• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about boosted NSX

Why does it matter if he owns the car or not:confused: the questions hes asking are good questions. Most people on prime are useless. When I first joined prime in 05 they were lot more people who knew what they were talking about. Now its bunch of people who READ OLD PRIME POSTS and repost the old info like they know what they are talking about with first hand Experience. LMAOL.
Answer the mans questions or Dont waste your time writing Anything on HIS thread.

I agree that these are legit questions. As someone that's looking to possibly purchase an NSX, I know that stock power levels (or bolt-ons) will not satisfy me when I have a Ford Taurus that's faster. I know that one of the things I will do I boost it.

I've been browsing the forum quite a bit over the last few weeks and have been able to gather some really good information, however, a simple thread like this is very helpful to me as a "n00b".

With that said, I think this is a great thread for people like me that search for awhile and haven't necessarily found exactly the answers their looking for... Okay, my sear searching skills could be a little refined :).

What the heck do you have in your Ford Taurus? I mean the last I checked a Ford Taurus was not as fast as the NSX. Now if all you're talking about is street light racing well maybe your automatic transmission could take about 3 runs before you were risking its untimely demise.

When someone starts comparing their Taurus to an NSX I gotta speak up just a little you know. You have got to be a party of one on that note.

This guy is talking drag race times - let's just see if he's really serious. We Primers get into these threads and start taking the "bait" so to speak and before you know there's this back biting in fighting. C'mon guys lets try and stay focused here.

You want to "soup" up your ride maybe you need a faster car like a vette or a Viper or something. The NSX may not be the car for YOU.

So many of us NSX guys like our cars without SCs or TCs and drive it the way it was designed. Does this guy want a track car? If so find one that has a few miles on it and transform it into a track car - but if you're going to drive on the street then buy the NSX and drive it for a while and see what you think. It's a road car - one for the twisties and one to understand for what it is - not what it isn't.

The NSX is not for everyone - and not for some of the young gun speedsters - but that's my opinion - my 2 cents....

What the heck do you have in your Ford Taurus? I mean the last I checked a Ford Taurus was not as fast as the NSX. Now if all you're talking about is street light racing well maybe your automatic transmission could take about 3 runs before you were risking its untimely demise.

When someone starts comparing their Taurus to an NSX I gotta speak up just a little you know. You have got to be a party of one on that note.

This guy is talking drag race times - let's just see if he's really serious. We Primers get into these threads and start taking the "bait" so to speak and before you know there's this back biting in fighting. C'mon guys lets try and stay focused here.

You want to "soup" up your ride maybe you need a faster car like a vette or a Viper or something. The NSX may not be the car for YOU.

So many of us NSX guys like our cars without SCs or TCs and drive it the way it was designed. Does this guy want a track car? If so find one that has a few miles on it and transform it into a track car - but if you're going to drive on the street then buy the NSX and drive it for a while and see what you think. It's a road car - one for the twisties and one to understand for what it is - not what it isn't.

The NSX is not for everyone - and not for some of the young gun speedsters - but that's my opinion - my 2 cents....

I'm strictly referencing power, the NSX is a far superior car. With that said:

26748930091_large.jpg

26748930011_large.jpg

I'm definitely not a street light racer as it has no traction. No automatic found here either.

Last edited:
YamahaSHO, what hp are you running in your SHO? Stock, it would make 220hp, or ~190hp to the wheels. I think you'd need ~280hp at the wheels to outaccelerate a stock NSX. My Solara is running 230+hp to the wheels, but the front wheel drive is a serious penalty in any kind of race; it won't keep up with my NSX.

BTW, nice car. Yamaha really cooked up a nice one for Ford.

that engine has Pretty colors, and thats all.

NSX VS SHO yeah right. you know who my money is betting on.

get an NSX and then post pics of your new NSX.

but I Must say that the only thing Ford did right when it comes to the SHO model Taurus is they OUTSOURCED the Engine.

that engine will probably out last Ford in general

do you really think FORD could design an engine like that? I dont think so.

the new 2010 Ford ( Any ) model still have the same design from the 80's minivans. Junk

or the idea that if you post SHO is faster than an NSX to piss us off LOL keep tring. we will rip into though. you will never know till you own an NSX and experience the feeling of Owning one and ALL that Follows

Last edited:
YamahaSHO, what hp are you running in your SHO? Stock, it would make 220hp, or ~190hp to the wheels. I think you'd need ~280hp at the wheels to outaccelerate a stock NSX. My Solara is running 230+hp to the wheels, but the front wheel drive is a serious penalty in any kind of race; it won't keep up with my NSX.

BTW, nice car. Yamaha really cooked up a nice one for Ford.

Thanks for the comments. I agree, the Yamaha is the only reason I ever thought about buying the car (I've had this car for a long time). Stock whp was around 185whp. My last dyno without a tune, no secondaries (no low end), and and electrical issue net me this:

26748930089_large.jpg

but I Must say that the only thing Ford did right when it comes to the SHO model Taurus is they OUTSOURCED the Engine.

the new 2010 Ford ( Any ) model still have the same design from the 80's minivans. Junk

or the idea that if you post SHO is faster than an NSX to piss us off LOL keep tring. we will rip into though. you will never know till you own an NSX and experience the feeling of Owning one and ALL that Follows

I'm glad the rest of the forum has more class than you... Something I'd expect from an NSX forum. YES, I am looking into possibly buying an NSX, as well as a few other cars... I really hope posts like this aren't th norm.

And no, I'm not trying to piss you guys off... I've done my fair share of ego-hurting in this car ;) Sometimes it's the guys like you that make the car so fun, especially when you get pissed off ;)

I used to know this guy that had a supercharged SHO.

That was 10 years ago and he was making 350fwhp which is respectable.

Of course traction was a challenge.....

Yes! If they had made this car RWD, I imagine the car would have made it a lot further. Traction and snapping axles are my biggest issues. 1st and 2nd gear are mostly usesless and when it does hook, it has a chance to snap and axle (I've done it twice) or shred 3rd gear.

What's the guys name, I bet I know him.

......Yes! If they had made this car RWD, I imagine the car would have made it a lot further. Traction and snapping axles are my biggest issues. 1st and 2nd gear are mostly usesless and when it does hook, it has a chance to snap and axle (I've done it twice) or shred 3rd gear.

What's the guys name, I bet I know him.

Forgot the name.

Some asian guy with a black SHO.

The blower looks just like urs.

Class? I think I was holding back for the sake of the Forum.

I have seen guys get so mad when they post on here its funny

heres the best I have seen yet quote

Quote posted by Tony Montoya

"You know what, fuck you guys. I don't want ot be part of your gay car club. "

LOL its now a cult classic.

I have always liked the SHO Model. it just never went anywhere technology wise.

wasnt tring to be mean either. you just took my comments the wrong way.

Last edited:
Forgot the name.

Some asian guy with a black SHO.

The blower looks just like urs.

Hmmm... It's been so long, but it's firing something in my brain. Give me some time and I'm sure I'll think of his name. He probably bought his SC kit from SHO Shop. I'm sure he has some stories to tell about being screwed over by them, I know I do. I picked up the pipes and SC bracket from them while the were clearing parts to shut down shop. I wasn't too keen on the parts they used for everything else, so I pieced out everything else myself and sourced my own T-trim.

Not mad at all. They're all just cars and it's amazing what you can get out of just about any of them this day and age. I've been a member on this forum for almost 11 years (I had a previous screen name; found this to be more fitting as I use it everywhere), so I think I can handle it. Although I do find it odd that you dug up an old post where someone got their panties in a bundle.

I'm not sure what more you'd be looking for tech-wise from the SHO. In it's market, it was ahead of it's time.

Shawn, so you're not impressed by anything about that engine, except for the colors? Why is that?

YamahaSHO, I can't read your dyno sheet. What did you peak at?

Shawn, do yourself a favor; get your own grammar, spelling, and punctuation right before you make fun of someone else's.

And do us a favor; grow up.

Shawn, so you're not impressed by anything about that engine, except for the colors? Why is that?

YamahaSHO, I can't read your dyno sheet. What did you peak at?

I should probably actually scan the sheet, but here is a closer look:

26748930090_large.jpg

The below graph was with the stock motor with some intake and exhaust work when NA, then the same motor with 9-10 PSI. Back then, I wasn't having the issues I had with the latest runs and I was able to run it up to 8k while still making power and had some low end as well.

2259120500_large.jpg

I should probably actually scan the sheet, but here is a closer look:

26748930090_large.jpg

The below graph was with the stock motor with some intake and exhaust work when NA, then the same motor with 9-10 PSI. Back then, I wasn't having the issues I had with the latest runs and I was able to run it up to 8k while still making power and had some low end as well.

2259120500_large.jpg

Impressive results.

Do you know what compression ratio you are running and what sorta CFMs those heads are flowing?

Impressive results.

Do you know what compression ratio you are running and what sorta CFMs those heads are flowing?

Thank you. :cool:

The stock motor was 9.8:1 and the forged piston motor is 9.5:1. I can't say for sure what the heads are flowing, however, the intake ports have been gasket matched, +1mm larger valves, stiffer springs and "stage 1" cams. Now that I no longer live in Denver, CO, I am maxing out my 80mm MAF which , IIRC maxes at 1,500 kg/hr (it's been about 2 years since I've really messed with this car). I have a Lightning 90mm MAF sitting on the bench ready to be swapped which I think maxes out at 1,700 kg/hr. I've thought of getting some adjustable cam gears to dial out the extra overlap the cams add, but keep the lift.

My SHO has taken a back seat to my STi for the last year and a half. I'm pretty conservative on this motor as the reason for the build was from spinning a bearing on the stock motor (mostly my fault). I have a spare forged short block in the garage for a quick replacement... It took awhile to source out parts the first time.

If I were to do it all over again... I would have went straight to boost without most of the NA mods. Swapping pulleys is relatively easy compared to cams.

If you are interested in knowing more, you can check it out at www.cardomain.com/id/yamahasho :) - It's fairly detailed.

Last edited:
lol 500 hp taurus has me cracking up. must have been one hell of a sleeper. Kind of like my nsx when someone wants to crush my ego not realizing there's just a lil bit of boost on board. hee hee i'm at the point where the smaller displacement bikes are only pulling on me slowly... very slowly...

Shawn, please try not to speak for the whole forum. YamahaSHO shows a Prime join date of 2004 and 65 posts. He's shown some restraint that you might try to employ.

Hey Guys,

You know I completely forgot about the SHO model! That was the engine that I always thought was cool and Ford built an SHO Mustang and Taurus didn't they? Anyway - the engine pics are really neat - I just love motors like that. Actually back then that was Ford's saving grace. They've done pretty damn well since. I like the new Mustangs and my wife would like to own one! So sorry if I offended any.

Anyway looks like you are used to power! If I were you and that's what I was after - I'd suggest buying one well checked out of course from a Primer that has an SC on it. There are several out there for sale now on Prime Market. I say several maybe not several but I think one.

I know you will like the NSX - if you've had the Taurus and the STI - well you surely know something about driving and what would make you happy. Get out there and test drive one if you can. I know that isn't easy - there are not a lot around. Good luck in your search!

Wow... major thread drift.
I had to check the thread title to see If I'm still reading the orginal thread. Lol
Nice SHO btw.
To the OP, AFAIK, stock NSX's have been known to heat up quite significantly on track in stock form. So if you add turbo, it might get worse so it will be a good thing to upgrade your cooling system too when you get your NSX.

Last edited:
Back