• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rebadging to Honda Steerinfg Wheel Question

I have seen a few kits for sale on prime for the front badge, real taillight etc etc but does anyone know if its possible just to change the cover on the steering wheel ? I want to keep the airbag and don't want to have to change everything for it just to say Honda instead of Accura. Anyone done this ?

Cheer
Dave

I'm 99.9% certain that can't be done. Once you take the cover off the airbag there isn't anything behind it that would hold it in place.
Why don't you just spend the ~$200-300 and get the correct one and be done with it????
BTW, I have sold tons of airbags for vehicles in the past and they always have the cover on them. Not a item sold seperate.
Sorry.

Figured that, was just wondering if there was a simple cheap option.
This is something for next year when I plan to repaint/rebadge the car anyhow but as you say I will just get the whole thing when done spending my money on other stuff !

Cheers

You will need a JDM "H" air bag. Get hold of one, unplug the battery when doing the swap. There are two panels on each side of the steering wheel, you will need a special screw drive to unscrew the air bag.

Vance

I'm 99.9% certain that can't be done.
I met a guy last weekend who fell into that other 0.1% -- he had his entire car rebadged as Honda, including the steering wheel. I don't recall his 'prime nym, but his real life first name is Jackson. Perhaps he'll chime in...

You can't change just the cover. You have to change the entire airbag. The cover is riveted to the airbag, and is not available as a separate piece. Off the top of my head, to do a complete conversion, you need:

1991-1996:
- Front Emblem
- Rear Taillights (4 pcs, left, right, center, spoiler)
- Airbag
- Cassette Door
- Valet Key
- Owner's Manual Jacket
- Window Alarm Label
- CD Changer & Magazine
- Wheel Center Caps
- Remote Entry Brain, Remotes, and Leather Pouches

1997-2000:
- Front Emblem
- Airbag
- Cassette Door
- Owner's Manual Jacket
- Window Alarm Label
- CD Changer & Magazine
- Wheel Center Caps
- Immobilizer Unit & Key set

2001:
- Front Emblem
- Airbag
- Cassette Door
- Owner's Manual Jacket
- CD Changer & Magazine
- Wheel Center Caps

2002-2003:
- Front Emblem
- Rear Center Taillight
- Airbag
- Cassette Door
- Owner's Manual Jacket
- CD Changer & Magazine
- Wheel Center Caps
- Engine Plate

2004-2005:
- Front Emblem
- Rear Center Taillight
- Airbag
- Cassette Door
- Owner's Manual Jacket
- Wheel Center Caps
- Remotes
- Engine Plate

Things you can't change:
Owner's Manual (No Honda equivalent available)

I think that's it.....hopefully I didn't miss anything.

The after market should get working on a replacement piece for that center section. That is IMO the most dated piece of the interior. If we could just replace that with a Carbon Fiber piece with an "A" or "H" badge, the interior would probably look 10 years younger/newer. Too bad someone said it can't be done...

Does the airbag rip through the center piece or does the center piece flip down/up/laterally when the airbag is deployed?

Keep your eyes open for a JDM Honda airbag for the steering wheel. I bought one off of ebay a few months ago and it only took 10 minutes to install. It's really not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be.

The after market should get working on a replacement piece for that center section. That is IMO the most dated piece of the interior. If we could just replace that with a Carbon Fiber piece with an "A" or "H" badge, the interior would probably look 10 years younger/newer. Too bad someone said it can't be done...

Does the airbag rip through the center piece or does the center piece flip down/up/laterally when the airbag is deployed?

***I am not posting this so you can go and glue something on your airbag that may or may not hit you in the face if it deploys (whether it be stuck on the airbag where it separates or it flies off and hits you)***

JH4NA1184ST000497-e.jpg

***I am not posting this so you can go and glue something on your airbag that may or may not hit you in the face if it deploys (whether it be stuck on the airbag where it separates or it flies off and hits you)***

JH4NA1184ST000497-e.jpg

Thank you Thank you. You are amazing.

From the pic, it looks as if it is designed to flip up but it also looks a little torn on the driver's side.

Too bad we don't have something like the following that keeps the airbag but looks better:
TRD Aftermarket Supra Wheel:
trd_steering.jpg

Back