• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Post Crash Alignment Problem

I've been restoring (recycling?) a salvage 2003 for the last 3+ years. The car was hit on the passenger side front, and has had body and frame repair work done. With mucho help from The Works Auto Body in Santa Clara, Ca., I've gotten the car in pretty decent shape. But the driving feel is not where I'd like it to be. Its hard to describe the problem. The car tracks straight. The steering wheel is steady. But the driving feel is missing something compared to other NSXs I've driven.

I've had the front and rear aligned by a couple of top Bay Area alignment shops (Custom Alignment in Mountain View, and Foreign Affair in Santa Clara). And the alignment is in spec.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. Does anyone know of a shop in the San Francisco Bay Area that might have some insight into correcting this.

Thanks and Regards, Paul

How about the tires? Have they been sitting for three years? Are they a cheapo brand? I'd start there first if everything else is within spec.

Need to ensure you have sporty tires in good condition first.

Next I would do a suspension corner balance, especially on a post-wrecked performance vehicle.

Good luck!

Dave

what is it doing? I mean " its missing something"
what more HP,
tire grip,
fast revs,
dampers/springs to stiff?

more info is needed or it could be lots of things

mnNopantsWave.jpg
Missing that "seat of pants" feel?

Many thanks for the responses. Tires are a good point. I'll replace those.

As part of the repairs, I replaced the power steering motor unit and the steering control unit. I bought them used, and wonder if they are part of the problem.

Can anyone comment on anti-sway bar contribution. the car has an aftermarket sway bar up front that is significantly thicker than the original.

And can anyone suggest a good performance shop in the bay area?

Thanks

Frankly, your description of what is wrong is too vague. What about it do you not "feel" Is it poor turn-in feel? steering response poor, rattling, bump steer.

Need a bit more to go on.

Regards,
LarryB

Hi LarryB,

I hear you on the 'vagueness' of the description. The clearest presence of the problem shows up when I drive over something like a manhole cover that is raised above the street surface. As one or the other front tires encounter the irregular surface, the car feels like it shifts or jumps sideways.

When the car is on smooth pavement, it feels good.

Hi LarryB,

I hear you on the 'vagueness' of the description. The clearest presence of the problem shows up when I drive over something like a manhole cover that is raised above the street surface. As one or the other front tires encounter the irregular surface, the car feels like it shifts or jumps sideways.

When the car is on smooth pavement, it feels good.

Sounds like bump steer which can be caused by a car that is lowered too much.

Back