• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OMG - Dealer Wrecked My '04

steveny said:
Here is the original post:
This is a little off topic, but lets say you negotiate a deal to buy a new NSX for $80,000 less say $60,000 for a trade ( I know these aren't your numbers). The NSX is scheduled for July delivery. If between now and July you're able to sell your trade for $65,000 can you simply write a check for $80,000 when the new NSX shows up? Or are you bound to keep your trade-in car until the new NSX shows up?

So...in his example instead of having a $60,000 trade and a $20,000 check he is writing a $80,000 check. Here in NY tax is due on any cash part of the transaction. If he trades for 60k and adds 20k check he owes tax on 20k, but if he sells out right for $65,000 and writes a check for $80,000 he will owe tax on the entire $80,000. I figured the additional tax liability he would owe on $65,000 at 8.25% NYS sales tax rate for my county in my post.
By selling instead of trading he is effectively costing himself .0825 on what ever he gets for the car. He would need to get more than .0825% than what the dealer has offered in trade to make selling the car worth the time. :wink: :wink: :biggrin:

You are right (mostly). I read that too quickly/incorrectly. :eek: :biggrin:

But the additional sales tax liability would be on $60,000, no ? (Not $65K)

No trade 8.25% of 80K = $6,600
Trade-in 8.25% of 20K = $1,650
Difference = $4,950 :wink:

But your point is well taken. Nowadays it becomes, especially in the higher-end (read higher priced) car classes, that the seller of an exotic really needs to at least consider trading in his/her car IF, of course, they are not simply selling it outright, simply because of the sales tax savings. That can ALMOST, and in some cases CAN, make up the difference between trading it in and selling it privately for a higher price.

So, in the above hypothetical(?) case the seller would have to sell his car for $65K privately just to "break even" with the $60K trade-in offer from the dealer. Makes a difference, doesn't it ?

White92 said:
I think that's the same one that's been posted. That dealership doesn't have that car anymore. I wish they would pull their ads once the car is no longer available.

That's a (big ?) problem with autotrader. Many of their ads run "until the car is sold", however, they have no way of knowing that unless the seller cancels the ad.

Having NO incentive to do so, welllllllllllll................ :frown:

That's what I meant. I wish the sellers would be a little more responsible and contact Auto Trader to cancel their ads. I hate when dealerships have multiple ads just to attract business when they don't even have the car listed anymore. I'm sure they love the calls though. Maybe it generates more business for them? I know whenever I've sold a car through Autotrader, I called them right away to pull the ad. I didn't want any more phone calls.

White92 said:
I think that's the same one that's been posted. That dealership doesn't have that car anymore. I wish they would pull their ads once the car is no longer available.

Yep ... sorry about that Ryan. I thought Acura Of Peabody was the one previously checked as they are showing one on the NSX inventory page. I assume this one has already been checked out.

As for Autotrader, I agree. I just finished selling there and receive two phone calls while the ad was pulled. I made sure I returned both calls to let the buyer know.

This kind of stuff has been printed for years. I'll believe it when I see it. (or don't see it. :biggrin: )

It's really odd that Acura has promised the dealer a July build if production is due to shut down in June. Personally, I could give a rat's ass - as long as I get my new car, I'm happy. I've got my little brother's salary in NSX-R parts enroute, the last thing I need is a phone call that says "about your 2005.... well, funny thing..." LOL

Ryan

Maybe they are keeping the factory open one month longer just to build yours. Then you'll have the pleasure of owning the very last NSX ever built! :biggrin:

RyanITV said:
I think the BMW yellow is Phoenix Yellow? Looks paler and more gold/green than the NSX color, IMHO.

Yellow's looking bad - at least for an '05. Imola Orange is an options, but it's a little too strong of a color for me, personally. Grand Prix White is available, but like I said, we'd end up spending crazy $$$ doing more NSX-R parts - that's the only thing that's stopping me.

I agree the blue looks great, but like I'd said - if your favorite pet gets run over, you usually don't go out and get an identical dog the next week. :biggrin:

Ryan

If my dog were that color blue, I would. LOL. That's the most beautiful blue EVER!!

Ryan,

I'm really glad that your getting what you wanted out of a situation that was not your fault!

I hope you don't have to wait too long to get your new one!

Mike

Man I love this thread. We are up to 8 pages now. I have been following from the start. It’s like a soap opera, I look forward to the next installment and my fix. If it were me I would insist that the dealer put what you both agreed in writing and sign it or I would bring in the big guns but that’s just little old paranoid me.
If I were the dealer and had good intentions I would do that for you without being asked just to put your mind at rest.

Like everyone else I hope this all works out for you.

Patrick

somebody should run a - c a r f a x - to see if they if they are disclosing the damage...

JH4NA21634T000028

Didn't Ryan have an NSX-R hood? Looks like they didn't even replace it with an OEM hood as the fit of the hood/nose in the first picture looks rotten. Great job calling this car out...hope the dealer loses his shirt (if the dealer knows its wrecked that is) holding an NSX in PA for entire winter.

CarFax is clean !!! :mad:

It's funny - I saw that car show up and was going to post the picture of the nose and ask about the "gap". I pulled up some old pics of other NSX' and didn't see a similar gap.

But Ryan's car didn't sustain any nose damage, did it ? :confused:

RyanITV said:
I just sent them an email with a link to this thread and told them they should disclose that about half the car has been repainted.

Ironically enough, after my dealer took the car back, someone else backed into it on their lot, requiring more repairs/paintwork. The last time I saw it was after it had been fixed (again), and barring a slight misalignment with the OEM hood (easy fix), it looked pretty good. I was actually tempted to see about getting it back - I would have given $45k or so for it.

Ryan

Just checking something.......

RyanITV said:
I just sent them an email with a link to this thread and told them they should disclose that about half the car has been repainted.

Ironically enough, after my dealer took the car back, someone else backed into it on their lot, requiring more repairs/paintwork. The last time I saw it was after it had been fixed (again), and barring a slight misalignment with the OEM hood (easy fix), it looked pretty good. I was actually tempted to see about getting it back - I would have given $45k or so for it.

Ryan
Ryan, whatever happened to your magnificent NSX-R, did you ever sell it??

Yeah I learned that buying a 2003 BMW the owner "forgot" had been wrecked down the whole left side....

One GOOD feature is u can now add comments about cars on there, so I made sure to put that under the BMW's VIN (I made them take the car back for misrepresentation of it... go TX motor vehicle law!)

Ryan

Back