• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rebuilt Manual Steering Racks for the NSX

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
Anyone ever tried this service from RockAuto? I wouldn't mind a fresher feeling steering rack.

1991 ACURA NSX 3.0L V6 : Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete Unit Wiki Price Core Total
A-1 CARDONE Part # 242683 Reman. Manual Steering - Return and Rebuild Service Only - By ordering this service you are agreeing to send your original part to the manufacturer to be rebuilt. Rebuild time is approximately 3-5 business days. You will be contacted with directions once the order is placed. For more information please contact Customer Service.
PRICE CORE TOTAL
$289.79 $67.50 $357.29

attachment.php

I had mine rebuilt at Indianapolis Rack and Axle.
http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/index.html

I couldn't remember the price so I just called them.

$249 including new inner tie rods and a lifetime warranty. This is for the manual rack.

My car used to have a creek when hitting bumps that is now gone.

I may be worth a call. The cool thing about being local is they turn the stuff around in about 4 hours.

I also had them do my axles with the lifetime warranty. Recently one of my boots got destroyed and I just took it down for a rebuild, free of charge.

They said they rebuilt the internals. It had just a little bit of play and the creek before I sent it in. It's good now. I recommend calling them if you're interested and get it first hand from them. Honestly, I think they can rebuild anything and this was a walk in the park. A friend of mine was a Toyota master mechanic and he turned me on to them when I needed an LS400 steering rack rebuilt.

PS. They love to shlop on the black paint when they are finished. I think it's the only paint in the world that will bond to grease. If you don't want it you should tell them. I'm just kidding about the grease but the paint is nasty. Because I normally pick my stuff up same day the paint is always tacky.

I hate to make recommendations, so please talk to them prior to making a decision. However, if you happen to go this route let me know and I can help you out with logistics.

Any updates to this? Has anyone used the Rock Auto service and can provide feedback on it?

My boots have split and a rebuild would be a good idea anyway on a 25-year-old rack.

Turnaround time is not an issue for me as I'll be away on business for a while soon, FWIW.

I figure I should probably reply to this thread since I have a little experience with this. The problem with the manual racks vs the EPS units is that the manual racks shaft is the main point of wear. On an EPS unit, there are two shafts inside.....once spiral shaft and one pinion shaft. The spiral shaft rides on top of the straight one with bushings that take almost all of the beating. The EPS service is what I repair.......basically we fab all the wearables and replace them......I cant do that with the manual rack because the shaft its self is whats damaged. Sure, I can pull, relube, replace inner tie rod ends and boots.....but most could do that. The trick here is to build something like the guy in Australia builds that fits into the end of it that compensates for the wear on the shaft. That's the only ideal way to stop the excess play. There is no way that rock auto does this......theyre not NSX specific. Youd have to have someone with experience with just the NSX to make this fix properly.....then it still wouldn't be very cost efficient. Charles and I just bought an NSX for our shop. Its a 92. This is an issue that we will be addressing in the future. It wont be long till we have a proper fix for the manual racks too.

I figure I should probably reply to this thread since I have a little experience with this. The problem with the manual racks vs the EPS units is that the manual racks shaft is the main point of wear. On an EPS unit, there are two shafts inside.....once spiral shaft and one pinion shaft. The spiral shaft rides on top of the straight one with bushings that take almost all of the beating. The EPS service is what I repair.......basically we fab all the wearables and replace them......I cant do that with the manual rack because the shaft its self is whats damaged. Sure, I can pull, relube, replace inner tie rod ends and boots.....but most could do that. The trick here is to build something like the guy in Australia builds that fits into the end of it that compensates for the wear on the shaft. That's the only ideal way to stop the excess play. There is no way that rock auto does this......theyre not NSX specific. Youd have to have someone with experience with just the NSX to make this fix properly.....then it still wouldn't be very cost efficient. Charles and I just bought an NSX for our shop. Its a 92. This is an issue that we will be addressing in the future. It wont be long till we have a proper fix for the manual racks too.
[MENTION=15998]d1 guy[/MENTION] Can you keep me informed on a proper fix for the manual racks? The wish it was easier/cheaper to simply replace the manual rack with an EPS unit. I read it is a lot of work and very expensive in the end.

[MENTION=15998]d1 guy[/MENTION] I'd love to retrofit a faster rack from one of the universal rack companies like ididit. It shouldn't be too difficult but will require some know-how.

This will solve both problems...
1. Aging OEM racks
2. Slow ratio

^ x2

I'm definitely in for a faster rack

Hi guys. To answer your questions.....yes, that is our goal is to come up with a faster ratio and obviously, getting rid of the knock/play in the manual racks since we have practically perfected the EPS units now. As soon as I'm able to get more R&D, I will be giving you my feedback.

The trick here is to build something like the guy in Australia builds that fits into the end of it that compensates for the wear on the shaft.

If you want to install a new passenger's side bushing inside a manual steering gear box, have a look here. An internal bushing like that has already been developed. A friend of mine recently had one installed and says his NSX once again steers like it did when it was new, the steering no longer makes any noises, and there is absolutely no more play when you try to push the passenger's side tie rod up and down. His mechanic said the bushing fit perfectly and seemed to be of really high quality. Since it's installed inside the steering gear box, it can't come loose over time. However, since it goes inside the steering gear box, installation is a pain.

These guys build a manual steering rack. There are many vendors that do so. If I had more time i'd love to work with one of these companies to build the mounting points to fit an NSX. The NSX steering rack doesn't seem like an unusually specialized unit. If Matt @d1 guy might not have the bandwidth to tackle this project, i'm hoping perhaps [MENTION=13605]Jeff@Carbon6[/MENTION] has this on his list? :) :) :)

CAC_BilletManualRack_PRKR.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone ever tried this service from RockAuto? I wouldn't mind a fresher feeling steering rack.

attachment.php

I went and purchase this rebuild service from Rock Auto last year and had a terrible experience. They were advertising manual steering rack rebuilds for the nsx so I paid and sent out my steering rack. After painstakingly communicating with these folks - it boils down that they are only rebuilding the ball joints and not the steering rack assembly itself. What a waste of time and money. Please see link below. Due to a couple of complaints here in prime, Lud has removed them as vendors here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/187633-RockAuto-Bad-Experience

Anyways, since I had a hard time looking for a manual steering rack last year, I was able to source out 3 units of which one I already installed and one already sold. I have a brand new manual steering rack if anyone needs it. They are discontinued and very hard to find so they are pricey.

Do you still have the power streering rack?

I went and purchase this rebuild service from Rock Auto last year and had a terrible experience. They were advertising manual steering rack rebuilds for the nsx so I paid and sent out my steering rack. After painstakingly communicating with these folks - it boils down that they are only rebuilding the ball joints and not the steering rack assembly itself. What a waste of time and money. Please see link below. Due to a couple of complaints here in prime, Lud has removed them as vendors here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/187633-RockAuto-Bad-Experience

Anyways, since I had a hard time looking for a manual steering rack last year, I was able to source out 3 units of which one I already installed and one already sold. I have a brand new manual steering rack if anyone needs it. They are discontinued and very hard to find so they are pricey.

I have a 1997 NSX manual shift and its front passenger power steering rack is getting bad (according to my mechanic). If you still have the new one, I will be interested in purchasing it. By the way, I don't have any idea about car mechanic...Does your part fit on the front Passenger steering rack? Appreciate for your response.

I have a 1997 NSX manual shift and its front passenger power steering rack is getting bad (according to my mechanic). If you still have the new one, I will be interested in purchasing it. By the way, I don't have any idea about car mechanic...Does your part fit on the front Passenger steering rack? Appreciate for your response.
Just message Matt

Again, send a message to d1guy (Matt). He rebuilt the EPS rack in my 1997, he can do the same for yours.

It'll be much cheaper than buying a brand new rack (they're talking about manual racks anyway) and the components he uses (copper vs rubber bushings) should last the lifetime of the steering rack.

Back