abysmal even for street driving. For track work when you actually apply maximum braking for very short periods of time and being at the limit of threshold braking things will be even more challenging.

Even Porsche factory drivers like Patrick Long have said that driving the Porsche GT3R Hybrid racecar takes a bit to get used to since the driving dynamics of the car are different from it's non Hybrid counterpart.

And Porsche is on their 3rd generation GT3 Hybrid car development and still working on it: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/21/porsche-approves-development-of-third-generation-911-gt3-r-hybri/

Personally I would be very surprised if Honda/Acura can deliver a vehicle that will meet all the expectations that the fans have based on the NSX 2.0. Being able to deliver a brand new car in 3 years that has been tested and proven with an all new platform, engine, tranny, will be a real miracle.

Last edited:
Nothwithstanding the comments on the beak and other styling comments I think what we'll have under the skin is the beauty of this car.

Assuming a transverse V6 it would be very complex, costly and heavy to incorporate a transfer case, driveshaft and front differential into the car to achieve an all wheel drive option.

In keeping with the trendsetting design of our first generation cars, I think all wheel drive using lightweight electric motors on the front, a main electric motor in the rear and undoubtedly complex electronics to make it all seamless is the future of perfomance cars.
Our NSX's forte has always been handling not big power so this driveline seems to be in the same tradition.

At say 100-110 hp per liter we should have base power of around 370-380 bhp plus an extra 80-100 hp available from the electric motors for short bursts much like a Formula 1 KERS system. Having this much power for sprints(drags) or corner exits would be great.

On day to day driving or a road trip the 3.5-3.7 liter engine should get great mileage.

The weight and hp per lb are a TBA and this will be very important to ther final performance numbers. Let's hope it comes in around 3000 lbs like ours giving us around 7.8 hp per lb base and 6.25 lbs per hp with electric boost

As Honda doesn't normally do development at their customers expense, (GM's Volt?) I'm sure the car will be well developed before launch and should be as reliable as our current cars.

I'm sold, have been to our Acura dealer, put my deposit down, and am first on the wait list.

Jim

Last edited:
I hope this car makes it and will not turn into a HSC concept. I'm going to the show tomorrow and hope there are people there to answer questions on this car. Can't wait :biggrin:

Personally, I find the overall design of the car quite appealing. The dimensions make me feel better for I worried that the car would be tall & goofy looking. As virtually all others have mentioned, I do not like that stupid beak. Unquestionably, the most moronic design statement in years. I for one truly hope Acura builds this car, for I have to no problems plopping down the cash to acquire one of these bad boys.

Re: BALLS is what it needs!

POSITIVES:

• MID ENGINE
• LOOKS EXOTIC
• IS NOT A PIG
• HAS CLEAN LINES

NEGATIVES:

• NO Real HP numbers
• No production date yet

REALITY CHECK:

nsx_hybridc3.jpg

Oscar

You couldnt have said it any better..

Not nearly as pretty as the original.I don't like the beak, and honestly*it's little generic (more Audi TT than R8) for what's supposed to be a halo car for Acura.
I'm sure it will be a good car, but it's going to be tough to take on the competition in that segment. GTR, 911 Turbo, Vette ZR1 & ZO6, Audi R8, New generation Viper. *

OK, I've sat back and read both gripes and praise for the new NSX "Concept" and resisted weighing in until I have let the hype consume me.

Our current NSX was developed on the race track incorporating race technology and race driver input to produce arguably one of the greatest road cars ever built. It has a heritage. The new concept's technology is coming from another direction altogether. Let's use current "green" technology to build a great road car that performs like a race car. I hope it works as it could be the new standard for the way sports cars are built in the future. Just as our NSXs were.

That said, I still have reservations on the look of the car. When I watch the GT5 video and see my car on the screen I get that same feeling I had in 1991 and still get when I look in my garage every day. However, when the new NSX shows up, it definately catches my attention but I don't get that "schwinggg!" that I had in the 1991 debute. Maybe the younger, hug a tree, crowd has a better reaction to it and we nuke the whales guys are destine to become fossels.

I don't question the concept's affect on the value of my car as I didn't buy my car as an investment. My car is worth way more than it's value to me anyway. I do question weather or not the new technology will get in the way of the driver's experience. It's good to introduce new technology that improves performance and adapt to environmental reality just as racing is trying to do. But, far too many of today's sports cars practically drive themselves and have no soul. I question whether it's going to take a PHD in engineering to do any DIY. Not to mention the cost of repairs and parts. Sorry this is a long dissertation just to say that the jury is out for me until I see the finished product in person. As a Honda fan and a man who loves cars I hope its successful no matter what my opinion is.

Just studied some high res photos and I believe the concept's tire sizes are:

255/35/19 Front - 26 in diameter

275/30/20 Rear - 26.5 in diameter

So the front tires have a higher sidewall, weird... It would be balanced with if the front were only 235/35/19 or the rears were 295/30/20. My guess for rim size would be 19x9 and 20x10 or 10.5.
I think you're missing the fact that the sidewall height is the first dimension multiplied by the second dimension so they're much closer than you might think .. approx 7mm or less. Can you discern that at 10 feet?

I think you're missing the fact that the sidewall height is the first dimension multiplied by the second dimension so they're much closer than you might think .. approx 7mm or less. Can you discern that at 10 feet?
Actually,he's pretty close

Tire - 255/35R19
Tire - 275/30R20

Section Width: 10.03 in 255 mm
Section Width: 10.82 in 275 mm

Rim Diameter: 19 in 482.6 mm
Rim Diameter: 20 in 508 mm

Rim Width Range: 9.5 - 10 in
Rim Width Range: 9.5 - 11 in

Overall Diameter: 26.02 in 660.90 mm
Overall Diameter: 26.49 in 672.84 mm

Sidewall Height: 3.51 in 89.154 mm
Sidewall Height: 3.24 in 82.296 mm

Radius: 13.01 in 330.45 mm
Radius: 13.24 in 336.29 mm

Circumference: 81.74 in 2076.1 mm
Circumference: 83.22 in 2113.7 mm

Revs per Mile: 799.3
Revs per Mile: 785.2

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h

Speedometer1: 58.9 mph 98.2 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 1.795% too slow

Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 1.78%

Saw this review and it's interesting

Old Versus New: The Acura NSX
The new concept displayed in Detroit has some big shoes to fill. To put things in perspective, here's a look at some of the similarities and differences between the new and old models.
By*James Tate*of*MSN Autos
Share2

Acura's new NSX Concept being shown at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in Detroit has some seriously big shoes to fill if it intends to follow in the footsteps of the last car to carry the moniker.

When the original NSX made its debut in 1990, we thought Acura had achieved the impossible: an all-aluminum supercar that you could drive every day. The NSX looked like a Ferrari, but you could drive and maintain it like a Honda Accord V6. It had a midengine design, yet the interior was spacious and comfortable. The ride was supple, not too hard and fatiguing.

It didn't have as much horsepower as a Toyota Supra Turbo or a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. But nobody cared. Thanks to perfectly chosen gear ratios, the car just sang to its stratospheric 8000 rpm redline. The sound was without question exotic — music to the ears of any car aficionado.

More importantly, the appeal of the old NSX was that you couldn't find a single synthetic element in the entire package. It was organic — car journalists called it "talkative." It was the kind of car that translated the road through the steering wheel like none of its competition could ever dream of doing.

That was then, this is now
From the looks of it, the new NSX isn't a logical evolution of the previous diamond in the rough. It will rely on technology for its appeal, with all-wheel drive, a hybrid drivetrain and a paddle transmission, while the original was a purist's vehicle, a simple, well-considered sports car.

Even so, we have to think that when the new NSX does drop, it will gain a following. It just won't be the same bunch who loved the previous car.

But before we hypothesize any further, it really should be noted that nobody knows much about the upcoming NSX. What we're looking at here is a concept, and the details are, at best, hazy. So let's look at some similarities and differences before we get too carried away in a premature sea of worry and regret.

Top Stories from the Detroit Auto Show:

Acura Unveils 3 Concepts in Detroit
Lexus Unveils Show-Stopping Concept
BMW Is Still King of the Hill
For complete coverage, see our Detroit Auto Show page

The Similarities

Acura NSX Concept
Both cars are pretty. The new concept does beauty in a more digital manner, but there's no questioning it's well-proportioned. If Acura will forgive us for saying, it looks like a Japanese Audi R8, except that the German car doesn't have a beak.

Both cars feature a midengine design. More than a few racers would testify that the weight distribution afforded by the midengine mounting is key to the NSX's great handling, making cornering shuffles easy and giving the car great grip in acceleration and braking.

Both cars use a V6 engine. If it weren't for the previous car, we'd balk at the notion. But we're looking forward to the new V6 and hoping it's as lively as its namesake.

Both cars have staggered wheel diameters. This is a forgotten cool factor of yesteryear supercars, something you can get away with in a midengine design.

The Differences

Acura NSX Concept
The potential problem was never that the cars don't have commonalities, but rather that the new car adds a lot of stuff that never would have been acceptable in the original. Take the dual-clutch transmission, for instance. The fact that Acura is sacrificing the previous car's buttery-smooth shift action is disheartening, but maybe that's just the traditionalist talking. Within that dual-clutch transmission is an electric motor, which we hope will serve up a "push-to-pass"-type function, but that will almost definitely mean there won't be a manual transmission option.

While that might remove some of the fun of the original, you have to put yourself in Acura's shoes. If the automaker doesn't incorporate technologies such as all-wheel drive, hybrid powertrains and paddle transmissions, it isn't going to have a prayer of competing against rivals such as the Lexus LF-A or the indomitable Nissan GT-R.

A high-strung, naturally aspirated V6 engine worked great in 1990, but it ain't 1990 anymore. Without the help of forced induction or a stout electric motor or two, the car wouldn't have any hopes of turning heads or opening checkbooks. Let's remember that when the first NSX hit the streets, its V6 pumped out 270 horsepower. You get that out of a Toyota Camry these days.

Similarly, the fact is that technology is what drives high-performance cars. Sure, now that we look back on the first NSX 22 years later, we can say it was a simple formula. But back then, a V6 that revved to 8000 rpm in an all-aluminum midengine supercar was far from a simple formula. The variable-valve-timing technology that found its place in Acura's 3.0-liter VTEC engine transformed the way every manufacturer thought about engine design.

It just so happens that today, those state-of-the-art technologies are torque-vectoring all-wheel drive, electric motor assists and dual-clutch gearboxes. With dual electric motors on the front axle line, you can effectively use torque vectoring to alter the attitude of the car in corners and under hard braking. You can increase traction during acceleration. And that acceleration will likely be brutal, thanks to that third motor we were talking about, hiding in the transmission. Shift time? Pretty close to instantaneous, if we had to guess, thanks to the dual-clutch setup. Welcome to the future.

You want "man and machine"? Go buy a "classic" NSX. But if you want state-of-the-art, jump on the new NSX bandwagon.

Your choice.

James Tate cut his teeth in the business as a race team crew member before moving to the editorial side as Senior Editor of Sport Compact Car, and his work has appeared in Popular Mechanics, Automobile, Motor Trend and European Car. When not writing, Tate is usually fantasizing about a vintage Porsche 911.

Like us on MSN Autos Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Last edited:
Back