• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Project: Widebody Version 2.1

My only recommendation, is to paint the rest of the car white (wear you see red) under the hood, door sills, etc. Not sure why that wasn't done in the first place.

Also, you should contact Format67 to produce a video.

The white was a temporary idea. I wasn't sure I would stick with it or not. Depending on what color I go with, I will make sure to color code the rest of the car.

My very first post as a new NSX Prime member. I have to say man that this look is AWESOME.....unique in its own appearance. Looks VERY time consuming lol. I'm acually still trying to figure out exactly which route I want to take as far as bodykits goes...yours is inspiring

Excellent workmanship! Flows so nicely and no corners cut. You have my new favorite widebody X. I dreamed if someone would make the engine hatch much like the early 90's MR2 with a clear window in the middle but, never though of this style. Must be a pain to get to the engine bay though. Waiting for the photo shoot and video.

Last edited:
In my eyes, it's still an NSX and always will be. I have been calling it a "6 window wide body coupe". The funny thing is, most people I talk to haven't seen a stock NSX (or have a mental reference of what one looks like). It's hard to describe the modifications. Usually, I just let the car speak for itself.

Everything I have done has been done to make the original car better or more modern in function and performance. Obviously, that is a subjective road to take. Some people chalk it up as an abomination. I just hope most can appreciate the development and work done on it. To be honest, in many cases, it's the things that you don't see that only I know are there that I appreciate the most.

I am one of those who see people ricing their cars with ugly tall wings and trashy "hella flush" look and just shake my head. I have never been a fan of people taking a beautiful piece of machinery and making a piece of shit out of it...BUT EVEN I will admit that what you have created is an absolute piece of art. Infact, i wouldnt mind my GPW NSX looking like that and sounding like that (damn i cant believe i said that)...i guess it goes to show how much i like your creation.

zaid

I am one of those who see people ricing their cars with ugly tall wings and trashy "hella flush" look and just shake my head. I have never been a fan of people taking a beautiful piece of machinery and making a piece of shit out of it...BUT EVEN I will admit that what you have created is an absolute piece of art. Infact, i wouldnt mind my GPW NSX looking like that and sounding like that (damn i cant believe i said that)...i guess it goes to show how much i like your creation.

zaid

Wow, that is a praise. Thank you.

That goes for me as well. 2X.
Many WB/JDM ricer look like add-on but this one looks like it was meant to be.

zaid

Vrooom, I have to ask what your motivation was behind changing the rear windows. Is it to be different? Save weight? something else? what made you decide to do this?

One of the things that to me says "NSX" is the canopy. Now that is gone. This looks a bit more Ferrari and a bit less NSX. Having said this, I do not dislike what you have done. I am trying to get used to it because it is so unusual. But it looks good anyway. That's quite a task to take the canopy away and still manage good proportions on the car. The video really does more than pics.

Interior is fantastic.

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GDQuhvlATfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vrooom, I have to ask what your motivation was behind changing the rear windows. Is it to be different? Save weight? something else? what made you decide to do this?

One of the things that to me says "NSX" is the canopy. Now that is gone. This looks a bit more Ferrari and a bit less NSX. Having said this, I do not dislike what you have done. I am trying to get used to it because it is so unusual. But it looks good anyway. That's quite a task to take the canopy away and still manage good proportions on the car. The video really does more than pics.

Interior is fantastic.

On top of my personal taste, I guess it comes down to proportion and flow. The NSX is an amazing car. Way ahead of it's time. There are however some things that were designed in to make it more user friendly. As trends change, so do designs. In the first rear hatch I did, it was just an applied trim to get the illusion of the c-pillar. After I started looking at it, I wanted to re-proportion the entire rear of the car. Giving it a more aggressive belt line, a more seamless door window-to-rear-quarter glass flow, a continuous roof to trunk c-pillar and the illusion of a shorter rear overhang. That in combination with a "JGTC Inspired" look. This car has been in my head for some time, I just finally was able to built it the way I wanted. I may go back an redo the roof scoop into the rear hatch once I do the engine intake modifications planned this fall. We'll see.

Weight wise, the car is about the same. The widebody also does add some drag. Keeping it lower helps a bit. I also tried to smooth it and channel the air as best as I can over, under and through to make everything functional. Fender liners, Under trays etc.

Ultimately, I wanted something unique. But yet inspired as a modern version of itself. I'm not sure if there is a better way to explain it than that.

And do now seeing it finished is it the way you envisioned or slightly different?

Also is the VRH a front-only kit? Is that good enough? Ravi is making me one soon, and I was not sure if the front only will do the trick but that is what I asked for to keep weight and complexity as well as tank size down.

My first impression of this car is the Mugen-RR. I really love the rear hatch and the rear bumper. Very clean look.

My first impression of this car is the Mugen-RR. I really love the rear hatch and the rear bumper. Very clean look.

same here, would be amazing if he ends up turning it into a full blown mugen rr replica:eek:

Also, cant wait to see the photoshoot. This is one of the most exciting thread right now!

Last edited:
And do now seeing it finished is it the way you envisioned or slightly different?

Also is the VRH a front-only kit? Is that good enough? Ravi is making me one soon, and I was not sure if the front only will do the trick but that is what I asked for to keep weight and complexity as well as tank size down.

There are a few improvements to make. I would like to go back to glass on the rear hatch and rear quarter window. The Polycarbonate is light but is does show scratches easily. The rear hatch needs a bit more radius to match the roof contour. I am trying to source the glass or a shop that can mold them for me. The interior needs a few "tweaks". In direct sunlight it is hard to see the nav' screen. I have a couple options there. Most of the issues have to do with making work correctly.

I just did the front VRH from Ravi. Works perfect for me. I mounted the air canister and valves inside the rear quarter panels. Only the air pump is in the trunk.

I love the car and the work...however, i have NEVER seen any company create a perfect flow from the rear to the scoop.

I'll have to agree with you. The rear beam width is a bit "boxy" more-so even with the widebody panels. I think the profile of the car is good. The engine hatch, however, could use a bit of refining. The roof scoop has been a struggle. No matter what I do it seems to break up the lines from the back. I want to go to an ITB set up with a functional roof intake and plenum. I may redesign that rear hatch area...

I mounted the air canister and valves inside the rear quarter panels. Only the air pump is in the trunk.

Drivers or passenger side? did you need extra parts to do this? This sounds like a great idea.

Looks great. I have been wanting to do something with the hatch also. Would you share any progress photos of this Mod? did you fab it from Alum Or fiberglass? I have a supplier for bent glass if you need it.
Ken

Drivers or passenger side? did you need extra parts to do this? This sounds like a great idea.

Driver side. I had to fab up a bracket and an extended hose from the pump to the tank. it sits at a 45 degree angle pointed to the top of the wheel arch.

ken sampson said:
Looks great. I have been wanting to do something with the hatch also. Would you share any progress photos of this Mod? did you fab it from Alum Or fiberglass? I have a supplier for bent glass if you need it.

Ken, the frame is aluminum. I'll try and get some pictures posted. I would be interested in your glass source.

There are a few improvements to make. I would like to go back to glass on the rear hatch and rear quarter window. The Polycarbonate is light but is does show scratches easily.

Jeff,
You might want to explore some of the late-model PU truck windshields (even PT Cruiser or Chevy SS).....they can be "trimmed", & a lot of the high-end roadster builders (think Foose & Troy) are using them with great results! Also, as an alternative, contact Shields (in MI or WI, I think)...they make most everybody's RACING polycarbonate, & feature an exclusive anti-scratch hard-coat.....VERY reasonable pricing, & good people to work with!

Jeff,
You might want to explore some of the late-model PU truck windshields (even PT Cruiser or Chevy SS).....they can be "trimmed", & a lot of the high-end roadster builders (think Foose & Troy) are using them with great results! Also, as an alternative, contact Shields (in MI or WI, I think)...they make most everybody's RACING polycarbonate, & feature an exclusive anti-scratch hard-coat.....VERY reasonable pricing, & good people to work with!

Thanks for the info Dale.

Jeff wow ! This thread has made me come out of the NSX Prime wilderness! This thread and your car has inspired me to get my NSX back on the road after 2 years collecting dust!

Look forward to seeing the rest of the build, I need to service the car and get Ravi's front lift kit.

Nico

I have been in the Bullet resistant business for 20 years and work with polycarbonate and glass everyday. Poly will scratch even with the best coatings available. I would never put it any of my cars. Standard Bent is who bends our glass but they most likely will not deal with a non OEM account. I do have an account with them if you need help. Ken

Did you dust off the Prime account and log in LOL.

Jeff wow ! This thread has made me come out of the NSX Prime wilderness! This thread and your car has inspired me to get my NSX back on the road after 2 years collecting dust!

Look forward to seeing the rest of the build, I need to service the car and get Ravi's front lift kit.

Nico

Nico, Glad to see your post. Thank you for the kind words. To be honest, your car was the first to get me exited on the wide body...

Ken, Thank you for the info. I think I can source glass with the contours I need from existing outside applications (other cars). My next concern is finding someone that can re-apply a frit on the outer edges. These resources you and Dale provided may be a good place to start.

Back