• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Retirement Road Trip

I’m retiring on 30 April after 42 years working for the Department of Defense. This career includes 30 years in the Air Force and 12 years as a defense contractor. When I first thought of retiring back in 2008 I bought my NSX as a retirement gift. Now with my retirement official I decided to kickoff this next phase of my life with a 6,500 mile trek in the NSX.

My plan is to depart my home in Northern Virginia sometime in late May and take whatever time it takes to travel first to Dayton, Ohio to visit relatives and then onto Colorado to visit some old military friends. After that I’ll head west to the California coast and drive south along the coastal highway. I’ll return east via a southern route through Arizona and New Mexico, onto Mississippi and Alabama, and then North to Virginia. I enjoy National Parks and plan to visit many along the way.

I'm looking forward to sharing plenty of great experiences at NSXPO 2013 in Oct. Hope to see many of you there.

Dave

Congrats!

If you do the PCH start by Monterey and work south, absolutely incredible scenery... Almost too much to take in.

Hey Dave; If you happen to get to the Finger Lakes region of NY, stop in and see me. If not, good luck with your trip, and I'll see you at NSXPO. Howard

Thanks Howard. Don't plan on getting up your way this time but may do a Northeast trip in the future. Looking forward to seeing you at the NSXPO in NC.

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to see our great country. Enjoy.

Congratulations COMBATDAD. --- Time for you to start collecting new memories.

I'm an Aussie but would still like to say -- "For 42 years you have served your country well" that IS something to be proud of.

Now get out there tear it up and enjoy life. Although you certainly won't be flying under the radar in your bright red NSX. Cheers, TYSAMA.

Congratulations COMBATDAD. --- Time for you to start collecting new memories.

I'm an Aussie but would still like to say -- "For 42 years you have served your country well" that IS something to be proud of.

Now get out there tear it up and enjoy life. Although you certainly won't be flying under the radar in your bright red NSX. Cheers, TYSAMA.

Thanks. Spent two years in your beautiful country, 1977-1979. Great memories...

You know Holland and Grand Rapids MI are great spots in the country.. let me know if you decide to take a slight detour...otherwise, I'll see you in NC. #salute

Dave. !
I love retirement stories!

People moving through the next stage in life, and better yet, knowing what makes them happy, and going for it.

The NSX is an outstanding hi-way car, fun, comfortable, powerful, and a great looker. It attracts a lot of attention and will help create a great story along the way. ( just a little short on trunk space.)

Congrats on a great long career, now next chapter...

Remember, it is re-tire not re-tread, have fun!

The NSX is an outstanding hi-way car, fun, comfortable, powerful, and a great looker.
Agreed - you're in for a real treat! Would love to connect with you while you're rolling through Arizona. If you need advice for accommodations or destinations in this area, let me know. Best of luck with your trip planning. I'm jealous.

Agreed - you're in for a real treat! Would love to connect with you while you're rolling through Arizona. If you need advice for accommodations or destinations in this area, let me know. Best of luck with your trip planning. I'm jealous.

Tyson, this is my brother. You know me from our discussions about you 500+k mile Legend Coupe and the upcoming NSXPO 2013 in Raleigh, NC.

Dave, Tyson owns that gorgeous high mileage Legend Coupe that we have looked at and lusted after. If your journey takes you near him, you'll definitely want to swing by and see his Legend Coupe. He also has an NSX.

John Komar - Co-Chair NSXPO 2013

If you pass through the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area please let me know. New Mexico is a beautiful place. I'm sure a couple of us "Road Runners" could meet up with you!

If you pass through the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area please let me know. New Mexico is a beautiful place. I'm sure a couple of us "Road Runners" could meet up with you!

Once I start my trip I'll be posting my progress on this thread. I plan to go through Albuquerque. Hope we can meet up.

The Road Runners are always happy to greet a fellow NSXer. We look forward to your arrival. Of course, you'll want to try our red and green chile if you have time for a bite to eat. It's like nothing you have in Va! Your taste buds have been warned...

Philippe

I’m retiring on 30 April after 42 years working for the Department of Defense. This career includes 30 years in the Air Force and 12 years as a defense contractor. When I first thought of retiring back in 2008 I bought my NSX as a retirement gift. Now with my retirement official I decided to kickoff this next phase of my life with a 6,500 mile trek in the NSX.

Dave

Sounds like a great gift to yourself Dave. I retired from the AF 15 yrs ago and been a Gov civ since so I know that you've earned it. I envy you getting to spend so much quality time in a GT car as epic as the NSX; it just can't get any better. Be sure to keep us posted during your travels and if you decide to stop over in Vegas dinner's on me.

Butch C.

Hey, Dave. If your journey takes you through MS on US 90 or I-10, let us know. We would love to hook up with you.

We will be in Vegas the week of June 24 ourselves. Flying out for a wedding at the Grand Canyon, then on to Vegas with side trips to Science of Speed (I hope), Hoover Dam, and a day trip to Zion National Park.

First, thanks for your service to our country... second, if your trip bends through San Francisco, please stop by for a Dr. Pepper or something. Private me if you'd like to do so.

Hey, Dave. If your journey takes you through MS on US 90 or I-10, let us know. We would love to hook up with you.

Thanks for the offer. Right now I am planning to go through MS via I-20. Want to visit Vicksburg National Military Park and a couple of other parks up that way. I spent considerable time along the Gulf Coast during my military career and have already seen a lot of the southern part of the state. Hope to see you at NSXPO!

A couple threads about road trips I have enjoyed:

Very good information on how to pack your NSX, and a great trip.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/167359-7-days-7-321kms-Western-USA-QPDO-style!?highlight=zion

The following has info about Crater Lake, OR. I greatly enjoyed this park, along with the drive in and out.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/54175-Vacation?highlight=crater

My suggestion: Leave Colorado, drive north through Grand teton and Yellowstone to Glacier NP, drive Going To The Sun Road. It is remarkable.
2012_10_22_10_35_49.jpg304460_2323798422029_1819037044_n.jpg
The road goes up through those mountains. Then drive to to Crater Lake NP, on your way to California.

These are road trips from Hey Skippy... Great stuff!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165486-3-weeks-the-2012-road-trip-begins!-Something-new!!!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/153322-My-2011-NSX-Road-Trip-Thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/140898-Kickass-NSX-Road-Trip-Commencing-2010-09-18
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/140898-Kickass-NSX-Road-Trip-Commencing-2010-09-18?p=1354260&viewfull=1#post1354260

If you want to visit great National Parks then you need to be in Utah, e.g., Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches National Park, Canyonlands, and the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Then hit South Dakota for the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, and the Badlands. You could do these on your way to CO (SD) and after leaving CO (UT)... much more here than in AZ and the SW geo you mentioned. Congrats on the retirement and enjoy your trip! :)

If you want to visit great National Parks then you need to be in Utah, e.g., Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches National Park, Canyonlands, and the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Then hit South Dakota for the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, and the Badlands. You could do these on your way to CO (SD) and after leaving CO (UT)... much more here than in AZ and the SW geo you mentioned. Congrats on the retirement and enjoy your trip! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. There is so much to see in this beautiful country! Actually my trip is a combination of wanting to visit old friends, visit National Parks, travel the Pacific Coast Highway...and just drive the NSX for awhile. In my military career I spent some time in Montana, Wyoming and the Dakota's and visited several of the National Parks there.

But I'm still in the planning stage. In the end though there isn't much that compares to the enjoyment of driving a red NSX with the targa top off no matter what the road...

Back