• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

re-doing my interior.

Hey guys i want to re-do my whole interior to black. My car is a 91 with tan interior. i basicly want to change out the carpet, overhead peices ect ect. basicly to make it black. what parts would i need to buy to make this happend? Any help please and also i like to keep the stock seats but i want to re-uphoster the seats.

I've done it, I went from ivory to black. I waited until my a/c evap went out and I had a reason to pull the dash, otherwise it is a lot of work for just a color change.

1. Dash would need to be replaced, reskined or dyed.
2. Carpet(s) and related bolsters.

I would not change the pillars and headliner, it will look just fine and takes many hours to replace.

If you can, wait for somebody to wreck their car and pay the owner some cash to trade out the interior before it goes to auction.

Drew

Last edited:
It is possible, but definitely NOT cheap. Here is the part list:

83333-SL0-A01ZA GARNISH, R. HEATER (LOWER)
83383-SL0-A01ZA GARNISH, L. HEATER (LOWER)
88303-SL0-A00ZA FLOOR MAT, L.
88303-SL0-A00ZB FLOOR MAT, R.
88307-SL0-A01ZA MAT, R. CONSOLE
88308-SL0-A01ZA MAT, L. CONSOLE
83115-SL0-A00ZC COVER, FUSE LID
83162-SL0-A00ZA LINING, L. COWL SIDE
83112-SL0-A01ZA LINING, R. COWL SIDE
84101-SL0-A01ZC GARNISH, R. FR. PILLAR
84131-SL0-A00ZC GARNISH, R. RR. PILLAR
84151-SL0-A01ZC GARNISH, L. FR. PILLAR
84181-SL0-A00ZC GARNISH, L. RR. PILLAR
84201-SL0-A01ZA GARNISH, R. SIDE
84251-SL0-A01ZA GARNISH, L. SIDE
83533-SL0-A00ZA LINING, R. DOOR
83583-SL0-A00ZA LINING, L. DOOR (SECURITY)
34250-SL4-003ZE LIGHT ASSY., INTERIOR
77101-SL0-A01ZC PANEL, INSTRUMENT
83200-SL0-A00ZC LINING ASSY., ROOF
83230-SL0-A04ZA SUNVISOR ASSY., R.
83250-SL0-A01ZC SUNVISOR ASSY., CENTER
83280-SL0-A02ZA SUNVISOR ASSY., L.

Grand total? About $10,000. :D

10g.. Wow, i see some parts on the list that i dont think i need to replace. the only thing that is tan is the carpet, the visor, pillars, the seats and the lining roof, all the rest of it, is already black. I havent seen my car in over 4 months so i could be wrong. Thanks for the parts list cause it will sure come in handy. Chris this is the site i was looking for! thanks a bunch guys

the only thing that is tan is the carpet, the visor, pillars, the seats and the lining roof, all the rest of it, is already black.

Unless your car is non-stock: The bottom of the dash and door panels are color matched. This is where most of the $10K cost is factored.

You can dye black, it is easy to match, but will be prone to scratches.

I would not change out the pillars and the headliner. They will match well enough. It is quite common to have a brown upper on a black interior on high end cars.

The stock black headliner/pillars are "half black", which is grey. Complete black only showed up in the later NSX-T's (AFAIK, there are so few coupes I do not know for certain if Honda ever made a complete black interior [for a coupe]).

If you are really going to buy up the parts, then I recommend red [or yellow] interior. Quite rare and stunning.

10g.. Wow, i see some parts on the list that i dont think i need to replace. the only thing that is tan is the carpet, the visor, pillars, the seats and the lining roof, all the rest of it, is already black. I havent seen my car in over 4 months so i could be wrong. Thanks for the parts list cause it will sure come in handy. Chris this is the site i was looking for! thanks a bunch guys

There's a guy that had a carpet gb I think sometime ago, not sure if it's still going on. The visors and pillars I might just get CF wrapping on them and DF has a roof I think as well. They had one on their summer cleaning out the garage sale for locals anyways from the list that was posted online.

I would go with aftermarket seats. If not you can pick up a used set of black ones on prime for under 1k.

Stephen

Hey guys i want to re-do my whole interior to black. My car is a 91 with tan interior. i basicly want to change out the carpet, overhead peices ect ect. basicly to make it black. what parts would i need to buy to make this happend? Any help please and also i like to keep the stock seats but i want to re-uphoster the seats.

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this? The ivory interiors are fewer and tastefully done. Either way, you should be able to recoup some of the costs by selling your ivory OEM pieces and your doing this makes mine even more rare, Thanks.
Happy Motoring!

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this? The ivory interiors are fewer and tastefully done. Either way, you should be able to recoup some of the costs by selling your ivory OEM pieces and your doing this makes mine even more rare, Thanks.
Happy Motoring!

I thought it was tan?

Man, I'd love to buy a good looking ivory interior to replace the ratty parts in mine.

I am putting a black carpet, but keeping the ivory trim, as it has grown on me. Anyone know how to clean/restore the vinyl pieces from tan/brown (from age/dirt) to the original white? Will a generic cleaner like 409 work? I have also read that using fine grit sandpaper on the plastic trim pieces will get them back to white. Anyone try this?

I am putting a black carpet, but keeping the ivory trim, as it has grown on me. Anyone know how to clean/restore the vinyl pieces from tan/brown (from age/dirt) to the original white? Will a generic cleaner like 409 work? I have also read that using fine grit sandpaper on the plastic trim pieces will get them back to white. Anyone try this?

If you mean the hard plastic pieces around the window switches on the door panels and the center console main panel, I have sanded those because the OEM finish on mine were crinkled. I didn't have to sand it that deep to get the crinkles out, so I never got to a white plastic. Any good vinyl cleaner should work, but for those hard stains you can try fast drying laquer thinner (sparingly - try a test spot first).
Happy Motoring!

If you mean the hard plastic pieces around the window switches on the door panels and the center console main panel, I have sanded those because the OEM finish on mine were crinkled. I didn't have to sand it that deep to get the crinkles out, so I never got to a white plastic. Any good vinyl cleaner should work, but for those hard stains you can try fast drying laquer thinner (sparingly - try a test spot first).
Happy Motoring!

Nope, for sanding I'm talking about the ivory plastic trim pieces that run over the pinch welds on the side sills. Mine have yellowed with 20 years of sun and heat, in addition to several scratches/gouges from getting in/out of the car. These gouges have long since filled with brown dirt. I remember reading a very old post on Prime where a guy used coarse sandpaper to sand out the gouges and then fine grit to smooth them. He also used the fine grain on the rest of the trim pieces, which removed the weathered layer of plastic and exposed the original fresh white plastic. I can't find the thread anymore though.

For the ivory vinyl coverings (door panels, A-pillars), I was just wondering if there was a specific type of cleaner that would remove the dirt easily and restore the original white finish.

The center console is half black and half tan. Paint is an option but just putting in a used one is less headaches. Door panels have tan on them too. My friend Ross has all the parts. Call him and negotiate a price at (480) 363-9431, good luck!
Stephen

yeah i just ordered some new leather seat wrappings for my oem seats, I'm still unsure of what i want to do with the rest of the ivory peices. for sure i want to change the carpet and the bottom peices to black. I can fair with an ivory top. now... for the sun visor... black or ivory? Hibnar. i got your email on my phone but it doesnt show up. You can email me it at [email protected]

THE BEST WAY TO DO A COLOR CHANGE IS SHIP YOUR CAR TO UMBRELLA AUTO DESIGN!!!

yes caps were needed. you can do it for about the cost of all new parts but when Ravi finishes it will look better, yes better than all new stock peices. then you can use more types of materials. check out my build thread, I am horrible about installed pics cause I am lazy but there is a lot of pictures of him while doing interior. seriously it updated the car so much it's ridiculous

Anyone? Bueller? :D

Nope, for sanding I'm talking about the ivory plastic trim pieces that run over the pinch welds on the side sills. Mine have yellowed with 20 years of sun and heat, in addition to several scratches/gouges from getting in/out of the car. These gouges have long since filled with brown dirt. I remember reading a very old post on Prime where a guy used coarse sandpaper to sand out the gouges and then fine grit to smooth them. He also used the fine grain on the rest of the trim pieces, which removed the weathered layer of plastic and exposed the original fresh white plastic. I can't find the thread anymore though.

For the ivory vinyl coverings (door panels, A-pillars), I was just wondering if there was a specific type of cleaner that would remove the dirt easily and restore the original white finish.

Back