• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Superbowl Ad

Gotta admit that I wasn't bowled over by the unveiling of the new NSX, but the NSX in the commercial is pretty sexy. It's growing on me. Good to see Acura putting some energy into their branding.

I don't see Leno realistically driving a new NSX. Every time he turns his head to check his blind spot, the mass of his chin will throw off the delicate balance of the mid-engine design, and swing the car all over the place. Just stick with your Bugatti!

AutoTrader

Of all the cars advertised during Super Bowl XLVI, the Acura NSX sports car, which isn’t even in production yet, fetched the most attention, according to data from AutoTrader.com.

The vehicle-information company tracked consumer response to Super Bowl advertising by looking at how consumer search patterns on its site varied as the game progressed and car makers’ commercials aired. AutoTrader’s analysts were looking for “lift,” or how much of a boost in search activity each vehicle got in the hour after its ad appeared.

Searches for the Acura NSX were up 1,800%, compared with 370% for the runner-up Toyota Camry and 360% for the third-place Fiat 500. The Hyundai Veloster at 302% and Chevrolet Sonic with 275% completed the top five.

What makes a winning car spot? It’s pretty simple. Success is generally based on the ads’ creative quality, says AutoTrader chief executive Chip Perry. The ad for the Acura, which featured famous television personalities and car collectors Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno, was fun to watch and “a cliffhanger,” Perry said.

Re: AutoTrader

Searches for the Acura NSX were up 1,800%, compared with 370% for the runner-up Toyota Camry and 360% for the third-place Fiat 500. The Hyundai Veloster at 302% and Chevrolet Sonic with 275% completed the top five.

Large percentage increases are easy when you're starting with a very small number.

Leno and Seinfeld are near notorious in their disdain for Japanese cars, and Leno has on a few occasions said the original NSX just wasn't at the level of the European greats - and they get those guys to push the brand? Really?

So why not a commercial with Alex Zanardi and Jenson Button walking through an Acura lot and they stop next to a 2005 NSX in the 'used' section and this new thing, they walk around them both and say 'sold!' and then flip a coin (super bowl style) to see who gets the new one...and the guy with the old one is just as happy driving away...

Nobody who watches the SB would know who either guy was I'm afraid...maybe they could get Mario...

The purpose of a "halo" car is so people go into the showroom and go "oh, ah..." and then they turn and look at the 3 rug rats following them and the wife bitching and sign the paperwork for their RDX. :wink: They have no idea who Button is, yet alone some old hairy guy in a wheel chair. :rolleyes:

I still think they should have had a red one and put Christie Brinkley in it.... ;)

3cw55ys2fgwtgfty.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a just leave this here for those naysayers who are posting here :D.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n4JjOmfmAvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get over it. The new NSX isn't what you wanted so you know what the answer is... keep your current NSX and be happy with what you got. Let the next generation of auto enthusiasts lust over this new NSX and you stay with your old NSX and everyone is happy. Truth of the matter is cars will eventually have to evolve with the progress of time so inevitably the change of power source/delivery is gonna happen to all car makes whether we like it or not. So I say lets stop fighting the current and just go with the flow and see how it is further down the stream. :)

It was funny everyone at work was asking me what I thought about the car. I was confused at first because I had no idea what car they were asking me about but then I realized they all know I own an NSX and there was just a commercial for the NSX on Sunday, so I put it together. So far it seems like everyone I've spoken to at work has said the same thing. It's a great looking car. All are assuming over 100K for price and ask if I'm buying it. I'm like no way I wouldn't be able to afford a 100K+ car in the up coming years. I wish I could though lol.

Last edited:
Get over it. The new NSX isn't what you wanted so you know what the answer is... keep your current NSX and be happy with what you got. Let the next generation of auto enthusiasts lust over this new NSX and you stay with your old NSX and everyone is happy.

You're completely right. Part of me was really hoping for some raw machine to be produced and really just go back to the roots, I know this was highly not probable wishful thinking but I can dream, right? I was angry for a bit and then realized this is the way things are going and to deal with it.

I'm that old guy now that is into 90's-era cars because "they don't make them like they use to", just as it annoyed me when my father would tell me that in the 90's after I had fell in love with a CRX.

Fortunately there are plenty of normal NSX's to enjoy

Get over it.

Really? So hey, just 'get over' a nuclear Iran, Obama's class warfare, 12 year olds getting contraceptives in school, a down economy, less money in your wallet and your wife sleeping around on you - can't do anything about it!

Or you can at least try. I've written to Honda about the NSX, perhaps to no avail, but at least I threw my hat in the ring.

This 'halo' car thing is the part I think is of a bygone era. I've looked EXTENSIVELY at the idea of purchasing a GT-R, Ferrari's, Porsches, hell even the new McLaren - but I've never been to see any of them at their dealerships or purchased a lesser model just so I could feel I had something that had the same badge as the top model. We can do our car shopping online and until we want to go test drive it and write it up, don't need to go to dealers. How many people went to look at an LFA and bought a Prius?

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I think Acura's least expensive car is still quite pricey compared to other brands...but the quality is worth it to me. That's why I own two, but the difference between the hand made excellence of the original NSX and ANYTHING else in the showroom is so huge, does the 'halo' thing blind people into believing they are equal?

Instead of building a so called 'halo car', why not build an uncompromising car using the best materials, craftsmanship and quality to rival the worlds best and let let the world decide if its a halo or not? They don't seem to be building it for a particular market, and that's where the disconnect for me is.

Must be getting old...

Really? So hey, just 'get over' a nuclear Iran, Obama's class warfare, 12 year olds getting contraceptives in school, a down economy, less money in your wallet and your wife sleeping around on you - can't do anything about it!

Or you can at least try. I've written to Honda about the NSX, perhaps to no avail, but at least I threw my hat in the ring.

This 'halo' car thing is the part I think is of a bygone era. I've looked EXTENSIVELY at the idea of purchasing a GT-R, Ferrari's, Porsches, hell even the new McLaren - but I've never been to see any of them at their dealerships or purchased a lesser model just so I could feel I had something that had the same badge as the top model. We can do our car shopping online and until we want to go test drive it and write it up, don't need to go to dealers. How many people went to look at an LFA and bought a Prius?

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I think Acura's least expensive car is still quite pricey compared to other brands...but the quality is worth it to me. That's why I own two, but the difference between the hand made excellence of the original NSX and ANYTHING else in the showroom is so huge, does the 'halo' thing blind people into believing they are equal?

Instead of building a so called 'halo car', why not build an uncompromising car using the best materials, craftsmanship and quality to rival the worlds best and let let the world decide if its a halo or not? They don't seem to be building it for a particular market, and that's where the disconnect for me is.

Must be getting old...

I agree about the craftsmanship and quality part - every piece should be well articulated to be beautiful along with function. Expensive materials can be misused to compensate for poorly designed pieces though, which is never a good thing. I find many luxury/higher brands doing this and it still fools people in the perception of good design. The NSX was never hand-made though, it was hand assembled by the best of the best. The new NSX has great potential and it will evolve in the next 3 or so years - hopefully into something even more refined and elegant. Let's just hope Honda does not go crazy and make it too complicated both in design and function.

The superbowl commercial was well placed though. Some of my friends contacted me after the commercial and were like "NEW NSX from Acura!". They have little interest in sports cars or Acura in general. Most of them did not even know what my car was when they first laid eyes on it. It was a big surprise for me to see that the commercial excited them and piqued their interest.

Must be getting old...

You might be getting old my friend :D. Your starting to sound like all those dads out there that used to say "They don't make them like they used to, anymore" to their kids. Just as the guy above you mentioned it's basically the time we grew up in has made us more attached to our era's style of automobiles.

Also why are you bringing up social/political issues in regards to my comment of the development of technology through time? That makes no sense.... I'm saying people need to stop being stubborn about what is/is not acceptable for a sports car/technology/science/etc and let it progress.

I'm a just leave this here for those naysayers who are posting here :D.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n4JjOmfmAvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get over it. The new NSX isn't what you wanted so you know what the answer is... keep your current NSX and be happy with what you got. Let the next generation of auto enthusiasts lust over this new NSX and you stay with your old NSX and everyone is happy. Truth of the matter is cars will eventually have to evolve with the progress of time so inevitably the change of power source/delivery is gonna happen to all car makes whether we like it or not. So I say lets stop fighting the current and just go with the flow and see how it is further down the stream. :)

Two things- first, this is not really a new NSX. A new car from Honda- yes. I am going to go as far as to say Honda will not call this an NSX when released. Second, it's odd to use the words "evolve with time" as this new car does not evolve at all rather comes from nowhere and has no connection to an NSX. Want to see evolution, look at the 911 ;). Also as a side note, power delivery has nothing to do with why it's 4 wheel drive now. Even if it's "super".

Back