• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX found to have been on "frame rack" with body panel replaced - value of the car???

NSX found to have been on "frame rack" with body panel replaced - value of the car???

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd write a new thread here about what folks here that have experienced accidents to their NSXs have done with them. How do you feel that incidents like this affect the resale of a car, devalue it, even if it's been a very well done repair.

My experience with other cars and being on lists like this for many years is most folks when they hear things like this turn the other way unless perhaps the price and history reflects good operation and a reasonable reduction in price. So I know I'm not telling you much here about the extent of the damage but it all started when I found out from the owner of one I was seriously considering told me that he had noticed for the first time in his ownership of 4 years that a vin sticker on one of the front fenders was missing - the LF. He was concerned and too it to his favorite body shop and they put it up on a lift and they showed him evidence that it had been on a frame rack. Apparently the fix was done pretty well cause the owner and others that have driven the car find it to operate with the JIC coil overs like it rides on rails. So maybe it was done well and maybe it's a good fix, but the question remains how do you convince someone of that if you are the owner trying to sell?

What has been you folks experience about accident damage and what would intice you as a prospective buyer to consider a car like this.
1. It no longer has all its original panels
2. It's been on a frame rack
3. It no longer has factory original paint
4. The original asking price was 47,500
5. It's a 2001 with 30k miles and hasn't had the TB/WP maintenance
6. Has ARK exh. and JIC coil over, painted front valance and clear bra

So apart from a usual discount off of the sellers desired price and factor for any deferred maintenance - what kind of price reduction would encourage a prospective buyer to consider this as a purchase. Would this scare anyone away from the car, how limited would be your market even with an attractive price. Also there is no record of the bill for repairs on this accident - it wasn't known and previous owner may not be found for questions?

Affect on the retail or private seller price based on the above???

Thanks guys,
Tim
Atlanta - in search of...

Re: NSX found to have been on "frame rack" with body panel replaced - value of the ca

Walk away.......

Re: NSX found to have been on "frame rack" with body panel replaced - value of the ca

I love it when people use the term "rides on rails" - WTF is that supposed to mean???? :confused:

Any car that has been in extensive damage is worth crap IMO - unless you want something cheap for a cheap price, walk away like Hothonda said.

I think you know this already - you always get what you pay for. A mint condition NSX is worth at least a certain dollar amount. Cheap cars will be headache to sell later.

Tons of threads on this subject of wrecked/damaged NSX's so go search and read.

Thanks guys,

That's exactly what I'm doing. He's decided that the loss of value would be too much and that he didn't want to pass on his headache to anyone else. So long to that one. I will say this on his behalf - it's damn nice to meet an honest man in this world - I'm very lucky. That's the kind of thing that could be slipped by someone without much trouble.

I appreciate you two. I'm taking your advice and I agree that damaged cars like this are probably as you said - "worth crap".

Onward!

Tim

strip it down and make a dedicated track car! Although you are better off starting with a coupe. :wink:

strip it down and make a dedicated track car! Although you are better off starting with a coupe. :wink:

He never said it was a coupe.......I know, it 99.9% chance it was but there is a chance it wasn't also.

It was a targa, which is what I'm looking for-I don't have the time or the money to convert anything for track use. I just wanted and still do want a driver. I can't afford a 2002 or newer it doesn't look like as they are just too expensive for me. If I had a bunch of dough I'd buy that white/ivory on ebay. Now that's a nice car if you guys haven't seen it. Oh, and really super rare! Can't be more than 1 or 2 of em in the country. With the price he has on it, he sure knows it! 58k asking price and way out of the market for that year and 45k miles. But it's a rare one and completely stock! Another rarity in itself it seems.

i would stay away

Run Forrest Run :smile:

I ran Big D

I know the deal is done, or not done to be more precise, but I have just the opposite opinion. I bought my car to drive, not to resell. I bought it over ten years ago, and I'll probably have it for ten more. If you want a car to drive and if a (properly) repaired car drives right and looks good, then buy it at a discount and enjoy it.

I have a friend who rebuilt a total salvage (fire damage after a crash) NSX, and to look at the car you would never know it. He got the car at a rock-bottom price, put in some money and sweat equity, and now he has a car that looks and performs like any other NSX out there.

Just my opinion.

Anything can be fixed with the right amount of $$

Anything can be fixed with the right amount of $$

wow how did find this old and obscure thread and want to bump it?:eek:

wow how did find this old and obscure thread and want to bump it?:eek:

Fair question...

He's too bored on a Saturday afternoon.

He should be driving his turbo, that's what I do when I'm bored.

Well, that and watch "Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies" on Netflix. You can learn a lot of lost history from this "work". :confused:

he is finally getting to all his old e-mails to LOL

2009 though yikes before my time

does anyone know the absolute first post on prime was? was it like "testing testing 1.2.3."

a link would be great lets bump that thread

Last edited:

LOL, I have no idea how or why I found that thread......... or even why I replied.

I watched "Cabin in the Woods" this weekend, pretty entertaining...

You gotta stop logging into Prime from public internet cafes/libraries/computers. :D I'd change my password if I were you. :eek:

Well, as long as this thread has been resurrected... a car that has been properly repaired is as good as new. It's about know how and experience and the right tools available -- right pbassjo?

WOW, can't believe you guys dug this one up - must be a little slow here??? LOL.

Anyway just thought I'd check in - got a pm from someone looking. Hope you guys are doing well. Wish I was looking for another NSX. Can't yet - still driving the old 6 bimmer. Still like it - it's still a pretty car but I also still want a 2009 or 2010 Targa 4S 911. Hope to get one in a couple years - we'll see. Won't keep it long and after that - then another NSX. So it'll be a while before I rejoin NSX ownership.

Yep - still don't have the bucks for multiple sporty cars. I am getting ready to retire in about 2 years - moving to FL. Just so I can check in on Shawn, lol. Really though I will be moving to FL. Looking forward to full time "recess"!
Adios for now boys,

Tim

TIM we miss you buddy

I think I am gonna donate an NSX to TIM

if I win the lotto.:biggrin:

TIM we miss you buddy

I think I am gonna donate an NSX to TIM

if I win the lotto.:biggrin:

Shawn if there is anyone that I would like to see win the lotto, besides me that is (of course I don't play), it is YOU!!! Please start playing - I'm pulling for you!!!

Thanks ole buddy, nice to know I'm missed.....:wink:

Say how are your builds going? I guess I gotta check on that...

Later dude...

Back