• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Superbowl Ad

http://www.autoweek.com/article/201...-studded_Super_Bowl&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

By: Mark Rechtin, Automotive News on 1/30/2012
Related Articles

An Acura spot--the first Super Bowl appearance for the brand--will feature comedian Jerry Seinfeld going to ridiculous lengths to bribe the man who holds the rights to the first 2015 Acura NSX supercar.

Meanwhile, Matthew Broderick will reprise his role as high school truant Ferris Bueller, calling in sick to an acting gig and spending the day gallivanting in a Honda CR-V crossover (check out the Ferris Bueller spot here).

Both commercials will have 30-second versions that will run on TV through spring, as well as links to social media and "Easter egg" prize hunts. Outtakes and extended versions will run online on Honda's YouTube channel.

Honda is trying to drive traffic to Honda and Acura Web sites and showrooms desperate to rebound from last year's earthquake-related inventory shortages.

"We want to entertain an audience, engage them into the brand and generate buzz and excitement," said Mike Accavitti, American Honda's chief marketing officer. "The ads convey the product, message and brand in a memorable way to our target in a relevant way. That's what you want."

In the CR-V spot, Broderick calls in sick to his agent, then spends the day avoiding him while driving a CR-V between a roller-coaster ride, a museum tour and--you guessed it--singing in a parade.

The spot highlights the CR-V's Bluetooth hands-free connectivity, as well as a true test of the suspension that fans of Ferris Bueller's Day Off will appreciate.

The spot was directed by Todd Phillips, known for his work on The Hangover and Old School. The backing music for the spot, of course, is "Oh Yeah," by Yello.

"Ferris' whole thing was to smell the roses because life moves pretty fast," Accavitti said. "While many of our competitors are suggesting people use cars to escape life, we're saying, 'Go embrace it, have some fun.'"

In that sense, the Bueller spot is consistent with the mainstream CR-V campaign's "leap list," showing young adults following their dreams before they settle down to married life, Accavitti said.

The Acura spot shows Seinfeld attempting, repeatedly, to bribe the ordinary customer who is first in line to buy the NSX.

Seinfeld starts by offering $20. In escalating fashion he then offers the man the Soup Nazi, "the last living munchkin," dirty limericks at a family dinner, a space alien and his cigarette racing boat--all without success. Finally, upon being offered access to Seinfeld's private zip line through Manhattan, the man relents. Only Jay Leno appears in a "jet-pack flying-squirrel suit" and wins the man's rights to the NSX.

While using celebrities can be dicey in car advertising, Seinfeld and Leno are car collectors, which adds legitimacy to the commercial, Accavitti said.

"This is unprecedented time in our history," he said. "We needed to get Acura noticed."

Citing the world debuts of the NSX, ILX sedan and RDX crossover at the Detroit auto show, Accavitti added: "We had the big bang in Detroit. We wanted to leverage that."

The Acura spot will run during the third quarter. The Honda spot will run at the end of the third quarter.

Both spots were created by longtime American Honda agency Rubin Postaer and are a change of pace from the years of pedestrian work from the shop.

"We had to free them, empower them and let them come up with some new ideas," Accavitti said.

"I've known they were capable of it. You can't coerce creativity out of people. This is not about putting hands around someone's neck and saying, 'You better be creative.'"

The Acura spot was directed by Craig Gillespie, known for the Snickers "Betty White" spot, in which the 90-year-old comedian appears to be slammed to the turf. Accavitti said that Seinfeld contributed substantial creative assistance in the final cut.

Comedian had input

"Jerry knew we were trying to sell cars," Accavitti said. "He wouldn't infringe on our brand, but we listened to the guy. The concept was by RPA, and Jerry helped tune it up. The alien thing was complete improv. The zip line was his idea."

Accavitti said the Super Bowl is worth the cost.

"Everything we do, we measure and analyze," he said. "So while Super Bowl ads are expensive endeavors, the reach you get, if done correctly, the lead-up and long-tail follow-up takes the [cost-per-million viewers] down below normal TV levels."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120130/CARNEWS/120139998#ixzz1kyWuyA00

Its on You Tube and unreal! Even a Leno cameo

Last edited:
Are they really going to shell out the cash for a 2 minute Super Bowl slot for a car that isn't coming out till 2015? I'm no marketing expert but I question if the juice is worth the squeeze on that one this far out.

The nsx commercial isn't to sell the nsx it's to bring attention to acura and sell more cars. The nsx isn't being made so acura can make money selling it, it's to bring in buyers into the showroom and buy a rdx or whatever acura sells.

I cant believe this commercial will be played during the super bowl. I cant wait.

First off, amazing commercial, hats off to Acura for getting two super famous car guys! BUT... They paid how much for Seinfeld and Leno and they could not even put an interior into the car? Something is fundamentally wrong here. I understand the idea is to add brand cache to Acura and has nothing to do with the NSX but come on.

Absolutely ExcitinG!!

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s9aW8uFtgeI?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s9aW8uFtgeI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I thought Jerry was a 911 lover. I do agree that more car would be better. The interior would be good to see but i hate those commercials that give a super slow mow of the interior ( Lincoln and Benz come to mind). I'd rather see it speeding through the city or around the track, and yes those have been over done as well.

meh - needs less Seinfeld and more car. Not that impressed
This is a very cynical response.

I may be in the minority here but, for those of us who support Honda completely and have a Love affair with the NSX, I personally think this commercial is a great step in the right direction. Honda obviously had to spend many millions for this advertisement. IMHO, most people will remember this commercial for the Seinfeld references and the car-brand 2nd. I think it was really well done.

Yes - it could have included more of the car but it's as-if Honda is giving a small "taste", leaving us wanting more but - glad they are advertising the NSX on the biggest stage. (so-to-speak).

Way to go Honda! :)

Was just coming to post this and its already here! Lol. You guys dont miss a beat!

Where are those guys that keep saying it won't be made? Where are you?

Great commercial but the fine print in it reads:
"Concept vehicles shown. Actual models may vary. NSX projected debut in next three years. Dates subject to change."

Acura is giving itself all the ways out with that statement... I think the entire reason for this commercial is to bring attention to the Acura brand.. not to sell the NSX.
Still hoping for the NSX though.. :redface:

Great commercial but the fine print in it reads:
"Concept vehicles shown. Actual models may vary. NSX projected debut in next three years. Dates subject to change."

Acura is giving itself all the ways out with that statement... I think the entire reason for this commercial is to bring attention to the Acura brand.. not to sell the NSX.
Still hoping for the NSX though.. :redface:

Thats to prevent someone from suing them when it comes out with smaller than 20" wheels and has "regular" head lights. Acura is of course bringing more attention to the brand but they didnt spend millions of dollars to air this super bowl ad thats says "Acura NSX.....its coming" to not release it.

I personally think this commercial is a great step in the right direction.
It is fine that you personally feel that way, I don't.

I think the new NSX is exciting and interesting. The dual hybrid drives are inventive and could lead to some interesting drive dynamics. The theme of performance and ecological responsibility that Takanobu Ito stated at the Detroit auto show is also an interesting message and one that resonates with many of the "I want my cake and eat it too" environmentalists that pepper the US consumer landscape.

None of that however was in the commercial. Instead, we find Jerry Seinfeld trying to convince the world that he isn't a has been and can still make people laugh. 90% of the commercial tells you nothing about the vehicle.

Perhaps I simply don't like building demand for demand's sake. The idea that I should want it because other people want it doesn't do it for me. I want to want it because of reasons A, B & C. Tell me why this car is going to be great. They did that with the first NSX - the message was simple, this is a Ferrari that you will actually want to own and can actually realistically drive. It wasn't "buy it because famous people desire it", it was "buy it because YOU will desire it".

On the most cynical side, this commercial just reinforces how much of a shell the concept car is. With such a far out delivery date, perhaps there is nothing locked in well enough to talk about. Maybe this car is just the girl in the bikini to bring people in to the dealership and nothing else. I would like to think it is something more, but this commercial with its superficial content doesn't do much to disprove that.

I would have much rather seen that big ticket price be spent on saying how cool the car is going to be. That's just me personally though.

Last edited:
That commercial is great! Going to create a buzz around the new NSX. Two well known car guys "fighting" to be the first! Sounds like the original launch back in 90' with everyone trying to be the first.

Good job Acura!

I just love this commercial! I wonder if that the real exhaust note?

Back