• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Performance In Cold Weather Conditions

Driving my NSX lately here in CA. The day time temps have been in the mid to high 50's with lots of moisture in the air (fog). I really think the NSX engine performs best in dry warm weather. Not to mention the long warm-up time the engine takes (i.e. 30 minutes to get the "bugs" out).

All you in the midwest and east locations must really relate to what I am saying here.

I just don't think the NSX performs well in cold weather conditions....is it just me?

97-T #009 @ 21K

The drivetrain runs fine in cooler weather. However, high-performance tires are generally designed to work well at warmer temperatures. In fact, I believe the NSX owner's manual explicitly recommends against using the OEM tires in cold-weather temperatures. Which, of course, is why the tire manufacturers make winter tires. (That, plus some northern areas used to get snow and ice, many years ago.
biggrin.gif
)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The drivetrain runs fine in cooler weather. However, high-performance tires are generally designed to work well at warmer temperatures.
biggrin.gif
)

I will agree with that. I have OEM tires on my NSX and this is my first winter with the car. I drove it to work on a sunny but cold (low 20's) day and the tires definitely needed some time to warm up. When I first took off, the rear tires had no grip at all. It really surprised me. I was fine coming out of the garage in the morning. It was the drive home after the car had been outside all day that I noticed the poor traction. So, if you drive in cold weather with OEM tires, be careful.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
9000 miles
No Mods

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 12 January 2002).]

Traveling from FL to NY in wintertime, the shocks on the car become very stiff in the cold. There has to be something like a 100% difference in how a cold NSX shock and a warm one perform.

NSX4U2:

Not sure what you mean by "30 minutes to get the bugs out"--my '93 seems to run smooth/strong from the beginning with a warm or cold start, or in warm or cool ambient temps.

aside from the tires, already mentioned, my nsx has been running fine in 30degree weather. of course, i havent been using the whip either.:)

im curious about the warmup time i;ve heard mentioned before. my nsx is warming up in 5min or less, and i dont flog it until the engine temp reaches midrange. is that everyones experience?

The car does not warm up from a cold start in 5 minutes, especially when it is 30 degrees ambient temp.

Your WATER temp is the only thing that reaches the mid-point in 5 minutes because it is operating in closed circulation mode (only part of the coolant is circulating through the engine). Your oil is still far from operating temp in 5 minutes.

It takes a good 15-20 minutes to fully warm up everything up even in warm weather. Give it a little more time when it is cold. You should try to avoid "flogging" the car until then.

thanks for the advice, lud.

thankfully i havent been hitting it hard until after 10-15 mins, and not past 7k rpm until 20min, so no harm done. without your advice im sure i would have gotten arount to it:)

While on this topic,I need some advice. I have a 97 and notice when temp is 50ish or below my 2nd gear tends to grind for the first minute of driving. When warm outside or after very short time this stops. Does it sound like a syncro problem? Lube problem? Clutch seems fine but?? Any ideas appreciated. It's sometimes hard to get an item fixed when you cant find the starting point. Thanks.

Originally posted by Roadrunner:
While on this topic,I need some advice. I have a 97 and notice when temp is 50ish or below my 2nd gear tends to grind for the first minute of driving. When warm outside or after very short time this stops. Does it sound like a syncro problem? Lube problem? Clutch seems fine but?? Any ideas appreciated. It's sometimes hard to get an item fixed when you cant find the starting point. Thanks.

This is a common and much discussed issue in cold climates. It generally is not a sign of any problem, but if it is significant at temperatures above 40, you might be suspicious of the transmission oil. If you bought the car used and have not changed it, do so now just you know what's in it. Some debate on what to use, but you can't go wrong with the factory choice, Honda MTL. If the temp gets well below freezing you may find that it gets quite bad.

Since we are at it... I drive to work every other day on my NSX. The outside temperature is about 30.F now but my car sleeps in a heated underground garage. My drive to work is about 15 minutes... do you see any problem with it? Will this hurt the engine/exhaust/other...? Should I switch the car on 2-3min before driving?

Gheba:

Believe that the owner's manual says something to the effect of "it is rarely necessary to warm the car more than 30 seconds after starting".

A 15-minute drive should be fine. I would just keep the revs moderate. (It will keep the revs from going over 7100 rpm for the first half of the drive anyway.)

There is no need to warm the car up in advance, as long as you drive the car gently for the first 10-15 minutes.

Perfect, I only rev it up to 6500-7500 only in the last three minutes
biggrin.gif
I have a BIG empty straight before arriving at work. The first 10-13 minutes I do never drive above 4000 rpm!

So no concern in commuting during winter to work and leaving the car parked again till 5:00pm? (of course during the comeback I drive at 7500 during the first 2 minutes and then slowly until home! eh eh... only kidding
wink.gif
)

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
Driving my NSX lately here in CA. The day time temps have been in the mid to high 50's with lots of moisture in the air (fog). I really think the NSX engine performs best in dry warm weather. Not to mention the long warm-up time the engine takes (i.e. 30 minutes to get the "bugs" out)

All you in the midwest and east locations must really relate to what I am saying here.

I just don't think the NSX performs well in cold weather conditions....is it just me?

97-T #009 @ 21K

Yeah Well, I drive my NSX all year---now she has Mich. Snow ice high speed tires ( 150kph max). This is a fantastic snow ice car! The Traction control etc works beatifully. I do my best driving in winter--great fun. We have little salt here and i avoid slushy days. Last weekend it was -15C ( as low as i go for a drive)and the car is great then. Takes longer to warm up of course. We Canucks use 'block heaters' in our engines to ensure warm oil on cold days. Actually i use this ALL YEAR so i always have a warm engine to start ( 2hrs SR 4-5 hrs WR). I suggest you warmer clime guys consider such a block heater for your winters, mild as they may be---a cold engine is a cold engine!
I have noted no loss of power or performance at -15C. Cheers KIWI

This is a fantastic snow ice car!

As long as it's not too deep. Because the front air dam doesn't make all that great a plow, ay?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
This is a fantastic snow ice car!

As long as it's not too deep. Because the front air dam doesn't make all that great a plow, ay?

Absolutely! I am saved by not being an idiot, and there being little depth of snow here in the prairies. Remarkably in this northern country the roads are ploughed when there IS snow, and the highway design ensures that snow is whipped across the highways and does not build-up. Smart eh! Oh the winter tires are 250kph category allowing 160kph cruising through the winter wonderland. Don't park your NSXs, IN THE WINTER RAIN, as many do, these are tough and beautiful cars ( Oh! the aluminum construction helps in the fight against rust). Cheers----KIWICanuck

Originally posted by KIWIManson:

Yeah Well, I drive my NSX all year---now she has Mich. Snow ice high speed tires ( 150kph max). This is a fantastic snow ice car! The Traction control etc works beatifully. I do my best driving in winter--great fun. We have little salt here and i avoid slushy days. Last weekend it was -15C ( as low as i go for a drive)and the car is great then. Takes longer to warm up of course. We Canucks use 'block heaters' in our engines to ensure warm oil on cold days. Actually i use this ALL YEAR so i always have a warm engine to start ( 2hrs SR 4-5 hrs WR). I suggest you warmer clime guys consider such a block heater for your winters, mild as they may be---a cold engine is a cold engine!
I have noted no loss of power or performance at -15C. Cheers KIWI

Gotta hand it to ya....I am impressed. And i thought 50's was cold...

Back