• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OMG - Dealer Wrecked My '04

I'd strongly recommend you have your attorney write out the paperwork.

Any ambiguities in the contract will fall in favor of the person who did not write the contract so you'd be better off having a professional write everything out, possibly even have them write it all out and have your attorney look over it....

Ryan, if your happy, then we should all be happy for you. Ok now lets discuss the value of the wrecked 04. My guess is, the dealer will not disclose extensive repairs required to the next owner, whether the sale is to a wholesaler or to a retail customer. It has already been suggested that CarFax or similiar service will not show the damage to the 04 vehicle on their reports. A simple CarFax inquiry and post of damage report should take care of this deficiency. Can you imagine being the poor person who will be the next owner of this car.Whats fair is fair. The truth will set the Dealer Free.

i agree completely with bobolinski - i think carfax should post pictures of the accident damage if provided with it for the car that is being searched if it has been in an accident. knowing that an nsx is an all-aluminum hand built exotic and seeing that damage, i wouldnt even pay 1/2 what it would be worth if it was in perfect condition because of the damage.

Ryan,

You are a better man than I, and most of us who replied to your tragedy and predicament. I really do commend you for giving the dealership a chance to make things right.

And the dealership is only doing the right thing NOW, to save face and to forego a legal dispute and public outrage.

You have my admiration. You are, what I would be only at my very best.

Best of luck to you,

Joe :smile:

H-carWizKid said:
Mr. pbassjo-
Since you have passed a test in your state to hold an adjusters license, and are now a highly acclaimed insurance professional in your region- I wouldn't want to challenge your vast and great knowledge of all things claims involved. Certainly when it came to this subject, you proved you know everything you need to, and I couldn't possibly contribute anything to your great wealth of experience and knowledge. I will go back to doing my job handling claims now. Thanks for the lesson. :wink:

Philip

(BTW: The lesson: Some men you just can't reach... )

Wow all this and PM'd too? Gotcha!

You are getting nasty and that is the mark of the thin resume'.
How long are you at this job? Under five years I bet, three more likely.
You can cut and paste? Good. There was a case in Georgia?
Now there's a reason to follow your advice.
So what? He's not and neither are you or I.
This input on this thread really does not serve anyone but you and I.
Lighten up, have that drink with me and we'll talk some more at NSXPO.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I missed this but what IS the VIN number of this wrecked Blue NSX ?

pbass and H-car,

Enough already. Why you you 2 just realized you don't/won't see eye to eye and leave it at that ?

H-car,

I was wondering myself WHY (if true since I didn't see Ryan post it, I just saw it in Osiris' "recap") trade-in value for the wrecked car was acceptable but I read later (in the "recap") that the new car was to be purchased at cost, thereby offsetting the "trade in" price of the wrecked car.

Maybe that's why "diminished value" doesn't apply here ?!?!?!

Actually, my payoff was several thousand above trade-in value - doh! While I wouldn't have been upside down if I sold the car outright, we were if you consider trade-in value. It was taken care of, though - it worked out find in the end.

Ryan

RyanITV said:
Actually, my payoff was several thousand above trade-in value - doh! While I wouldn't have been upside down if I sold the car outright, we were if you consider trade-in value. It was taken care of, though - it worked out find in the end.

Ryan

Glad to hear it- That is really all I wanted to see in the end anyway.

I think it speaks volumes about Acura that they are doing the right thing so quickly. Some people might think Ryan is being made to wait a long time, but really- if you think of how long this could have taken... It is good to see them step up to the plate.

Philip

The dealership is most likely privately owned. Very few are owned by Acura if any.

The dealership seems to have cemented a existing relationship and together with Ryan have crafted a nice compromise for both parties.

When things go sour what happens after that is the real test of the quality of the people you're doing business with.

My vote is the silver/onyx.

H-carWizKid said:
Glad to hear it- That is really all I wanted to see in the end anyway.

I think it speaks volumes about Acura that they are doing the right thing so quickly. Some people might think Ryan is being made to wait a long time, but really- if you think of how long this could have taken... It is good to see them step up to the plate.

Philip

I have to disagree with this, and I signed up here just to post it.

They are giving him a trade-in value for his car (slightly higher). WTF is up with that?

The way I see it:

1. They make money off insurance. The insurance will pay THEM $11-12K to fix the car. Their cost in that repair is probably about $5K or so. So they make at least $5K off insurance.

2. They make money off Ryan's trade-in. They paying him the trade-in value (let's say a couple of grand higher) for the car, which after they fix they will sell for retail. So they'll make AT LEAST another $10K off that.

3. They make money off Ryan's new NSX. They are giving him a good deal but "not quite at cost". So figure another couple of grand they are going to scam of the poor guy.

So in the end, the dealer will make $15-$20 THOUSAND dollars off Ryan's misfortune.

In the meantime, Ryan:

1. Had someone joyriding his car
2. Has been forced to see his immaculate NSX all wrecked up and dirty.
3. Has been lied to and not treated decently until he threatened more serious action
4. Will be out of a car for a couple of months
5. Is forced to trade his '04 for a '05 even though he wasn't planing on doing it
7. Will have some out of pocket expenses to get into a new NSX
8. Will have an extra year of payments to make on the new NSX

How in the hell is this "doing the right thing" and "coming through" is beyond me.

I understand that Ryan is satisfied with the deal and happy, but that doesn't make the deal right. Ryan is SUCH a nice guy that he doesn't see the scam unfolding between him and the dealer. I would even call him gullible and naive.

The ONLY "right thing" that the dealer could've done if it was me instead of Ryan would've been to buy the wrecked NSX at full retail ON THE SPOT, and then offer to move the mods from the wrecked car to a new one (wherever I choose to buy a new NSX from) for free.

THEN, if they really want to come through and keep me as a customer, they could've sell me a new '05 NSX AT COST.

That way, the dealer would NOT be out of money at all (they would even make some from insurance by doing repairs themselves) - just some labor time to repair the wrecked NSX and transfer the parts.

Instead, they first tried to weasel their way out of the situation, and now they are even making thousands and THOUSANDS of dollars on the deal.

They are the same blood-thirsty leeches they were in the beginning, they just now found a way to screw Ryan even more, but under a cloak of "doing good" and "coming through".

The whole affair makes me sick to my stomach.

Their insurance policy is NOT covering it, primarily because of some details of the accident that I don't want to get into. The net out of pocket expenses for them for all of this is around $20-30k.

My payoff was $73.5k; that's a wash at this point. Some people say trade was worth $65k, others said as high as $70k.

Regardless of what you might think, there's no way to juggle the numbers (knowing what I do of how the arrangement was structured) for them to come out in the black on this one. They're losing money to make it right, plain and simple. Will they make it back? Yes - over the course of the next few years and several purchases.

I'm not gullible, nor am I in any regards naive. What I think, personally, is that given a bad situation, I acted fairly without going overboard and making crazy demands. Sh!t happens - I outlined what I wanted on day one and in the end they came through.

Could I have sued and got more? Maybe. Could I have raised hell and pushed them to do more? Maybe. My point is that it's better for all concerns to just get it finished rather than drag it out; I don't have the time to mess with it and even just the two days I had to go up and deal with things put a strain on my workload.

I also don't have the desire to f*ck up a good rapport with the dealer because of a stupid mistake on someone's part. I mean, how many times has a dealer come to you AFTER a deal and given you additional money in trade? That happened a year ago - the car was so clean that not only did we get 10% over "excellent" trade value, but when car sold in a week for sticker, they can back with a check for more money.

Honestly, I'm actually psyched about the new car and already have thousands of dollars worth of NSX-R parts coming in for it.

Ryan

YellowBullet said:
The whole affair makes me sick to my stomach.

I agree with you 100%. I see this situation as a total f--k over. The dealer took the time to think over which would be the most politically correct way to screw over Ryan and make money all the while trying to save face.

I think the dealer should post after the deal is done, all the receipts and financials of this deal. I bet they are making 15k or more on the deal.
Total BS. If I wrecked their car on a "test drive" I wonder how much I would make?

So Steve, is it reasonable to say that this particular dealership can be called a stealership? :biggrin:

DocL said:
So Steve, is it reasonable to say that this particular dealership can be called a stealership? :biggrin:

I would consider all of them stealerships and then let them prove otherwise. :wink: :biggrin:

The last trade-in I made the dealer was stead fast they were giving me "top dollar" for my trade and I was getting a great deal on my new car. The dealer, I dealt with the owners son, told me he would run my car through the auction. He said he would only give me for my trade the same amount he could buy or sell one for at the auction.

When I asked him to split with me any amount he did sell my car for, auction or otherwise he changed his tune immediately. I did feel pretty good that he put the car on ebay and top bid was 4k under what he gave me in trade. I only felt good about it because the very next day the dealership had my car out front on display as the premier car they were offering. They were able to do this because there was no detailing needed, the car was perfect condition. They had a price on the window 7k above what they gave me in trade. Car still sits there a month later.

I have only dealt with one honest dealer in my life. I would send my mother to this dealer to buy a car. Honest to a fault people.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/ida/inventory_frame.jsp?dealer_id=613187&result_car_id=

Read their feedback on ebay. I thought their feedback was left by friends and family until I did business with them.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=premiummotorcars&item=-1&frompage=222

RyanITV said:
Their insurance policy is NOT covering it, primarily because of some details of the accident that I don't want to get into.

Maybe YOU believe that crap, but I don't. Somebody must have been insured for things like this. If not the dealer, then the mechanic's liability insurance should cover it. I don't for ONE SECOND believe that the dealer is going to cough up the money to cover it out of the pocket.

The net out of pocket expenses for them for all of this is around $20-30k.

For WHAT???

Even if you believe that they are going to put money out of pocket for the repairs, that's only around $5-6K to them (considering their quote is $11-12K). They will EASILY make that up when they sell the car at retail.

My payoff was $73.5k; that's a wash at this point. Some people say trade was worth $65k, others said as high as $70k.

Well, Kelly Blue Book says $71,650. So they are giving you 2 grand over the trade-in, so what? The retail is $87,000 so they'll easily make tons of money over your trade-in.

Regardless of what you might think, there's no way to juggle the numbers (knowing what I do of how the arrangement was structured) for them to come out in the black on this one. They're losing money to make it right, plain and simple. Will they make it back? Yes - over the course of the next few years and several purchases.

OK, that may very well be the truth, being that I don't know all the details (maybe a part of the arrangement structure is to cut you a check for $20,000, I don't know), but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT.

I'm not gullible, nor am I in any regards naive. What I think, personally, is that given a bad situation, I acted fairly without going overboard and making crazy demands. Sh!t happens - I outlined what I wanted on day one and in the end they came through.

Please don't take my post as an insult. I think you have been MORE than nice in dealing with the whole thing, but I suspect that they have taken advantage of you in the process.

Could I have sued and got more? Maybe. Could I have raised hell and pushed them to do more? Maybe. My point is that it's better for all concerns to just get it finished rather than drag it out; I don't have the time to mess with it and even just the two days I had to go up and deal with things put a strain on my workload.

I also don't have the desire to f*ck up a good rapport with the dealer because of a stupid mistake on someone's part. I mean, how many times has a dealer come to you AFTER a deal and given you additional money in trade? That happened a year ago - the car was so clean that not only did we get 10% over "excellent" trade value, but when car sold in a week for sticker, they can back with a check for more money.

Honestly, I'm actually psyched about the new car and already have thousands of dollars worth of NSX-R parts coming in for it.

Ryan

If you are happy, then that's all that matters, I guess.

My only problem with this deal is that:

1. BEFORE: you were in an immaculate NSX with only 6K miles on it
2. AFTER: you will be in a new NSX with 0 miles and 1 year more recent, BUT: a) you have been through this terrible ordeal, b) you will be out of car for a couple of months and c) you will be out of $20,000 out of your bank account (I'm just guesstimating on a year worth of NSX payments)

The dealer in the meantime:

1. BEFORE: didn't have anything.
2. AFTER THEY SCREWED UP: if they get money from insurance, then they are ahead $15-$20K. If they don't then they are ahead $5-10K.

How is this a fair deal and "making it right" is beyond me.

Last edited:
YellowBullet said:
b) you will be out of car for a couple of months

I think this is the worst part of the whole deal being Ryan lives in the northeast. He will not have his car for the summer which is the same as not having it for a year in my book. It will be the summer of 06' before Ryan will be enjoying a NSX again. This is a direct result of someone elses error. Alone this fact has a huge value that Ryan should receive.

I agree that it'll suck this summer without the car. Note that they offered to let me use the '04 for the summer, but I'm concerned about something happening to it. That said, I'm still going to enjoy the beach weather - the top and doors came off my Jeep this week. Plus, the lack of thousands in payments and insurance pays for new parts.

Remember that without a lawsuit, the only thing the dealer had to do was repair the car. Period - that's it; even the issue of diminished value has been hotly debated in this same thread. Pain and suffering and stress is a huge stretch here. I'm just anxious to start building the new one.

While I appreciate the sentiment, you guys are getting too emotional over this. I'm not going to lose any sleep over not having an NSX for a few months or even the extra year of payments - accidents happen, plain and simple.

Car got wrecked, dealer paid for car and got us in a new one - which is exactly what I wanted. I'm getting out of the '04, getting all my parts swapped and getting the color I wanted to begin with - and it's not costing me other than the thousands in new parts I can justify buying because the new car is white (ala NSX-R). Will I keep the car for 5 years? Very unlikely - so the extra year of payments really doesn't affect me at this point or in the near future.

Do I want to speculate on the dealer's cashflow position with this? Not worth the time they did what I asked and the figures look ok to me. The mechanic's insurance? I'd have to sue him and attach wages... and I'd NEVER resort to that with him. Out of anything here, I feel the worst for him as he's lost his job over this and it's going to strain him financially.

It's a car. Not a child, not a pet... no one died, no one was physically injured, and I only missed 8 hours of work over the whole thing. The replacement is coming, that's all I care about.

Ryan

Amen. :smile:

Ryan -

As I posted way, way back in this thread, Kudos to you. IMO, you have your head on straight and you're taking a very practical, mature attitude towards this that many more in our society could learn from.

No offense or attack intended towards anyone else but getting emotional and worrying about every little detail will only bring about more negativity and more frustration.

Here's a fact. Accidents happen. Hence the reason we call them accidents. Getting into every nook and cranny to assign blame, hold someone responsible and all that shit is just that shit. Nobody got injured, nobody got hurt. Ryan is happy with the outcome so let's leave it at that.

I wish you and your new car many miles of smiles.

Let us know what color combo you end up with.

And again, my hat's off to you Ryan. You ever make it out to Sunny S. CA, I'd like to buy you a beer. We need more folks who are level headed and pragmatic like you.

ryan, congrats on a resolution that you're personally satisfied with... everything else aside, that's all that matters really, isn't it?

we'll look for pics of the new ride when you've got it in hand.

be well.

As I said before, as long as Ryan is content I am happy for him.CarFax and AutoCheck will be updated to reflect the true condition of the 04. I'm sure the dealer will agree that this is only fair.I will post the reports once they are updated. Again congratulations on the way you handled this matter Ryan. We shall all take heed.

Bobolinski said:
As I said before, as long as Ryan is content I am happy for him.CarFax and AutoCheck will be updated to reflect the true condition of the 04. I'm sure the dealer will agree that this is only fair.I will post the reports once they are updated. Again congratulations on the way you handled this matter Ryan. We shall all take heed.

If the accident shows up on carfax I will donate 100 bucks to prime. Carfax is a joke. The dealer won't report the incident to car fax and the title and carfax will be clean.

Back