• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

question for turbo nsx owners

hello :smile: my name is mike and im trying to figure out a few small things reguarding the different turbo kits. 1st thing is... which turbo kit isrecommended (lookng for about 425hp) my nsx is stock and i would love more power....2nd thing is am i supposed to chane the stock pistons in the motor before i add the turbo or will it be fine with proper tunning?? i have another motor and trans and i didnt want to use it yet. im looking to turbo my nsx within the next month or so and with the help here i will be able to do it right.

I would say you need to call Cody @ Lovefab. I've done a bit of research and the top kit on the market with the top service seems to be the Lovefab. Its pricey IMO but its one of those things where you get what you pay for. I also have a friend who just got the Lovefab kit on his stock 95 and he loves it. I think he has about 425 WRHP. He is on prime as TXvsLV.

I have rode both the Angus and the Lovefab kit and I would say they are very similar in constuction and power. I think the Love fab may get in to boost a little quicker maybe by a few hundred RPM. I have talked to Angus extensivly and he seems to have very good customer service and I would definitly look at his kit REAL hard. Hope that helps.

Blaine

I have rode both the Angus and the Lovefab kit and I would say they are very similar in constuction and power. I think the Love fab may get in to boost a little quicker maybe by a few hundred RPM. I have talked to Angus extensivly and he seems to have very good customer service and I would definitly look at his kit REAL hard. Hope that helps.

Blaine

remember it always feel faster when you on passenger seat plus my car only run 5.5 psi

I would say you need to call Cody @ Lovefab. I've done a bit of research and the top kit on the market with the top service seems to be the Lovefab. Its pricey IMO but its one of those things where you get what you pay for. I also have a friend who just got the Lovefab kit on his stock 95 and he loves it. I think he has about 425 WRHP. He is on prime as TXvsLV.

His budget kit is no pricey. It is actually one of the best bangs for the buck in the FI world. Especially considered it is a complete kit.

spend all your money on tuning and supporting mods

people think the turbo is the expensive part..

its the supporting system that can cost the same if not more.

dont cheap out on the supporting mods or we'll see you here in a month crying about your nsx and blaming the failure on FI.

the stock pistons and rods are very strong. with no detonation they will go a long way.

get the AEM EMS stay away from FIC. FIC is easier to "tune" for people who know nothing about tuning.

Last edited:
spend all your money on tuning and supporting mods

people think the turbo is the expensive part..

its the supporting system that can cost the same if not more.

dont cheap out on the supporting mods or we'll see you here in a month crying about your nsx and blaming the failure on FI.

the stock pistons and rods are very strong. with no detonation they will go a long way.

get the AEM EMS stay away from FIC. FIC is easier to "tune" for people who know nothing about tuning.

If you have OBD1, the AEM EMS is probably the way to go but for those of us who have OBD2, there is no option except for the FIC or the HKS. I think that it is pretty nice that we have a wider selection of turbo setups but if quantity is anything, then there are more Lovefab setups out there than anyone else and unless someone is keeping quiet, there doesn't seem to be any complaints. Talk to who will be doing your installation and tuning and why don't you have them give each of the vendors a call and help you with your decision. If you are doing it yourself, then I would give the vendors a call, look at the completeness of their setups as well as some installations and decide for yourself. I have been down this road at least more than most and I would base your decision not on the kit since I suspect that all of them are pretty good but on the vendor and their relative location to you. I would also do a search on them and review ALL of their posts and that might determine how they treat you if there are problems in the future.

Available setups in no particular preference: Angus, Lovefab, Elite, Prospeed,
Factor X? and a host of custom builds. All of them have produced quality products which can easily give you your desired HP safely with a good tune.

there is an aem ems option obd2. u just have to pay more.

for obd2 you can pay someone to pass smog.

also you can custom wire any car for ems. just takes time

Last edited:
there is an aem ems option obd2. u just have to pay more.

for obd2 you can pay someone to pass smog.

also you can custom wire any car for ems. just takes time

Had the modified AEM unit for OBD2, got rid of it because it never idled after warming up, difficult to start, frequently stalled. Worked fine when giving it gas. MASE summed it up best when he discussed the modified AEM EMS. Biggest waste of $1600. Sold it after getting the "modification" reversed by AEM. You can definitely go back to throttle by wire, quotes of close to 4K to convert. Only ones I know of for sure are KTAN (Changed by ELITE), Devin at AEM (Did it himself and refused to do mine when he was at Payn), and MASE. I am sure that there are some others. Last modified unit was the TEC3 which Gerry Johnson used with success in both OBD1 and OBD2 cars. Ken Sampson swears by his-OBD2 car with modified TEC3 running custom Whipple.

Had the modified AEM unit for OBD2, got rid of it because it never idled after warming up, difficult to start, frequently stalled. Worked fine when giving it gas. MASE summed it up best when he discussed the modified AEM EMS. Biggest waste of $1600. Sold it after getting the "modification" reversed by AEM. You can definitely go back to throttle by wire, quotes of close to 4K to convert. Only ones I know of for sure are KTAN (Changed by ELITE), Devin at AEM (Did it himself and refused to do mine when he was at Payn), and MASE. I am sure that there are some others. Last modified unit was the TEC3 which Gerry Johnson used with success in both OBD1 and OBD2 cars. Ken Sampson swears by his-OBD2 car with modified TEC3 running custom Whipple.

sorry to hear that. to have a modified EMS thats different than the stock unmodded ecu. Drive by wire is sticky issue for our car.

all 3 of my AEM EMS cars all have factory stock idle. No issues. rock steady, runs great but no modded ecu.

its not the software/hardware unless the mod is faulty/not perfected. computers will spit out exactly what you put in. If you put in garbage. you get garbage back of course unless its hardware issues then at which time the EMS is not to blame but the modification :wink:

btw what tweaks do they do for the obd2

Last edited:
sorry to hear that. to have a modified EMS thats different than the stock unmodded ecu. Drive by wire is sticky issue for our car.

all 3 of my AEM EMS cars all have factory stock idle. No issues. rock steady, runs great but no modded ecu.

its not the software/hardware unless the mod is faulty/not perfected. computers will spit out exactly what you put in. If you put in garbage. you get garbage back of course unless its hardware issues then at which time the EMS is not to blame but the modification :wink:

btw what tweaks do they do for the obd2

Really don't know but obviously the stock computer runs the throttle by wire and must send the signal to the AEM EMS. I agree that on OBD1 cars, the AEM EMS can work perfectly. I have seen enough cars without any issues. Even for the OBD2 cars which are converted to a standard throttle, there are no issues as far as I know.

Are you planning on doing the work yourself? If so Angus's kit is a great choice and well priced.

Rich

In the interest of fairness; One more kit.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119891

It would be cool if MiamiNSX, BlackS4 (?), or someone else who has "been there, done that" would critique the current offerings for each of their strong points. Without bias.
Everyone claims to have the best ( Me too in what I do, but hey, I AM the best in what I do ;) ).

Hard to do it without introducing bias since most people will say that there's is the best. Both MiamiNSX and BlackS4 had one off units, MiamiNSX by an installer in Miami and BlackS4 by himself. I've had 3 different setups, all currently available and even I can't really state that one is "better." I can state which has the most issues - it isn't one that is listed.

Hard to do it without introducing bias since most people will say that there's is the best. Both MiamiNSX and BlackS4 had one off units, MiamiNSX by an installer in Miami and BlackS4 by himself. I've had 3 different setups, all currently available and even I can't really state that one is "better." I can state which has the most issues - it isn't one that is listed.

FWIW i had my jigged up for production but chose not to go that way....mine was about as one off as LoveFab or Angus...maybe even less. i did ship out a couple so i guess it was a 3 off :)

FWIW there is no best one...they are all OK...the best one is the one that makes you the happest to buy.....

if i were in the market i would do the one from new mexico...like scorp has, with a different intercooler

Last edited:
Autowave's Turbo Kit has excellent design and excellent craftmanship!

321SS grade stainless steel, true F1 type 3 into 1 merge collectors, twin scroll, gravity drain turbo, air to water intercooler, big single garrett GT turbo etc...

Only drawback is price....

i read the thread with angus kit as i will reach out to him to discuss the pros and cons. will get in contact with someone who purchased his kit thats close to my area to find out results. i will be making my selection shortly. only hold up is im about to do the lambo doors on mine and a dfferent sub woofer with the help of my good friend winreboot.

Last edited:

321SS grade stainless steel (like almost everyone else), true F1 type 3 into 1 merge collectors(no benifit here), twin scroll(like most everyone else), gravity drain turbo(like most everyone else), air to water intercooler(like most everyone else), big single garrett GT turbo etc(like most everyone else)...

See what i was saying...they are all so similar, there really isnt a "BEST"

321SS grade stainless steel, true F1 type 3 into 1 merge collectors, twin scroll, gravity drain turbo, air to water intercooler, big single garrett GT turbo etc...

-Sounds like a Porsche-owner comment. :tongue:

Back