• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reigniting the flame

In 2006, I sold my 1995 NSX for a 2004 50th Anniversary Boxster S. The Boxster was sold six mos. later for a Z06 (04) that I kept until recently. Now it looks like I'll have an '03 996 C2 Cab (3300 miles), but not strictly by my own choosing.

I'm not complaining, but I really miss the NSX. I really miss the $2500 clutch and $1500 timing belt changes. I really miss the crap brakes that boiled fluid regularly. I really miss the extra long gears in the 5 speed transmission and the complete lack of low end torque, that I would tear through rear tires in 5K miles. The cracked coolant tank, the leaking clutch master cylinder, the ac control panel, the stealerships that charged me for parts that I didn't need...

Regardless, I'm still looking to get another one, and this may be my best chance. But, now I've got two kids and an arguably better car for my situation. Can anyone please talk me out of selling a perfectly good car for an entirely probable headache without talking about RMS/IMS.

Oh, and I've put 40000 miles on an NSX as a daily driver, half of those tith the NSX-R shocks/springs.

Wow...

When I talk about my old girlfriend I dont think

man I miss that one titty was a little smaller than the other.
and she could not cook worth a damn.
she had very small feet.
didnt like cars,
hated to go clubbing,
she drove a Mitsubishi
hated my friends
had no hot friends,
talked with a country swang,
didnt talk alot.

man I miss her? but no other women could compare in the bedroom.

who does that?

you should remember all the good things about the NSX

If the Porsche suits you better since you have kids maybe? Sounds like you are in a good car. At least it has back seats for small people.

Without mentioning the RMS/IMS concerns there is only the dealer charges for oil changes and other stuff that might come up that will be more expensive than an NSX. But if your memory of the NSX isn't any better than you say it is - why would you change?

Shawn's rather crude analogy pretty much sums it up for ya! Actually Shawn's post is pretty funny! Should give you pause. Sounds like what you want is to be talked into an NSX - man your gonna have to do that yourself. I like 911s but I didn't want the M96 engine - and personnaly I couldn't think of all the other issues besides the RMS/IMS. That IMS thing gets you and you'll wish you'd sold! Just sayin.....

Good luck, plenty of good NSXs for sale right here - matter of fact I know of a silver 91.....:biggrin:

One thing with Shawn's post...

The country swang and "doesnt talk much" would probably cancel out though, no? ROFL :biggrin:

On topic, by "crap brakes that boil fluid", I assume you track the car? If so, I think the costs of the 911 (assuming you keep tracking) for consumables are going to start to hurt worse than the NSX, JMHO.

lol,I hate to sound like a fan boy always singing the praises..so I won't:redface: but properly maintained oem brakes, meaning regular fluid changes ect will not boil fluid.I have seen one case of "boiling" fluid at the track related to poor braking technique and 5yo fluid:rolleyes:

Well after driving my buddies 2009 Boxster S PCNA 6-speed Model for 2 weeks
it was fast 12 inch wide 19" rims rear wheels loved the speed. but when I would pull up to a normal Boxster they looked the same whats the point
I want a car that No-one has.
sheep I say.

I am def not a Porsche Guy. and I dont wear the Porsche ball cap or jacket, LOL

I wear the Acura ball cap j/k

Forget the repair/operating costs... which one is aesthetically more pleasing?
There is your answer.

help convince you not to get one, ok. Please dont get one so that the one you could have bought, some lucky person gets it and posts up "I just got my NSX, I am loving every second" rather than you posting up" I got my NSX, god I hate this thing"

LMAO :biggrin:

Wow...

she had very small feet.
didnt like cars,
hated to go clubbing,
she drove a Mitsubishi
hated my friends
had no hot friends,
didnt talk alot.

who does that?

Apparently, it seems like you had a bad experience with the NSX and not happy with the ownership.

Like tbromley said, why bother look back? Especially when you already have a car that you think is argueably better?

With all due respect, I think a car comparison at this point is pointless, simply different strokes for different folks. You've obviously moved on, forget about the NSX.

probably was an automatic. LOL

not bashing at all. just sayin.

so can we talk you out of buying one.

Yes we can, you hated the NSX so go get something else.

maybe try Audi they have a forum for that to.

its http://www.audi-forums.com enjoy

Last edited:
OP - You mentioned almost all of the exact same issues I had on my NSX hahaha. Anyway, you're comparing to a Z06 which is arguably one of the best bang for your buck cars in the world. It will be hard to beat if you're looking at an NSX's cost of ownership. However, even though the NSX is many years it's senior the Z06 is about as boring as Kentucky Fried Chicken. This is coming from an owner of a sixties LS1 muscle car.

The 996? Many will argue, but I think that's the least desirable 911 ever. Now wonder why you're eye is wandering!

NSX for the win!

---------------

Wow...

she had very small feet.
didnt like cars,
hated to go clubbing,
she drove a Mitsubishi
hated my friends
had no hot friends,
didnt talk alot.

who does that?

Shawn, oh man.. this had laughing

help convince you not to get one, ok. Please dont get one so that the one you could have bought, some lucky person gets it and posts up "I just got my NSX, I am loving every second" rather than you posting up" I got my NSX, god I hate this thing"

LOL at all of this. I love the NSX.

I'm working through a 'devil you know' vs. 'devil you don't know' dilema.

Also, IMS seems extremely rare - no data from any reliable source shows more than a handful of problems. Every thread related is built up massively by suppliers of aftermarket bearings.

My 'vette was falling apart when I sold it. Never put more than a few thousand miles on a 'vette if you want the interior accessories to stay where they were designed to be situated.

I love driving.

probably was an automatic. LOL

not bashing at all. just sayin.

so can we talk you out of buying one.

Yes we can, you hated the NSX so go get something else.

maybe try Audi they have a forum for that to.

its http://www.audi-forums.com enjoy

I didn't once say that I didn't like the NSX. The NSX is the best car I've ever owned, and much better than anything else I can afford.

but to insinuate that I like Audis and would drive an automatic in the same post is just plainly hurtful.

sorry man. was having some fun. I just wanted to make sure your getting back into an NSX and just be happy.

some people go thru cars like women.

I went thru lots of women and lots of cars. always stayed true to anything honda though and now that I have more NSX's than I can handle
I wouldnt want it any other way.

get your self back into an NSX and drive it till you die. you will thank me.

...I'm not complaining, but I really miss the NSX. I really miss the $2500 clutch and $1500 timing belt changes. I really miss the crap brakes that boiled fluid regularly. I really miss the extra long gears in the 5 speed transmission and the complete lack of low end torque, that I would tear through rear tires in 5K miles. The cracked coolant tank, the leaking clutch master cylinder, the ac control panel, the stealerships that charged me for parts that I didn't need...

Regardless, I'm still looking to get another one, and this may be my best chance. But, now I've got two kids and an arguably better car for my situation. Can anyone please talk me out of selling a perfectly good car for an entirely probable headache without talking about RMS/IMS.

Oh, and I've put 40000 miles on an NSX as a daily driver, half of those tith the NSX-R shocks/springs.

I have no idea how you had that much stuff happen in only 40,000 miles. My current 1994 NSX has over 177,800 miles (most of which are mine) and has not had anywhere near that amount of stuff go wrong (except some stuff caused by a careless dealer...not the fault of the car though).

Either way....I could never be without one. I have been driving NSXs for almost 18 years, and love every mile. :)

LOL at all of this. I love the NSX.

I'm working through a 'devil you know' vs. 'devil you don't know' dilema.

Also, IMS seems extremely rare - no data from any reliable source shows more than a handful of problems. Every thread related is built up massively by suppliers of aftermarket bearings.

My 'vette was falling apart when I sold it. Never put more than a few thousand miles on a 'vette if you want the interior accessories to stay where they were designed to be situated.

I love driving.

Thats weird... I put 40k miles on my C5 and it was fine. Crappy sure... Cheap looking absolutely... but it was holding together :D

Agree totally on IMS. IMO RMS was as well. The nature of enthusiast forums makes everything seem apocalyptic when in reality most of this shit falls into the sub 1% category (otherwise you'd see massive recalls and news/press coverage)

Last edited:
Well I did have your old car up for sale there for a bit, but not anymore ;) You are so right about the shitty stock brakes, that was the first thing I noticed about it. Anyways, I suggest getting an NA2 as it has slightly better brakes and cheaper clutches along w the close ratio gears.

Well I did have your old car up for sale there for a bit, but not anymore ;) You are so right about the shitty stock brakes, that was the first thing I noticed about it. Anyways, I suggest getting an NA2 as it has slightly better brakes and cheaper clutches along w the close ratio gears.

It's funny b/c I've never heard this said about the NA1. In all of the glowing reception by the motoring press and the world in 1991, the brakes were not called out as a weak point

Even today, brake feel and stopping distances of the NA1 are better than most "normal" cars.

Of course compared to modern *sports cars* time has moved on. But thats a ridiculous comparison IMO.

It's funny b/c I've never heard this said about the NA1. In all of the glowing reception by the motoring press and the world in 1991, the brakes were not called out as a weak point

Even today, brake feel and stopping distances of the NA1 are better than most "normal" cars.

Of course compared to modern *sports cars* time has moved on. But thats a ridiculous comparison IMO.

i watched a hot version touge battle where they complained about the ABS and said they should upgrade it to the modern ABS. the tuner did not know if this was possible. (but we do :biggrin:)

that said they are fine and quite good for their time... but modern brakes on just normal cars have evolved quite a bit and are typically as good or better.

Last edited:

Stopping distances are not a great way to measure sports car brakes. That's more a function of tires, suspension, and weight distribution. The ability to maintain performance with repeated abuse is a bigget concern. If you can invke your ABS, your brakes are able to stop you as fast as your tires can do it. ( try this in heated slicks with stock rotors and pads sometime for fun ). If you can do this 100 times n a row from 100 mph, well, then you've got damn good brakes that can withstand a solid track outing.

I had project mu 2-piece rotors, ss lines, motul fluid and hawk pads. That made for decent track day performance on stock calipers. If I were to run slicks, I would have had to go with a big brake package. The new owner, Nero, did just that.

Looking good by the way Nero. It's good to see you're enjoying the car still.

Yes, I made sure that it was in pretty damn good mechanical condition. I had an independent NSX mechanic in Miami who had about six NSX's in his shop at a time do most of the work, and he went through the car with a fine toothed comb. So, if it seems like I had a lot of problems, it's only due to proactive maintenance frm a trained eye.

I am officially in the Market for a 97+ standard transmission

If you've got several of the following. Zanardi trumps all below.

-CTSC
-Upgraded Wheels
-Good History
-Upgraded Brakes
-Upgraded Exhaust
-The recommendation from a known NSX mechanic
-50k miles or less

Required to have been completed on all cars more than 20000 miles

-timing belt/water pump
-clutch replacement

You may have the car for me.

Last edited:
After reading all of this it just reinforces my original gut feeling of the NSX. This one is a keeper. I know there's more advanced, better handling, faster sports cars, but this one is true, and I enjoy every second I'm driving it.

The NSX is like the aging classic song, no matter how many time's it's remixed, it's not as good as the original.

Back