• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX is out. HSC will come...next year...

whiteNSXs said:
This HSC does not look bad. Trim out the racing stuffs, you got a pretty curvy road car. I'll bite.
Steve

I will take one as is, just one color please, not the 2-tone. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

White92 said:
I know I wish it were true. And maybe it's just me, but it doesn't sound too crazy. When the HSC was first introduce. Some pretty large threats, statements, whatever were made directly from Honda. Maybe they realized they needed a new engine to back those up.
Me too. I have absolutely no idea what Honda will do, however, I do hope they come out with something worthwhile. I'm not sure yet if I want a $60-$70K Corvette/Porsche killer, or if I want a $100K exotic. If it were a $60K car, I probably could get one sooner than later which is always a good thing. If it were a $100K exotic, I'll have to follow the same road as my current NSX and save every penny for many years to afford a used one :redface: Surely it would make achieve the goal that much better, but I'll have to wait on the side lines again for quite a while :frown:

White92 said:
Yes, but would you really want a tweaked version of the same V-8 truck engine? I can already hear the press laughing at the fact that the new halo car from Honda has a truck engine in it. Even if the car blows everything else out of the water, they will still take jabs at that.

The Ford GT40 uses an engine lifted from a truck, and Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) raved about how it sounded... so if Ford can do it, so could Honda.

Personally, if Honda wants the HSC to be a supercar, it has to go after the big fish -- and to do that it needs at least 450hp to be considered a 430-beater or 500hp to be up there with the lambo's.

Anything less than 450hp, it becomes an "NSX evolution" and that will probably stunt sales more than anything.

NeoNSX said:
The Ford GT40 uses an engine lifted from a truck, and Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) raved about how it sounded... so if Ford can do it, so could Honda.

Personally, if Honda wants the HSC to be a supercar, it has to go after the big fish -- and to do that it needs at least 450hp to be considered a 430-beater or 500hp to be up there with the lambo's.

Anything less than 450hp, it becomes an "NSX evolution" and that will probably stunt sales more than anything.

Isnt the Viper a truck engine as well?

White92 said:
Yes, but would you really want a tweaked version of the same V-8 truck engine? I can already hear the press laughing at the fact that the new halo car from Honda has a truck engine in it. Even if the car blows everything else out of the water, they will still take jabs at that. I won't care though as long as the car performs and lives up to it's heritage.

If Honda does jump into the V-8 realm, do you think they'll make 2 completely different V-8 engines? One for the SUV's and another for it's sports cars? I don't see it happening. What do you guys think?

If I'm not mistaken, the V-10 in the Viper was originally being developed for truck duty. Noone is laughing at 500 HP today

The truck engine issue:
Even if Honda used a truck block, it's not like they're going to keep the same low compression pistons and cast rods. No, they will change it to forged hi-comp pistons, TI rods, built up and ready to race with a head made for killing the competition! It won't be a truck engine anymore. :biggrin:

The cost issue:
Back in '91, the NSX sold for close to $100K. The value of a dollar in '91 was far more than its value 15 years later. If a comparable (price compared to date) NSX replacement is released, I think we can expect for it to cost a great deal more than $100K.

My .02,
Dave

Based on the body style, I highly doubt it will be in the 60K range. It might be competing with the Lexus LFA (which is estimated to be 100K range). I take the HSC over the Lexus anyday. Whatever they are going to decide, they probably don't want a downside affect on their current product lines. Decision..decision..decision.

Everytime when they release the newer generation of the Integra, I have always wonder why not create a body style like the NSX and sell it for 25k? Could they design such a car? Sure...why not..but they don't.

wow..that's a beautiful picture:

If you put a 350Z or even the C06 next to the HSC, it's so obvious that HSC look is in a league of it's own.... It should be sitting next to a Ferarri side by side.

whiteNSXs said:
This HSC does not look bad. Trim out the racing stuffs, you got a pretty curvy road car. I'll bite.
Steve

I've always like the front end of the HSC. The back is a little iffy for me, but over all the car is nice and very exotic looking. If Honda comes out with the HSC and has performance that equals the Lexus' LF-A, it will be a success. I really don't care if it has the same HP as long as it can perform just as well. Next to the LF-A, the HSC looks like it is in the exotic car class, while the LF-A just looks like a hot sports car.

tochigidream said:
The cost issue:
Back in '91, the NSX sold for close to $100K. The value of a dollar in '91 was far more than its value 15 years later. If a comparable (price compared to date) NSX replacement is released, I think we can expect for it to cost a great deal more than $100K.

My .02,
Dave

That is not right. Back in 91, the NSX MSRP was around $60K. People were willing to pay $100K to get one because they were new and the HOT thing to own. That is certainly not the case these days and probably wouldn't we with the HSC either.

I wish they would tell us something, im sooooo sick of waiting! I love my NSX and wont sell it but i want the HSC, i was so close to pulling the trigger on the Gallardo but talk of the HSC has put the Lambo on hold. HONDA tell us SOMETHING :mad:

NetViper said:
That is not right. Back in 91, the NSX MSRP was around $60K. People were willing to pay $100K to get one because they were new and the HOT thing to own. That is certainly not the case these days and probably wouldn't we with the HSC either.

You're right.. my post was misleading. I was referring to what people paid, not MSRP.
I believe that if the NSX replacement (not necessarily the HSC) is as huge a milestone as the NSX was when released, then we can expect to pay a great deal more than the price-tag, which I assume would be far more than $100K.

Just my .02,
Dave

I am very interested in the HSC. I'd probably wait to buy one until a special version came out (Zanardi or some such other option). My one concern is who would service this car? Honda/Acura don't seem to be able to handle the special issues that would come up from a car that is so different from the rest of the fleet.

So, how would they assure owners that service would be at the level the buyer would demand?

By the way, I've owned the F cars for 30 years...amazing service, but always the price to match.

Harpoon said:
I am very interested in the HSC. I'd probably wait to buy one until a special version came out (Zanardi or some such other option). My one concern is who would service this car? Honda/Acura don't seem to be able to handle the special issues that would come up from a car that is so different from the rest of the fleet.

So, how would they assure owners that service would be at the level the buyer would demand?

By the way, I've owned the F cars for 30 years...amazing service, but always the price to match.

About servicing:

The service manuals Honda provides are of a very high level compared to most other car manufacturers. They describe every step unlike other car manufacteres do.
I've seen a certified NSX mechanic work on my car, and believe me, this dude is never touching my NSX again.
The NSX was considered very special (and still is), but if you take the gearbox apart, its not much different from another Honda. And so is every part i take of my car.

Servicing a car comes down to commen sence and good information.
The latter is provided by Honda, the first one seems to be a major problem, at dealers, and at other car-garages.

Mich

start.html
whiteNSXs said:
Steve
looks like a supra to me.

willabeest said:
start.html

looks like a supra to me.

SUPRA?! that does not look like a fat pig of a supra, which is also a hatch/fastback.

definitely does not look like a supra.....what are you smoking??? :smile:

Not sure how this fits into the rumour mill but....

Honda have been doing extensive testing of their 2006 V8 F1 engine lately...

I wonder if this will have any connection to the HSC...

In theory, 2xS2000 motors arranged in a V configuration will have around 500hp and a 9000RPM redline...mmmmmmmmm

specrtd said:
Ya, that looks cool, but to me that looks like a rice rocket of a car.....Different tastes I guess. That motor is no rice rocket though :smile:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=319284

they both look like rice rockets.
i dislike the look of the corvette also cause it looks like detroit iron. the viper is way overdone especially in red.
BMW and Porsche have distinct styles that look good to me.
Lotus Ferrari Lambos also.
i guess what bothers me is that Honda is getting away from the italian look and getting more to the japanese look.
Not that there is anything wrong with that!
i like the NSX better though.

Back