• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Retirement Road Trip

Thanks for the suggestions. There is so much to see in this beautiful country! Actually my trip is a combination of wanting to visit old friends, visit National Parks, travel the Pacific Coast Highway...and just drive the NSX for awhile. In my military career I spent some time in Montana, Wyoming and the Dakota's and visited several of the National Parks there.

But I'm still in the planning stage. In the end though there isn't much that compares to the enjoyment of driving a red NSX with the targa top off no matter what the road...

Yea, yea, yea........I am getting tired of hearing about this red NSX already!!! :))

Your Bro

Yea, yea, yea........I am getting tired of hearing about this red NSX already!!! :))

Your Bro

You're just jealous because I beat you out of this trophy the last time we competed in an event!

Your Bro

Attachments

• Trophy.jpg
    Trophy.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 421
You're just jealous because I beat you out of this trophy the last time we competed in an event!

Your Bro

OBJECTS IN PICTURE MAY APPEAR LARGER THAN THEY ACTUALLY ARE!

Your Bro

You two are hilarious.

Dave, Vicksburg National Military Park is absolutely worth the drive through central LA and MS. It even makes up for the bad roads in Jackson.

Have you ever visited the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola? If not, it is worth going out of your way for. You could spend two days in the place and not see everything.

If you plan to keep to the north, another great destination is Barber Motorsports Park a little east of Birmingham just off I-20. If you have even a passing interest in motor cycles the Barber Museum is a must-see. It is the largest collection I have ever seen and spans the globe and the twentieth/twenty-first centuries. Simply amazing. And if four-wheeled exotica is more your style, there is an exceptional Lotus collection that includes reproductions of the Lotus Mark 1 and Lotus Mark 2, a rare and genuine Mark 3 (if I recall correctly), and numerous competition cars right up to the last Lotus F1 car. Check out this virtual tour:
http://barbermuseum.org/lotus.php.

Dave,

Your service to our country is truly appreciated, as will your cross-country endeavors in your X... May you have the blessing of many miles and memories. Looking forward to future shares by you... Please photodocument and journal so your experiences are captured as they happen!.!.!

Best, QD...

If you plan to keep to the north, another great destination is Barber Motorsports Park a little east of Birmingham just off I-20.

Thanks for the info. Right now I plan to go right through Birmingham via I-20 on the return leg. By the way I agree with your assessment of Vicksburg. Last toured the park back in 1974. Looking forward to a return visit.

Hi Dave.
Good to see you at the NSX gathering this morning.
As we discussed, here are my two thoughts on you roadtrip sites to see:
If you are in the neighborhood, I recommend Bandalier National Monument near Santa Fe, New Mexico.
I also recommend Muir Woods in Mill Valley, CA.
I found both parks to be extraordanary.
If you like zoos, by all means see San Diego and Santa Fe, two that I have seen and enjoyed.
I spent a couple of years as a nomad in America and highly recommend it. Best of Luck.
Michael

I live on the north side of Indianapolis and have housed many traveling NSX owners. I would be happy to provide a garage for your car, and a nice and warm way station for your travels.

I live on the north side of Indianapolis and have housed many traveling NSX owners. I would be happy to provide a garage for your car, and a nice and warm way station for your travels.

Mitch, my brother's NSX was purchased in Indianapolis.

Mitch,

I bought my NSX from Ed Martin Acura in Jun 08. As I recall you and I made contact when I was trying to get some history on the car.

Dave

P.S. Thanks for the offer but my first stop after leaving VA is near Dayton, OH for a few days. After that I will most likely be stopping west of St Louis, MO.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your retirement!

When doing the PCH drive, I recommend starting in Southern CA and heading north because the road just gets better and better as you go up.

Also, you might consider spending an hour or two in the Malibu canyons when you are in the LA area.

And a good idea is to stop in the San Luis Obispo area over night for a good half way point.

Congratulations on your retirement!

When doing the PCH drive, I recommend starting in Southern CA and heading north because the road just gets better and better as you go up.

Also, you might consider spending an hour or two in the Malibu canyons when you are in the LA area.

And a good idea is to stop in the San Luis Obispo area over night for a good half way point.

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently plan to enter CA from the south, visit Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks and then cross over to Monterey and head south along the coast. Haven't decided on over night stops when I get into CA.

Officially retired today! Planning to start my trip 15 May with a somewhat flexible schedule that depends on time spent at national parks and various museums along the way. Cities I'll be passing through or near after leaving VA and current order include: Dayton, OH; Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; Bakersfield, Merced, Monterey, Santa Barbara, CA; Flagstaff, AZ; Albuquerque, Santa Fe, NM; Dallas,TX; Vicksburg, MS; Birmingham, Huntsville, AL; Knoxville, TN, Holly Springs, NC. In some cases routes between locations will be determined enroute. I'll be starting out the trip solo but my brother, 99NCNSX, will be joining me in Dallas for the final leg of the trip.

Hope to be providing daily posts of my progress and craziness once the trip starts...

Congratulations and I look forward to reading your trip thread. :smile:

YIKES !!!!! You're coming to CA and NOT coming to San Diego ?? Blasphemy !!! Just a suggestion, but San Diego is only 4 hours from Vegas and a much better place to spend the night than BAKERSFIELD. (yuck) And, it's gorgeous here with some incredible sights, and driving roads including Palomar Mountain (check youTube). I have a 36' sailboat in San Diego harbor and can take you out on the bay (watched Navy's newest Littoral vessel Independence depart harbor last week) and we are the home of USS Vinson better known as the Osama Bin Laden dumper. LMK

Completed the first leg of my trip today, 500 miles from Reva, VA to Dayton, OH, traveling through the beautiful mountains of Virginia and West Virginia. Definitely noticed a lack of red cars of any make or model on the road today. Plan to visit with family and tour the Air Force Museum tomorrow before heading off to Denver on Friday morning.

Departed Dayton, OH this morning in a fog. Traveled another 650 miles through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, stopping just across the Kansas state line. Should get to my next stop in Bennett, CO tomorrow evening to visit a couple of days with a longtime military friend. Expect to get some photos posted shortly.

Arrived in Bennett, CO late this afternoon where I plan to stay until 20 May when I head into Utah. I've traveled over 1700 miles so far. For those interested in trivia my odometer turned 44444 miles just west of Burlington, CO. I'm finding that most refueling stops include a conversation about the NSX...more specifically what make and model car it is. Today's guesses included a Lambo and the new Corvette.

Attached are photos of the view of the mountains from my location in Bennett, CO as I start west tomorrow morning...

Attachments

• longspike.jpg
    longspike.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 63
  • mtevans.jpg
    mtevans.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 69
best of luck on your journey...btw how do you like the seats on these long runs.Are you calculating your mpg?did you pack light or tuck stuff into every nook and cranny?

best of luck on your journey...btw how do you like the seats on these long runs.Are you calculating your mpg?did you pack light or tuck stuff into every nook and cranny?

Seat is very comfortable...fits me like a glove. Gas mileage so far (26.9, 29.5, 27.9, 27.7). I packed reasonably planning to do some clothes cleaning along the way and have a garment bag tucked behind the passenger seat, but still have space in the trunk for another small suitcase.

Sounds like you're having a great time so far. Keep the pictures coming.

Departed Bennett, CO this morning in rain that turned to snow as I hit the higher elevations. Was glad I had a new set of Conti all season tires! To date have put on over 2200 miles and although the drive through the middle of Colorado was a little dicey, the rest of the trip through Colorado and into Utah was outstanding. Will post some pictures later tonight. Having some computer problems right now.

Based on personal experience so far, five things I think I think IMHO:
1. The NSX in stock form is a great touring car, reasonably quiet and comfortable.
2. The NSX is an eye turner, on the road, in parking lots, in gas stations.
3. There is way too much to see on a trip like this; if I stopped to see everything I'd never get back home.
4. There are a lot of folks who would love to go on a long road trip...for all kinds of reasons.
5. There are more red SUVs ad pickups than red cars on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of my pictures from Colorado and Utah....

Attachments

• Colorado01.jpg
    Colorado01.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Colorado02.jpg
    Colorado02.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Colorado03.jpg
    Colorado03.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Colorado04.jpg
    Colorado04.jpg