• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX prices falling???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
5 June 2000
Messages
775
Location
Cypress, Texas USA
I saw this and wondered how many 91 NSXs are being picked up for under $20k.
http://www.consumerguide.com/index.cfm?act=auto&main=detail&body= ../autochannel/vehicledetail/price27464&vml=

Lately I've been sadden to see fellow NSX owners devaluing their cars by posting wholesale #s or low retail #s for salvaged cars. This does nothing to help current owners and future new 02, 03... owners.

For what the NSX is, an engineering marvel and design par excellence, I think the value of the NSX should be holding up much better than it is currently. Maybe the NSX community needs to think more carefully about positioning the value of our cars otherwise some of us will just move on to the prancing horses.

Ciao.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 21 February 2002).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 June 2000
Messages
1,188
Location
Lauderdale by the Sea, FL, USA
If you were in my head, you couldn't have spoken my thoughts any better, Hal!!!! This is exactly how exotic car markets drop. Their owners do it!!! A car so limited as the NSX and so techologically dominant should and will hold it's value if we'd just let it. I'm already looking into the prancing horses as I feel that our cars are being turned from rare, expensive, classy exotics into everyday, cheap punkass racers. ARGH


By the way, those prices listed are of course, ridiculous. It's not that bad yet but it's heading that way with each repaint and every bolt on body kit that gets screwed into the car.

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 21 February 2002).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
12 March 2001
Messages
12,068
By the way, those prices listed are of course, ridiculous. It's not that bad yet but it's heading that way with each repaint and every bolt on body kit that gets screwed into the car.

This is why I have kept my car factory original. I believe that the value will hold up for the unmolested cars. As for the values listed they are way out of whack. I would love to know where they can get a timing belt done for 510 dollars. I also know of no one that has had to replace their radiator. Where are they getting this information???
 

jag

Contributing Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
6 May 2001
Messages
112
Location
MN
These prices are unrealistic. Almost everything below a 99 could move up a bracket or two at the very least. This publication is doing more to damage the resale of NSX than anything by putting out unrealistic pricing that would not stand the test of time even in a despressed economy. If that is the true value... I think maybe we should each buy another and corner the market.


------------------
jag 95T
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
3 February 2002
Messages
1,535
Location
PA
I wouldn't be too worried about that, honestly. Look at the Viper; it's the same thing. They have the starting price for a 1992 Viper listed at $13k.

These types of lists basically just do a continual depreciation formula; there's no thought going into their pricing. The Supra guys complain about this all the time.

One thing about the prancing horses, though, is that they don't even show up in these kinds of lists. That has to feel pretty good
smile.gif
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 December 2001
Messages
1,065
Location
lee's summit mo 64064
this is really interesting. as a newbie i hadnt/didnt consider it this way but what youre saying makes a lot of sense....

turning a great value for the money ferrari type car into a top end mustang alternative type car....

man, i still dont see the nsx dropping dramatically in value though. the basic platform seems to me to be the basis of value. hope im right...

even my mustang owner friends realize the value of a rebuilt nsx.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
3 February 2002
Messages
1,535
Location
PA
Short of a badly damaged car, no one will be able to find a 91 at those ridiculous prices anyway.

You can find complete salvage job late 80's Ferraris for $19k too, but I don't really see that as devaluing the brand.

As long as pristine examples are still holding their value and selling, things are ok. 91's and 92's will always take a bit more of a value beating, though, since those were the heaviest production years.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
15 January 2001
Messages
130
Location
San Diego, CA
The way I look at is that the 91 to 96 NSX's are priced in the same range as a 308 Ferrari and the 97 and up are priced with the 328 and 348 Ferrari's. We all know that the NSX is a better value, more bang for the buck. I do believe that the these Ferrari prices will keep the NSX prices from falling too far.

The two things that can cause NSX prices to fall are cars that are not taken care of and beat up, and high mileage cars.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
26 June 2000
Messages
1,188
Location
Lauderdale by the Sea, FL, USA
We have to realize just how rare our cars are. I mean, less than 6,000 total on the road in the U.S. for all years totalled. Think about that. That's WAY less than any 308/328/348/355 etc....... If there are only a couple hundred for each year, the value can be seriously affected by just defacing a few.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
Originally posted by Nsxotic:
We have to realize just how rare our cars are. I mean, less than 6,000 total on the road in the U.S. for all years totalled.

It's around 8,000.

BTW, I know people who are still looking and unable to find a well-maintained NSX for under $30K with five-speed, clean title, moderate (<75K) mileage, and no accident history. If the contention of this topic is that prices are falling dramatically, it just isn't true for the older ones. Even the '95-96's seem to be holding up. The '97's are a different story.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
21 February 2001
Messages
1,802
Location
High Point, NC
That whole page is a joke. Did you see the cons section. Gas Mileage? I guess getting 28-30 mpg with the air on averaging 85mph on I-85 north is bad gas mileage. I get around 20 mpg consistently around town, and half of my driving is near or above 4500rpm (increased fuel pressure range). Ride comfort? This car rides better than 65% of the non luxo types out there, and sometimes rides and well as my LS400. Geez!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
No, that's what was produced in the U.S.

Actually, that's what was sold in the U.S. They're all produced in Japan.
biggrin.gif


There are less than 6k left.

You're saying that over 25 percent of NSX's have been crashed (totalled and not restored) or stolen? I find that hard to believe.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
5 June 2000
Messages
775
Location
Cypress, Texas USA
Originally posted by nsxtasy:
No, that's what was produced in the U.S.

Actually, that's what was sold in the U.S. They're all produced in Japan.
biggrin.gif


There are less than 6k left.

You're saying that over 25 percent of NSX's have been crashed (totalled and not restored) or stolen? I find that hard to believe.

Actually I don't it's that far fetched with the number I've seen crashed locally in the last 2 years and I live in a low NSX density area. I wonder if there's anyway to really find out.

It's amazing how many peoeple don't realize how few 95+ NSXs there really are in the US. It's a lot easier to find 91 - 93 but then after that it starts getting difficult. That is if you're not plugged into the nsxprime and the net. Maybe that's why most people think it's a vette.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
17 December 2001
Messages
71
Location
Portland, Or
Hejo -

I am with you on this one. How many people in our area have had accidents:

Eddie N - 91 - Friend crashed for him...
Me - 91 - Rear Ended / Totaled at stoplight
Silver Car in Vancouver - 91? - Rear Ended as well.

Ouch!

Makes me want to put push bars / nerf bars on the car like my Blazer!
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
18 February 2002
Messages
150
Location
Austin, Texas
I concur with the high number of crashed NSXs out there. When I bought my car, I took it to the dealer for a full inspection, and the first he said after looking under the hood was: "Wow...its actually never been wrecked." He said he sees tons of wrecked NSXs all the time.

BTW - For any of you Austin, TX people out there, I highly recommend Scott the mechanic at David McDavid Acura. He let me watch him in the back and explained everything he was doing. Apparently the Bobby guy people at this forum have mentioned left a while ago.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
12 March 2001
Messages
12,068
Originally posted by hejo:
Actually I don't it's that far fetched with the number I've seen crashed locally in the last 2 years and I live in a low NSX density area. I wonder if there's anyway to really find out.

It's amazing how many peoeple don't realize how few 95+ NSXs there really are in the US. It's a lot easier to find 91 - 93 but then after that it starts getting difficult. That is if you're not plugged into the nsxprime and the net. Maybe that's why most people think it's a vette.

I search the net quite often looking for wrecked repairables. I have posted on this forum some of the finds I have found. I would say that the amount of wrecked NSX's is higher than 25%. I see at least one different NSX wrecked per week. Of course this dose not mean that the car is salvage branded. BTW I search around twenty sites everyday.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
Originally posted by steveny:
I search the net quite often looking for wrecked repairables. I have posted on this forum some of the finds I have found. I would say that the amount of wrecked NSX's is higher than 25%. I see at least one different NSX wrecked per week. Of course this dose not mean that the car is salvage branded. BTW I search around twenty sites everyday.

Just because you see a lot of wrecked NSX's for sale doesn't mean that they are a representative sample of all NSX's. Wrecked NSX's are the least appealing and are the ones most likely to change hands frequently. Ones in nice shape that are lovingly cared for just don't change hands. But almost ALL the wrecked ones change hands at least once, and probably over and over. So it's natural that they would constitute a much higher percentage of the cars up for sale at any given time, than their actual percentage of all NSX's.

Unless you're saying that you've seen 2,000 different wrecked NSX's that are for sale.

And, of course, since these are being offered for sale, these are a SEPARATE 2,000 from the 2,000 that are no longer on the road or being sold, according to Todd.

I don't buy it. Yes, there are some that have been totalled and some that have been wrecked and repaired, but I find these percentages highly doubtful.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if 25 percent of the cars have had at least MINOR damage of one sort or another, such as a dented fender that's been repaired, that sort of thing. But I don't consider those to be "wrecked".

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 February 2002).]
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
12 March 2001
Messages
12,068
Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Just because you see a lot of wrecked NSX's for sale doesn't mean that they are a representative sample of all NSX's. Wrecked NSX's are the least appealing and are the ones most likely to change hands frequently. Ones in nice shape that are lovingly cared for just don't change hands. But almost ALL the wrecked ones change hands at least once, and probably over and over. So it's natural that they would constitute a much higher percentage of the cars up for sale at any given time, than their actual percentage of all NSX's.

Unless you're saying that you've seen 2,000 different wrecked NSX's that are for sale.

And, of course, since these are being offered for sale, these are a SEPARATE 2,000 from the 2,000 that are no longer on the road or being sold, according to Todd.

I don't buy it. Yes, there are some that have been totalled and some that have been wrecked and repaired, but I find these percentages highly doubtful.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if 25 percent of the cars have had at least MINOR damage of one sort or another, such as a dented fender that's been repaired, that sort of thing. But I don't consider those to be "wrecked".

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 February 2002).]

Very true about the dented fender cars. I however see at least one different car per month wrecked this bad.
http://casmiami.com/autoseek/acura/000003/P0015299.jpg

So that is a minimum of 12 cars a year that I am finding. I am sure that there are others that I do no find as well. Add in the cars that are wrecked and repaired by the owner or body shop, i.e.. not run through a insurance company. Then there are the ones like Blurr had. BTW I find at least three times as many wrecked Ferraris. I have not been able to find a wrecked Esprit as of yet.
What the real question is how many will be left in circulation 10 years from now, and how many of those cars will be in excellent condition.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
23 October 2000
Messages
13,885
Location
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by nsxtasy:
However, it wouldn't surprise me if 25 percent of the cars have had at least MINOR damage of one sort or another, such as a dented fender that's been repaired, that sort of thing. But I don't consider those to be "wrecked".

B]


And it just so happens that those are all the same ones that I look at buying!



------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
3 February 2002
Messages
1,535
Location
PA
steveny,

Are you, by any chance, saving the pics and/or noting the Vins of those cars?

It would be awesome if your findings could be integrated into the "totalled" section of the FAQ...
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
12 March 2001
Messages
12,068
Originally posted by spookyp:
steveny,

Are you, by any chance, saving the pics and/or noting the Vins of those cars?

It would be awesome if your findings could be integrated into the "totalled" section of the FAQ...

I have not been saving them in the past. However I have sent at least one maybe more to Lud. Usually the salvage yards do not post the vin# with the car, so it would be fruitless to just send pics to Lud. If Lud wants me to I will send him cars that I find with a vin# or any for that matter. I too would like to compile a list of damaged cars somewhere to help anyone looking for a pristine condition car. I know I spent a long time finding mine and looked at a lot of junk in the process. Ken has a really valid point about average cars trading hands a lot as I have seen four cars that I looked at over 2 years ago change hands again, 2 on ebay.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
4 February 2000
Messages
27,000
Location
Chicago IL
And it just so happens that those are all the same ones that I look at buying!

Unfortunately, if you look at those in the lowest price range - and, even worse, if you look at those in the lowest price range with a five-speed and without extremely high mileage on them - that's what you're going to find. The well-kept ones get snapped up right away at a below-market price. Heck, the well-kept ones get snapped up pretty quickly at a fair market price, too.

However, I gotta believe that if you're willing to pay a fair price - say, $33K for a superclean '91 - you can find one fairly easily. Your problem is that you're expecting to find a superclean one for the price of a wrecked one, and that's not very likely.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 February 2002).]
 
Top