• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please Help- bent valve?? stranded?

I thought our cars rev. limiters would prevent this from happening????

The rev limiter will only keep the engine from overreving itself, but when the downshift SNAFU occurs, the crank is driven by the gearbox.

Motorcycles have forever used sequential gearboxes, but that never really caught on with cars. Much harder to go from 5th to 2nd accidentally when there is no way to do it. Had the NSX been conceived 3 or 4 years later, I suspect it would have had an SMG, or even a Magnetti Marelli F-1 setup.

95gsrturbo,

Sorry to hear some valves were bent. Once you get her back, she'll be good for a long time.

Miner

I thought our cars rev. limiters would prevent this from happening????

Think again......... lol haha thats what i thought too when this all happened- which is why i thought ---- "oh, everything is fine, car is still running- made it an extra 60 miles as well"

Turns out i didn't do anymore damage at that point but the reason the motor ran fine is because while i was in motion the valves would move so fast that air flow was not an issue.

However, when trying to start the motor, more compression is necessary and with bent valves that was not a possibility, therefore the car would not start.

rev limiters prevent over-revs under throttle
what happend here is a mechanical over - rev due to wrong gear selected and the motion of the vehicle (not the throttle) causing the engine to exceed it's limit.

95gsrturbo- you have displayed nothing but class in every way with what has happened. Your openess, honesty and positive attitute throughout this whole difficult and unexpected situation is very admirable.

Bent Valves? What about the pistons?

95gsrturbo- you have displayed nothing but class in every way with what has happened. Your openess, honesty and positive attitute throughout this whole difficult and unexpected situation is very admirable.

x2

U have definately impressed me, I hope the best for you this weekend when everything gets buttoned up on your car, sucks to hear about bent valves, but it could have been worse, a lot worse. Let us know the outcome, will be good to hear your back on the road to ATL

Turns out i didn't do anymore damage at that point but the reason the motor ran fine is because while i was in motion the valves would move so fast that air flow was not an issue.
However, when trying to start the motor, more compression is necessary and with bent valves that was not a possibility, therefore the car would not start.

95gsturbo,

Yep. This is also why if your belt jumps a tooth, it will act similarly. Back in the old days of single cam V-8s, one could advance the valve timing a bit to help low end power and retard the valve timing to help at the high end (or vice versa). The trade off for the high end increase was poor idle. I was hoping what happened in your case was the same, but unfortunately, the dreaded valve float bending of the valves occurred.

Miner

Couldn't agree more.
I'm sure you know it but your car is in very good hands and will be fixed correctly.
Nabil certainly will have to be working hard if the other gasket set is on back order till Tuesday. Does that imean he'll have it then or it will be shipped out from warehouse then?
Hopefully it will arrive in time for Nabil to get it finished. I'm sure he his wanting the same thing.

Magnetti Marelli F-1 setup.

No italian parts please :)

95gsrturbo said:
so my new tranny setup will be as follows:
SPEC 15lb flywheel
Factory Pressure plate (for easy pedal feel)
Stage 2+ sprung disc (made of Kevlar for less chatter than the stage 1 which is organic)

I'd be concerned about chatter even more as this combo is not sold as a set.

WOW- THANK you for the compliment- takes alot to keep my composure and not get fired up. At the same time to be a man and admit my mistakes and not blame them on anything else.- but thank you for your sincerity

Bent Valves? What about the pistons?

NO piston damage!!! YAY...... read below- more bad news though!!

THANK YOU TOO- really means alot to have you ugys say that.

95gsturbo,
Yep. This is also why if your belt jumps a tooth, it will act similarly. Back in the old days of single cam V-8s, one could advance the valve timing a bit to help low end power and retard the valve timing to help at the high end (or vice versa). The trade off for the high end increase was poor idle. I was hoping what happened in your case was the same, but unfortunately, the dreaded valve float bending of the valves occurred.
Miner

Exactly why this was one of my thoughts-- I was thinking that if a valve was bent it would not have run this smoothly. And had it been a jumped timing belt, the valves may have become bent anyway because there is a VERY TIGHT tolerance there in the head- not much play room

Couldn't agree more.
I'm sure you know it but your car is in very good hands and will be fixed correctly.
Nabil certainly will have to be working hard if the other gasket set is on back order till Tuesday. Does that imean he'll have it then or it will be shipped out from warehouse then?
Hopefully it will arrive in time for Nabil to get it finished. I'm sure he his wanting the same thing.

Thanks for all the compliments ::::: now read below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NAbil called today- I was excited, the science of speed valves arrived today at 12 noon just as promised and so he called me around 2, i was thinking WOW that was fast already put back together!!

well not so fast there McFly. cylinders 4 and five have cracks in the valve guides so we now have to order those as well. I told nabil to go ahead with the order......... BUT I also told nabil "What if there are hairline cracks that are not visible on other cylinders?????"

So we decided to order them ALL, and have the heads to back to the machine shop ASAP- Small problem, Nationwide Back order.:eek: :eek: .. So I get to have BRAND NEW JDM valve guides custom made from the land of the rising sun!!!! ha!!

Eat that you hoe's! my car will be more JDM than any of you... Ill have a 2000/2008 NSX ONE off unique build that no one else can claim...:biggrin: ......

why dont we have a CRYING icon smiley face???????????:redface: :frown: :redface: :cool: lol

You can get locally made valve guides from SuperTech:
supertech-valve-guides.jpg

^^ thanks but i dont see that they make stuff for the C32 - only honda B/H/K series motors

Im sure they would do custom but since its gonnatake a while anyway- why not just go stock? except for the price gouge (sp?) i guess

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!
I think i might switch to Geico and save money on my car insurance! :biggrin: just kdding

FWIW, I was at Road Atlanta 6 yrs. ago in my 95 M3 and did the "money shift" myself and bent most of the valves. Monetary cost is alot less than hurt pride. Took me a long time to get over it. You will come out of this a stronger person. Hope you get the car back soon. Eiffel.

^^ thanks Eiffel and BELIEVE me , if it did not cost $600 to tow/ship the car back here- It would be in YOUR shop right now.

I dont think ill be down shifting anytime soon..... just leave it in gear and drive.........

Sorry to hear about all of this. It's not all that different from my own situation two years ago. Granted, mine was precipitated by the disintegration of my harmonic balancer pulley, rather than a "money shift", but the effect was the same - jumped timing and bent valves, and in my case, damaged pistons. I found that I was able to save several thousand dollars by replacing my engine with a used one with similar mileage, rather than rebuilding mine.

A few additional suggestions for you...

Since the engine is (presumably) out of the car, this would be a good time to replace the timing belt, water pump, and cooling system hoses, assuming this service has not yet been done. Since your car is a 2000, the TB/WP are now overdue (Honda's recommended service interval is seven years or 105K miles, whichever comes first). And you won't have to duplicate most of the labor if you do it now. Although the cooling system hoses don't have a specified replacement interval, you may as well do them when the TB/WP are replaced, since there are savings in labor and coolant by doing so now. Also, once all this work is done, you won't have to worry about the TB/WP/hoses for another seven years or 105K miles. So in a way, there's a silver lining (cost savings, since this is scheduled maintenance that you needed to do, and pay for, anyway).

Good luck to you - at least your car is in good hands with Nabil, so you can be confident it will be fixed properly!

wow ouch.

i did this a couple of times but always caught it before letting the clutch out and over rev.

it definitly happens to the best of us esp in the heat of the moment.

did you guys check your rod and crank bearings?

how high did the car rev too?

never mind, scrach the above, at 95mh and second gear, its lights out.

a couple of seconds might not seen like a long time in human times but to over rev with the weight of the car behind it... its an eternity.

good luck on getting your nsx back on the ground.

i would cehck everything over before putting it back together since it seems like your over rev is very serious

^^ thanks but i dont see that they make stuff for the C32 - only honda B/H/K series motors

ALL NSX Engine valve guides are the same 1991-2005 (C30 and C32).

BTW, "Indefinite Back Order" for you means the parts will arrive in the US on or about June 28th, with delivery to the east coast dealer probably around July 2nd.

HTH,
LarryB

Since the engine is (presumably) out of the car, this would be a good time to replace the timing belt, water pump, and cooling system hoses, assuming this service has not yet been done. ..(EDITED FOR LENGTH.... So in a way, there's a silver lining (cost savings, since this is scheduled maintenance that you needed to do, and pay for, anyway).

THANKS- but its already been don- i ordered those parts just didnt discuss it- good thought though!

Get the valve guides from Supertech. They work just fine.

Already tried- good thought here too!!! but they dont make them, at least its not on their catalog and the email got back said they only do valves springs and retainers.

ALL NSX Engine valve guides are the same 1991-2005 (C30 and C32).

BTW, "Indefinite Back Order" for you means the parts will arrive in the US on or about June 28th, with delivery to the east coast dealer probably around July 2nd.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry but can you elaborate? how do you know for sure? any insight? Is that a guarantee? do you work for honda?- or are you trying to get my hopes up and tease me like the 1-900 girl i call on saturday nights when im home alone and can't find a date--- "did i just type that out??????" :eek: :eek: areyo utrying to get me all blue balled then drop me?:mad: lol just kidding- but seriously can you elaborate a bit.

Back