• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pole 2 Flag Dry Carbon Carbon Rear Bumper

You can ask all the questions you want, we may not answer it all:wink: Like, we really don't know how much the foam weights. the whole things weights ~3lbs..the foam? maybe .05lbs? we don't know. But suppose the one we make for Greg is 3.2lbs, plz don't call us names.

If you go to our website and click on the link saz See All The Dirt Here you should have enough info to make your decision to buy or not to buy. There used to be pix of the complete bumper beam but we'll post current progress next week.

We don't want to keep repeating ourselves. Your concerns of safety/crash-worthy-ness is valid and your cage builder is 100% correct.
If you are going fast enough and crash, no bumper is going to save your alum tub. And once they are bend, they are toast unless you play Tomaske. If you are going slow enough and the carbon beam cracked due to absorb the impact, that means its doing its job but there is no budget to determine that. Therefore, we can't be sure how much it would take to crush our beam or how much it would take not crushed then its best not buying this part as you might be disappointed not living up to your expectation.

We won't have any data nor we are going to crush one to provide the info you need. We are not here to convince you this is the cats meow so you should buy. You need to understand what you are buying. The price will surely go up after the 1st batch as we have yet to figure out how to quantify the benefit of having a lower PMI. A dry carbon piece this big surely worth more than $600 and we can't name a dry carbon part on the NSX that any vendor makes offer the added benefits of besides just saving weight and serious bling. Somebody please name one.

We will have buyers to agree to our Terms and Conditions as these are race parts with no refund. Greg is #1 on the list and we know him. He will not be asked to agree to our Terms as he understands what he is getting into and our trust is earned. If our background does not give you a peace of mind, its best not buy this part. Besides, this part will not be shinny like DF or ProCar parts and your car is 05, you have the alum beam already. We believe this part works better on the early cars especially NA as its usually lighter and more stiff than later models. People who had removed the spare tires, ABS 1.0, Kinetic shorai battery can surely testify the difference. No numbers needed here.

Lets be clear on this. The price for the ARB 2.0 and this dry carbon bumper beam are the intro price to let a few to shake it down out of our "love" for the car and confidence in our parts. The price for the next batch will go up cuz there is a lot of added value of what we make but not everyone agrees. Back in the old days of Nissan, there was a unofficial rule of thumb from one guy who used to work for Lola told us of how to quantify the weight saving vs cost. It was " if it cost $1000 to save 2 lbs, that was justified"....that was for a real race car but it was not easy to come up with parts that does 3 things not just saving weight. IMO, FRP is no tech, Dry carbon is good tech, autoclaved is higher tech.

- - - Updated - - -

If done right it should be pretty if not stronger than alluminum. M3s run these, and they are oem...

- - - Updated - - -

Any options for front as well?? When would you need the deposit by?

anytime. Just reply here or PM me so I'll mark it down.
the easy way for us is to make an alum like the ProCar as we have one on the car but that has no provision for the washer bottle.
If, IF a few people want one, then we need to find an oem front bumper and make a mold so folks can still retain the oem wiper system....we don;t know why cuz the wiper motor is like 17lbs IIRC:eek:. We have been using rainX since 08 but we do care so it all depends what folks want.

- - - Updated - - -

.....shear tests of different densities of foam and I was even shocked as to what type of loads they can take on.

general comment: Anybody can ask technical questions but we don't like to discuss technical stuff on Prime as it often turns into a nasty pissing match then Lud or Bob 34 has to come in and do the Kung Fu Panda. the CF hardtop we bought for the Miata (who would spend $3K:eek: for a top for an...anemic MIATA??:eek:) we knew it was light but we were shocked how strong it was. We lost 25lbs of top end weight and lowered the CG by :confused: We were able to make the car dance on the track being 2100lbs.:smile:

If you follow our receipt of mods, your car will be faster due to physics not higher tech or higher hp. especially if your driving skills improves to take advantage of a lighter car. Its quite simple actually. $600 bucks is not a whole lot of money for such a big NSX part($$/square inch is very low:tongue:) as we all spent on mods that did jack. Its only money...either save longer or sell a few Tesla stock.

Our car only has 262 at the wheel but its high 2500 lbs. with another 100 lbs to remove. Its plenty fast and got into many trouble with the CHP but it gets 30mph on Calif petro but 33mpg on TX petro. If we want AC, we'll take the other car to cross TX or choose a cooler season to drive.

Last edited:
This part once installed needs zero care and zero maintenance AND it improves acceleration, braking, handling and mpg!?!? Sign me up! Ok, I already did :)

Bingo! we had ours since 08 w/o any maintenance except time spent to learn to keep the car on track and not drive at 10/10 cuz we are too cheap to buy a spare.

in this thread it was stated 1997 and newer came with aluminum rear beams. It is actually 1995 and newer. Also the factory aluminum rear beam is very heavy almost as heavy as oem rear steel beam

in this thread someone wondered if there is a difference between 01 and 02+ rear beams. The answer is no difference, the 95-05 us rear beam is identical.

The above isn't from something I read it is the product of what I've observed having owned 3 nsx's (1993,1997 and 2005) over the last 13 years

Last edited:
in this thread it was stated 1997 and newer came with aluminum rear beams. It is actually 1995 and newer. Also the factory aluminum rear beam is very heavy almost as heavy as oem rear steel beam

in this thread someone wondered if there is a difference between 01 and 02+ rear beams. The answer is no difference, the 95-05 us rear beam is identical.

The above isn't from something I read it is the product of what I've observed having owned 3 nsx's (1993,1997 and 2005) over the last 13 years

Tom,
Can you clarify the 2nd statement? 01 and 02+ surely are the same. 95-2005 are the later models and they are surely the same.
Are you saying 1991-1994 and 1995-2005 are all the same frt and back?

Tom,
Can you clarify the 2nd statement? 01 and 02+ surely are the same. 95-2005 are the later models and they are surely the same.
Are you saying 1991-1994 and 1995-2005 are all the same frt and back?

1995+ cars have an aluminum rear beam.

All NSX's share the same rear beam shape and are interchangeable.

That's the short of what he is saying. I said 1997+ cars but he corrected my mistake. It is 1995+

Also the factory aluminum rear beam is very heavy almost as heavy as oem rear steel beam

but this statement seems strange but WDIK, Tom had many NSX's. we are in the process procuring a frt oem bumper to make a carbon out of it and retain all the mounts for the wiper bottle, horn...etc.

OEM steel rear (1991-1994) - 23.7 Pounds
OEM aluminum (1995-2005)- ~16 pounds IIRC

Aftermarket aluminum rears like the STMPO and home made ones are about 9 (8.8) pounds.

At 6, you are by far the lightest. Very happy to hear you are also working on the front. I have yet to determine if the front beams were ever changed. I know the R had a lighter front beam. I am not sure if in 1995 the standard NSX had a change.

Last edited:
Very happy to hear you are also working on the front. I have yet to determine if the front beams were ever changed.

Its not our fault. we did not think the rear would be so popular so we think we should do the front as well to make it a "complete package". The price for the rear will surely go up after the first batch. The weight saving <=> better performance is all the time. thats gotta worth some value than just $600 bucks.

try to procure an oem front to mold. I think that would appear to more folks to retain the washer bottle and stuff. NSXGOD told me the fronts are different but did not say what. I'll pin him down tomorrow and kick his butt see what comes out.

Last edited:
I don't think the front beam changed 91-2005, but am not sure. I do know that they are all steel in front 91-2005 except the na1 nsxr which was aluminum. The na2 nsxr did not get the aluminum beam but I don't know why. I do have an na1 nsxr front beam on my nsx and it is a lot lighter then oem.

I have an 02+ OEM beam on my car prior to upgrading to a custom made (by me) Alum front beam. From what I could tell the pre 02 and 02+ were the same. Though except that the pre-02 had a stainless steel metal tab riveted to both ends. I believe these were for the signal lamp assemblies. The 02+ bumper skin itself had different crash impact foam (obviously) but also had these alum inserts.. hard to describe without looking at the fiche.

>The 02+ bumper skin itself had different crash impact foam (obviously) but also had these alum inserts.. hard to describe without looking at the fiche.
>The stainless tabs for the lights attach via bolts so I think the beams are in fact the same

So if I make a carbon frt bumper from the pre 02 oem bumper, it should work for the post 02+ as well? just making it clear cuz we won't make two different frt bumpers.
Thx for the help gents. It was a long time ago and I don't have a frt bumper to look at.

Last edited:
Hey Greg!....its not sexy but this Bud is for you!

Here is the first one for Greg:smile:

2nd one is being trimmed and 3rd one is being made right now. Foam goes in all 3 at once along with endcaps. Tag will go on end cap.
These are much stronger than the first one made for me since we're using a heavy carbon fabric on the inside.

Looks like we will start shipping early next week. Time to break that piggy bank
:wink:

Last edited:
How come there is no carbon weave on one side? is it just the photo?

Is the foam a liquid? what is its density? Can you post some pics of the wall, and the inside as much as one can see anyway? I am curious about the number of layers and wall thickness. That sure is LIGHT!

Last edited:
From our website:

Vacuum bagged pre-preg carbon composite. 3k twill outer skin with 56k plain weave inner layer. All aerospace fasteners and foam filled for impact protection. Lead Time ~2 Weeks. No, you can't see it from the outside but you can feel it when you drive especially going in and out of a chicane or a sweeper.

$150 Non-refundable deposit required to weed out the ricers.
For Off Road Use Only

we were thinking using this
http://textreme.com/, but its nutty expensive and hard to work with. Maybe a future part.

Don't take it from me. Lets wait for a review see what Greg, Dave, Victor have to say.

Last edited:
Wow that looks like nice stuff. Must be insanely expensive. Still curious though is the foam something you cut and put in or is it a poured foam. I didn't see anything on the website.

This part is on my to get list... can't wait to see/hear some impressions.

Its like my favorite beer - Boston lager Samuel Adams = is poured.

hmmmm......the scale must be jacked
:confused:

We are bunch of binary kinda guys and we don't go short.
the wet layup is for the surfing division and the pre-preg is for the car division.
we are praying for an oven one day
:wink:

Do it right or don't do it all all. Sell some stocks and find the money later.

Last edited:
Look at this stuff... I wonder if this would be an effective coating

<iframe width='620' height='348.75' src='http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/showdown-of-the-unbeatables/videos/sumo-test/embed/' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back