• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX drive in Kuala Lumpur with NSX-R and turbo NSX!

Sunday morning I was invited for a spirited drive through the mountains of Kuala Lumpur by my friend and Prime member Shaw (nsxinkl). Shaw picked me up from my apartment with his beautiful red turbo'ed NSX. His car is 20 years old, but with the facelift and the perfect interior it looks like it just rolled out of Takanezawa.

I love his Spoon dash:

When we arrived at the meeting spot there were already a couple of great cars: Ferrari 430, 458, Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0, 911 S and a GT-R.

Shaw already told me that he would come, but when I saw the NSX-R coming I got really excited!

Then a third NSX joined us. A white 2002 with a very aggressive and beautiful kit:

It was time to drive and I was lucky to ride shotgun with the NSX-R. Great detail, the driver is a former F1, A1 and GP2 driver who bought the car new in 2003. Driving skills and 10 years experience in the R = double win! Needless to say that it was an unforgettable experience! We had a group of very fast cars, but no one could even come close to the NSX-R. Even on straights, the NSX-R managed to pull away from the GT3 RS 4.0, the only car that could kind of keep up. The rest of the cars were already long out of our sights. He only changed the air filter and exhaust and dynoed the car at 370bhp and weighed it at a bit over 1200kg with half tank.

He only changed the air filter and exhaust and dynoed the car at 370bhp ....

Please explain this magic? Because to get 370bhp out of a 3.2L NA would have to involve magic.

PS: even at 370bhp and 1200kg, the 911 GT3 4.0 should have smoked the NSX-R. The GT3 4.0 is 500bhp/3200 lbs (1400kg). 0-60 in 3.4 and 1/4 mile in 11.6 - that's really, really quick. But then again, that also presupposes that the GT3 driver was actually trying hard instead of short shifting.

Last edited:
Dunno, I haven't seen the dyno chart. I do know that the NSX-R engine is not the same c32 we know from our NSXs.

We were just really, really fast! Maybe our exit speeds were just so high the 911 never stood a chance on the straights.

Awesome; but that NSX-R, must have some motor work besides the great driver?

Last edited:
It was time to drive and I was lucky to ride shotgun with the NSX-R. Great detail, the driver is a former F1, A1 and GP2 driver who bought the car new in 2003. Driving skills and 10 years experience in the R = double win! Needless to say that it was an unforgettable experience! We had a group of very fast cars, but no one could even come close to the NSX-R. Even on straights, the NSX-R managed to pull away from the GT3 RS 4.0, the only car that could kind of keep up. The rest of the cars were already long out of our sights. He only changed the air filter and exhaust and dynoed the car at 370bhp and weighed it at a bit over 1200kg with half tank.

Nice story. I guess the ex-F1 driver was test driver Fairuz Fauzy?

I can certainly beieve that a proper racer knows how to maintain momentum and a better car in the hands of an ordinary road driver would never keep up. But I also don't believe 370bhp. Or we'd all have it. :)

Beautiful Type Cs
IMG_8890_zps85b21527.jpg

I'm jealous you got to see a real NSX-R.

Amazing photos and cars, thanks so much for sharing!!

Hi,

from all i've read all over, and also some Procar info in his thread (although a long..long time ago),
the NSX-R engines, completely stock, usually dynoed at over 330hp.

So, with intake and the best headers and exhaust (in Japan it's common to buy them),
it's not that hard to get addtional 30 or 40hp.... the secret is not on the parts he used,
but the base he has: NSX-R C32 :wink:

Nuno

From an acceleration standpoint, the NSX-R's we drove at Suzuka were no different than an I/H/E equipped generic NSX. Granted we couldn't do any meaningful laps or anything - just short bursts. I've heard the 330hp claim as well, and from my perspective, it just wasn't there.

In any event, the important thing is enjoying the time with like minded individuals. Thanks for sharing, Dimer.

Last edited:
Wow, I love that RS40. Thanks for Sharing! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

And I like the car combinations; Porsche + A-NSX

Back