• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Project: Widebody Version 2.1

"This fall".... LOL... it's like the movies: "Coming this fall to a theater near you"...

What if I am dead by the fall?!

"This fall".... LOL... it's like the movies: "Coming this fall to a theater near you"...

What if I am dead by the fall?!

I'm trying to set up a shoot with a photographer this fall. I am no photographer myself. I can not do it justice. Plus, the whole front end is apart now while I clean the radiator (bugs) and replace the o-rings in the a/c system.

I'm trying to set up a shoot with a photographer this fall. I am no photographer myself. I can not do it justice. Plus, the whole front end is apart now while I clean the radiator (bugs) and replace the o-rings in the a/c system.

Hey Jeff!......did I mention that I'm an EXCELLENT photographer......AND that I STILL need help with body / plug / mold / lay-up, etc?....haha!

Jeff just curious, did you manage to get the airbag in that civic wheel to be functional?

I meant to ask, is your motor built? Or just bolt ons?

The engine is stock configuration (no FI). I did have the motor out for a complete refresh with all new serviceable internal parts and an aluminum flywheel. I am planning on going with ITB's (that was the whole concept behind the roof scoop). Just not sure what direction I want to go yet.

Jeff just curious, did you manage to get the airbag in that civic wheel to be functional?

Currently the center of the wheel is just a cover (no Air bag). I have some of the electronics for the RDX controls in there. Not sure if I would try an use a Civic airbag. Because of the dramatically different seat position (as compared to the Civic) I'm not sure it would be effective/safe to use that air bag.

Ok, I'm a little jealous.... I am looking at the Lexan with scoop but your scoop, brought all the way to the front, is........ AWESOME!!!

I can only find the Lexan at Daliracing. SOS no longer produces them.

The ITB's are about $7,500.00 from SOS once it's all said and done. I like the bling but it's pricey for the little (41hp x 61fb) extra zoom factor. Tell me you didn't actually redo the entire "B" pillar/add window. It looks like you might have painted the Lexan to give it a totally different look? AND I have to say..... it do look cool! :cool:

Ok, I'm a little jealous.... I am looking at the Lexan with scoop but your scoop, brought all the way to the front, is........ AWESOME!!!

I can only find the Lexan at Daliracing. SOS no longer produces them.

The ITB's are about $7,500.00 from SOS once it's all said and done. I like the bling but it's pricey for the little (41hp x 61fb) extra zoom factor. Tell me you didn't actually redo the entire "B" pillar/add window. It looks like you might have painted the Lexan to give it a totally different look? AND I have to say..... it do look cool! :cool:

I am looking at a few different option now for the intake. I may not do the ITB's in the configuration SOS has.

The structure of the b-pillar has not changed. Only the garnish removed and incorporated in with the rear quarter windows.

The rear window are actually a piece of flat Polycarbonate. It does not crack like Lexan or Acrylite. However, Because polycarbonate has a high petroleum content, it is hard to bond. I will be going back to glass (sourced from different Honda vehicles).

You may be able to find a lexan rear canopy from FAL direct. Or call Downforce. They may have one also.

Last edited:
Ok wildman, what color is it going to be? we deserve to know......:wink:

Ok wildman, what color is it going to be? we deserve to know......:wink:

I'm sticking with white. I just need to spend some time and do some test spray outs for OEM GPW in matte and satin. To see what I like best. Just not sure if I will keep the vinyl on for another year or two while I iron out all the other fit/finish issues.

"Professional" Pics will be uploaded within the next few hours.... :D

awesome.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jeff,
Whats going on with your car? It's 77 degrees here in Scottsdale, just in case you want to come out for some hands-on body fab consulting!

I've been gelling the final look for so long that it seems the "new & improved DP cars have morphed into something similar to what I had in mind....especially the Pratt & Miller Corvette. Take a look-see, & try to imagine the classic NSX grill shape in the center, with the "v-line" sweeping back up the hood being necessarily wider to die in to the grill, & the area between the V-line and fenders being deeper.....sorta like troughs. Overall dimensions are almost identical to what I've created, but I'm not going to narrow the greenhouse....maybe some tricky graphics to help the eye narrow it!

Let me know your thoughts!

Corvette DP 1.jpg

Corvette DP 2.jpg

Hey Jeff,
Whats going on with your car? It's 77 degrees here in Scottsdale, just in case you want to come out for some hands-on body fab consulting!

I've been gelling the final look for so long that it seems the "new & improved DP cars have morphed into something similar to what I had in mind....especially the Pratt & Miller Corvette. Take a look-see, & try to imagine the classic NSX grill shape in the center, with the "v-line" sweeping back up the hood being necessarily wider to die in to the grill, & the area between the V-line and fenders being deeper.....sorta like troughs. Overall dimensions are almost identical to what I've created, but I'm not going to narrow the greenhouse....maybe some tricky graphics to help the eye narrow it!

Let me know your thoughts!

View attachment 83072

View attachment 83073
Dale,
I can see that style of body on your car. The nose is even very similar to the NSX lines already.

I have been working on a very unique NSX part that I will be producing in a very limited qty. (serial numbered). Just the tooling itself has taken me over 8 months to develop. I should be ready to release it in 2-3 weeks. ;)

I wish we were closer to each other geographically. I would like to be able to help (your project is totally "up my alley") you but it's difficult with my commitments here.

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!.....only wish it was the one I was hoping for, haha!

I'm curious to see your new product.....LMK when you can

As for my project, I may just have to build the body out of Kevlar & fiberglass, & hope I can keep the weight down with lighter-weight cloth, & latest epoxy resin?
What do you think about using only 1 or 2 layers of cloth, & spraying a rigid foam on to the backside for added rigidity? Any other ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do (besides C/F)?

Dale

Dale,

While I've never used this before perhaps you should check this out.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Nomex_Honeycomb_1562/

From what I've heard this honey comb works very well. The only downside is the high cost compared to fiberglass. but if weight savings are a top concern this may be your best bet.

Last edited:
Dale,

While I've never used this before perhaps you should check this out.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Nomex_Honeycomb_1562/

From what I've heard this honey comb works very well. The only downside is the high cost compared to fiberglass. but if weight savings are a top concern this may be your best bet.

Thanks for the link!.....honeycomb has been around for a long time as core between two laminates.....but I never thought about trying it with a "flexible" laminate like glass cloth.....also kinda like the notion that it's Nomex! Might have to mix some micro-bubbles into the resin for the "back-coat".....worth a test anyway!

Jeff: your thoughts?

I can't believe I missed this update! Vroooom you have MAD SKILLZ! :smile: I love the 6 window concept and that rear is way sexier than before. Congrats on yet another awesome looking one of a kind NSX.

Thanks for the link!.....honeycomb has been around for a long time as core between two laminates.....but I never thought about trying it with a "flexible" laminate like glass cloth.....also kinda like the notion that it's Nomex! Might have to mix some micro-bubbles into the resin for the "back-coat".....worth a test anyway!

Jeff: your thoughts?

Dale,

The way I would do that is to make "plugs" by shaping the outer panels with foam/fiberlglass/filler whatever. Once you get them to 95%, spray with Duratec surface primer. You can build that up fairly thick then block it back up to 800grit/ and polish. Then make molds from each panel (i like to use all epoxy surface coat). You can then re-cast the parts in whatever you want. You can even use a "bulkers" like honeycomb or internal resin flow media. That is really the only way to get a nice finished part and keep it light and functional. That allows you to re-make any single panels if you get any damage. It's a lot of work/$ to do it right.

Back