• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Retirement Road Trip

Spent the night in Barstow, CA talking to a bunch of water well drillers....about retirement financing! Yesterday's stops included both entrances to Zion National Park. Plan to travel up the central part of California today and visit Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks. Got just over 29 mpg on my last two fill ups. Did my last fill up at 447 miles traveled.

what are your average cruising speeds?

Looks like a blast! I dream of one day being able to have off of work for a month to complete such a road trip too. Are you doing anything for front end paint protection? How have you been keeping the car clean on the trip? I know you are not leaving it filthy ;)

Congratulations on your retirement. What an epic trip. I have done a few long distance trips myself and your experience and awesome pictures bring back fond memories. The NSX is the best road trip car I've ever driven and the only exotic car that gets well over 25mpg. Definitely not a boring car to drive. Keep the updates coming and safe travels.

Completed about half my planned trip...traveling 3300 miles. Toured Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks today. Have attached a couple of photos.

Attachments

• Canyon01.jpg
    Canyon01.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Sequoia01.jpg
    Sequoia01.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sequoia02.jpg
    Sequoia02.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 97
I just caught up on your progress. No jealousy here, just smiling ear-to-ear for ya. Wishing you many more safe and enjoyable miles.

I just caught up on your progress. No jealousy here, just smiling ear-to-ear for ya. Wishing you many more safe and enjoyable miles.

Thanks Michael. Have plenty more pictures to share when I get back. See you then.

Traveled the PCH yesterday. What a beautiful drive in spite of many Califiornia drivers "pushing" me along. Treated the NSX to a hand wash at the end of the day. Hope to get to Kingman, AZ today, but no touring scheduled. More photos to come but working out a means to post.

Take notes & photos and lets turn this adventure in to an article for NSX Driver; I would be more than happy to help you with that.

Take notes & photos and lets turn this adventure in to an article for NSX Driver; I would be more than happy to help you with that.

Thanks, Dan. I have been requested to do just that and am taking lots of pictures and notes.

Completed the trip across the high desert yesterday. Hate the sand and wind! Stopped at an old Route 66 cafe for lunch in Ludlow, CA. Plan to tour Grand Canyon today. Where I end up tonight depends on how much time I spend at the Canyon. Getting close to the 4000 mile mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Some photos from the PCH leg...

Attachments

• PCH01.jpg
    PCH01.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
  • PCH02.jpg
    PCH02.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 77
  • PCH03.jpg
    PCH03.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 74
  • PCH04.jpg
    PCH04.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 71
  • PCH05.jpg
    PCH05.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
what are you using for smokey detection?

Arrived in Albuquerque, NM for the night. Toured the Grand Canyon, made a few stops along the Historic Rt66, and visited the Petrified Forest National Park Visitor Center. After about 4500 miles topped off the oil with about a third of a quart. The attached photos include one of the old Rt66 as it passed over the Continental Divide. The Service Station looks pretty run down, but that NSX looks pretty hot!

By the way, I have no smokey detection equipment on board...

Attachments

• GC01.jpg
    GC01.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 69
  • GC02.jpg
    GC02.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 71
  • GC03.jpg
    GC03.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 77
  • GC05.jpg
    GC05.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 76
  • Rt6602.jpg
    Rt6602.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 84
Hi Combatdad, Following your trip with great interest from down under.
Wish we could join you.
Best Wishes,
IAN94

Thanks Ian. As I said in an earlier post I spent two years, 1977-79, in your beautiful country while in the military. Did get a chance to visit Adelaide and Melbourne and cruise the Murray River.

Departed Albuquerque, NM watching hot air ballons descending. Spent most of the day traveling about 650 miles through New Mexico and Texas on my way to Vicksburg, MS which is my next touring stop. All the Smokies I hadn't seen over the past few miles appeared in Texas. They were everywhere! I stayed a little behind a red Ford SUV that pushed a little too hard and finally got nabbed. I've included a photo of my Garmin trip display to show total mileage traveled among other data. Also included is a photo of car and driver for those interested in knowing who is sending out these posts.

Attachments

• Ballons02.jpg
    Ballons02.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Garmin.jpg
    Garmin.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Sequoia03.jpg
    Sequoia03.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Couldn't think of a better way to spend Memorial Day than touring a National Military Park. Vicksburg was as great a tour as I had anticipated. I arrived in time to attend part of the memorial service at the National Cemetery...very well done. They have also added a Museum about the ironclad U.S.S Cairo. Great job reconstructing and presenting the remains of the ship. The roads through Mississippi are really bad by the way...on my way to Alabama tomorrow to tour an auto museum in Birmingham, AL and visit some friends in Huntsville, AL.

Attachments

• Vicks07.jpg
    Vicks07.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Vicks06.jpg
    Vicks06.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Vicks05.jpg
    Vicks05.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Vicks04.jpg
    Vicks04.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Vicks02.jpg
    Vicks02.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Vicks01.jpg
    Vicks01.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Dave,
I am so pleased to follow the progress of this special trip. Kudos to you for making this happen.
Best Wishes,
Michael

Dave,
I am so pleased to follow the progress of this special trip. Kudos to you for making this happen.
Best Wishes,
Michael

Michael, will probably be back in Virginia this weekend. Might see you at Fairlakes C&C with lots more photos.

Departed Meridian, MS this morning and traveled to Birmingham, Al to tour the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. If you are into motorcycles this is certainly the place to visit! The Lotus collection was what I went for and I wasn't disappointed. Not unusual, but had questions from staff on my NSX. Moved onto Huntsville, Al to visit with some old friends for the night but also stopped by the NASA Space Center for a photo op. Hit the 6000 mile mark today. Plan to travel up the Blue Ridge Parkway for the next couple of days on the way back home.

As I was departing the hotel this morning, had a conversation with a driver for an auto transport company. He had transported three NSX's down to Florida this past year...wonder whose they were?

Attachments

• BMS01.jpg
    BMS01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
  • BMS02.jpg
    BMS02.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 47
  • BMS03.jpg
    BMS03.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 54
  • BMS04.jpg
    BMS04.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 59
  • BMS05.jpg
    BMS05.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Huntsville01.jpg
    Huntsville01.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Huntsville02.jpg
    Huntsville02.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 50
Very cool. Glad you enjoyed Vicksburg. Like you, I spent almost as much time checking out the Lotus collection at Barber as I did those three floors of motor cycles. What a place.

By the way, in defense of Mississippi roads: You took I-20 which has to be some of the worst Interstate in the state. Part of this is due to extremely heavy traffic but the main factor is the makeup of the soil, especially in and near Jackson. It expands and contracts with every rain and keeping roads in good nick is almost impossible. I-10 is much nicer and, for the most part, in very good shape. Same for I-59 and I-55 (last time I traveled it) except around Jackson.

Too bad you didn't have time to log some mileage on the Natchez Trace. It's a slow drive but really lovely this time of the year.

Stay safe the rest of the way. Looking forward to more great pics.

Back