• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinion Wanted on service price quote

Hello everyone,:smile:
I called one of the Acura dealer in Minnesota this afternoon and talked with a service manager about replacing my NSX's T-Belt, Water Pump, and other engine belts. I found out that including parts and labor, it is about $1800:eek:
Does this sound right to you guys? or Should I call the other Acura dealer to shop for price different?

I only drive my NSX in the Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons and when it is nice out. I only drive less than 5K throughout these seasons. I personally visualized the belts and they seem to look fairly new. Do you guys think I can put it off for a year or two?:confused:

Thanks for your opinion guys:biggrin:

Acura's recommended maintenance schedule says that you should replace your timing belt every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Your timing belt should have been replaced in 2001. If it has never been replaced, it is now five years overdue. Two owners here recently reported timing belt failures on older NSXs which did not reach the mileage interval. If it fails, you will spend a whole lot more than it costs to replace it now. How bad will you feel if that happens? ;)

Of course, it can't hurt to call the other Acura dealer for a price.

Re: Opinion Wanted

Can you put it off a year or two? Well you can do whatever you want but, it HAS exceeded the recommended service interval already.
I wouldn't put much stock in how it looks. If you like taking chances and can live with the BIG bill if it breaks, then wait, but I think you're on borrowed time as it is.
I wouldn't take the chance.

I had my timing belt replaced a year ago. ('98 at 10,000 miles). The service manager at Bloomington Acura treated me well. My job was not the same as yours as I replaced the timing, alternator and compressor belts and that's all. About $800.
The Brooklyn Park Acura dealer has the most experienced tech, but I found no fault with the job I got.
You could also call the White Bear Lake dealer.

I was not willing to chance the timing belt, but was the water pump. (Because of the mileage)

neilh said:
I had my timing belt replaced a year ago. ('98 at 10,000 miles). The service manager at Bloomington Acura treated me well. My job was not the same as yours as I replaced the timing, alternator and compressor belts and that's all. About $800.
The Brooklyn Park Acura dealer has the most experienced tech, but I found no fault with the job I got.
You could also call the White Bear Lake dealer.

I was not willing to chance the timing belt, but was the water pump. (Because of the mileage)

You had pretty good price for the works done on your NSX. My work will include other engine belts as well. I think that is the reason why is costing $1800. I will check with other Acura dealers as well for price different.

Thanks for the infor. In MN, how many NSX owners are here? Can we have the NSX meet sometime? I don't know much NSXer in MN.

nsxpurextc said:
Hello everyone,:smile:
I called one of the Acura dealer in Minnesota this afternoon and talked with a service manager about replacing my NSX's T-Belt, Water Pump, and other engine belts. I found out that including parts and labor, it is about $1800:eek:
Does this sound right to you guys? or Should I call the other Acura dealer to shop for price different?

I only drive my NSX in the Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons and when it is nice out. I only drive less than 5K throughout these seasons. I personally visualized the belts and they seem to look fairly new. Do you guys think I can put it off for a year or two?:confused:

Thanks for your opinion guys:biggrin:

Soundz about right. Just had the service done on my baby. Definitely get it done, as you are , as NSXTASY stated, approx. 5 years overdue. I thought of putting it off as well (I had JUST replaced the clutch , which cost me an arm and leg) but have heard too many terrible tales of "waiting" and rather than paying the $1800 for this service, they ended up spending $8-10K on an engine rebuild. I chose the ~$1800 option ;)

I purchased the complete 90K service pack kit from Dali for $675 and Mike at MCA charged me about $1100 in total labor so your price quote is in line.

nsxpurextc said:
You had pretty good price for the works done on your NSX. My work will include other engine belts as well. I think that is the reason why is costing $1800. I will check with other Acura dealers as well for price different.

Thanks for the infor. In MN, how many NSX owners are here? Can we have the NSX meet sometime? I don't know much NSXer in MN.

I don't see why changing the other belts would amount to another $1000 seems high to me. What about finding an independant NSX mechanic in your area?

Well, I for one wanted to be able to hit redline whenever I wanted without having to pray beforehand. Not very religious and god might have a nasty sense of humor about it and all that.

It set me back roughly 2100$ for the TBelt and 60k mile service in CA. Don at hilltop did/oversaw the work. Your figure sounds reasonable to be. For me it just wasnt worth the hassle and I love the driving experience too much to compromise it by worrying about stuff snapping.

-vamsi

nsxpurextc said:
Yours also includes the water pump, I believe, which also involves flushing the coolant. It's also possible the other dealer is just less expensive.

You might want to consider replacing the cooling system hoses at the same time. It's good preventive maintenance, so you don't get stranded somewhere if one fails. And it involves some savings since the coolant is being changed anyway and access to the water pump is easy at this time.

nsxpurextc said:
In MN, how many NSX owners are here?
Six of the members of the NSX Club of America live in Minnesota. If you extrapolate the percentage of club members to the number of NSXs sold in the United States, that means there are approximately fifty NSXs in Minnesota.

nsxpurextc said:
Can we have the NSX meet sometime?
NSXPO, the huge annual meet of the NSXCA, attended by 100+ NSXs and 200+ owners every year, will take place in the Midwest next year, in Ohio. Watch for information. In the meantime, consider attending NSXPO 2006, October 9-15 in Florida (either driving there or flying there).

clr1024 said:
What about finding an independant NSX mechanic in your area?
If there is one, great. However, in many areas (including my own), there are no independent mechanics with much NSX experience. I trust my independent mechanic for routine services which are similar to other cars, such as brake jobs, fluid changes, and tire replacements. But when it comes to the more complicated maintenance tasks, such as timing belt replacements and clutch replacements, as well as resolving problems, I take it to one of the Acura dealers that does a lot of NSX service work (and not all of them do). I'd rather do that than have my independent guy have to figure out how to do it for the first time, without knowing all the "gotchas" and short cuts.

I just had mine done at acura of clevleand for $1377 (tb, wp, outer belts) plus i had them do the valve cover gaskets for the cost of the parts since labor was included in the rest of the job.

nsxpurextc said:

We are doing just that:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68097

I'll PM you about service.

:smile: You guys are great NSXers. I recieved a lot of good suggestions here and I have decided to do it as soon as possible. Thank you so much and you guys have fun and safe dring your NSX:biggrin: I'll look forward meeting some of you guys at the NSX meet.

Back