• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX not starting

Hi All, I started my 91NSX for my weekend drive and everything was great but when I got to the end of the driveway I turn it off to run back in the house. When I tried to start it again, it wouldn't start. The battery is new and it cranks but doesn't fire up, it has gas and i ohmed out the coils. : ( I'll try any and all suggestions...Help

Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key on? If not, check the main relay and fuel pump resistor.

I tried to listen for the fuel pump but couldn't tell cause of the beeping. I do hear the main relay clicking when i turn the key to the on position. I'll check those out, thanks

I tried to listen for the fuel pump but couldn't tell cause of the beeping. I do hear the main relay clicking when i turn the key to the on position. I'll check those out, thanks

Be sure your door is shut and the seat belt is fastened so there is no beeping...

I checked the Main relay and works fine. I do not hear the fuel pump kicking on. Thanks Big D, closing the door and fastening the seat belt helped with the beeping. So, the fuel pump is not kicking in, and I noticed that my air climate control display is not on and I cant turn it on or off. All too weird. Any more suggestions?

I've had some issues like that too, where you start it up, turn it off shortly after, and start it up again shortly after that.

i just waited a like... 15 seconds. pumped the clutch a few times. It fired right up after that.

I checked the Main relay and works fine. I do not hear the fuel pump kicking on. Thanks Big D, closing the door and fastening the seat belt helped with the beeping. So, the fuel pump is not kicking in, and I noticed that my air climate control display is not on and I cant turn it on or off. All too weird. Any more suggestions?

Climate Control Units are known to fail so we send them to member BrianK and he reconditions them with new capacitors. There are instructions that are posted on his website which he has a link in is signature.

I purchased a Main relay and replaced it and reset the ignitor with no change. Anymore thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone think it might be the ECU?

Sounds like the clutch pedal ignition switch. You can easily check this by bypassing the switch on your clutch pedal. Do this by putting a jumper wire across the connector(made of two wires) while you turn the key. NOTE: THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR CAR TO START WITHOUT PRESSING IN THE CLUTCH SO BE CAREFUL

This happened to me this summer, stranded me at blockbuster. The cheap plastic tab that closes the switch when you press the clutch down broke. So my car couldnt tell that I was pressing the clutch in and would not let me start it.

Sounds like the clutch pedal ignition switch. You can easily check this by bypassing the switch on your clutch pedal. Do this by putting a jumper wire across the connector(made of two wires) while you turn the key. NOTE: THIS WILL ALLOW YOUR CAR TO START WITHOUT PRESSING IN THE CLUTCH SO BE CAREFUL

This happened to me this summer, stranded me at blockbuster. The cheap plastic tab that closes the switch when you press the clutch down broke. So my car couldnt tell that I was pressing the clutch in and would not let me start it.

I don't think the engine would crank if the pedal switch was bad.

You should be hearing the Fuel Pump for a couple of seconds when you turn the key "ON".

It will turn off and await for you to start the car.

Agreed with a few above. I would replace the main relay or you can take it apart and look at the soldering. Honda relays go bad check the circuit board when you take it out and look at the solder. You might be able to resolder it and fix it without getting a new one.

EDIT: NVM I just read that you did replace it.. hmmm

Its a module located near the throttle body that switched power to the coils to fire the spark plugs. Its the electronic equivlent to points if you had 6 of them.

Thanks Briank. All the posts I've read and never seen a mention of an ignitor until I read this. It must not go bad very often. Still learning alot about car mechanics.

How would he check the fuel pump resistor? Where would that be located? Perhaps that is the issue that he is facing? From what I read, it seems that is the only thing that he hasn't checked so far?

No luck so far. I pulled each individual fuse out and visually checked them as well as checked them for continuity. I checked the fuel pump resistor by disconnecting it from the harness and connecting a jumper wire and also checked the fuel pump relay. I believe the clutch switch is working cause it cranks when in press the pedal and doesn't when I don't. Thanks for the suggestions.

Let's back up for a minute.

You said you replaced the main relay.

Can you now sit in the car with the door closed, seat belt on, radio off(so you can hear) and confirm that when the key is turned to "ON" position that you hear the fuel pump "hmm" for 2 seconds and then stop.

Sulley

Back